Horses! and pets/animals other than cats and dogs

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Re: Horses! and pets/animals other than cats and dogs

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:rotflmao:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Hello, my name is Rainn. :point:
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
She wanted to dance ... 🎶
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Salmons are back, feeding the bears, now WWJD

northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

RTH10260 wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:29 pm Salmons are back, feeding the bears, now WWJD
He would walk up to the bears, say, "Come follow me, and I will make you fishers of men" and they would leave their salmon and follow him.

Humans.. Yum.
101010 :towel:
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

nice compilation

northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

I have lost lots of time to the bears/salmon cam. I was amazed at how well the folks on the chat knew which bear was which and had even numbered them.

The salmon are really jumping right now. None of the bears are sitting at the top of the falls so they can jump up without being caught.
101010 :towel:
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

Getting back to horses:

The Western States Trail Ride 100 Miles One Day ride is taking place today. Better known as the Tevis Cup, 130 horse/rider combinations started off this morning at 5.15 am, in Truckee, California. This annual event has been held every year (except one, for COVID) since 1955.

They must finish tomorrow morning by 5.15 am, at McCann Stadium in Auburn, California.

Historically, around 50% of the riders and their horses will actually finish the ride in 24 hours, which is why the motto of the Tevis Cup is:

"TO FINISH IS TO WIN"
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Azastan, your reporting of your virtual Tevis cup is one of the highlights of this board during those awful days, weeks, and months of the Covid pandemic.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

RVInit wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 4:25 pm Azastan, your reporting of your virtual Tevis cup is one of the highlights of this board during those awful days, weeks, and months of the Covid pandemic.
Thank you!

I didn't report on this year's Virtual Tevis, but Fajr and I participated this year. I also achieved 33 miles on a foster horse, Cleo. My neighbours were heading down to Oregon to pick up one of their horses which had been in training, and they were willing to detour 30 miles out of their way to drop her off at the rescue, so we did not finish.

My young rider, the person who got Comet started under saddle, also finished the Virtual Tevis with Comet. The two of them are currently in Montana, where Comet is learning how to be a mounted archery horse.

In exchange for Cleo, I got sent *another* foster horse, who I have not introduced yet. She is likely to stay permanently with me. She is Jai Fey Spirit, a beautiful bay Arabian.
poplove
Verified: ✅💚💙💜☮️💐🌈⚽️✅

Post by poplove »

Emmanuel!! :rotflmao:

Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

My favorite comment:

HI My name is Emanueldontdoit!

I went to the Knuckle Bump Farms TikTok - definitely worth the trip. :lol:
pjhimself

Post by pjhimself »

AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:biggrin:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

:lovestruck: Francisco, Martin, and one of the best hoomans ever.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Lani

Post by Lani »

Happy tears :lovestruck:
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Freya the walrus sinks boats and captures hearts in Norway
The enchanting but unwittingly destructive 600kg marine mammal, named after a Norse goddess, has taken up residence in Oslo fjord

Agence France-Presse
Tue 26 Jul 2022 00.59 BST

For a week, a young female walrus nicknamed Freya has enchanted Norwegians by basking in the sun of the Oslo fjord, making a splash in the media and bending a few boats.

The 600kg (1,300lb) marine mammal has been named after the Norse goddess of love and beauty.

She has already been sighted in the UK, the Netherlands, Denmark and Sweden and has now chosen to spend part of the summer in Norway.

Freya first gained notoriety in Norway by climbing on to pleasure boats in Kragero, an idyllic southern coastal village, and has been doing the same in the waters of the capital since 17 July.

The presence of the mammal, which normally lives in the more northerly latitudes of the Arctic, has sparked curiosity among locals and made headlines in the press.

Newspaper Verdens Gang has put up a livestream of the walrus’s every move on its website.

Freya has been filmed chasing a duck and attacking a swan before, more often than not, dozing on boats struggling to support her bulk. A walrus can sleep up to 20 hours a day.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/ ... -in-norway
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-wiltshire-62312529
Man fleeing Wiltshire crash scene attacked by emus

driver who fled the scene of a crash was attacked by a group of emus after climbing into their field.

