Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Schools, Teachers etc.

Volkonski
Verified:

Schools, Teachers etc.

Post by Volkonski »

Yesterday our daughter who usually gets home from her school about 5 PM got home at about 6:30 PM. She stayed late to prepare info for a substitute teacher who will take her place on Monday while she does mandatory training. So this article caught my attention.

Schools face a substitute teacher crisis. These districts are getting creative to fix it.
In Missouri, a barrel company's employees serve as substitute teachers. In Connecticut, a superintendent turns to recent high school grads.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/education/ ... d_ms_tw_ma
Many school districts report a daily struggle to put adults in front of students. They have pulled administrators out of offices and into classrooms, canceled professional development sessions and asked teachers to give up planning periods and juggle multiple classes. When all else has failed, they've sent students home to virtual learning.

The pandemic has exposed chronic staffing shortages in the country's schools. Even before the coronavirus hit, schools were able to fill only about 54 percent of 250,000 teacher vacancies each day, according to a survey of more than 2,000 educators released early last year by the EdWeek Research Center. Now the shortages are much worse, district leaders and principals say, because the need has grown significantly, even as the job has become more risky. Many retired teachers, a group districts often tap for help, have opted not to sub and risk exposure to the virus, while parents who seek substitute jobs for part-time income have stayed home to supervise children learning online.

The desperate search for substitute teachers has led some states and school districts to lower qualifications for the people entrusted to educate and supervise America's schoolchildren at a moment when learning losses are already stacking up.

Snip-

The shortages, and how states respond to them, could have long-term consequences: Studies have documented that just 10 days of teacher absences can result in lower math and English language arts test scores for elementary school students. And not all substitute teachers are equally qualified; those with training and certifications are more effective than those with minimal credentials. Research also shows that schools with high poverty rates and large numbers of Black and Latino students have the greatest difficulties finding qualified substitutes to cover classes.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Re: Schools, Teachers etc.

Post by Volkonski »

They found a substitute for our daughter so she is off in training today. The training is in our city so she got to sleep in this morning. However she had to spend much of the weekend doing pretraining worksheets and readings.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Assistant principal, daughter charged in computer hack to steal homecoming queen vote

https://www.texomashomepage.com/news/as ... socialflow
The Florida Department of Law Enforcement arrested a mother and daughter accused of illegally accessing hundreds of student accounts to rig the vote and crown the teen homecoming queen.

Laura Rose Carroll, 50, and her daughter, 17, are charged with offense against users of computers, computer systems, computer networks, and electronic devices; unlawful use of a two-way communication device; criminal use of personally identified information; and conspiracy to commit these offenses.

The alleged scheme took place at Tate High School in Pensacola, where Carroll’s daughter was enrolled. Carroll worked as an assistant principal at an elementary school in the same district at the time.

In October 2020, hundreds of votes for Tate High School’s Homecoming Court were tagged as fraudulent, with 117 votes originating from the same IP address linked to Carroll’s phone.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

As Pandemic Upends Teaching, Fewer Students Want to Pursue It
Disruptions to education during the pandemic are turning people away from a profession that was already struggling to attract new recruits.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/27/us/c ... &smtyp=cur
Few professions have been more upended by the pandemic than teaching, as school districts have vacillated between in-person, remote and hybrid models of learning, leaving teachers concerned for their health and scrambling to do their jobs effectively.

For students considering a profession in turmoil, the disruptions have seeded doubts, which can be seen in declining enrollment numbers.

A survey by the American Association of Colleges for Teacher Education found that 19 percent of undergraduate-level and 11 percent of graduate-level teaching programs saw a significant drop in enrollment this year. And Teach for America, which recruits recent college graduates to teach in low-income schools across the country, said it had received fewer applications for its fall 2021 corps compared with this period last year.

Many program leaders believe enrollment fell because of the perceived hazards posed by in-person teaching and the difficulties of remote learning, combined with longstanding frustrations over low pay compared with professions that require similar levels of education. (The national average for a public-school teacher’s salary is roughly $61,000.) Some are hopeful that enrollment will return to its prepandemic level as vaccines roll out and schools resume in-person learning.

But the challenges in teacher recruitment and retention run deeper: The number of education degrees conferred by American colleges and universities dropped by 22 percent between 2006 and 2019, despite an overall increase in U.S. university graduates, stoking concerns about a future teacher shortage.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Our daughter the teacher has to be at her school at 7 AM to tend her (2nd grade) students at breakfast. (Most of her students qualify for free or reduced price breakfasts.) Classes begin at 8 AM and continue until 3:30 PM. She stays at the school until 4:30 PM on normal days to do prep work and be available for phone calls with parents.

