Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

We haven’t disappeared (Don’t make us worry)

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Re: We haven’t disappeared (Don’t make us worry)

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Bon voyage, Andy. Pics or it didn't happen!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

I’m heading out tomorrow for music camp in Swannanoa, NC. It’s been cancelled for the last two years, so I’m very excited.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Wahoo!!! Have a great time, learn lots! Don’s classes are so fun!

ETA: who’s your roomie?
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

Phoenix520 wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:50 pm Wahoo!!! Have a great time, learn lots! Don’s classes are so fun!

ETA: who’s your roomie?
No roomie.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Maybenaut wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:48 pm I’m heading out tomorrow for music camp in Swannanoa, NC. It’s been cancelled for the last two years, so I’m very excited.
:thumbsup:
101010 :towel:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Maybenaut wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:48 pm I’m heading out tomorrow for music camp in Swannanoa, NC. It’s been cancelled for the last two years, so I’m very excited.
Have fun!
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

:like:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Tiredretiredlawyer

"This one time in band music camp...." :biggrin:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I'm trying, but not having much success adding photos. I think I will have to down-size the files. :oopsy:

So, it was a great trip, but probably my last multiple-location, three-week one! We had beautiful weather 99 percent of the trip. The only place that it really rained was outside the train from the stop before East Glacier NP. It was pouring. It stopped just as our train pulled into the station. We then had two lovely days in the Park before getting back on to Seattle. It's lovely, as always, but the construction is crazy. A policeman told me they are planning to do away with Alaskan Way and turn it into a park, maybe to be completed in another ten years. :eek:

Granddaughter and I did a lot of walking; hubby, considerably less everywhere. The hotels were all great, but the one when we returned to Seattle looked over I-5 from the 20th floor. Noisy. Also, :eek: . My granddaughter said the best lobby was the Big Tree Lodge in Glacier. The best view was out the front door of our cabin, right on the bluff above the ocean at Kalaloch in Olympic National Park. It really was a wonderful part of the trip. I never imagined I would be able to score one of those cabins the last time we were there.

Speaking of trips, I did. Four times, all weird. I have never been so black and blue (plus purple, pink, green, orange). I figure the one high up on my left arm made me look right in style, as it looked like a beautiful tattoo. I expected a shiner from that one, too, I didn't have a mark on my face. That was 6 AM, trying to get to the alarm on my phone in the room with the slippery floor in The Big Tree Lodge. :boxing:

Right out of the train station in Seattle, we got scammed by a fake cab. I lost a credit card in that transaction. I think it fell into a grate in the street as we got out of the "cab." It took me hours to realize it was gone, so I started off the trip in Washington with a cancelled credit card. I realized hours sooner that I had been scammed in the "cab." I managed not to get scammed again, though. :thumbsup:

We stayed in Vampireland (aka, Forks) on the Peninsula for two nights. For about $40 a night more, you could stay in a Twilight Room at our motel. (It actually was a very nice motel.)

Victoria is as almost lovely as ever, but so changed. We were first there about 25 years ago, and then two other times. I think the last time was about eight years ago. There are now high-rise condos all over the place. We always spent a lot of time, along with a lot of other people, in the Inner Harbour. It was such a lovely place to be. Now, it's filled with a private dockyard, and pretty empty of people, except those who had access to the private area. As much as we love Victoria, I think it might be our last time there. :cry:

And, then, I came home with the plague. The End.

Oh, and animal count: bears, mountain goats, an eagle, pronghorn, elk, deer: but no seals, orcas, or whales.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Tiredretiredlawyer

Did grandson go on this trip too?
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:15 pm Did grandson go on this trip too?
No. I'm already starting to work on the plans for a week in Chicago next summer. One night each way on the train; one hotel.

I was talking to his sister on the train coming back. She thought he maybe could have done that trip with us. I still don't. I've still got a few reservations about next summer. They both provide special challenges with eating. Both vegetarian, but both eat very differently. He's allergic to milk products.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

IMG_0486.jpg
IMG_0486.jpg (129.95 KiB) Viewed 953 times
I attached a photo! :dance:

This in the Inner Harbour from our hotel in Victoria. The Coho Ferry is right across the street--handy.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

IMG_0724.jpg
IMG_0724.jpg (96.97 KiB) Viewed 926 times
IMG_0264.jpg
IMG_0264.jpg (200.37 KiB) Viewed 926 times
Attachments
IMG_0185.jpg
IMG_0185.jpg (157.62 KiB) Viewed 926 times
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Wow, those are great, Andy!
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

Wow, Andy -- looks like you had a great trip. And we may have been in the same places at the same time!

