Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

We haven’t disappeared (Don’t make us worry)

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Love snakes. Would handle that one cautiously because it's big enough to constrict. :biggrin:
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, here's how bad Oz is.

Our member rikker is an African-American gentleman from Lake Mary, Florida, who rightfully became scared when Trump won the 2016 election*. He called me the next morning early**. He was going to emigrate to Australia. America wasn't safe for a black man.

I don't know how much research he did, but ... he moved to Dallas, Texas instead. Probably a lot safer for a Earthling, maybe. :?

*He wasn't the only one. My kids are Hispanic; they and their black friends were saying goodbye to each other at Southeast Raleigh High. :lol:

** I was driving to the hospital, where ol' Wifehorn had surgery on Election Day. She called me, too also. She was still drugged and woozy, but she managed to say "What happened" and Hillary Clinton stole that for the title of her book. :mad:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

pipistrelle wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 1:02 pm Love snakes. Would handle that one cautiously because it's big enough to constrict. :biggrin:
I used to like snakes a lot, but then something must have happened (though I'm not sure what - maybe a bad dream ot something) and I found myself absolutely terrified of them. I couldn't even handle looking at a picture of one. That seems to have finally mellowed somewhat, though, and settled into a general loathing of them.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Places NOT to go this year.

https://www.fodors.com/news/news/fodors-no-list-2023
Fodor’s No List 2023

Ten regions to reconsider in 2023.

Maybe the world is trying to tell us to slow down. So far this year, we’ve clocked 29 climate-related disasters that have each caused more than a billion dollars worth of damage, from a catastrophic “monsoon on steroids” in Pakistan to a pair of hurricanes that swept away bridges and homes in Puerto Rico and Florida, and record heat waves and drought that killed thousands of people and agricultural crops across Europe. The latter even exposed “hunger stones,” rocks engraved to mark low water levels during historic droughts. A circa 1900 inscription on one in Děčín, along the Elbe River in the northern Czech Republic, reads, “If you see me, then weep”—an ominous reminder that no pocket of the planet has gone untouched by climate change.

For all the good it can do in bolstering local economies and connecting cultures, tourism is a significant contributor to climate change. Three years after the word “covid” entered our daily vocabulary, tourism numbers from April to July 2022 exceeded pre-pandemic levels. Travel currently accounts for about 8% of global greenhouse gas emissions, and is poised to increase by 2030. And there are plenty of unquantified effects of overtourism: stress on supply chains, destruction of wildlife habitat, and overcrowding. As climate change intensifies, the damage may make popular destinations inhospitable to travelers and cause their economies to plummet.

Anti-tourism movements and travel boycotts, especially to destinations accused of human rights or environmental violations, might seem like easy solutions. But they don’t usually have the desired effect. Simply choosing one destination over another doesn’t tell those in power—municipal governments—why you’re spending your dollars elsewhere. More than anyone else, blanket boycotts affect the lowest-paid and most vulnerable workers, typically women, migrants, and people of color.

For this year’s No List, we’re highlighting destinations to reconsider visiting in 2023 in three main categories: natural attractions that could use a break in order to heal and rejuvenate; cultural hotspots that are plagued with overcrowding and resource depletion; and locations around the world immediately and dramatically impacted by water crises.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Tiredretiredlawyer

https://www.gstcouncil.org/gstc-criteri ... or-hotels/
GSTC-Recognized Standards for Hotels

GSTC-Recognized Standards are sustainable tourism standards that adhere to and are equivalent to the GSTC Criteria. This means that the GSTC Criteria are included within the set of standards owned by a Certification Body, by a municipal, provincial, or national tourism authority, by specialized tourism organization, or by large tourism businesses with multiple business units.

GSTC-Recognized means that a sustainable tourism standard has been reviewed by GSTC technical experts and the GSTC Assurance Panel, and deemed equivalent to the GSTC Criteria for sustainable tourism. This means that the GSTC has verified that the standard aligns with the GSTC Criteria and that any additional clauses do not contradict GSTC Criteria requirements. GSTC Recognition does not ensure that the certification process is reliable, only that the set of standards used to certify includes the minimum elements to ensure sustainability. A Certification Body that utilizes a GSTC-Recognized standard may apply for GSTC-Accreditation which relates to the quality and neutrality of their certification process.

The following standards have been Recognized as aligned with the GSTC Industry Criteria for Hotels and Accommodations
(visit here for GSTC-Recognized Standards for Tour Operators)
(visit here for GSTC-Recognized Standards for Destinations)

NOTE:

This is a list of standards. GSTC has NOT analyzed the quality of the process of certification of these standards except those that have been accredited by GSTC.
GSTC does NOT certify directly. The GSTC Criteria appear in this list to clarify the point that Certification Bodies that gain accreditation have the option to certify by using their own GSTC-Recognized standard or by using the GSTC Criteria.

