Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Schools, Teachers etc.

Suranis

Re: Schools, Teachers etc.

Post by Suranis »

AndyinPA wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:44 pm Let the church get them first. :mad:
I agree. The Jesuits and (my educators) the Salesians will start filling their heads with Mathematics and Astronomy. 8-)
Hic sunt dracones
Danraft

Post by Danraft »

Well, Texas doesn’t have a chance with its current trajectory.

If it ever finally goes Blue, there is more room for the possibility.
Volkonski wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:24 pm

Texas doesn't have a snowball's chance in heck of doing this.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Volkonski wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:21 pm

Well, they have to put someone in front of the classrooms.
I'd like a breakdown of percentage of uncertified teachers by school/district median income, please.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
raison de arizona

I can't put my paw on it right now, but yesterday I read a tweet about how a woman had an old school friend she barely follows post on Facebook that she had achieved her goal and become a Walmart store manager. The woman (OP) though to herself how sad it was to have a goal of being a Walmart manager, but then Googled what they make and realized her old school friend was making 3x what OP was.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

It's not about gun control, it's about mental health.
Acyn @Acyn wrote: 205 Republicans vote against School-Based Mental Health Services
Volkonski
Verified:

Schools, Teachers etc.

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Schools, Teachers etc.

Post by Volkonski »

raison de arizona

Schools, Teachers etc.

:explode:
Oklahoma Teacher Urging Children to Call Boy ‘F*g’ Remains in Classroom
A boy the teacher drove to tears was suspended and has lost access to special ed services

Warning: This article discusses a homophobic slur many readers will experience as ugly and traumatizing.

Amber and Jonathon Stepp play an audio recording of their son’s 5th grade teacher saying he instructed students to call their son a fag. The Stepps later learned the teacher organized playground “fag tag” games. Image cropped from CBS News 5 video reporting.

What would you do if your 11-year-old son came home from school and asked what “fag” means? What would you do if he said his 5th-grade teacher urged his classmates to call him a fag? What would you do if your son broke down in tears when you defined fag for him?

What would you do if you found out that the teacher, besides urging peers to call your son a fag, has organized games of “fag tag” on the playground?

What would you do if you went to the school principal and district superintendent in distress, only to be told your son must either return to that teacher or transfer to an all-girls class?

This is not a thought experiment, it’s happening today in Talihina, Oklahoma
It’s happening right now to Amber and Jonathon Stepp and their 11-year-old son in the Talihina public school system. Amber and Jonathon say they’re shocked and saddened at the same time. Amber told local CBS affiliate News 5, “I’m supposed to trust this professional to teach my son positive things, not hatred?”

Jonathon added, “I never expected it to happen to anyone, let alone my own child.” He says his son asked him in tears, “Daddy, why would you call me that?”

Amber called the teacher with that question and audio-recorded his answer. He freely admitted he told students to call her son, who has special learning needs, a fag — because her son was “horse playing” with another boy:

Two of the boys were wrestling with each other and started yelling saying, “he’s touching me, he’s touching me” and I said, “yeah when he does that yell fag alert.”

The facts are not in dispute. Click here and then click on the video to listen to his astonishing admission for yourself.

Also not in dispute is that the school district has not acted to protect the boy from his bullying teacher or to protect other students from the teacher’s vulgarity. In a September statement, Talihina Public Schools said, “We have received this complaint and, in response, have completed an investigation and taken appropriate action.”

Students and parents say that whatever the “appropriate” action was, which officials say they cannot discuss for privacy reasons, it did not involve removing the teacher from the classroom or even suspending him during the investigation.

Administrators suspended the boy instead
Additionally, after Channel 5 first broke the news at the end of September, students and parents told reporters that the same teacher has encouraged children to play “fag tag” or “tag the fag” on the playground.

The school district has not commented on those allegations.

The Stepps say the district gave their son two options for returning to school: Go back to the bullying teacher’s classroom or transfer to an all-girls class.

Fifth-grade classes were reportedly segregated by gender due to an unspecified “incident” sometime in the past, in violation of federal Title IX law that prohibits discrimination in education on the basis of sex. Talihina parents say 5th grade is the only grade that separates students by gender. District officials have declined to comment on when they will re-integrate classes to comply with federal law.
:snippity:
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Schools, Teachers etc.

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Obviously, that teacher has no business being in a classroom! That is beyond disgusting - the teacher's actions can scar that boy for life.

Would there be any kind of suit the parents could file to get that teacher removed?
MN-Skeptic

Schools, Teachers etc.

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I am so disgusted by this story :mad:

Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Schools, Teachers etc.

Post by Kriselda Gray »

It m is pretty disgusting. I noted, though, that at least a couple of the "objectionable elements" were things that hadn't been in her original design that she submitted. While I think the stink being raised about the mural is uncalled for, I think the resolution described in the article is a reasonable one. The majority of her work - including images that some parents complained promote gay, trans and bisexual pride - will remain and the elements that were not in the initial submission that was approved will be removed.
Suranis

Schools, Teachers etc.

Post by Suranis »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 8:10 pm It m is pretty disgusting. I noted, though, that at least a couple of the "objectionable elements" were things that hadn't been in her original design that she submitted. While I think the stink being raised about the mural is uncalled for, I think the resolution described in the article is a reasonable one. The majority of her work - including images that some parents complained promote gay, trans and bisexual pride - will remain and the elements that were not in the initial submission that was approved will be removed.
Ya, that seems pretty reasonable to me.
Hic sunt dracones
Volkonski
Verified:

Schools, Teachers etc.

