Schools, Teachers etc.

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Schools, Teachers etc.

Post by raison de arizona »

Local residents point out in the comments that the school district has had this policy for over ten years, and that students/parents agree to abide by it when receiving a parking pass. Also, way to go drop out! That'll teach them!
'I was representing a big flag': Student says free American flags won't solve the issue

Just 24 hours after a controversy over a student with American flags on his truck, Bedford County Schools is looking to provide free flags and decals to their students.

According to BCPS, they are partnering with local patriotic organizations to provide these flags to students.

Last Wednesday, Staunton River High School student Christopher Hartless drove to school with two American flags on his truck. Once at school, BCPS leaders told Hartless to remove his flags as they are breaking the student parking code. Hartless did not remove them and went on to class.
► Show Spoiler

While in first period, he was told to remove them again and lost his parking pass. After that, his parents pulled him from school and Hartless said he is now being homeschooled.

Tuesday afternoon, BCPS sent out a release saying they are going to be providing students with free flags and decals of the flag that are the right size.

The full release is below:
"A recent news story raised concerns about the Student Driver Contract for the Bedford County Public Schools (BCPS). The contract, which has been in place in all three of the high schools for over a decade, prohibits student drivers from flying large flags or banners on their vehicles, due to their potential to distract or obstruct the view of student drivers as they are navigating the school parking lot. The underlying concern for this rule is student safety. As expressed in School Board Policy IEA: Promotion of Patriotism, the school division is committed to teaching students good citizenship skills that include respect for the country, the American flag, and the sacrifices of service members and their families. In partnership with several local patriotic organizations, BCPS is proud to announce a community fundraiser to provide complimentary car flags and decals of the American Flag, of appropriate size to be safely displayed on vehicles, for junior and senior student drivers. If you would like to support this initiative, a monetary donation can be dropped off at any of the following locations:
:snippity:
100% of the proceeds collected will be used to purchase American flags and decals made in the United States. Students, who are interested in receiving a car flag or decal, will be notified through their school administration when these items are available for pick up at The Bedford Boys Tribute Center. Thank you for your support of BCPS students!"
ABC13 spoke with Hartless and asked him if he thinks this will fix anything.

"Do you think this announcement and those free flags will help solve the problem," ABC13 asked.

"No, I don't think it will," Hartless said. "When they put on the website or whatever that the school is going to do something for the flags on peoples' vehicles, they're gonna buy flags for peoples' vehicles that are of their choice; not the students choice and what they want to put on their vehicle. I was representing a big flag that everyone can see; they are gonna buy little flags more than likely."

Hartless' parents, Christina and Allen told ABC13 that they are supporting their son all of the way.

His mother said students should be allowed to express themselves while at school.

"As long as it's not to do with drugs, alcohol, or profanity, students should express themselves the way that they would be expressed at home by their family," Christina Kingery said. "I believe as a parent of three children, of different ages, different lights, different everything; if they believe in something, we're going to stand behind them. That's what parents are supposed to do; stand behind their child in any decision they make."

Hartless said he hopes what he did will make a difference one day in Bedford County Schools. He also said he hopes other students will stand up for what they believe in.
https://wset.com/news/local/i-was-repre ... ugust-2023#

:lol: whatta maroon. Iffin' I can't fly bigly flags on mah pick 'em up truck, then I'm not going to school no moe!
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
pipistrelle

Schools, Teachers etc.

Post by pipistrelle »

That's what parents are supposed to do; stand behind their child in any decision they make.
That’s stupid.
tek

Schools, Teachers etc.

Post by tek »

That's what parents are supposed to do; stand behind their child in any decision they make
That's how we end up with adult whiny titty babies.
sugar magnolia

Schools, Teachers etc.

Post by sugar magnolia »

tek wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:04 pm
That's what parents are supposed to do; stand behind their child in any decision they make
No, parents are supposed to make sure their kids aren't making stupid decisions. Far too many parents let their kids run the show, to the detriment of everyone, parents, kids, teachers, society at large.
Volkonski
Verified:

Schools, Teachers etc.

