Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Horses! and pets/animals other than cats and dogs

MsDaisy
Verified:

Re: Horses! and pets other than cats and dogs

Post by MsDaisy »

FiveAcres wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:24 am
Azastan wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:03 pm
MsDaisy wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:31 pm
She's beautiful! But why does she have shoes only on her front feet? :confuzzled:
Horses tend to be forehand heavy, so if they have thin soles (which she does), rocks are going to hurt more on the front feet than on the hinds. Her hind feet have nice thick soles, so they don't need as much protection. It's quite common for horses to have shoes or boots on just the front feet.
I had a Thoroughbred gelding with the bad habit of losing one of his front shoes five weeks after shoeing. The farrier had him scheduled to be shod on an eight week schedule. Hap would decide he was crippled for life when he lost a shoe. So we would put a easy-boot on and start looking for the shoe in the field. His shoes were specially made which made losing one even more than a pain than usual with a horse. His farriers got used to getting calls from me or my trainer to come tack it back on until his next "full" shoeing.

Once he was retired, and he no longer had to support a rider's weight as well as his own on his forehand, he was able to go without shoes. But it was expensive keeping him shod before then.
I guess I never realized how much trouble horses have with their feet. I've always loved horses, but was never lucky enough to have one.
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

It's not too early to start thinking of a Christmas present for our hero Foggy. What do y'all think? h/t Milo.

Lobster.JPG
Lobster.JPG (56.75 KiB) Viewed 1760 times
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

orlylicious wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:10 pm It's not too early to start thinking of a Christmas present for our hero Foggy. What do y'all think? h/t Milo.

Lobster.JPG
$50 would be cheap for a nice lobster dinner.
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

Not exactly pets, but twin baby elephants is very cool!
Twins.png
Twins.png (245.7 KiB) Viewed 1724 times
Sri Lanka reports rare birth of elephant twins in orphanage

They might be small, but they're healthy.

Sri Lanka's main elephant orphanage has recorded a rare birth of elephant twins.

Their mother, a 25-year-old named Surangi, delivered healthy male calves.

They are the first elephant twins born in captivity in Sri Lanka since 1941, according to elephant expert Jayantha Jayewardene.

"Both the calves and the mother are doing fine," said Renuka Bandaranaike, head of the Pinnawala Elephant Orphanage.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-09-01/ ... /100426858
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

Yesterday Az and I crossed (virtually) the North Fork of the Middle Fork of the American River (at least I think it's the northern fork of the middle fork, but it's definitely the American River).

The best I could do was to fill up one of the potholes in my driveway, since I don't have a river close enough by that I could use.

Az really doesn't like water, so it took a while to convince her to cross my virtual river.
Az NOPE Sept 3 2021.jpg
Az NOPE Sept 3 2021.jpg (93.59 KiB) Viewed 1693 times
Nope.

[
Az  says no to crossing the river Sept 3. 2021.jpg
Az says no to crossing the river Sept 3. 2021.jpg (161.83 KiB) Viewed 1693 times
Twenty minutes later, we finally got across the river.
Az crosses the river Sept 3 2021.jpg
Az crosses the river Sept 3 2021.jpg (181.24 KiB) Viewed 1693 times
We are at mile 92.4!
FiveAcres

Post by FiveAcres »

The water crossing reminds me of a time I was a safety rider at a local competitive trail ride. After lunch at the campground, there was a short walk before there was a creek that had to be crossed before completing the second part of the day. The last person to cross was a youngster on a very experienced little Arab. The youngster was the grandchild of someone who had done a lot of competitive trail rides and the mare should have crossed without any hesitation. But apparently, she wasn't up for leaving camp that afternoon. The adult safety riders all hung back, but finally crossed slowly to see if that would give the mare the incentive to cross. Nope.