Post by Volkonski »

Volkonski
Verified:

Schools, Teachers etc.

Post by Volkonski »

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Schools, Teachers etc.

Post by RTH10260 »

Volkonski
Verified:

Schools, Teachers etc.

Post by Volkonski »

ABC News :verified:
@abc@news.twtr.plus
Several schools are bringing back mask mandates to reduce the spread of COVID-19 and other respiratory illnesses.

The moves come amid a rise in COVID-19 cases across the country. https://abcn.ws/3CfeDsm
sad-cafe

Schools, Teachers etc.

Post by sad-cafe »

I have not stopped wearing mine 3 years now
jcolvin2
Verified:

Schools, Teachers etc.

Post by jcolvin2 »

sad-cafe wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:38 pm I have not stopped wearing mine 3 years now
Me either. The Great Unmasked frequently ask, "Who was that masked man?"
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Schools, Teachers etc.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

jcolvin2 wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:56 pm
sad-cafe wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:38 pm I have not stopped wearing mine 3 years now
Me either. The Great Unmasked frequently ask, "Who was that masked man?"
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Volkonski
Verified:

Schools, Teachers etc.

Post by Volkonski »

The Associated Press :verified:
@ap@news.twtr.plus
In red states around the country, conservatives say it’s time to revisit tenure for university professors.

The indefinite academic appointments have faced review in at least half a dozen states. Advocates say it is a crucial component of academic freedom. https://apnews.com/article/politics-co
RTH10260

Schools, Teachers etc.

Post by RTH10260 »

'Anti-religious bigotry': Nebraska Dem's amdt. would ban kids from vacation Bible schools, church youth groups

Chris Pandolfo
Tue, January 31, 2023 at 10:05 PM GMT+1

A Democratic lawmaker in Nebraska is being accused of "anti-religious bigotry" by Republicans after she proposed to ban children from attending church youth groups or vacation Bible schools.

State Sen. Megan Hunt says her amendment, which would ban children under 19 years of age from attending a "religious indoctrination camp," is intended to kill the underlying bill, LB 371, a measure put forward by Republicans to ban minors from attending drag performances. The text of the amendment asserts there is a "well-documented history of indoctrination and sexual abuse perpetrated by religious leaders and clergy people upon children."

It is a tongue-in-cheek response to Republicans who have said children should not be exposed to explicit sexual content at drag shows.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/anti-religio ... 47139.html
(original: Fox News)
RTH10260

Schools, Teachers etc.

Post by RTH10260 »

Capitol Letters: Nampa senator looks to repeal Blaine amendment

Tue, January 31, 2023 at 12:00 PM GMT+1
By Ryan Suppe, State Politics Reporter

A proposed change to the Idaho Constitution would repeal the so-called Blaine Amendment, a prohibition on directing state funds to religious institutions.

Sen. Brian Lenney, R-Nampa, introduced the joint resolution yesterday amid a nationwide push to free up taxpayer money for private education. Lenney told the Senate Education Committee that Idaho’s Blaine Amendment is “a relic of religious bigotry” that’s now “null and void.”

Dozens of state constitutions have Blaine amendments, many adopted in the late 19th century to block Catholic schools from using taxpayer funds. But a ruling by the U.S. Supreme Court already effectively struck down states’ Blaine amendments.

In 2020, Supreme Court justices ruled that a Montana scholarship program must be made available to religious schools. That decision paved the way for states to implement so-called “school choice” programs, offering taxpayer subsidies for private education, that would also fund religious institutions. Iowa is the latest state to enact such a program.

Meanwhile, Lenney and his allies are pushing a proposal from Sen. Tammy Nichols, R-Middleton, that would create “education savings accounts,” a state funding mechanism for private education, similar to Iowa’s and to a program launched in Arizona last year. Nichols’ proposal has yet to receive a hearing.

For approval, a constitutional amendment requires support from two-thirds of Idaho senators and House members. It also requires majority support from Idaho voters, who would vote on the change in an upcoming election.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/capitol-lett ... 00439.html
(original: Idaho Statesman)
RTH10260

Schools, Teachers etc.

Post by RTH10260 »

Ohio high school musical abruptly halted, deemed ‘vulgar’

Maia Belay
Wed, February 1, 2023 at 5:10 PM GMT+1

Cardinal Local Schools in Ohio was preparing to put on its spring musical “The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee” when it was canceled by the school board.

There had been complaints raised about language in the show, about the appearance of Jesus and the fact that some of the characters are gay.

The show’s assistant director said it is too late in the season to try to put on a different musical.

MIDDLEFIELD, Ohio (WJW) — After months of planning, an Ohio school district abruptly canceled its high school musical, claiming it was “vulgar.”

In a statement, the Cardinal Local Schools superintendent Jack Cunningham said, “The Cardinal Local School District has decided that its spring musical production will not be ‘The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee.’ Its dialogue and song lyrics contain vulgarity and are therefore not suitable for our pre-teen and teenage students in an educational setting.”

Two of the characters in the musical are gay male parents. The district said anyone suggesting discrimination is “mistaken.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/ohio-high-sc ... 56198.html
(Original: The Hill)
AndyinPA
Verified:

Schools, Teachers etc.

Post by AndyinPA »

I can remember two things that bothered me when they first came out. Political PACS and money going to private schools. I always felt it was putting your toe into the water and things would go downhill from there. Not patting myself on the back; just sad.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”