Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Horses! and pets/animals other than cats and dogs

Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Re: Horses! and pets other than cats and dogs

Post by Kriselda Gray »

tek wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:51 pm new grandhorse!

IMG_2193sm.jpg
Beautiful!
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Re: Horses! and pets/animals other than cats and dogs

Post by RTH10260 »

Maybe your pet just had bad hair day...

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Re: Horses! and pets other than cats and dogs

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

tek wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:51 pm new grandhorse!
Happy! Happy! Grandpappy! Name of new grandbaby? :bighug:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Medina Spirit Stripped of 2021 Kentucky Derby Win
The horse’s trainer, Bob Baffert, was suspended and fined after his horse failed a post-race drug test last year.

By Joe Drape
Feb. 21, 2022

Medina Spirit is no longer the winner of the 2021 Kentucky Derby. The colt, who died unexpectedly in December, was officially disqualified by Kentucky racing officials on Monday for failing a drug test after winning the race.

Medina Spirit is only the third horse in the race’s 147-year history to receive such a penalty after finishing first. The decision means the colt’s owner, Amr Zedan, will not collect the $1.8 million first-place check, which was never paid out and will now go to Mandaloun’s owner, Juddmonte, the racing and breeding enterprise founded by Prince Khalid bin Abdullah of Saudi Arabia, who died last year.

Churchill Downs, the track in Louisville, Ky., that hosts the Derby, said in a statement that it now recognizes Mandaloun as the winner of the 2021 race, adding, “We look forward to celebrating Mandaloun on a future date in a way that is fitting of this rare distinction.”

The ruling also erased the Hall of Fame trainer Bob Baffert’s seventh Kentucky Derby victory, which had been a record.

In addition, Baffert was suspended for 90 days beginning March 8 and fined $7,500. The ruling followed a hearing via videoconference on Feb. 14 before a three-member panel of stewards for the Kentucky Horse Racing Association.

The drug found in Medina Spirit’s system was betamethasone, a corticosteroid injected into joints to reduce pain and swelling. Baffert and his lawyers denied injecting the colt and said the drug was applied topically to treat a skin rash on Medina Spirit’s hind end.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/21/spor ... derby.html
new thread required: horses behaving badly :?: ;)
pjhimself

Post by pjhimself »

YouTube sends me stuff like this. Enjoy:

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Bull survives being swept 80km down a river, over a waterfall and almost out to sea
Farmer says his Hereford turned up one week after going missing when torrential rain hit his farm on New Zealand’s west coast

Eva Corlett in Wellington
Wed 23 Feb 2022 04.24 GMT

A young bull that was swept into a surging river during flooding on New Zealand’s West Coast has miraculously survived the ordeal, turning up unharmed a week later, 80 kilometres (49 miles) downstream, snuffling about in a blackberry bush.

Deer and cattle farmer, Tony Peacock, said the 18-month-old bull was grazing with 37 others in a paddock in the Shenandoah area above the Maruia River, on 10 February, when torrential rain began falling.

“It’s the highest I’ve ever seen on my farm. They forecast 60mm and I tipped out over 160mm from the rain gauge the next morning,” Peacock said.

He had not had time to prepare for that amount of rain, and while he was able to save some from the rising waters, the young Hereford and two others were swept away.

A week later, Peacock received a surprising phone call from stock-tracking and agricultural company Ospri. “They said a farmer in Westport had one of my bulls and gave me his [ear tag] number.

“I rang him and he said he was getting his cows in in the morning when he heard a bit of rustling in the blackberry and a Hereford bull poked his head out.”

The farmer told Peacock the bull looked like he needed a bit of “rest and relaxation”.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/ ... out-to-sea
Tiredretiredlawyer

That story is full of bull! :mrgreen:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

When pigs bulls fly... :biggrin:
pjhimself

Post by pjhimself »

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I wonder where Momma is.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

From how familiar the dogs and the human hand seem with the little fuzzy guy, it may be a rescue situation.

