Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Archaeology

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Re: Archaeology

Post by RTH10260 »

So centuries after the R-exit they find out how lush their living style was while connected to the continent. Will future archaeologists determine how fine the Brits had it prior to Brexit when connected to the continent :?:
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

"Londinium". Never heard that before.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:10 pm "Londinium". Never heard that before.
People from the city of Manchester are known as Mancunians because...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mamucium
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/20 ... southwark/
Archaeologists excavating a construction site in South London have discovered a Roman-era mosaic floor thought to be at least 1,800 years old — a “once-in-a-lifetime” find that one said is the “largest area of decorated mosaic discovered in London in the past 50 years.”

The colorful double-paneled mosaic was uncovered by the Museum of London Archaeology (MOLA) as part of ongoing excavations of an area in Southwark that will be the site of a multiuse development known as the Liberty of Southwark.

Beautiful!
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Volkonski wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 5:14 am
Pompeii is an awesome place to visit. It’s an easy one-day excursion from Rome. We took the train to Naples, then another train to Pompeii, and spent the day there.

If you go in June, bring water. It’s hot af.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
PaulG

Post by PaulG »

AndyinPA wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:32 pm https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/20 ... southwark/
Archaeologists excavating a construction site in South London have discovered a Roman-era mosaic floor thought to be at least 1,800 years old — a “once-in-a-lifetime” find that one said is the “largest area of decorated mosaic discovered in London in the past 50 years.”

The colorful double-paneled mosaic was uncovered by the Museum of London Archaeology (MOLA) as part of ongoing excavations of an area in Southwark that will be the site of a multiuse development known as the Liberty of Southwark.
:snippity:

Beautiful!
“largest area of decorated mosaic discovered in London in the past 50 years.” That's damning with faint praise. "Oh yeah, there have been others but they were outside of London. This one reminds me of a mosaic we dug up in the 1970's." It's like the argument over how far away to put the tunnel under Stonehenge. IANAABIWTT*

*I Am Not An Archeologist But I Watch Time Team.
Tiredretiredlawyer

Before I watch the "Day in Pompeii", I need to know if it ends badly. :eek:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 5:52 pm Before I watch the "Day in Pompeii", I need to know if it ends badly. :eek:
Only if you consider breathing in molten volcanic glass to be "bad"..... :shrug:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 5:52 pm Before I watch the "Day in Pompeii", I need to know if it ends badly. :eek:
Well, yes. :(
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:10 pm "Londinium". Never heard that before.
I learned it from Time Team.
johnpcapitalist
Verified: ✅ Totally legit!

Post by johnpcapitalist »

Spoiler: it does. But everybody still paid to see "Titanic" even though they knew the ship was going to sink.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

johnpcapitalist wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:51 pm
Spoiler: it does. But everybody still paid to see "Titanic" even though they knew the ship was going to sink.
The Titanic sank? :eek:

;)
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Volkonski wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 4:29 am
johnpcapitalist wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:51 pm
The Titanic sank? :eek:

;)
On the upside, the movie didn't sink.
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

It should have. :mrgreen:
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

I have always preferred the 1958 version " A Night to "Remember" rather than the 1953 and 1997 films titled "Titanic".
Tiredretiredlawyer

The Kid was 7 years old when "Titanic" was released. He and his buddy fast forwarded the film to the tragic end. All that mushy stuff at the beginning didn't interest them, but the ending was fascinating.
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Endurance: Shackleton's lost ship is found in Antarctic

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-60662541

Even though it has been sitting in 3km (10,000ft) of water for over a century, it looks just like it did on the November day it went down.

Its timbers, although disrupted, are still very much together, and the name - Endurance - is clearly visible on the stern.
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

Volkonski wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:50 am I have always preferred the 1958 version " A Night to "Remember" rather than the 1953 and 1997 films titled "Titanic".
:like:
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

John Thomas8 wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:03 am Endurance: Shackleton's lost ship is found in Antarctic

Even though it has been sitting in 3km (10,000ft) of water for over a century, it looks just like it did on the November day it went down.

Its timbers, although disrupted, are still very much together, and the name - Endurance - is clearly visible on the stern.
Thanks for posting the link to the article with the video. I had seen a posting about this, but that one did not have any link to a site that had the video. that is just brilliant.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

RVInit wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:37 pm
John Thomas8 wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:03 am Endurance: Shackleton's lost ship is found in Antarctic

Thanks for posting the link to the article with the video. I had seen a posting about this, but that one did not have any link to a site that had the video. that is just brilliant.
It's a beautiful find.
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

Not archaeology…

“Timbuktu manuscripts: Mali's ancient documents captured online”:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-60689699

“A virtual gallery to showcase Mali's cultural history has been launched, featuring tens of thousands of Timbuktu's ancient manuscripts.
The manuscripts were smuggled to safety from Timbuktu after Islamist militant groups took control of the city in northern Mali in 2012.
They contain centuries of African knowledge and scholarship on topics ranging from maths to astrological charts.
The collection, called Mali Magic, also captures Malian culture beyond the manuscripts. It was put together by Google, along with local and international partners.”
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
Cyrus Breckenridge

Post by Cyrus Breckenridge »

Maybenaut wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:08 am
Pompeii is an awesome place to visit. It’s an easy one-day excursion from Rome. We took the train to Naples, then another train to Pompeii, and spent the day there.

If you go in June, bring water. It’s hot af.
Fascinating. I also visited four years ago. It was moving to be walking the same stones as those doomed citizens.

And Volkonski: CONGRATS ON 5000 POSTS! Always enjoy them.
Cyrus Breckenridge

Post by Cyrus Breckenridge »

Sorry, it’s much, much, much more than 5000 because of Oldbow of course.

Return to “Science”