Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Schools, Teachers etc.

neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Re: Schools, Teachers etc.

Post by neonzx »

sad-cafe wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 6:52 pm I am getting out of special education specifically the PBS program

I can't do the hourly meltdowns and anger and fits with no admin support

I am going to finish my career in regular education teaching middle school social studies.

I am very happy about it .
What does this PBS Program thing mean ... you're speaking in code.

I'm happy for you making the career change if it makes you less stressed. :lovestruck:
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

PBS stands for Positive Behavior Support

it is for the emotionally disturbed kids in self-contained.

The hitters, biters, screamers, fit throwers, pants shitters, furniture throwers, wall climbers and a whole host of issues.

My principal asked me to do this position because I make great connections with kids. I tried it for a year, then the pandemic and then district moved that admin.

This year has SSSUUUCCCKKKEEED and I can't do it anymore

I have 4 years left and I just want to teach in peace and do my thing!
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

May things go better than you could hope for.
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

sad-cafe wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 7:58 pm PBS stands for Positive Behavior Support

it is for the emotionally disturbed kids in self-contained.

The hitters, biters, screamers, fit throwers, pants shitters, furniture throwers, wall climbers and a whole host of issues.

My principal asked me to do this position because I make great connections with kids. I tried it for a year, then the pandemic and then district moved that admin.

This year has SSSUUUCCCKKKEEED and I can't do it anymore

I have 4 years left and I just want to teach in peace and do my thing!
I did an internship at a residential treatment center for emotionally disturbed kids. (I didn't know places still had white padded walls but the facility did, and needed it.)

I would get into my car at the end of my shift and cry. I met a 6 year old who scared me when I was being introduced to him. He hadn't spoken a word but truly scared me.

I admire those who work with this population of kiddos. I can't imagine trying to teach a classroom of emotionally disturbed children.

Without adequate admins, the job is impossible.

I applaud you for your work with these kiddos, and for recognizing that the job isn't for you without admin support. Both are difficult.
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

Thank you.

I have cried a LOT and been on edge for the last 36 months.

It is tooo much and my heart hurts from it.
LM K

Post by LM K »

sad-cafe wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 8:31 pm Thank you.

You can't live like that. You shouldn't have to live like that. I absolutely could not work with those kiddos.

I planned to become a clinical psychologist. At the end of that internship, I decided to go into research instead. I'd be a very good clinician. But the job would rip me up.

As sad and heartbreaking as it was to work with those kiddos, I'm tremendously grateful that I did. I learned a lot about myself. Unfortunately I also learned a lot about just how horrific parents can be to their children.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Good luck, Sad-Cafe.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

LM K wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 8:57 pm
sad-cafe wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 8:31 pm Thank you.

You can't live like that. You shouldn't have to live like that. I absolutely could not work with those kiddos.

I planned to become a clinical psychologist. At the end of that internship, I decided to go into research instead. I'd be a very good clinician. But the job would rip me up.

As sad and heartbreaking as it was to work with those kiddos, I'm tremendously grateful that I did. I learned a lot about myself. Unfortunately I also learned a lot about just how horrific parents can be to their children.

OMG yes. I understand how every single student of mine has their issues.

I have made more DCF reports the last two years than I ever did the first 20 years
LM K

Post by LM K »

sad-cafe wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:30 pm
OMG yes. I understand how every single student of mine has their issues.

I have made more DCF reports the last two years than I ever did the first 20 years
That's desperately sad.
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

some of them are horribly disgusting!

one had his older brother and his friend pour milk on his junk and held him down while dogs licked it off
LM K

Post by LM K »

I just received my fall teaching assignment. I will be teaching remotely fall term. Campus is opening but 50% of classes will remain remote.

The soonest I will return to the live classroom is the first week of Jan ... 21 months since campus closed. :shock:

I was wondering if I would need to wear real pants starting in Sept. :whistle:
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

sad-cafe wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 4:49 pm some of them are horribly disgusting!

one had his older brother and his friend pour milk on his junk and held him down while dogs licked it off
I hope that was one you reported to DCF. :shock:
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

oh yes

there is more than that but that is the least offensive!