We just returned from an Alaska cruise we went on with my sister and brother-in-law -- Seattle, Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Victoria, and back to Seattle.

It was a great trip, but I ate something I'm allergic to. We ate in the same restaurant every meal while on board. I told the server and the maître de about my allergies, and said, hey, if the food's good we'll keep coming back here so I don't have to explain all this to 100 different people. Of course, they had never heard of alpha-gal, the red meat allergy. The food and the service in that restaurant were really, really good - we had the same servers for every meal. The maître de showed me the menu for the following days' meals, and we discussed the ingredients of each dish, and if there wasn't anything on the menu I could choose, I'd have a grilled chicken breast. One night they had Duck Bolognese on the menu. I asked if the ground duck was mixed with ground beef and was assured that it wasn't. [Narrator: there was ground beef in the Duck Bolognese].

I got pretty bad stomach cramps while still at the table (a common symptom for alpha-gal, but not one I had personally experienced - I just thought I'd eaten too much). There was an activity we were going to do that evening - some silly trivia game - but I felt too crappy so I went back to my room to lie down. My brother-in-law texted me and said they were having a lot of fun and we should join in. By then the stomach cramps had subsided, so I decided to go up. We were at this bar for about fifteen minutes, and the back of my head started to itch really bad, then my armpits. Allergic reactions like mine progress - they'll start with itching and hives. Sometimes they stop progressing on their own, and sometimes they don't. And when they progress to the point where my lips or tongue is involved, it's life-threatening, and only medical intervention can help.

I was like, whoa, this is Not Good. I told my husband we had to get to the medical facility immediately. I always carry Benadryl, so I took one of those, and we headed down. The medical facility was hard to find, but I found a security guard and explained to her what was happening. She took me to medical and contacted someone inside, and stayed with me until the nurse came out. By then my body was *covered* in hives.

The nurse was trying to give me an IV but I started vomiting (another alpha-gal allergy symptom I hadn't experienced before). By then it had been about 2 hours since I had eaten. Once that subsided she got an IV in, but the doctor decided that since my throat and tongue weren't involved yet, they'd give me a shot of antihistamines in the ass. He said they like to be prepared for IV meds, but don't like to give them if they don't have to because they come with their own risks that are easier to manage in a fully equipped hospital, but less so on a ship at sea. The IV made me cold. They kept me there for another hour or so while whey waited to see what the antihistamine shot did (it worked). They also gave me Singulair and Benadryl to take for a few days. I took the Benadryl, but my allergist had never suggested Singulair, and when I looked up the side effects (suicidal ideations), I was like, nope.

But that was just a couple of crappy hours on an otherwise really fun trip. They didn't charge me for the medical services, and I got the best haircut I've ever had, so there's that. The weather was beautiful for most of the trip, and the light in the Alaskan sky has a quality that I just can't describe. There was plenty to do on the ship, although I spent most of the time just walking around. We didn't do any excursions. I'm more interested in walking around the town; I like to cut through the tourist area and walk in the residential or regular business areas, and we did a lot of that. We ate at a restaurant in Skagway and overheard the waiter telling someone how to get to a nearby waterfall. It was about a 1.5 mile walk each way, and was very, very beautiful. I got in at least 25K steps every day, whether we were in port or not. I liked Ketchikan (it reminded me a lot of Kodiak, where I lived for a couple of years in the mid-1980s). Juneau was kind of crappy. The non-tourist parts of Juneau are really nice, but far from the ship, and my brother-in-law's chronic leg pain (from his time in Army Airborne) was bad that day, so they didn't want to walk that far. Victoria was fabulous. We only got to spend a few hours there, and I'd really love to go back.