This week on Thursday she didn't get home until 6 PM because of an issue with a student who is failing (scored 30% on a multiple choice spelling test, for example.) Yesterday she didn't get home until 7 PM because of a discipline issue (a (7 year-old) student called another student "faggot"). Such late days usually happen at least once a week.

Our daughter teaches in class students and at home virtual learning students (using Chromebooks) at the same time. That means teaching her in class students with a Chromebook in front of her.

Yesterday she learned thru the grapevine that the administrators are scheduling an Easter egg hunt for next Thursday. She and her fellow teachers are expected to fill a thousand plastic eggs with candy for this event. The PTA, which would usually do such things, can't because of the pandemic. This event messes up our daughter's lesson plan for Thursday. Also it was the end of a grading period yesterday so she has to calculate and upload grades this weekend.

It is a wonder anyone stays in teaching.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Jacob Carpenter
@ChronJacob
BREAKING: Texas Education Agency reporting issues with state's online STAAR platform. Extent of problem not immediately clear.

About 13% of students took STAAR online in 2018-19. Texas is moving toward nearly all students taking STAAR online by 2022-23.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Statewide outage impacting online portion of STAAR exams, TEA says
This school year, the STAAR tests are being administered on paper, online or a combination of the two.

https://www.khou.com/article/news/educa ... daf54f269d
"Texas Education Agency has informed us of a statewide outage in the online administration of the STAAR exams today. Some of our online test takers have been affected, others have not. We will provide updated information as it becomes available," Spring Branch ISD tweeted.

:snippity:

"The District is waiting on guidance from the Texas Education Agency on how these students will make up their test and will share that information. Please note, this is a statewide issue, and is not specific to our District," tweeted Fort Bend ISD.

Other district school officials also said campuses will be in touch with parents once the TEA determines whether students will be able to continue with online testing.
It's a mess.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Beginning in February 2022 our daughter's district will switch to a 4 day week. School days will be 20 minutes longer. No school on Fridays.

Superintendent says he’s working with the high school to train students to be babysitters on Fridays for parents who them.
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

Volkonski wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 1:44 pm Beginning in February 2022 our daughter's district will switch to a 4 day week. School days will be 20 minutes longer. No school on Fridays.

Superintendent says he’s working with the high school to train students to be babysitters on Fridays for parents who them.
For some reason this angers me. I understand that parents desperately need childcare. I think I'm being irrational. Most teens are already babysitting their sibling.

This points out how reliant we are on teachers to be babysitters.
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

LM K wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 1:56 pm
Volkonski wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 1:44 pm Beginning in February 2022 our daughter's district will switch to a 4 day week. School days will be 20 minutes longer. No school on Fridays.

For some reason this angers me. I understand that parents desperately need childcare. I think I'm being irrational. Most teens are already babysitting their sibling.

This points out how reliant we are on teachers to be babysitters.
Part of the reason behind the 4 day week is to improve teacher retention. Several teachers in our daughter's school already do not plan to return next year. Other are still thinking about it. The administrators are struggling to find carrots to offer that don't cost anything to implement.
LM K

Post by LM K »

Employees and faculty at my college received an interesting email last week.

From the email:
"Yesterday, on a call with higher education leaders throughout the state, OHA State Health Officer and Epidemiologist Dr. Dean Sidelinger indicated that, due to the current surge, it would likely be a few more weeks until we receive any additional guidance from the state. Yet he remained optimistic that the worst is behind us and that Fall 2021 would look more like Fall 2019 than Fall 2020. He indicated that as we move through the summer into fall, the 6 ft social distancing requirements and capacity limits would likely go away, but indoor masking would remain."
Faculty were then asked to complete a survey regarding these plans. Approximately a week previously, the faculty union had sent out a lengthy and detailed survey to assess faculty's thoughts on returning to the classroom. My union is amazing.

In the 5 question survey :roll: sent by the college, I explained that the college would have a fight on it's hands if they deviated from the CDC guidelines. I can't imagine any faculty willingly teaching in the classroom without social distancing. Most of our classrooms are limited to 40 seats. Students sit at tables and are right on top of each other.

The college is considering requiring that students, staff, and faculty, be vaccinated before being allowed on campus. But variants continue to evolve, and our knowledge about vaccine efficacy for variants is limited. And how exactly will the college confirm vaccinations? There are fake vaccine cards floating around.

I'm really frustrated by this recent email. I believe my college has done better than most to keep students, staff, and faculty safe. Very few classes have met on campus since March 21, 2020. Everyone is ready to be back on campus. On campus classes are set to resume at the end of Sept, 2021.

Vaccination rates in my community seem good at this time.
Total persons fully vaccinated: 129,900 (+2,495 since 5/3)
Total persons received first dose only: 49,981
Total doses administered:302,899

Percentage of Lane County adult population receiving at least one dose: 58.18%
Percentage of Lane County adult population fully vaccinated: 42.02%
Percentage of Lane County total population fully vaccinated: 34.29%
I don't understand why the college thinks we can fill up classrooms without social distancing in a few months.

