Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Health, Wellness, and Wellbeing

Lani

Health, Wellness, and Wellbeing

Post by Lani »

Obesity drug trial: One third of participants lose 20 per cent of body weight
https://thenewdaily.com.au/life/wellbei ... 2020210228
US researchers are trumpeting a new drug as a “game changer” in the management of obesity – and for once, a large, gold-standard clinical trial backs up the hype.

A single weekly injection of the drug semaglutide, for 68 weeks, saw an average loss of 15 percent body weight in trial participants.

Those given a placebo, in tandem with a diet and exercise program, lost 2.4 per cent of their body weight.

More than a third of the participants who took the drug lost more than 20 percent of their weight.

This prompted the ordinarily sober New York Times, citing the researchers, to write: “For the first time, a drug has been shown so effective against obesity that patients may dodge many of its worst consequences, including diabetes.”
The drug was approved in 2017 and is already being used in Australia with good results.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Lani

Re: Health, Wellness, and Wellbeing

Post by Lani »

Unfit and pushed for time? Exercise in four-second bursts throughout the day, says new study
https://thenewdaily.com.au/life/wellbei ... e-routine/

I was looking for this article when I found the weight loss article I just posted. I read the article awhile back and now want to include it in my daily routine.
In the time it takes to read this sentence, you could do a heart-saving workout. No kidding.

A new study found that exercising in four-second go-hard intervals – repeated five times an hour – quickly prods the body to become stronger and fitter.

Further, these micro-workouts helped to improve fat metabolism – overcoming what’s known as ‘exercise resistance’ – and lower triglyceride levels in the bloodstream.

Exercise resistance is where the body has turned into a physiological blob that derives little to no benefit from moving around.

The flat-out intensity of the four-second sprint apparently jolts the body into overcoming that resistance.

These results were attained by middle-aged and older participants (nearly 70 years old) who would otherwise be killing themselves by sitting around for hours at a time.
Moar at the link.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Thanks for both posts, Lani! Very interesting.

:D
Lani

Post by Lani »

Dr. Ayoade Alakija @yodifiji
WOW Flushed face
New HIV vaccine with a 97% antibody response rate in phase I human trials. This is the most effective trial HIV vaccine to date. It is based on the Moderna's COVID vaccine. COVID tech acceleration could change Rx for cancer & HIV in future.

The article is here: https://www.europeanpharmaceuticalrevie ... man-trial/
Novel HIV vaccine approach shows promise in “landmark” first-in-human trial
The vaccine was able to target the desired immune cells and could become the first stage of a multi-step vaccine strategy to combat HIV and various other viral diseases.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Overdose Deaths Have Surged During the Pandemic, C.D.C. Data Shows
The latest numbers surpass even the yearly tolls during the height of the opioid epidemic and mark a reversal of progress against addiction in recent years.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/14/heal ... d=tw-share
More than 87,000 Americans died of drug overdoses over the 12-month period that ended in September, according to preliminary federal data, eclipsing the toll from any year since the opioid epidemic began in the 1990s.

The surge represents an increasingly urgent public health crisis, one that has drawn less attention and fewer resources while the nation has battled the coronavirus pandemic.

Deaths from overdoses started rising again in the months leading up to the coronavirus pandemic — after dropping slightly in 2018 for the first time in decades — and it is hard to gauge just how closely the two phenomena are linked. But the pandemic unquestionably exacerbated the trend, which grew much worse last spring: The biggest jump in overdose deaths took place in April and May, when fear and stress were rampant, job losses were multiplying and the strictest lockdown measures were in effect.

Many treatment programs closed during that time, at least temporarily, and “drop-in centers” that provide support, clean syringes and naloxone, the lifesaving medication that reverses overdoses, cut back services that in many cases have yet to be fully restored.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

:o

Fort Worth Star-Telegram
@startelegram
Norovirus resurges as pandemic restrictions end. Can COVID precautions help?

https://t.co/zJMaHvz7D7?amp=1
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Lani

Post by Lani »

As a person with sleep problems, I'm not happy about this.
Sleep deprivation has been linked to hypertension, obesity and diabetes and has long been suspected of having a connection to dementia. Now, a large new study has more clearly established that association by concluding that people who sleep less than six hours a night in midlife have a greater risk of developing late-onset dementia.