A truck hit a shop in the centre of Malmesbury in Wiltshire at lunchtime on Monday.

Chef Dean Wade gave chase when two people left the truck and escaped on foot.

Mr Wade says he then saw the driver being attacked by a group of emus after he climbed into their field.

Wiltshire Police said the driver of the pick-up truck had been arrested on suspicion of failing to stop, dangerous driving and causing actual bodily harm.

The chase came to an end, Mr Wade said, at the border of the Malmesbury Animal Sanctuary, where a range of exotic animals are cared for.

"One of them went into the field, and tried to be a bit aggressive towards the emus," he said.

"The emus were curious and they started pecking away at him, which he didn't take to. Then he ran off.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
raison de arizona

Eyewitness News @ABC7NY wrote: 🐊🚶‍♀️ You don't see this everyday: a girl walking an alligator on a leash in Philadelphia. As it turns out, WallyGator is an emotional support alligator from a local reptile rescue. https://7ny.tv/3CAaXlV
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

Not really a pet, but...
Hanna Liubakova @HannaLiubakova wrote: #Ukraine In Kharkiv, a chimpanzee escaped from a zoo. It was walking around the city while zoo employees tried to convince it to return. Suddenly it started to rain, and the ape ran to a zoo employee for a jacket and then agreed to return to the zoo.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

--Colin Kaepernick
raison de arizona

Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

A striking black mare, Burmese was bred to be part of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) and was born in 1962 in Saskatchewan. The mare quickly became a favorite among RCMP recruits, who rode her for equitation practice, and by age five Burmese was the lead horse for the RCMP’s famous Musical Ride. The Musical Ride was preparing to perform at the 1969 Royal Windsor Horse Show in England when they learned that Queen Elizabeth was looking for a new riding horse. The RCMP offered their star mare to the Queen, who graciously accepted. Burmese was then carefully trained by Corporal Fred Rasmussen and presented to the Queen formally in April of 1969.

Queen Elizabeth not only rode Burmese for recreation — the Queen was reported to ride daily when she was at her country houses, no matter the weather — but also for ceremonial displays as well. In full parade regalia, the Queen aside her beautiful tall black horse were an inspiring sight.

Both the Queen’s horsemanship and Burmese’s courage were tested in a famous incident at one such ceremonial ride: on June 13, 1981 at the Trooping of the Color, the Queen and Burmese were leading the parade through the streets of London when a teenager in the crowd fired six blanks at the monarch. Burmese started visibly (as would most horses!) but Queen Elizabeth quickly got the mare back under control and carried on, patting her shoulder to reassure the horse.

Video from the incident shows Queen Elizabeth quickly steadying her horse — while the Queen looks shaken by the events, it’s also amazing to see her rock-steady equitation in a sidesaddle.

The Queen continued to ride Burmese for ceremonial occasions despite this frightening moment. A famous photograph depicts the Queen and US President Reagan out on a hack during the president’s state visit in 1982. Reagan was mounted on another horse that was part of the RCMP’s equine gift.

Burmese was retired from riding in 1987, after serving the Queen as a riding mount as well as a ceremonial mount for 18 straight appearances at the Trooping of the Color. Strict orders were given that Burmese was not to be ridden by anyone; she was turned out to pasture at Windsor Castle in a location where Queen Elizabeth could see her on her visits. At the age of 28 in 1990, Burmese passed away and was buried on the grounds of Windsor — an unusual honor.

To commemorate her beloved partner, the Queen commissioned a bronze statue of herself aside Burmese; the statue was revealed in 2005 in front of the Saskatchewan Legislative Building in Regina, Canada, the province where Burmese was born. Through the statue, the RCMP’s royal gift was honored and the image of the Queen’s beloved black mare was able to live on.

Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, riding Burmese as she reviews troops.
Queen Elizabeth II on Burmese.jpg
Queen Elizabeth II on Burmese.jpg (45.04 KiB) Viewed 582 times
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Wow, that's a great story.
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
She wanted to dance ... 🎶