Finally, one of the safety riders said, "if we help her, she will be disqualified." Silence. He rode back across the creek, clipped a lead rope to the bit, and led the mare carefully across the water. No one said anything. He turned the mare loose, the child continued on, and I don't think any of the adults ever said a word.
Avatar was a photo I took by Killary Fjord in 2005. Killary Fjord is in Northern Connemara, Ireland.
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

FiveAcres wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:24 pm The water crossing reminds me of a time I was a safety rider at a local competitive trail ride. After lunch at the campground, there was a short walk before there was a creek that had to be crossed before completing the second part of the day. The last person to cross was a youngster on a very experienced little Arab. The youngster was the grandchild of someone who had done a lot of competitive trail rides and the mare should have crossed without any hesitation. But apparently, she wasn't up for leaving camp that afternoon. The adult safety riders all hung back, but finally crossed slowly to see if that would give the mare the incentive to cross. Nope.

Finally, one of the safety riders said, "if we help her, she will be disqualified." Silence. He rode back across the creek, clipped a lead rope to the bit, and led the mare carefully across the water. No one said anything. He turned the mare loose, the child continued on, and I don't think any of the adults ever said a word.
That was kind of you all!

I can get Az to cross puddles (eventually), but there are ditches alongside the road we travel and in the winter when they are full of water I can't get her to go near them.
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

We finished!
Az and Joey at the finish line Sept 7 2021.jpg
Az and Joey at the finish line Sept 7 2021.jpg (157.25 KiB) Viewed 1600 times
FiveAcres

Post by FiveAcres »

Congratulations!

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Avatar was a photo I took by Killary Fjord in 2005. Killary Fjord is in Northern Connemara, Ireland.
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

:thumbsup:
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:dance: :clap: :thumbsup:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Hey! I’ve rafted the North Fork of the Middle Fork of the American River! I don’t remember horses, though. :batting:
Off Topic
On a different trip, the Middle Fork, mr520 learned a valuable lesson: Keep the safety talk short.
We had a mix of experience levels in our family trip, from beginners to guides. The beginners didn’t pay attention during the talk. This run is an extremely popular day trip for rafters. This day it was so busy the Rangers were giving out start times to keep the groups from piling up on each other down stream. Miss your time, go to the end of the line.

Off we went at our allotted time. All was going well, if slowly, until the biggest rapid. Shortly before we reached it, my dad sat on the left forward tube’s valve in a way you’re not supposed to be able to do, slowly letting air out. The tube sagged and when we went through the rapid it dipped into the water, tipping the boat and dumping out the guide (mr520), my dad, my SIL, and David. Seeing the group behind us bearing down on them, mr yelled “SWIM” and pointed to river left. Without hesitation, dad, David, and mr struck out for shore, leaving my SIL screaming “SWIM? ARE YOU SHITTING ME?” from the middle of the river. She finally figured it out and struggled ashore. She was very angry and yelled at mr for a while until my brother turned to her and asked “You weren’t listening to the safety talk, were you?” She shut up. A few months later she sent mr and awesome apology letter in which she thanked him for waking her up to her tendency to walk through life not paying much attention. He thanked her for making him improve his safety talk.
I still don’t like her. ;)
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

Phoenix520 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:34 pm Hey! I’ve rafted the North Fork of the Middle Fork of the American River! I don’t remember horses, though. :batting:
Horses cross at Poverty Bar, fording the river. You could have seen them crossing at No Hands Bridge, too. I didn't include my FB post for No Hands Bridge, so here it is:
No Hands Bridge is no longer quite the hurdle it used to be. As a youngster, I remember going 'somewhere' to hike on either California state land or federal land, and my father having to drive across a quite rickety wooden bridge with no guardrails! We did that several times over the course of a few years, and I always held my breath because the bridge was about 100 feet long and always felt as if it was going to fall down into the river. Additionally, my father had a really bad habit of taking his hands off the steering wheel so that he could enthusiastically point out the birds which had just flown past us! I have no idea where this was, other than 'mid-Northern California', and not one of my siblings can remember where it was either. The bridge is long gone now, as I think it got torn down shortly after we last went across it, because yes, it was unsafe! The bridge I remember is not No Hands Bridge, but it sure does bring back memories!
Still, No Hands Bridge is high up in the air (150 feet), and it would have been long enough to make you think twice if your horse was the least bit spooky (482 feet long). The guard rails weren't added until September of 1986. It's on the National Register of Historic Places and it's a California State Historic Landmark .If you have a good imagination, and trust your horse, you too can go 'No Hands' as you cross. If nothing else, throw your hands up and thank goodness that you are now only about four miles away from the finish line!