Thankfully, the college is having fewer on campus classes this fall. Facility will be trained on teaching a new class program called Hyflex. However, it looks like the college would like some classes to return to the traditional on campus classroom system without social distancing.

:brickwallsmall:

ETA: When the college says "capacity limits would likely go away", they are indicating that 0 feet of social distancing will occur.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

I've been having long discussions with my high school teacher daughter and it has been interesting, to say the least. She's on several "subversive" (her word, not mine, meaning they don't necessarily buy into whatever the current administrators decide is going to be the program they follow) education chat boards with other teachers, both here and abroad at all levels of the ed system. Their take on it is this;

Grade levels and mandated knowledge for each level is an artificial, arbitrary decision based on chronology and who the hell knows what else. If it was carved in stone it wouldn't change every few years and it wouldn't matter if your birthday was July 1 or Sept 1. Every child born after Sept 1 is already a "year behind" anyway, and now they say if you don't have your kid in K4 and K5 before they ever start school they're a "year behind" all the other kids. So fucking what if every kid in the entire world is a "year behind" the arbitrary place somebody else thinks they should be. She and her friends are seeing much more mental anguish from kids, and their parents, struggling with trying to keep up so they won't be a "year behind." Teachers are leaving by the droves because of the additional stress and responsibilities foisted on them in the last year, and a surprising number of them are in serious mental crisis because they DO want to help their kids but can't. They're working so hard to just stay above water with tech issues, grading programs, ever-changing schedules, and even more than normal overloaded classes they don't have the time or mental energy to reach out to the kids who really need their help, whether it be for the assignments or personal issues at home. The general consensus seems to be that this year should have been less stressful, rather than more. More emphasis should have been placed on the kid's well-being than getting a fucking passing grade on some test the teacher has never even seen before and can't access on her computer half the time. They could just as easily have spent this time working towards more tech knowledge with the kids, will actually be useful for them in the future, than worrying about slave driving them all into breakdowns over the new math or some such shit.

I know this is probably an unpopular outlook on it, but she and her friends who are actually doing the work of teaching our next generation make a lot of sense. They're on the front lines and are all well-educated, and I tent to listen to the people who are in the middle of it.
LM K

Post by LM K »

sugar magnolia wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 3:50 pm I've been having long discussions with my high school teacher daughter and it has been interesting, to say the least. She's on several "subversive" (her word, not mine, meaning they don't necessarily buy into whatever the current administrators decide is going to be the program they follow) education chat boards with other teachers, both here and abroad at all levels of the ed system. Their take on it is this;

Grade levels and mandated knowledge for each level is an artificial, arbitrary decision based on chronology and who the hell knows what else. If it was carved in stone it wouldn't change every few years and it wouldn't matter if your birthday was July 1 or Sept 1. Every child born after Sept 1 is already a "year behind" anyway, and now they say if you don't have your kid in K4 and K5 before they ever start school they're a "year behind" all the other kids. So fucking what if every kid in the entire world is a "year behind" the arbitrary place somebody else thinks they should be. She and her friends are seeing much more mental anguish from kids, and their parents, struggling with trying to keep up so they won't be a "year behind." Teachers are leaving by the droves because of the additional stress and responsibilities foisted on them in the last year, and a surprising number of them are in serious mental crisis because they DO want to help their kids but can't. They're working so hard to just stay above water with tech issues, grading programs, ever-changing schedules, and even more than normal overloaded classes they don't have the time or mental energy to reach out to the kids who really need their help, whether it be for the assignments or personal issues at home. The general consensus seems to be that this year should have been less stressful, rather than more. More emphasis should have been placed on the kid's well-being than getting a fucking passing grade on some test the teacher has never even seen before and can't access on her computer half the time. They could just as easily have spent this time working towards more tech knowledge with the kids, will actually be useful for them in the future, than worrying about slave driving them all into breakdowns over the new math or some such shit.

I know this is probably an unpopular outlook on it, but she and her friends who are actually doing the work of teaching our next generation make a lot of sense. They're on the front lines and are all well-educated, and I tent to listen to the people who are in the middle of it.
:yeahthis:

This past year has been hell for K-12 teachers. I can't imagine trying to teach youngster everyday via zoom. K-12 educators don't just teach kiddos online; they have to work with parents, too. Parents that are angry, overwhelmed, exhausted, and often rely on teachers to be babysitters.

Please hug your daughter for me. I respect her so damn much.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

LM K wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:27 pm This past year has been hell for K-12 teachers. I can't imagine trying to teach youngster everyday via zoom. K-12 educators don't just teach kiddos online; they have to work with parents, too. Parents that are angry, overwhelmed, exhausted, and often rely on teachers to be babysitters.
How were teachers supposed to adapt to zoom/online teaching. How were kids supposed to get one-on-one help from their teachers (like they could do in a classroom setting). It's hard enough enough to be a teach in a classroom -- but online where in most places there is already excessive student-teacher ratio.

