Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

The View From Maybelot

Tell us about yourself. But only things you want us to know.
Gene Kooper

Re: The View From Maybelot

Post by Gene Kooper »

Maybenaut wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:26 pm We’ve taken it back to regular road use. It’s quiet, and with the fuel injection and catalytic converter it’s a lot cleaner.
:thumbsup: (I guess the big, single thumbs-up is AWOL in Fogbow Ver. 2.0)

IIRC the stock MG came with a pair of SU carburetors, while the XKE had three. It was a delicate "operation" to get three in sync. I say that because it usually involved a stethoscope.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Mr. Gneiss wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:18 pm
Maybenaut wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:26 pm We’ve taken it back to regular road use. It’s quiet, and with the fuel injection and catalytic converter it’s a lot cleaner.
:thumbsup: (I guess the big, single thumbs-up is AWOL in Fogbow Ver. 2.0)

IIRC the stock MG came with a pair of SU carburetors, while the XKE had three. It was a delicate "operation" to get three in sync. I say that because it usually involved a stethoscope.
Even balancing the two SU carburetors was hard. That’s one of the reasons we went to fuel injection.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Mr. Gneiss wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:18 pm :thumbsup: (I guess the big, single thumbs-up is AWOL in Fogbow Ver. 2.0)
:like: <— what, this one? It's still there.
Image Image Image Image
Gene Kooper

Post by Gene Kooper »

:like:

Yeah, that one. Thanks Estiveo.
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

It’s 56 degrees. The valley is shrouded in fog. Not a cloud in the sky.
► Show Spoiler
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Beautiful. You could produce a book of your Maybelot photos.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

I love those views - an ocean of cotton candy with islands dotting the horizon.
Attachments
Nicolai to Megler Aug 2016.jpg
Nicolai to Megler Aug 2016.jpg (460.42 KiB) Viewed 2326 times
Tiredretiredlawyer

"an ocean of cotton candy" - :daydreaming:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

"Surf's up sticky!" :?
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

Kind of a blustery day here at Maybelot. Fall colors not quite at peak, and would be brighter if the sun should ever come out.
D68C9AEE-828F-4478-8653-A8846B0A3322.jpeg
D68C9AEE-828F-4478-8653-A8846B0A3322.jpeg (159.26 KiB) Viewed 2100 times
EA1BF32F-99EA-4211-8EE8-88F13B01CD08.jpeg
EA1BF32F-99EA-4211-8EE8-88F13B01CD08.jpeg (150.65 KiB) Viewed 2100 times
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:lovestruck:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Heaven.
realist

Post by realist »

Love all the pics. Beautiful place.
Image X 4
Image X 32
Tiredretiredlawyer

Aaaaaaaahhhhhhhh!
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

What a difference a day makes. It’s cold but sunny across the street!
7B67AB03-6731-44A1-BCE0-981C97304A4A.jpeg
7B67AB03-6731-44A1-BCE0-981C97304A4A.jpeg (264.26 KiB) Viewed 2002 times
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Gorgeous. I am so jealous! :biggrin: So glad you are enjoying your place, it is absolutely beautiful.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Our first trip down to Shenandoah was in the fall. It's just gorgeous down there.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

Don’t know how else to post a video here, but fall colors are at their peak today, I think.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

I posted on the Fire! thread about a potential fire at Maybelot.

All is well. Here’s what happened:

The smoke detectors started going off around 2:30 am Saturday morning. There was smoke throughout the house (not a ton, but you could smell it and the air was kind of hazy). The smoke had a chemical/oily smell. Needless to say, I was freaking out!

We couldn’t find the fire so we called 911. A few minutes later some Page County police arrived, then the fire department showed up with three tankers. At first I thought that was overkill until I realized that there are no hydrants up here.

They went all through the house with FLIR devices looking for a heat signature. Nothing.

Turns out it was a perfect storm of events. The previous owners put a roof vent in fairly close to the chimney. The roof vent has a fan that’s supposed to turn on and exhaust excess heat, and in the winter it’s supposed to close. That didn’t work so the vent was open.

The solar guys accidentally knocked some ductwork loose in that same void where the fan is, so there was about a 2” opening in the duct.

We have an electric heat pump with an oil furnace back-up. The oil furnace kicked in when the heat pump couldn’t keep up with the demand. Because the blower was on, the smoke from the oil furnace was rolling down the roof and getting pulled in to the void under the roof, into that gap in the ductwork, and distributed throughout the house.

We removed that fan and filled the hole. It’s not to code here, and even if it were, it’s too close to the chimney.
Tiredretiredlawyer

:bighug:
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

You've still got a ways to go to catch up with your Virginia neighbor, MsDaisy, in the unfortunate adventures category.

I can't even remember them all, but I know she rolled a jeep on her property (but dove clear and didn't get too banged up), and she got attacked by monster zombie hornets or sumpin', just like she and her husband were living in Oz or someplace, and her house was built WAY before the Civil War (really) and so there are ghosts and the joint is trying to fall down all the time except it's pretty well built for the early 1800's.

Anyway, keep us posted. I'm expecting a plague of frogs next. I love a good plague of frogs! :smoking:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

As long as it's not marching frogs.
Image Image Image Image
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

Foggy wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:57 am You've still got a ways to go to catch up with your Virginia neighbor, MsDaisy, in the unfortunate adventures category.

I can't even remember them all, but I know she rolled a jeep on her property (but dove clear and didn't get too banged up), and she got attacked by monster zombie hornets or sumpin', just like she and her husband were living in Oz or someplace, and her house was built WAY before the Civil War (really) and so there are ghosts and the joint is trying to fall down all the time except it's pretty well built for the early 1800's.

Anyway, keep us posted. I'm expecting a plague of frogs next. I love a good plague of frogs! :smoking:
And didn’t she find some old shoes or something? We didn’t find anything interesting like that; just a bunch of construction debris.

No frogs, but we did have a hornets nest living behind our microwave. And it was really horrible. And this year we’ve had a pretty serious infestation of lady bugs. Do you think ladybugs are cute? Not when you’ve got 10 zillion of them. Not cute. Not cute at all.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

It's good you found the cause! If you find any shoes, let them stay. But since it's pretty much died out as a custom, you probably won't.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”