Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Horses! and pets/animals other than cats and dogs

pjhimself

Re: Horses! and pets/animals other than cats and dogs

Post by pjhimself »

Gene Kooper

Post by Gene Kooper »

All I can say is WOW!!

Colorado photographer's wild stallion photo takes home top nature prize

ewscripps.brightspotcdn.com.jpg
ewscripps.brightspotcdn.com.jpg (297.53 KiB) Viewed 1448 times
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

:biggrin:

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

From Mr.Gneiss:

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/d ... ture-prize

The photographer was a landscape photographer when diagnosed with stage IV colon cancer. During 40 weeks (Yikes!) of chemotherapy he started shooting wildlife from his car which protected him from the sun. This photo was one of those taken.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:25 am From Mr.Gneiss:

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/d ... ture-prize

The photographer was a landscape photographer when diagnosed with stage IV colon cancer. During 40 weeks (Yikes!) of chemotherapy he started shooting wildlife from his car which protected him from the sun. This photo was one of those taken.
Excellent background story, thank you and Mr.Gneiss!
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Image Image Image Image
Tiredretiredlawyer

:rotflmao:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Tiredretiredlawyer

Wow!
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Really wow!
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Local eagle flaunts catch-and-release rules.
B0BED4A6-1270-4C30-9C4C-D052EE3807F4.png
B0BED4A6-1270-4C30-9C4C-D052EE3807F4.png (503.78 KiB) Viewed 1139 times
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Tiredretiredlawyer

Great photo!!!!!
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Cool shot!

Did you see Stonekettle’s photo of an osprey with a fish? It was face-forward, the fish, and several other birds had tried to take it from the osprey so it was missing most of its face.
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

Cleo, a foster horse for my favourite Arabian horse rescue.
Cleo heading down the road April 10 2022.jpg
Cleo heading down the road April 10 2022.jpg (125.26 KiB) Viewed 1093 times
Cleo is helping me with this year's Virtual Tevis, which started on April 6. It's 100 days to do 100 miles, and it's timed to end on the same day as the real world Tevis Cup.

Cleo came from the Enumclaw Sales Pavilion, where she was in danger of being picked up by a kill buyer. She was described as a 17 year old Arabian cross, broke to ride. She's actually younger than described, but definitely broke to ride. She'll be going down to Oregon once her quarantine here is over, so I won't finish my Virtual Tevis with her, but I will have gotten her on the road, and worked on her ground manners (which is the whole and entire point).

Once Cleo leaves, I will take Fajr out again and I will start all over for my 100 miles, and finish!
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

First day she was home...
Cleo April 3 2022.jpg
Cleo April 3 2022.jpg (198.87 KiB) Viewed 1093 times
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

She's beautiful! I love horses, though I haven't been able to go riding in many years. I'm so glad that they have a champion like you to try and help make their lives better. Thank you for that!
Tiredretiredlawyer

Cleo!❤️💖💕
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Very pretty horse!
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

I like thinking of Azastan as a champion of horses in need.

Thanks, Kris! (For some reason my autocorrect thinks your name is Leia :P )
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Better with sound.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Lake County no longer wants to be a home where the buffalo roam.

Last fall, a local bison famer/rancher had one of their animals escape and it has been wandering around western Lake County, Illinois, ever since. Since April, she has been hanging out in a forest preserve in the western part of the county, not too far from where she once lived. The forest preserve folks would like her gone.

'Our major concern is safety': Officials want Tyson the bison gone by Memorial Day
https://www.dailyherald.com/news/202205 ... morial-day
One way or another, the long journey of a bison that has been roaming western Lake County since fall may be nearing an end.

Nicknamed "Tyson" and "Billie" at various points in her travels, the 1,300-pound creature who, since April, has been living at the Lakewood Forest Preserve near Wauconda, no longer is welcome.

Some contend the animal poses a safety risk to equestrians and others.

Authorities with the Lake County Forest Preserve District agree and want the bison gone sooner rather than later.

"Our major concern is safety. We don't want anybody accidentally injured -- it's a big creature," said John Tannahill, director of public safety.

"We want to get the animal off the property humanely before the Memorial Day weekend," he added.