That doesn’t mean middle-aged short sleepers should panic, according to experts. Although the study is an important step forward, much about the connection between sleep and dementia remains unknown, they said. Still, it can’t hurt to work on your sleep habits while research continues, and you’ll find some strategies listed below.

In the study, European researchers followed nearly 8,000 people in Britain for 25 years, starting when subjects were 50. They found that those who consistently got six hours of sleep or less per night in their 50s and 60s were about 30 percent more likely to develop dementia later in life, compared to those who logged seven hours of sleep per night. That was independent of “sociodemographic, behavioural, cardiometabolic, and mental health factors,” the study authors wrote. Findings were published in the journal Nature Communications in late April.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyl ... story.html
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Rosacea. I thought it was just something that turned your cheeks pink.

A few months ago I got a little crop of pimples on my nose that I thought was acne. They’d erupt, bleed, scab over, erupt again, but didn’t get any worse than that. But it didn’t clear up so went to the dermatologist who diagnosed rosacea. She prescribed some cream, said it should clear up, which it did. That was two weeks ago.

A few days ago (on the ninth), I noticed more of the pimply things in my forehead right at the scalp line. Within two days it bubbled up like a massive blister, and is way, way worse than the one on my nose. Now I have a scab the size of a quarter on my forehead.

And there appears to be more cropping up on the top of my head. It’s pretty painful.

I tried to get another appointment with the dermatologist, but she’s out until the 22nd (I already have a follow-up for my nose scheduled that day). I’m going to see if I can find someone else tomorrow. This is FREAKING ME OUT!
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

“Historic go-ahead for malaria vaccine to protect African children”:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-58810551

“Children across much of Africa are to be vaccinated against malaria in a historic moment in the fight against the deadly disease.
Malaria has been one of the biggest scourges on humanity for millennia and mostly kills babies and infants.
Having a vaccine - after more than a century of trying - is among medicine's greatest achievements.
The vaccine - called RTS,S - was proven effective six years ago.
Now, after the success of pilot immunisation programmes in Ghana, Kenya and Malawi, the World Health Organization says the vaccine should be rolled out across sub-Saharan Africa and in other regions with moderate to high malaria transmission.
Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, director-general of the WHO, said it was "a historic moment".”
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Great news! :thumbsup:
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Maybenaut, I'm sorry to hear about your skin problems, I hope they get fixed ASAP. :bighug:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

A message from Dr Frankenstein
In a First, Surgeons Attached a Pig Kidney to a Human — and It Worked
A kidney grown in a genetically altered pig seemed to function normally, potentially a new source for desperately needed transplant organs.

By Roni Caryn Rabin
Published Oct. 19, 2021 Updated Oct. 20, 2021, 6:19 a.m. ET

Surgeons in New York have successfully attached a kidney grown in a genetically altered pig to a human patient and found that the organ worked normally, a scientific breakthrough that one day may yield a vast new supply of organs for severely ill patients.

Although many questions remain to be answered about the long-term consequences of the transplant, which involved a brain-dead patient followed only for 54 hours, experts in the field said the procedure represented a milestone.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/19/heal ... human.html
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

My brother's wife gave him a kidney.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

RTH10260 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:44 am A message from Dr Frankenstein

:snippity:
Less Dr. Frankenstein and more Dr. Moreau....
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

:crying:
It has unnerved me, the number of people I’ve spoken to about my nephew’s death in the last few months who have a similar story in their family.

I mourn for every one of them. :crying: The overall toll of the pandemic isn’t just measured in death from the virus.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

:shock:

Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, Musical Asskicking class this morning, first time in the gym (been doing Dancing with Barbells regularly, but not the martial arts class; I usually do that at home).