But it was bittersweet. I know I've mentioned this a couple of times, but my sister has early-onset Alzheimers. I hadn't spent this much time with her at a stretch in a really long time, and her daily struggle was a lot more obvious to me. It's really strange how it manifests. We'd be talking about something and she'd ask a question, and then ask that same question over and over again. She'd remember most of what you tell her, but there would be one fact that she couldn't imprint, so she'd keep asking about it. By way of example, I told her I did the TSA Precheck. She asked me what it cost and I told her. Then she asked me, is that per year or does it last for life, or what. I told her it was good for five years. A few minutes later she'd ask, "How long is that TSA Precheck good for?" I would tell her, then a few minutes later she'd ask again. For each one of these events, she could ask the same thing 20 times or more. Whenever this happened, sometimes I'd answer the exact same way and sometimes I'd try to say the same thing using different words to see whether that made any difference (it didn't). She'd also tell the same story over and over - simple stuff - she saw a guy with a t-shirt that said whatever. And all you can do is answer the questions or chuckle at her jokes like you're hearing it for the first rather than the 100th time, because it would be unkind to do anything else.

And if there's an upside (there's not), she's able to access long-buried stuff that she hasn't thought about in years. So we spent a lot of time talking about the fun things we did as kids.

She's acutely aware of what is happening with her, but she's still able to get out and have a good time and wants to do that as much as she can while she can. I'm like, whatever you want to do, we're here to do it with you.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I'm glad your trip was so nice, but I understand about how tough it would be with your sister. My mother didn't have Alzheimer's, but she did have dementia her last few years, so I know the frustration.

We saw cruise ships in port while in Seattle.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

I am departing tomorrow for my aunt's burial in Northwest Kansas and then a couple of days in Nederland, Colorado. I will probably not fully disappear, but I may be less prolific, or not. Since I am driving, there will be extended no Fogbow times so I will end up getting really behind. For the first time, I will be trying an audiobook, or two. Since I cannot seem to get around to reading the print version of Dune, I guess I will go for the audio version.

Among other things, I will be singing and playing the piano (accompanying a family member as well) at this as I have done with all my relative's weddings and funerals. The tenant on the first floor will finally get a reprieve from me singing Silent Noon by Ralph Vaughan Williams, over and over and over again.
101010 :towel:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

:like:
Tiredretiredlawyer

Have a safe journey, N10. May your piano be tuned and your voice in full majesty. :biggrin:
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

northland10 wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:58 pm I am departing tomorrow for my aunt's burial in Northwest Kansas and then a couple of days in Nederland, Colorado. I will probably not fully disappear, but I may be less prolific, or not. Since I am driving, there will be extended no Fogbow times so I will end up getting really behind. For the first time, I will be trying an audiobook, or two. Since I cannot seem to get around to reading the print version of Dune, I guess I will go for the audio version.

Among other things, I will be singing and playing the piano (accompanying a family member as well) at this as I have done with all my relative's weddings and funerals. The tenant on the first floor will finally get a reprieve from me singing Silent Noon by Ralph Vaughan Williams, over and over and over again.
:bighug: We will keep your chair warm for you while you are semi gone. Enjoy Dune. I know what you mean about reading, I was a voracious reader as a youngster and up into my 20's. I still enjoy reading but I'm surprised how hard it seems to be to find the time to do it. :bighug:
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
johnpcapitalist
Verified: ✅ Totally legit!

Post by johnpcapitalist »

Not that I'm terribly prolific here, but somebody might notice if I'm silent. I'm heading to Italy on Friday for two weeks. I wonder if the Olive Garden's in Rome are better than the ones in Topeka. ;)
Tiredretiredlawyer

johnpcapitalist wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:38 am Not that I'm terribly prolific here, but somebody might notice if I'm silent. I'm heading to Italy on Friday for two weeks. I wonder if the Olive Garden's in Rome are better than the ones in Topeka. ;)
Bon voyage! Here is a quote I saved especially for you!

Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring.
—Desmond Tutu
johnpcapitalist
Verified: ✅ Totally legit!

Post by johnpcapitalist »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:48 am Bon voyage! Here is a quote I saved especially for you!

Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring.

—Desmond Tutu
Bravo! Brilliant quote. Thank you!
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

No Fishing at Olive Gardens anyway. :(
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Foggy wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:49 pm No Fishing at Olive Gardens anyway. :(
But can we still cycle there? Asking for a friend.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick

Return to “General Stuff”