Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Horses! and pets/animals other than cats and dogs

Azastan
Verified:

Re: Horses! and pets other than cats and dogs

Post by Azastan »

jcolvin2 wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:47 pm Pigs! When my wife was a child, pigs escaped their enclosures and crippled a birthday present pony that my wife’s grandparents had given her. Horses are rightly cautious of those animals.
That's awful :eek: . Poor thing...most horses don't like pigs. They smell funny, they make weird noises, and yes, they can be dangerous. The neighbour has some big boars right next to the road, too (as in, 300 pounds of non-emasculated male pig).
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Image Image Image Image
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... g-together
We are at EquiCenter, a therapeutic equestrian facility where, under the supervision of a horse trainer, Wytrwa is one of 16 veterans who have sought reprieve from post-traumatic stress among one of the most unpredictable animals: wild mustangs. EquiCenter runs a program that matches veterans with mustangs to train. Training the horses serves as a kind of therapy, helping veterans rebuild their own confidence, focus and sense of purpose.

Wytrwa described a life transformed by this work. When he returned from Afghanistan, symptoms of post-traumatic stress hounded his daily life: flashbacks made it impossible to work and his depression was incapacitating. He had spent much of his fifteen-month-deployment driving along dirt roads in Paktia province in eastern Afghanistan, looking for IEDs (improvised explosive devices). Route clearance is one of the most dangerous missions for US troops on the ground – a quarter- inch turn to the wrong side of the road can mean death or mutilation. “With friends that have passed, that have been blown up over there, it’s just constantly with you,” he said.

His symptoms became so debilitating that he eventually admitted himself to a stay in a mental health institution, just a few weeks before he heard about EquiCenter. When he started working with the horses, the results were astounding.

“It has helped me immensely,” he said. By focusing on taking care of the animals, he was able to become better at taking care of himself. Over time he became more patient, more present with his fiancée and children. “It’s the horses – they did this. They did all of it,” he said.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

Az and I have made it to virtual Cougar Rock with 23.1 miles under our saddle girth. For those who have never watched the Tevis Cup, here is a video showing horses and riders going up Cougar Rock. These are real athletes, and some of this is frightening to watch. About half way through the point of view changes so that you can see exactly how brutal this is.

AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:eek:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

I know everyone is eagerly awaiting my report of how the virtual Tevis Cup ride is going, so here's my post from my FB page:
35.8 miles in, and just a trudge down the path to get to Robinson Flat!
If Az and I were actually on the trail in real life, Robinson Flat would be the first place where a crew is allowed in. There is a mandatory hour rest here, starting when your horse's pulse is at 60 bpm. Your crew is lining the trail, waiting to see you and your horse--waiting with buckets, sponges, feed bags, wheeled tack carts, and anything else your HORSE and you might need.
Your crew will help you get the tack off your horse and sponge bathe your horse so that your horse can get cooled down and hit that 60 bpm. Once your horse achieves that goal, there's a slew of vets there at Robinson Flat to check your horse and ensure that your horse is fit to continue.
After your horse sees the vets and is passed through as fit, you and your horse can eat, and you, the rider, can also have a bit of clean up (you'll probably be filthy by this point, and virtually guaranteed to be sweaty, if nothing else).
That hour passes quickly, and it's time to tack back up and hit the trail. Our next goal is the big one--Last Chance--the halfway point.
By tomorrow's report, though, we will have hit Robinson Flat and forged on!
(In the meantime, Az slows down for the deer crossing sign. No, she didn't run it over).
Az and the deer sign.jpg
Az and the deer sign.jpg (180.03 KiB) Viewed 1722 times
I want to point out that we find the deer crossing sign rather amusing. We do have whitetails in eastern Washington, but we have blacktail deer here in western Washington. WA State bought all whitetail deer crossing signs, so no matter what part of the state where they are installed, that sign will be a whitetail.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

ETA.
Edit: The news story about this beluga wale was posted on TFB1.0 when the news broke.

Explanation by this poster starts at 1'45"
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Very interesting.
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Footage in story...

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-08-23/ ... /100398384

The quick-thinking actions of two jockeys have saved a young rider from a devastating fall during a horse race in south-west Queensland.

Key points:
Two riders raced to the rescue as Lilli Barr clung to her horse for "grim death" at a Roma meet
The young rider managed to finish the event after avoiding a potentially dangerous fall
John Rudd said he was happy to help and that safety was more important than winning
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

Dave from down under wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:27 am

The quick-thinking actions of two jockeys have saved a young rider from a devastating fall during a horse race in south-west Queensland.

Excellent job on their part! She was lucky she didn't get hurt.
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

Az on chevrier road.jpg
Az on chevrier road.jpg (134.9 KiB) Viewed 1551 times
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

What a beauty she is! :lovestruck:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Az is just gorgeous. I love seeing these photos and updates!
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

Az is pleased that she has fans! Here was my latest update:
More trail repairs were being done on the road, so we opted for the safe, but really, really boring 'walk around the pasture' (plus a few miles on the private road behind the house, but that's also really boring and Az gets annoyed when I trundle her up and down more than a couple of times). However, on the virtual Tevis trail, we FINALLY got out of the canyon and up past Michigan Bluff and have now gotten to Chicken Hawk. The climb out of the canyon is hot and dusty. Dust everywhere, it's inescapable. The faces of riders become blackened with dust, their throats choked with dust kicked up by horses, and also by the riders, many of whom actually walk/lead their horses.
Michigan Bluff is a 'water only' spot, and Chicken Hawk is a 'gate and go'. Az is in pretty good shape, so we get through the pulse down, and off we go down the trail.
We are heading to Foresthill, four miles away, which is the second checkpoint with a mandatory one hour hold after Az pulses down to 64 bpm. All riders need to be into Foresthill no later than 8 pm, and need to leave Foresthill no later than 9.45 pm if they don't want to be pulled for being over time.
I don't think I will manage to make it to Foresthill by tomorrow, since today was quite tiring , but we should make it at least halfway! We are at 64 miles, 36 miles to go!
(some knucklehead ran into a fire hydrant about 400 feet down the road. The local water and sewer company has been making repairs the last couple of days).
Az prepared to stop Aug 24 2021.jpg
Az prepared to stop Aug 24 2021.jpg (195.29 KiB) Viewed 1499 times
Az was not pleased about having to stop, since home is on the other side of that sign.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

:lol:
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

Az just knows the new fire hydrant is going to kill her.

