Horses! and pets/animals other than cats and dogs

RVInit

Re: Horses! and pets other than cats and dogs

Post by RVInit »

Foggy wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:34 am I think you and Fajr (and Azastan, and Nejed) did a fantastic job. Sometimes I don't post because I'm too bizzy being jealous. :mrgreen:
:yeahthat: LOL

I just now read the post about Fajr! Congratulations! But I'm disappointed that no funny photos were posted like for Comet and Az. ;) I got a real kick out of those posts, I laughed out loud.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

RVInit wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:18 pm

I just now read the post about Fajr! Congratulations! But I'm disappointed that no funny photos were posted like for Comet and Az. ;) I got a real kick out of those posts, I laughed out loud.
Fajr has serious trust issues, so we didn't actually have a lot of funny interactions. I did get a nice one of him with my neighbour's inflatable menorah, though.
Fajr and the menorah Dec 1 2021.jpg
Fajr and the menorah Dec 1 2021.jpg (178.91 KiB) Viewed 1311 times
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

Ah, there's this one. Fajr being bribed with a horse cookie as we practice water crossings.
Fajr water crossing and horse cookie Nov 3 2021.jpg
Fajr water crossing and horse cookie Nov 3 2021.jpg (184.14 KiB) Viewed 1309 times
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

I needed your brining on a raining day in Glacier National Park when I had a horse who would not step in puddles. Maybe if he was bribed it would have helped.

I found his dislike for puddles ironic given the number of times he created his own puddles (he was like a constant stream).
101010 :towel:
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

northland10 wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:33 pm I needed your brining on a raining day in Glacier National Park when I had a horse who would not step in puddles. Maybe if he was bribed it would have helped.

I found his dislike for puddles ironic given the number of times he created his own puddles (he was like a constant stream).
Horses see puddles differently--they can't see the bottom most of the time, and so they don't know if it's safe to step into one. They will often be more comfortable stepping into a river than a puddle. Fajr's trust issues meant he needed to see me as a leader to be trusted. It has taken almost two years for me to get him to this level of trust, so although it may not seem very exciting to most people, the horse people who watched my journey with Fajr on the Tevis Cup Virtual Ride FB page knew how difficult this was.

In case anyone is interested, here is a link to one of the videos showing Fajr trusting me to keep him safe:

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

That is interesting about the way horses see water. It makes sense after you hear it, but I wouldn't have thought of that. Fajr is an impressive looking horse, what a beauty! There is something about his face, it's like you can see him really thinking about something in that video. What a handsome guy he is.

I love that you devoted the time to get him to trust you, that really says something about your love of these wonderful animals and that you find them worthy of the time and effort. :lovestruck: :lovestruck: :lovestruck: The best kind of people grace these pages.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

RVInit wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:50 pm That is interesting about the way horses see water. It makes sense after you hear it, but I wouldn't have thought of that. Fajr is an impressive looking horse, what a beauty! There is something about his face, it's like you can see him really thinking about something in that video. What a handsome guy he is.

I love that you devoted the time to get him to trust you, that really says something about your love of these wonderful animals and that you find them worthy of the time and effort. :lovestruck: :lovestruck: :lovestruck: The best kind of people grace these pages.
You can see the school bus approach. It's noisy and scary. Fajr thinks about ducking out, but sees that I am holding steady. Notice that the lead rope is slack for the entire video! He turns and faces the bus (which is letting off the neighbour's middle school daughter). He watches it intently. It lets off the air brakes and he remains calm. You can't hear it, but he then turns because the daughter is scraping open their front gate, which frightens him. Again he thinks about ducking out, but amazingly, he turns and looks at me and relaxes. This was a huge leap forward for him and I am glad I got it on video.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Yes, I see that rope is slack. That is very cool. You have done amazing work with him.
--Colin Kaepernick
FiveAcres

Post by FiveAcres »

I am with Fajr on the inflatable. I am not a fan of inflatables, and roll my eyes at the insistance of my neighbors in putting them in front yards despite the frequent occurrence of wind events in Colorado.
Avatar was a photo I took by Killary Fjord in 2005. Killary Fjord is in Northern Connemara, Ireland.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

That was fun, Eurobot. Thanks!
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Camelot! :rotflmao:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Azastan wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:06 pm You can see the school bus approach. It's noisy and scary. Fajr thinks about ducking out, but sees that I am holding steady. Notice that the lead rope is slack for the entire video! He turns and faces the bus (which is letting off the neighbour's middle school daughter). He watches it intently. It lets off the air brakes and he remains calm. You can't hear it, but he then turns because the daughter is scraping open their front gate, which frightens him. Again he thinks about ducking out, but amazingly, he turns and looks at me and relaxes. This was a huge leap forward for him and I am glad I got it on video.
That's really cool, Azastan! I'm glad you've been able to get him to trust you. I used to ride horses at a nearby stable and remember how hard it could be to get a horse to be willing to work with you - and these were horses who were being handled by different people all the time, so they obviously don't have serious trust issues like Fajr does. Great work!
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

The panda youngster i have been following since birth, now 19 months old

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Winter in panda land...

AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:thumbsup:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

panda in the snow having fun

AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

That was fun!
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:biggrin:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Lani

Post by Lani »

The passing of a hero. I posted about him on Fogbow v.1.

Landmine-sniffing hero rat dies aged eight
https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/world/a ... 2020220112
Cambodia’s mine-sweeping rat who was awarded a gold medal for his heroism has died aged eight.

Magawa, an African giant pouched rat, sniffed out 71 landmines and 38 unexploded artillery in a five-year career as a “hero rat”.

Magawa was trained as part of a Belgian charity Anti-Personnel Landmines Detection Product Development (APOPO), which teaches animals, including dogs and rats, to alert human handlers of mines in the area, so that they can be removed safely.
:snippity:
“Magawa was in good health and spent most of last week playing with his usual enthusiasm, but towards the weekend he started to slow down, napping more and showing less interest in food in his last days,” APOPO said in a statement.

Magawa was born and trained in Tanzania before moving to Cambodia for his bomb-sniffing career, where he was awarded a gold medal – described by the BBC as the “George Cross for animals” – by British veterinary charity PDSA in 2020.
Magawa could search a tennis court sized field in 20 minutes. A person with a metal detector can do it in 1 to 4 four days.

He retired in June 2021.

1641943203-Magawa-landmine-rat.jpg
1641943203-Magawa-landmine-rat.jpg (39.37 KiB) Viewed 955 times
Magawa.jpg
Magawa.jpg (88.4 KiB) Viewed 955 times
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

He is a cutie pie. RIP Magawa, and thanks for your service to mankind. I love animals so much.

I had to take this afternoon off from work because if I don't , I am going to use foul language at a coworker and get fired. Days like today name me like animals far more than I like humans. But in truth, there are a whole bunch of wonderful people in this world that I like just as much as I like animals. I'm trying to remind myself of that today. I don't think I have ever questioned my love of animals, though.
--Colin Kaepernick
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

a sad day indeed..
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Tweet from @ReutersAgency: Like a fish out of water? Israeli team trains goldfish to drive http://ow.ly/RImb50HtuSV https://t.co/NydTajkMCE
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
She wanted to dance ... 🎶
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

pestilence on four paws :lol:

pjhimself

Post by pjhimself »