Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Schools, Teachers etc.

Phoenix520
Verified:

Re: Schools, Teachers etc.

Post by Phoenix520 »

:thumbsup:
Coolness.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Our older daughter started going into school to prepare her classroom yesterday.

Meet the teachers evening is August 16th.

Regular classes begin the next week.

She actually gets only 2 months off in the summer.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Let the church get them first. :mad:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

AndyinPA wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:44 pm Let the church get them first. :mad:
It disturbs me greatly that people like this are taking over our local school boards. We opted out of public school here because the local school was frankly just too Trumpy. We tried to ask about covid protocols and just got shut down completely, as vaccinations and preventative measures are a personal choice and the school refused to play a role in it. And were a little put out that we asked about that and diversity, implying to us that we were strange and racist. A school a little further down the street actually uses Hillsdale materials. We're going to be turning out some messed up young adults at this rate.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Other nations around the globe will notice the large scale disruption of intellectual advancement in the coming decades and gleefully rub their hands :twisted:
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

That man looks like he’d whup ya good if you so much as went to the bathroom without his permission. Then I read the article. He is who he looks like. Hates everyone.
raison de arizona

Phoenix520 wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 2:44 pm That man looks like he’d whup ya good if you so much as went to the bathroom without his permission. Then I read the article. He is who he looks like. Hates everyone.
Hey Foggy, how the heck did this guy even get elected? He seems awful extreme for NC, but then everyone personally know there is a liberal NY transplant so maybe I have a slanted view.

My kid loves history, has for years. I can't imagine not teaching it until junior high. Science as well. That's just crazy talk. :crazy:
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

NC is a purple state, with some odd results. I'm very disheartened with the number of Trumpists, but who isn't?

Although we are the 9th most populous state, a LOT of it is rural and poor, with low levels of education.

I mean, we're not as bad as No. 8 :lol: but we need some serious upgrades to our demographics.
Out from under. :thumbsup:
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

Volkonski wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 4:18 pm
one year our district handed us all framed In God We Trust crap and made the janitors hang them all up

the next day mine fell off the nail and broke all over the place-I never got a new one
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

We've had issues in the past where extremists took over school boards and pretty much the next election they were mostly booted out, at least that's how it worked out in my parts. Not sure if this will happen again, but this is one case where I hope history will repeat itself.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

RTH10260 wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 2:39 pm Other nations around the globe will notice the large scale disruption of intellectual advancement in the coming decades and gleefully rub their hands :twisted:
That's exactly what I see happening. Conservatives are dying to make the U.S. a last-in-place country, and I cannot figure out why. Oh, yeah, America First. Or something.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

RVInit wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 5:10 pm We've had issues in the past where extremists took over school boards and pretty much the next election they were mostly booted out, at least that's how it worked out in my parts. Not sure if this will happen again, but this is one case where I hope history will repeat itself.
How long are terms? If two-year, probably okay. If six-year...yowza.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

pipistrelle wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:02 pm
RVInit wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 5:10 pm We've had issues in the past where extremists took over school boards and pretty much the next election they were mostly booted out, at least that's how it worked out in my parts. Not sure if this will happen again, but this is one case where I hope history will repeat itself.
How long are terms? If two-year, probably okay. If six-year...yowza.
Two
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

pipistrelle wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:01 pm
RTH10260 wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 2:39 pm Other nations around the globe will notice the large scale disruption of intellectual advancement in the coming decades and gleefully rub their hands :twisted:
That's exactly what I see happening. Conservatives are dying to make the U.S. a last-in-place country, and I cannot figure out why. Oh, yeah, America First. Or something.
Their electoral strategy is to appeal to the lowest common denominator of IQs...
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

‘Don’t say trans’: Texas school board’s new policies spark an outcry
The Grapevine-Colleyville Independent School District policies include a total ban on all classroom discussion of ‘gender fluidity’

By Anne Branigin
August 24, 2022 at 12:44 p.m. EDT

In the early hours of Tuesday morning, after a “marathon” school board session featuring four hours of debate from parents, students and community members, the Grapevine-Colleyville Independent School District in North Texas narrowly passed a sweeping set of policies that includes a total ban on all classroom discussion of “gender fluidity.”

The new rules also impose more limits on how race, gender and sexuality is taught; restrict which bathrooms transgender youths can use; and give greater power to the school board to determine which books are available in school libraries.

Last year, state lawmakers passed a law limiting how race, slavery and history are taught in public schools. The district made national headlines then, too, after a Black principal was put on leave after being accused of teaching critical race theory.

A Black principal was accused of embracing critical race theory in the classroom. He’s now out of a job.

The new rules — which passed in a 4-3 vote — are indicative of how school boards have become the “epicenter” of efforts to push anti-inclusive policies, LGBTQ and civil rights advocates say. GCISD is among a “cluster” of districts moving to further restrict education in this way, according to Kate Huddleston, a staff attorney at the American Civil Liberties Union of Texas.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... say-trans/
raison de arizona

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

The schools I attended in Massachusetts 60 years ago did not have AC but it didn't matter since it never got very hot in the Spring or the Fall and summer school wasn't yet a thing. They had heat in the Winter. :thumbsup:

These sudden early dismissals are hard on parents many of whom can't just take time off from their jobs.
raison de arizona

An Ohio man quit his job as a teacher after six years to work at a Walmart because it pays $12,000 more per year
  • An Ohio man recently quit his job as a teacher for a position at Walmart instead.
  • Seth Goshorn says the reason he switched jobs was simple: The Walmart role would pay $12,000 more.
  • He'll make $55,000 a year there before bonuses, compared to the $43,000 he made as a teacher after working 5.5 years in education, he told GMA.
:snippity:
https://www.businessinsider.com/ohio-te ... tok-2022-7
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

A large focus by the Christian Coalition was to take over school boards. I have to wonder if some of those who were elected found that being on the school board was not what they thought it would be as much of their time is made up of things like budgets and staffing.
101010 :towel:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

I have one foot out the door
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Texas doesn't have a snowball's chance in heck of doing this.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Well, they have to put someone in front of the classrooms.

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”