Many reports on this child's living situation
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

sad-cafe wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 6:07 pm oh yes

there is more than that but that is the least offensive!

Many reports on this child's living situation
Good grief, I'm going to have to retreat to our music thread. What's wrong with peeps?
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

it is horrid
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Our daughter signed her contract with her new school district today. :thumbsup:

Three other teachers from her current district are also moving to her new district. :o Five other teachers in her current district are also leaving.

That's like half of the elementary faculty. The district implemented a new system for grades 4,5 and 6 where each teacher teaches one subject for all three grades. The designated writing teacher was appalled because essays take a lot of time to read and grade.

It also makes it hard to get to know your students when you have six different classes every day.

There is a shortage of certified teachers in TX so teachers who don't like their situation can find new positions fairly easily.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
LM K

Post by LM K »

Volkonski wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:45 pm Our daughter signed her contract with her new school district today. :thumbsup:
:snippity:
:clap: :thumbsup:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Not just a Houston area problem.

Note- Texas schools mostly start teacher in service activities this week or next week. Students start the school year in mid August. It is now very late to be hiring staff.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

I expect pediatric Covid cases to skyrocket in Texas in about 2 weeks. :mad:
Sunrise

Post by Sunrise »

Apparently in Texas it’s not just the horrible choice of books that teachers like Mr. V’s daughter have to be concerned about. The Board of Education also manages to make ridiculously stupid decisions regarding health issues. :brickwallsmall:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Metro Atlanta school districts report hundreds of COVID-19 cases days into school year

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/cobb-c ... 7HPOZ3AMI/
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Our daughter the 2nd grade teacher sent us that Atlanta schools link. She says she expects the same thing to happen in Wichita County schools once they open.

She is very concerned.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Volkonski wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:55 pm Our daughter the 2nd grade teacher sent us that Atlanta schools link. She says she expects the same thing to happen in Wichita County schools once they open.

She is very concerned.
Thanks for the update. :bighug: I know I'm not alone here when I say that I think of your daughter often as these horrors play out. Hoping for vaccine mandate/masks in her school soon.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperi ... nd-summer/
When School Was the Coolest Place to Spend the Summer
The time thousands of Mississippi students chose to spend their summer learning.

During one long, hot summer, thousands of Mississippians engaged in a radical educational experiment. They were students in Freedom School, an alternative academic experience sponsored by the Council of Federated Organizations, or COFO. In summer 1964, COFO, an umbrella group for several civil rights organizations, brought more than 700 student volunteers from colleges across the country to help Mississippi’s Black residents register to vote. That project came to be known as Freedom Summer, with Freedom Schools as an essential element.

A typical day at a Freedom School started at 9 a.m. with singing and a briefing on current events, followed by citizenship class and then a choice of art, auto mechanics, dance, drama, games, guitar or sports. Afternoon sessions offered subjects such as French, comparative religion and playwriting. Students met in churches, homes and outside under the glaring sun; they ranged in ages from four to 25. All of them were Black.

At a time when education was still segregated in Mississippi, Freedom School was a threatening prospect—and as such, it was met with violence. Despite the danger, students came, and in numbers far beyond what COFO had expected. Where organizers had planned on 20 schools and 1,000 students, the network ultimately grew to 41 schools serving more than 2,000 students.

Through lessons in African-American history and Mississippi politics, Freedom School teachers sought to link education to political action. They wanted to offer what COFO activist Charlie Cobb described as “our own institutions to replace the old, unjust, decadent ones which make up the existing power structure.” Eleven-year-old Rosalyn Waterhouse of the Meridian Freedom School put the program’s pedagogical aims in simpler terms. “I am a Negro and I want to be free as any other child,” she wrote in a poem composed that summer. “To wander about the house and the woods and be wild./ I want to be Free, Free, Free.”
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”