Once you cross No Hands Bridge the trail runs somewhat parallel to the road for a while, but then turns away from the road and eventually makes one last climb to Robie Point. Don't get lost! This is a popular hiking area and there are lots of little trails which do NOT take you to McCann Stadium!

In real life, Az and I crossed a very scary rock partition wall in a stormwater retention pond, which had to make do as 'No Hands Bridge'. It took several minutes to get across, and the photo does not show how really narrow and high it is. Fortunately there was virtually no water in the pond or I'd have never convinced her to go across. We got in 3.3 miles today, which means we are only 1.8 miles from the finish line!
Az No Hands Bridge 1 Sept 6 2021.jpg
Az No Hands Bridge 1 Sept 6 2021.jpg (85.32 KiB) Viewed 1555 times
The original No Hands Bridge

no hands no rail.jpg
no hands no rail.jpg (212.39 KiB) Viewed 1555 times
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:shock:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Reminds me of a similar bridge in the countryside of Spain, going offroad with our SUVs, tires scratching along the left and right low walls (like here) and special challenge to get on and off the first/last bridge span cause dirt causeway washed out.
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:21 am :shock:
I've had people tell me that doesn't look too bad.

However, this bridge is four miles from the end of the ONE HUNDRED MILE ride. During the Tevis Cup, it is ALWAYS and I emphasize ALWAYS ridden in the DARK, simply because even the fastest rider arrives at this point well after 8.30 pm, which is when the sun sets at the time of the year when the Tevis Cup is held.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

Darling, but check out the claws on that guy!
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Interesting info.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

So... recipes included?

Basically, Koi are carp. Which brings to mind a Czech tradition my husband used to tell me about. Having carp for your Christmas dinner is a very old Czech tradition. That tradition also calls for bringing home the live carp a few days before Christmas and keeping it in your bathtub until it's time to prepare it. I did a little googling and apparently he wasn't making this up. He grew up in a very Czech community in northeast Iowa so I imagine there were folks there who kept the tradition alive.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:24 pm So... recipes included?

Basically, Koi are carp. Which brings to mind a Czech tradition my husband used to tell me about. Having carp for your Christmas dinner is a very old Czech tradition. That tradition also calls for bringing home the live carp a few days before Christmas and keeping it in your bathtub until it's time to prepare it. I did a little googling and apparently he wasn't making this up. He grew up in a very Czech community in northeast Iowa so I imagine there were folks there who kept the tradition alive.
Most villages had a pond where they would keep carp as a community asset. The pond was the local water reservoir, source for fire fighting, or fallback in case of draught. Depending on the setting would also be a recreational area. Fresh caught carp need first to be cleansed before killing, so people bring "their" carp home and keep it in the bath a you described. Cleansing gets rid of bad taste from the algae in the water.
qbawl

Post by qbawl »

My grandpappy had a carp recipe that involved a pine board and a trip to the cow barn.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

RTH10260 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:41 pm Fresh caught carp need first to be cleansed before killing, so people bring "their" carp home and keep it in the bath a you described. Cleansing gets rid of bad taste from the algae in the water.
Yeah, that's what my sweetie would say. He'd comment that it was a bottom feeder, so the time in the bathtub would get rid of some of that bottom feeding taste.
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

Carp fishing is a great sport in the UK. Carp are not caught to be eaten, they are caught and returned to their waters. Carp can live to great age, and many individual carp in the UK are well known and have names. There were several magazines in the UK devoted to carp fishing. "Boilies" being the main bait.

Return to “General Stuff”