:boxing:
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Volkonski wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:51 pm :shock:

:confuzzled: I find those creatures at my fruit store as rambutan
Lani

Post by Lani »

I love rambutan, but it kinda looks like coronavirus...
jcolvin2
Verified:

Post by jcolvin2 »

Lani wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:54 am I love rambutan, but it kinda looks like coronavirus...
Rambutan: the punk younger sister of the lichee.

Not to be confused with Durian, the heavy metal pineapple.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Global spread of autoimmune disease blamed on western diet
New DNA research by London-based scientists hopes to find cure for rapidly spreading conditions

Robin McKie Observer science editor
Sun 9 Jan 2022 08.45 GMT

More and more people around the world are suffering because their immune systems can no longer tell the difference between healthy cells and invading micro-organisms. Disease defences that once protected them are instead attacking their tissue and organs.

Major international research efforts are being made to fight this trend – including an initiative at London’s Francis Crick Institute, where two world experts, James Lee and Carola Vinuesa, have set up separate research groups to help pinpoint the precise causes of autoimmune disease, as these conditions are known.

“Numbers of autoimmune cases began to increase about 40 years ago in the west,” Lee told the Observer. “However, we are now seeing some emerge in countries that never had such diseases before.

For example, the biggest recent increase in inflammatory bowel disease cases has been in the Middle East and east Asia. Before that they had hardly seen the disease.”

Autoimmune diseases range from type 1 diabetes to rheumatoid arthritis, inflammatory bowel disease and multiple sclerosis. In each case, the immune system gets its wires crossed and turns on healthy tissue instead of infectious agents.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/202 ... stern-diet
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.insider.com/toxic-chemical- ... men-2022-6
A toxic chemical used in hair products for Black women can fuel breast cancer, study finds

Hair-care and beauty products marketed to Black women often contain a class of hormone-disrupting chemicals called parabens. According to a new study, those chemicals are not only linked to increased breast cancer risk, they can uniquely fuel the spread of cancer cells in Black women compared to white women.

Parabens are a group of chemicals that keep mold and bacteria from growing in beauty products in order to prolong their shelf lives. But in humans, parabens can mimic the hormone estrogen, possibly fueling dangerous cell growth, according to research.

The study, which will be presented today at the Endocrine Society's annual meeting in Atlanta, analyzed the effect parabens had on breast cancer cells from both Black women and white women. Researchers found parabens increased the growth of Black breast-cancer cell lines, but did not effect white breast-cancer cell lines at the same dose.

"Black women are more likely to buy and use hair products with these types of chemicals, but we do not have a lot of data about how parabens may increase breast cancer risk in Black women," Lindsey S. Treviño, the study's lead researcher, said in a press release. "This is because Black women have not been picked to take part in most research studies looking at this link. Also, studies to test this link have only used breast cancer cell lines from white women."
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.aarp.org/health/conditions- ... eople.html
8 Signs of Dehydration You Shouldn't Ignore
From brain fog to muscle cramps, know the signals you may have waited a bit too long to drink up (and why it matters)

Dehydration may seem like something that happens to extreme athletes or someone who has a gastrointestinal illness. But doctors say dehydration is a very real risk for all adults over age 65.

As you get older, your sense of thirst is blunted, so you may not recognize your body's need for fluids, says Ardeshir Hashmi, M.D., section chief of the Center for Geriatric Medicine at Cleveland Clinic.

"On a warm or hot day, without even sensing it, you're losing a ton of fluid,” he says. “In older adults, the same level of dehydration that normally triggers a thirst response may not. The thirst mechanism goes down drastically, especially after age 80.”

Risks of dehydration — and how fever factors in
Unchecked, dehydration can have grave consequences, doctors say. It can cause confusion and weakness or prompt your blood pressure to drop so dramatically that you get dizzy, fall and break a bone. Or you can go into hypovolemic shock, when your blood pressure gets so low that your heart is unable to pump enough blood to the body.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.

Return to “Science”