Post by Volkonski »

This year the news is full of stories about school bus transportation issues. Too few drivers. Students picked up late or not at all. Students dropped off after school hours late and/orin the wrong location.

In all my years as a student and then a parent I don't recall similar issues.

Are better jobs so available that drivers are going to work elsewhere? Is the hassle of getting a CDL more trouble than it is worth?
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
pipistrelle

Schools, Teachers etc.

Post by pipistrelle »

sugar magnolia wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:08 pm
tek wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:04 pm
No, parents are supposed to make sure their kids aren't making stupid decisions.
Well put.

The parents aren’t equipped not to make stupid decisions. At this point is it a cycle?
sad-cafe

Schools, Teachers etc.

Post by sad-cafe »

3 teachers out with Covid
AndyinPA
Verified:

Schools, Teachers etc.

Post by AndyinPA »

sad-cafe wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 6:31 pm 3 teachers out with Covid
Ugh.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
W. Kevin Vicklund

Schools, Teachers etc.

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

Volkonski wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 4:17 pm This year the news is full of stories about school bus transportation issues. Too few drivers. Students picked up late or not at all. Students dropped off after school hours late and/orin the wrong location.

Are better jobs so available that drivers are going to work elsewhere? Is the hassle of getting a CDL more trouble than it is worth?
It's been developing for a while, but Covid and the anti-vax crazies really accelerated it.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Schools, Teachers etc.

Post by RTH10260 »

Suranis

Schools, Teachers etc.

Post by Suranis »

Volkonski wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 4:17 pm This year the news is full of stories about school bus transportation issues. Too few drivers. Students picked up late or not at all. Students dropped off after school hours late and/orin the wrong location.

I was in a forum about 20 years ago with a guy who was a school bus driver. Granted the guy was a bit of an asshole, but he once broke down and spoke about his job. He said he was trapped in a bus with bunch of wild animals with mouths that would put Sailors to shame. And if he so much as raised his voice at these spoiled brats he would be pulled off the bus for a 2 week investigation without pay. And the kids knew it and went to town on him and he was effectively defenseless. And all for shit pay.

Hearing stories like that would YOU want to be a goddam school bus driver? What do you think the retention levels were like with those conditions?
Hic sunt dracones
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Schools, Teachers etc.

Post by bill_g »

School buses, paratrasit services, and full sized big bus transportation were all part of my bread and butter, and their stories about public abuse could fill several books. I have some favorite stories I'll share later.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Schools, Teachers etc.

Post by bill_g »

You don't have to be a smart person to be a bus operator. You just have to be a really nice person. That means when your company purchases a geewhiz comm system that includes inadequate training on how to operate it, when it doesn't work like the appliance it is supposed to be, you have no idea what to do except to turn in a service request to maintenance. That part of the training you remember really well. In fact, you will turn in a request after every run because it never ever works right for you no matter how many times service personnel (like myself) step aboard.

We have one bus we could never get off the maintenance list. That bus number came up so much, it caught the attention of the maintenance manager, the foreman, the project manager, the general manager, the union steward, and just about anyone with a title were asking about it. It became my personal project.

Thankfully they also noticed that only this one operator turned in a card on it. The bus ran on other shifts without a complaint. And if they gave her a different bus with a low service history, she would card that bus too. I was absolutely convinced she was the dumbest operator in the world. And then one day I found out where her skill set peaks at the genius level: empathy and care giving.

She came rolling in off route and off schedule, parked the bus out of the track (painted lines on the lot), swung the doors open, and emerged with a child having convulsions in her arms. I swear to you she glowed like sunshine as she stepped towards the dispatch doors. She was the embodiment of Christ. Other operators opened them wide to let her pass, and then gathered around her like the apostles. They all knew what to do, and like a well trained team, they were there ready, but not in the way. Very few words between them. A concert of motion.