So does would-be keeper Scott Comstock, co-owner of Wauconda's Milk and Honey Farmstead. The bison escaped as it was being delivered to the farm last year and has been sighted hundreds of times in nearby communities before settling in at Lakewood.

The article continued at the link above.

101010 :towel:
Tiredretiredlawyer

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-ne ... 180980135/
Wandering Salamanders Skydive From Some of the World’s Tallest Trees
The amphibians stretch their limbs and tails to glide in a smooth style

When disturbed, wandering salamanders (Aneides vagrans) living in the canopies of redwood trees will take a leap of faith to branches further below. The acrobatic stunt is not a frantic and uncontrolled plunge. Instead, it is a controlled descent. The animals stretch out their tails and feet in a position resembling a skydiver, reports Jake Buehler for Science News. Details on the gliding behavior were published this week in Current Biology.

The tan and mottled salamanders are native to northwestern California and inhabit mats and ferns suspended 280 feet up in the canopies of redwoods. These amphibians spend most of their lives in the trees, and the skydiving may allow them to leap away from predators or find areas in the redwood trees with more food and mates. But how the salamanders could jump from such heights was not fully understood. The amphibians do not have membranes or skin flaps as seen in other gliding lizards, frogs or mammals, reports Kate Baggaley for Popular Science.

To test how salamanders manage to drop to branches further below, Brown and his team captured wandering salamanders, arboreal salamanders (Aneides lugubris), ground salamanders, speckled black salamanders (Aneides flavipunctatus) and ensatina salamanders (Ensatina eschscholtzii), Science News reports. The team then dropped the amphibians into a vertical wind tunnel to simulate falling from a tree and filmed each animal’s movements.

In the trials, the wandering salamanders had the most control and used their outstretched limbs and tail to stabilize themselves in the air and adjust their speed as they continued to fall. “We expected that maybe [the salamanders] could keep themselves upright. However, we never expected to observe parachuting or gliding,” Brown says to Science News. “They were able to slow themselves down and change directions.” Researchers found that 10 percent of their speed is shaved off when the wandering salamanders make the parachuting posture while falling. The salamanders would also pump their tail and move their limbs to change directions, Popular Science reports.
Since the name "Rocky" is taken, I suggest Sally the Flying Salamander. :biggrin:
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

northland10 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 8:43 pm Lake County no longer wants to be a home where the buffalo roam.

Last fall, a local bison famer/rancher had one of their animals escape and it has been wandering around western Lake County, Illinois, ever since. Since April, she has been hanging out in a forest preserve in the western part of the county, not too far from where she once lived. The forest preserve folks would like her gone.

'Our major concern is safety': Officials want Tyson the bison gone by Memorial Day
https://www.dailyherald.com/news/202205 ... morial-day
Update: I no longer have a home where the buffalo roam.

https://news.wttw.com/2022/05/25/after- ... t-preserve
After Months on the Lam, Runaway Bison Finally Captured in Lake County Forest Preserve

After managing to elude capture for nearly nine months — no small feat for an easily identifiable 1,300-pound creature — the runaway bison nicknamed “Tyson” and/or “Billy” was finally apprehended Wednesday, officials with the Lake County Forest Preserve announced.

The bison went on the lam in fall 2021 after escaping from Wauconda’s Milk and Honey Farmstead. Sightings have been keeping residents of western Lake County and eastern McHenry County entertained ever since.

Scott Comstock, owner of Milk and Honey Farmstead, has been attempting to lure the bison home to no avail, according to reports in the Daily Herald. When she settled in Lakewood Forest Preserve in April, forest preserve officials became increasingly concerned about having the bison roaming areas that could become heavily trafficked during the approaching Memorial Day weekend.

The preserves brought in Matt Noble, owner of Loose Cattle Caught, to help nab the crafty bison. According to forest preserve officials, the bison was located Wednesday morning and Noble lightly tranquilized her.

“The tranquilizer did not put her in danger or make her fall to the ground. Its purpose was to slow her down. The bison slowly made its way to the barn for food and Noble was able to close the door,” the forest preserve said in a statement.
Here she was in her patriot days when she roamed Western Lake County as a freedom convoy of 1.

101010 :towel:
Tiredretiredlawyer

N10- You should receive the Tyson the Bison Award for Journalistic Excellence! :biggrin:

Return to “General Stuff”