Down here in Lee County, FL, we have a teacher shortage in our district. They are trying desperately to find and hire more teachers -- I think because many have quit out of sheer exhaustion.
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

It has been hell!!!

We use Teams and I swear, if I hear that stupid little ding at all after this year, I might throw my new "wonderful" surface pro out the window.

Imagine teaching EDD ODD ADHD and autism through teams and then the district brought back kids but some remained online. Currently, all teachers EXCEPT PBS have either Teams or in person.

I have both with the most eruptive/destructive kids.

I don't get paid enough for this shit
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

As I alluded to up thread our daughter's school district is implementing some changes for the coming year. Also our daughter has been having some conflicts with administrators she thinks are not doing what is needed about various matters.

So she floated herself out on the unofficial teachers' employment grapevine last week.

A grape she had worked with before recommended her to a another local district 2 days ago. Her interview was today.

She was offered and accepted the job! :thumbsup:

Same grade level. :thumbsup: Salary will be higher. :thumbsup: Plus fully funded medical. :thumbsup:

New single school building so won't have to take students outside between buildings in bad weather. :thumbsup:

Commute time will be halved (to about 13 minutes each way) and facing away from the sun. :thumbsup:

She'll get home 30 to 60 minutes earlier every day. :thumbsup:

Double prep periods. :thumbsup:

Class size 16 to 17. :thumbsup:

:bunny:

She will have to to teach all subjects, not just her preferred non-STEM subjects, but with a live-in husband and father with graduate engineering degrees she has resources to draw on. :biggrin:
Lani

Post by Lani »

Good for her! :thumbsup:
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

:bunny: :bunny: :bunny:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Excellent! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

:thumbsup:

Celebrating Teacher Appreciation Week: WFISD

https://www.newschannel6now.com/2020/05 ... eek-wfisd/
Parents around the world are learning just how grateful they are for teachers during this pandemic and so what a perfect time for Teacher Appreciation Week to come up on the calendar.

We’ll be highlighting teachers all week long and for Monday, we’re thanking teachers in the Wichita Falls ISD.

Some teachers have been taking special steps to meet with their students, including online chats or drive-by visits.
LM K

Post by LM K »

I'm thrilled for your daughter, Volkonski!
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

My daughter was in charge of her son's school's Teacher Appreciation Week. She and her team provided a lunch to all the teachers and staff at his school yesterday. It was not an easy task. Originally, it was supposed to be delivered, but that got messed up because the order was so large. Deal Dash is not her friend. In the end, she delivered specially ordered meals tailored to each person to all the teachers herself yesterday. Every inch of her car had food in it.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
LM K

Post by LM K »

AndyinPA wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 1:58 pm My daughter was in charge of her son's school's Teacher Appreciation Week. She and her team provided a lunch to all the teachers and staff at his school yesterday. It was not an easy task. Originally, it was supposed to be delivered, but that got messed up because the order was so large. Deal Dash is not her friend. In the end, she delivered specially ordered meals tailored to each person to all the teachers herself yesterday. Every inch of her car had food in it.
Please thank her for me!! Every single expression of appreciation is desperately needed.

We in higher ed haven't struggled nearly as much as 12-K teachers. K-12 teachers have been torn to shreds during the pandemic. Some parents and politicians have been vicious during the pandemic. My friends who teach K-12 are so brokenhearted.

A friend of mine has been teaching kindergarten remotely for over a year. Before schools reopened, she had to remove all books, all toys, and all decorations from her classroom.

Imagine trying to keep 5 year olds in their socially distanced desks each day, all day. Imagine trying to keep 5 year olds from touching each other (we are social beings critically dependent on touch).

Oh, and recess is done at student's desks. No outside recess. No interactive recess.

Teachers (including those in higher ed) have never worked so much unpaid overtime. We've been desperate to be back with our students.

Journalists have been harsh on all educators. The myth is that we ridiculously refuse to return to the classroom. That's absolutely not true. We simply wanted to be fully vaccinated before returning to campus and a guarantee that schools would enforce all necessary safety regulations. (Many states have not enforced the social distancing and mask rules. Some states are doing brilliantly.)

Teachers need EVERY expression of appreciation right now.

Again, please thank your daughter for me. She went the extra mile to show teachers that they are respected and appreciated.
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

I am getting out of special education specifically the PBS program

I can't do the hourly meltdowns and anger and fits with no admin support

I am going to finish my career in regular education teaching middle school social studies.

I am very happy about it .
Lani

Post by Lani »

I'm happy for you! :bighug:
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”