He’s a cuppy.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Tiredretiredlawyer

Wild-horses_Matjaimic_Slovenia_NationalAwards_NaturalWorldWildlife_2022-78405d8d076e4fe284b4449975191b96_kindlephoto-7227766.jpg
Wild-horses_Matjaimic_Slovenia_NationalAwards_NaturalWorldWildlife_2022-78405d8d076e4fe284b4449975191b96_kindlephoto-7227766.jpg (52.55 KiB) Viewed 977 times
https://www.treehugger.com/national-pho ... 22-5221114
Wild Horses, Polar Bears, and Volcanoes Win National Photo Awards
Winners were chosen from 61 countries.
qbawl

Post by qbawl »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:34 am Wild-horses_Matjaimic_Slovenia_NationalAwards_NaturalWorldWildlife_2022-78405d8d076e4fe284b4449975191b96_kindlephoto-7227766.jpg

https://www.treehugger.com/national-pho ... 22-5221114
Wild Horses, Polar Bears, and Volcanoes Win National Photo Awards
Winners were chosen from 61 countries.
Back in the '80s we used to see the wild horses walking in the surf or on the beach in Whalhead Beach NC near the Currituck light Beautiful.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I don't have a lot of experience with horses, but I have a favorite: the Icelandic horse. They have two special gaits that aren't found in any other horse. We were supposed to go to Iceland last summer, and I had planned to ride one since they are an easy horse to ride for beginners.

"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

AndyinPA wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:12 pm I don't have a lot of experience with horses, but I have a favorite: the Icelandic horse. They have two special gaits that aren't found in any other horse. We were supposed to go to Iceland last summer, and I had planned to ride one since they are an easy horse to ride for beginners.
One of my favourite professional hauling teams (they retired last year after 40 years of hauling horses) used to do a lot of hauling of Icelandic horses. The horses would come into JFK, go through quarantine, and then get hauled to a breeder in southwest Washington state.

Once a horse is exported from Iceland, it is NEVER allowed to return (they don't want any diseases being imported into Iceland, thank you). In fact, Iceland does not allow importation of any horse!

There are no natural predators of horses in Iceland, and thus they do not spook as other horses do (good for beginners). They are one of the breeds which is always referred to as a 'horse', rather than a 'pony', even though many of them are pony-sized (under 14.2 hands). If you do get to Iceland and do some pony trekking, expect that your mount may be much smaller than you realize (this is also good for beginners, as it is not much fun falling off a 17 hand horse)!
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Yes, they are very, very careful about keeping the horses' lines pure. I've seen them there, and think they are beautiful horses. I've also seen the Shetland ponies in the Shetland Islands. It seemed to me they were even smaller than the Icelandic horses, but also very pretty. In general, though, I do think horses are beautiful animals.

I'm a city girl, so I find big horses intimidating (cows, too) so that probably colors my opinions.
Reddog

Post by Reddog »

AndyinPA wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:12 pm I don't have a lot of experience with horses, but I have a favorite: the Icelandic horse. They have two special gaits that aren't found in any other horse. We were supposed to go to Iceland last summer, and I had planned to ride one since they are an easy horse to ride for beginners.

https://www.fridheimar.is/en
I’m not a horse person, but we went to their tomato greenhouse/restaurant. They have an arena, and was having an equestrian show while we were there. I would have paid more attention to the horses had I known about the unique breed they have there.

The entire menu has something to do with tomatoes. That was a great restaurant. I heard they have good Bloody Marys. But I was driving, and heard that Iceland doesn’t look fondly on drinking and driving.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

The Scandinavian countries all look very unkindly on drinking and driving.

I haven't been to the tomato greenhouse restaurant, but I've heard nothing but wonderful things about it. One of these days...

The last time we were in Iceland, I brought little figurines of Icelandic horses home for the grandkids. Neither of them believed they could be real. :lol:
Tiredretiredlawyer

I rode one of the Icelandic horses in Iceland. They are famous for the "tolt" gait. It is not only beautiful to look at, it rides smoothly as if you aren't on a horse at all!
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:38 pm I rode one of the Icelandic horses in Iceland. They are famous for the "tolt" gait. It is not only beautiful to look at, it rides smoothly as if you aren't on a horse at all!
:thumbsup:

I was really looking forward to it. We do hope that we can get back to Iceland soon.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

I learn so much from reading Fogbow. Lookie what I found!

There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

RVInit wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:54 am I learn so much from reading Fogbow. Lookie what I found!
Thank you, that is brilliant!
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:yeahthat:

Return to “General Stuff”