Part of my FB story from that day:
We had managed to successfully get past the scary new fire hydrant on the way out, but on the way home Az was startled by a scary monster lurking behind some blackberry bushes. The monster turned out to be a very friendly and horse-loving neighbour who has plans to put in a covered arena in the near future and who invited us to come ride in it when she's done. Can you all say AWESOME? And even more awesome, I told her that Az and I were 'competing' in the Virtual Tevis Cup and she KNEW WHAT I WAS TALKING ABOUT. She knew about the Tevis Cup because apparently a niece of hers had won the Haggin Cup for Best Conditioned Horse one year on an Anglo-Arabian. Whoa....
Coming in first is always great, but in the endurance world, Best Conditioned Horse is actually a bigger win. We will have gone 100 miles (taking more than one day, but we're old), but the rules for the Tevis Cup call for one's horse to be 'fit to continue' after going that 100 miles. There is one last vet check at the finish line, and more than one rider and horse have 'failed to finish' because they couldn't get past the vet check. The top ten finishers must remain at the fairgrounds, and will be examined by the vets the following day. That is when Best Conditioned Horse is determined.
Az checking out the new fire hydrant Aug 26 2021.jpg
Az checking out the new fire hydrant Aug 26 2021.jpg (136.71 KiB) Viewed 1448 times
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://video.devamiburda.com/amazing-f ... -horse_231
It looks like an optical illusion but this chestnut foal was born with his own perfect white shadow. The unique marking is the profile of another horse which runs up his left shoulder and neck. It then merges seamlessly from white to black into his mane.The pattern is such a work of art that the foal's owners have called him Da Vinci, or Vinny for short. He was born at the start of May at Fyling Hall riding school at Robin Hood's Bay, North Yorkshire. Wendy Bulmer, who runs the riding school, said: 'I bought his mother at a sale and didn't know she was in foal [pregnant] so that was a bit of a surprise. He's even got a little white heart shape on his bottom as well.'
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

I'd seen this several years ago (he was foaled in 2015), but haven't seen any updates on him.

Odd that they called him a chestnut, as he looks to have a dark mane and tail, which would make him a bay, not a chestnut.

I've wondered if his markings are still as startling now as they were then?
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Does he also qualify as a paint?
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Reddog

Post by Reddog »

For some reason it made me think of Escher.
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:41 pm Does he also qualify as a paint?
In the United States, 'Paint' has been turned into a recognized breed. Paints are essentially Quarter Horses which had too much white for the QH breed standard, so the people who owned those horses decided to start their own breed registry, the American Paint Horse Association.

In the United States, he would be considered a pinto (which is a coat colour of white patches and any other colour), because he is not a registered Paint. In the UK, he would simply be designated as a 'coloured' horse.
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

Azastan wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:47 am Az just knows the new fire hydrant is going to kill her.

Part of my FB story from that day:
Az checking out the new fire hydrant Aug 26 2021.jpg
She's beautiful! But why does she have shoes only on her front feet? :confuzzled:
FiveAcres

Post by FiveAcres »

I had a mare that was in the Paint registry. However, her coloring did not really qualify. Although she had a lot of white on her legs, the white did not go above her knees. I was told that to be a proper Paint, she would have to have white on her body. As it happens, she did have a white streak on her belly, but it wasn't very impressive.
Avatar was a photo I took by Killary Fjord in 2005. Killary Fjord is in Northern Connemara, Ireland.
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

MsDaisy wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:31 pm
She's beautiful! But why does she have shoes only on her front feet? :confuzzled:
Horses tend to be forehand heavy, so if they have thin soles (which she does), rocks are going to hurt more on the front feet than on the hinds. Her hind feet have nice thick soles, so they don't need as much protection. It's quite common for horses to have shoes or boots on just the front feet.
FiveAcres

Post by FiveAcres »

Azastan wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:03 pm
MsDaisy wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:31 pm
Horses tend to be forehand heavy, so if they have thin soles (which she does), rocks are going to hurt more on the front feet than on the hinds. Her hind feet have nice thick soles, so they don't need as much protection. It's quite common for horses to have shoes or boots on just the front feet.
I had a Thoroughbred gelding with the bad habit of losing one of his front shoes five weeks after shoeing. The farrier had him scheduled to be shod on an eight week schedule. Hap would decide he was crippled for life when he lost a shoe. So we would put a easy-boot on and start looking for the shoe in the field. His shoes were specially made which made losing one even more than a pain than usual with a horse. His farriers got used to getting calls from me or my trainer to come tack it back on until his next "full" shoeing.

Once he was retired, and he no longer had to support a rider's weight as well as his own on his forehand, he was able to go without shoes. But it was expensive keeping him shod before then.
Avatar was a photo I took by Killary Fjord in 2005. Killary Fjord is in Northern Connemara, Ireland.

Return to “General Stuff”