She held the child until he was past the worst part, and then began to clean him while the other operators cleaned her bus. Suddenly, it was over. Back on the bus. No big deal. No huge cheers from the crowd. Just another day. All in a day's work.

I was slack jawed at what I had just witnessed.

I gave her my cellphone number, and asked her to call me anytime when she has a problem. Over time the calls became fewer and fewer until she retired. I will never forget her, or the shame I felt having judged her so harshly without knowing who she really was. I try not to make that mistake very much any more.
neeneko

Schools, Teachers etc.

Post by neeneko »

tek wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:04 pm That's what parents are supposed to do; stand behind their child in any decision they make
sugar magnolia wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:08 pm No, parents are supposed to make sure their kids aren't making stupid decisions. Far too many parents let their kids run the show, to the detriment of everyone, parents, kids, teachers, society at large.
I think what parents are supposed to do is use their additional age and wisdom to weigh each situation and decide which course of action is best.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Schools, Teachers etc.

Post by raison de arizona »

what a story bill_g, truly moving
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Schools, Teachers etc.

Post by Foggy »

It's a good thing she had you, bill_g.
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
Volkonski
Verified:

Schools, Teachers etc.

Post by Volkonski »

‘GO AWAY TEA,’ SAY HOUSTON ISD PARENTS AND TEACHERS

https://www.texasobserver.org/hisd-prot ... -takeover/
Extending a mile, a procession of protestors in red marched in front of the Houston Independent School District (HISD) administrative building last Friday to demand an end to the state takeover of Houston schools. Hoisting signs that read “HISD: Houston Invaded School District,” “Mike Miles—Killing Education One Apple at a Time,” and “Even Prisons Have Libraries,” 600 parents, teachers, and students gathered at the protest organized by the Houston Federation of Teachers to challenge the administration and policies of state-appointed district Superintendent Mike Miles.

After the Texas Education Agency seized control of the district, Miles started the school year promising more pay and support for teachers and a more rigorous, standardized curriculum for students, particularly at the 85 campuses that are part of the New Education System (NES) program, curricular reforms Miles transplanted from his Third Futures charter school network

But teachers and parents describe experiencing chaos since the start of the school year. Teachers have complained that the district’s curriculum does not follow the state standards and is riddled with errors and inappropriate content. Critics also note that special education services have been cut or legally required services have not been implemented under Miles’ rigid standardized curriculum. And when teachers and administrators ask questions, they face retaliation. The district has removed at least nine principals and more teachers from their campuses, reassigning them to other campuses, putting them on administrative leave, or recommending them for termination. Many more teachers and other employees have left the district in frustration. Students at HISD’s Debakey High School for Health Professions were left teaching themselves AP Physics for seven weeks in the absence of a teacher.

“We do not want our children subjected to substandard learning. We are professional educators. We demand to be respected,” Houston Federation of Teachers President Jackie Anderson said at the protest. “Miles has made a lot of promises and those promises have been broken. He has created a broken education system. We want him out of here. Now.”
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
W. Kevin Vicklund

Schools, Teachers etc.

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

shorter Mike Miles: "Mission Accomplished"
RTH10260

Schools, Teachers etc.

Post by RTH10260 »

Oregon just dropped all graduation standards, failing all of its students in the name of ‘equity’

BY AARON WITHE, OPINION CONTRIBUTOR -
11/02/23 8:00 AM ET

In public education’s latest blunder, the Oregon Department of Education has just decided that basic reading, writing and math skills are not required for students to graduate with a high school diploma.

Prior to the passage of Senate Bill 744 in the Oregon Legislative Assembly’s 2021 session, the state’s “Assessment of Essential Skills” requirement for high school graduation was sensible: “read and comprehend a variety of text, write clearly and accurately,” and “apply mathematics in a variety of settings.” Students were required to demonstrate these skills by “earning at or above a cut score on the Oregon Statewide Summative Assessment test.”