"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Tiredretiredlawyer

From 👆
Green Key Criteria

The Green Key award is a leading standard for excellence in the field of environmental responsibility and sustainable operation within the tourism industry. This eco-label represents a commitment by businesses that their premises adhere to the strict criteria set by the Foundation for Environmental Education (FEE). A Green Key stands for the promise to its guests that by opting to stay with the Green Key establishment, they are helping to make a difference on an environmental level. Green Key is a voluntary eco-label awarded to hotels and other establishments in 65 countries.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I've mentioned it, but I am heading out on the train on Wednesday morning to NYC with the granddaughter. I'll be staying at her place tomorrow night as they are ten minutes from the train station, so will be gone from some time tomorrow until late Sunday night. Might peek in tomorrow yet.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

AndyinPA wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:11 am I've mentioned it, but I am heading out on the train on Wednesday morning to NYC with the granddaughter. I'll be staying at her place tomorrow night as they are ten minutes from the train station, so will be gone from some time tomorrow until late Sunday night. Might peek in tomorrow yet.
Have a blast! Is that wildfire smoke problem from Canada done now?
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Have fun!!
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

:cheer1:
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
jemcanada2

Post by jemcanada2 »

neonzx wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:20 am
AndyinPA wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:11 am I've mentioned it, but I am heading out on the train on Wednesday morning to NYC with the granddaughter. I'll be staying at her place tomorrow night as they are ten minutes from the train station, so will be gone from some time tomorrow until late Sunday night. Might peek in tomorrow yet.
Have a blast! Is that wildfire smoke problem from Canada done now?
Sorry, everyone!

:bag: :bag:

It’s like when we send you cold air in the winter. :bag: :bag:
Tiredretiredlawyer

Have fun, Andy and grand! :biggrin:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

We're back. Train ride going out was great. The hotel was in Chelsea, the flower district, so the street was lined with flower shops, which put out small trees and flowering plants every morning at about 9 AM. Lovely. We spent a day at The Met; a day at the 911 Memorial and a boat trip around Manhattan, Brooklyn, Statue of Liberty area; then a day of shopping. Always found nice restaurants where my granddaughter could find food she really enjoyed (you have no idea how hard that is). The weather was pretty good for July in NYC, mid 80s, some humidity, but I've been there in the summer when it's been a lot worse. No smoke from the fires.

The return train trip was a bit different. We ran into severe storms. Our train made it to Harrisburg, not quite halfway home, and got stopped because 40 miles ahead a severe storm had taken out twenty trees that landed on the tracks. Until they were cleared and the tracks were inspected and good, we stayed in Harrisburg--for five hours. It actually wasn't as bad as it could have been. It was a good place to be stopped. The train was mostly undercover so you could get out and walk around even when it was raining. They kept the café open all the time so food and drink was readily available. Seating is much more comfortable and roomy, so, while five hours wasn't fun, it wasn't awful, and most people seemed to take it well enough. With more storms along the way and some really slow going at first, we got in seven hours late. We were due in at 8 PM; we got in at 3 AM. We went back to my daughter's and just crashed. I got home about 3 PM yesterday afternoon.

By the time I got home, I already had an apology from Amtrak that said that I would be getting an email later this week with a voucher for future travel.

I'll try popping in, but we have the new windows going in starting next Monday, and there's so much to do. :crazy:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Annrc
Verified:

Post by Annrc »

:thumbsup:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Wow! :thumbsup:
Tiredretiredlawyer

:lovestruck:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

While I can post in spite of the problems here, I thought I'd mention that we are off to Seattle and an Alaskan cruise on Thursday. The kids are coming out tomorrow and we have an airport hotel that night for an early morning flight out on Friday morning. The cruise leaves Sunday, so we have a few days in Seattle first. This is a cruise that my husband and I were supposed to take the kids on, but my son is going instead. I am nearly packed and in the middle of going-away chores, but I'll pop in here if I can before we go. We’ll be back the middle of August.
jemcanada2

Post by jemcanada2 »

Have a great time! :bighug: :bighug:
Annrc
Verified:

Post by Annrc »

:thumbsup: Have a great trip!
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Have fun Andy!!!!
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

Of course, I will be arriving just as Andy is leaving. About to head out for a week-and-a-half of camping a bit north of Pitttsburgh (Pennsic, for those that know). :duel:
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

W. Kevin Vicklund wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:50 am Of course, I will be arriving just as Andy is leaving. About to head out for a week-and-a-half of camping a bit north of Pitttsburgh (Pennsic, for those that know). :duel:
You have a lot of fun, too!!
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

W. Kevin Vicklund wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:50 am Of course, I will be arriving just as Andy is leaving. About to head out for a week-and-a-half of camping a bit north of Pitttsburgh (Pennsic, for those that know). :duel:
Very cool! My daughter used to go years ago. :thumbsup:
Tiredretiredlawyer

Bon voyage to you both!

We get the grandgurlzz next week and Biscuit will go to his first bunking party with the granddogs and Pancake.
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

I'm back!
AndyinPA wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:24 am
Very cool! My daughter used to go years ago. :thumbsup:
Awesome! Was she a Pittsburgh native at the time? I've been going since '96 (Pennsic 25), with the exception of last year and the plague years where it was cancelled.

Return to “General Stuff”