Happy Thanksgiving, y'all

You never know, something important could happen.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Turkey is over-rated. I opted for lasagna this year. It's the bringing together of friends and family that is important to me, not the menu (though I do like a good sweet potatoe minus the marshmallow).
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

I was sad that Numbah Two Son didn't make it to T-Day, but otherwise we had a lovely day. I made an executive decision to cook an eye of round instead of a turkey. Turkey takes a while to prepare, and even though my turkey recipe is very good and produces a juicy, flavorful bird, the plain fact is, I don't like the flavor that much. And with only three of us and a big bird, we'd be eating leftovers that I also don't like.

So I made a roast beast, which came out perfectly, and ol' Wifehorn made mashed potatoes, a green bean casserole, and even a dish of stuffing - that would have gone with the turkey, but it gave her a feeling of Thanksgiving.

And I had so much to be thankful for this year, starting with her, as y'all know. And if we only had three people in our family group this year, then three is plenty. We had a quiet, peaceful, wonderful day together, and I walked 3.5 miles along the mighty Neuse River.

Good day. A very good day.

Did I mention the Cowboys beat that team I never liked from our nation's capital? :mrgreen:
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

We had 16 people including us. Of the 16 of us, 9 were adults (one just barely). The rest were kids ranging in age from 1 to 16. There were also 4 dogs, but after a brief visit they stayed mostly down at the cabin and the teenagers went down to let them out and play with them periodically.

The only traditional tg food was pie that I made (3 pumpkin, 1 apple, 1 cherry). We had a ton of food - my daughter made chicken fajitas; my Thai daughter-in-law made Thai food - duck, some kind of soup, beef satay, and a bunch of different sauces; and someone made steak.

My son-in-law stayed on top of the dishes. This was just one more occasion to be grateful for two dishwashers - they were both going non-stop.

We had a great day!
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

That Cowboys matchup looked a bit lop-sided to me, and thought it would look more like Keystone Cops than a football game. We opted to catch up with each other's personal victories of the last year. IE: three old guys with war stories (and videos!) from the recent past minus the rocking chairs and cigars.

The pie Bro #1 brought was classic Portland Earth Mother in a prairie dress whole wheat organic apple and cranberry fare - heavy, dry, and almost flavorless for fifteen bucks. Why get something out of a can when you pay more and have this instead? :) (this is what compost piles are made for!)
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

A trip to Big Lots to use my coupons and then lunch at Denney's. No turkey involved in either and we didn't indict anybody.

Perfect day.
poplove
Verified: ✅💚💙💜☮️💐🌈⚽️✅

Post by poplove »

We had our usual quiet day. Last year hubby and I had mild covid so I wasn't able to shop until I got out of quarantine the day before. I did get most of what I needed from Instacart except a turkey roast. All I could find that day after going to three different stores was tenderloins that tasted like vinegar. I threw out what was left.

But this year I found a fresh 6 lb turkey breast at Sprouts for $24. Totally worth the cost and we have lots of leftovers. Also roasted brussels sprouts and the mashed potatoes were made in the instant pot the night before. And store bought Marie Calendar pumpkin and pecan pies with whipped cream and/or ice cream for dessert.
Mrich

Post by Mrich »

This year has been so chaotic with both my parents having medical issues, so this year we decided to cheat - we ordered a meal from Cracker Barrel. Turkey breasts, cornbread dressing, sweet potato casserole, hashbrown casserole, green beans, gravy, rolls, cranberry relish, and pumpkin and pecan pies! All we had to do is heat it up! All I had to supply was wine!
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

I ate a Huddle House burger and fries....

Then did FAA online safety training...
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor

Return to “Announcements”