Citing the effects of COVID-19 school closures, however, SB 744 required the state to review “requirements for high school diploma options.” To address learning-loss throughout the pandemic, the bill led to the suspension of Oregon’s essential skills proficiency requirement through the 2023-24 school year.

Last month, Oregon’s State Board of Education voted unanimously to adopt an additional extension of this suspension through the 2027-28 school year. Board members, alongside Oregon Department of Education leadership, argued that requiring students to complete standardized tests both presented a “harmful hurdle for historically marginalized students” and represents a misuse of state tests.

The Oregon Education Association (OEA), the union representing more than 40,000 teachers throughout the state, is a like-minded opponent of standardized testing. “Standardized tests are inaccurate, inequitable, and don’t accurately measure student learning and growth,” it declares. Further, the union labels standardized tests like Oregon’s Statewide Summative Assessment as “instruments of racism and a biased system.”

With this in mind, the OEA’s role in the development of SB 744 is unsurprising. The OEA Special Education Committee “helped to develop…and helped OEA pass…Senate Bill 744 during the last legislative session.” Further, the union brags that SB 744 “passed with OEA member support in the 2021 session” due to “several equity concerns” surrounding Oregon’s essential skill requirements.

Since Oregon abandoned its essential skill requirements for high schoolers, graduation rates have skyrocketed. With a graduation rate of 81.3 percent, Oregon’s class of 2022 set a record for the second highest four-year graduation rate ever recorded in the state. Unfortunately, this is not indicative of student skills. Only 43 percent of students in that year’s graduating class were proficient in English, and less than 31 percent were proficient in math.

https://thehill.com/opinion/education/4 ... of-equity/
June bug

Schools, Teachers etc.

Post by June bug »

Aaron Withe is the CEO of the Freedom Foundation, “which works to end the undue influence of government unions”. So I suggest taking anything he writes with a very large grain of salt.
sad-cafe

Schools, Teachers etc.

Post by sad-cafe »

going back tomorrow after being slammed with a desk chair by an
ED student.

I am a bit nervous-not because of the kid but because of the other kids in the room-especially the student this kid was angry at.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Schools, Teachers etc.

Post by AndyinPA »

:bighug:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Schools, Teachers etc.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:bighug:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Schools, Teachers etc.

Post by Foggy »

Be safe, sad café. :bighug:
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
RTH10260

Schools, Teachers etc.

Post by RTH10260 »

Claudine Gay, Harvard University's embattled president, has resigned. How we got here and what's next.

Chanelle Chandler·Reporter
Updated Tue, January 2, 2024 at 11:45 PM GMT+1·5 min read

On Tuesday, Claudine Gay announced her resignation as president of Harvard University amid “tensions and divisions” surrounding allegations of plagiarism and fallout from last month’s heated exchange during her congressional testimony related to the war in Israel and Gaza. Here’s what happened.

Why did she resign?

According to her resignation letter, Gay, the university’s first Black president and second woman to hold the position, said it was “in the best interests of Harvard” to step down to place the focus back on Harvard “rather than any individual” during what she called a “moment of extraordinary challenge.” Harvard is among a number of schools being investigated by the U.S. Department of Education for allegations of Islamophobia and antisemitic discrimination on campus following the Oct. 7 Hamas attack on Israel.

“It has been distressing to have doubt cast on my commitments to confronting hate and to upholding scholarly rigor … and frightening to be subjected to personal attacks and threats fueled by racial animus,” Gay added.

In a Tuesday statement, the Harvard Corporation — the top governing body of fellows at the institution — said they accepted her resignation with “sorrow.”

“Her own message conveying her intention to step down eloquently underscores what those who have worked with her have long known — her commitment to the institution and its mission is deep and selfless,” the statement read. “It is with that overarching consideration in mind that we have accepted her resignation.”

Gay, whose six-month tenure is the shortest amount of time served by a president in Harvard’s history, is also facing mounting accusations of plagiarism stemming from published articles she wrote as a professor and student at the university.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/claudine-gay ... 04828.html

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”