INDICTED (INDICATED) #4 - Quadfecta! Perfecta? - Judge Scott McAfee - Georgia v. Trump ET AL - P01135809- Fani Willis

Abandon reality, all ye who enter here. *Democracy*Under*Threat*
realist

INDICTED (INDICATED) #4 - Quadfecta! Perfecta? - Judge Scott McAfee - Georgia v. Trump ET AL - P01135809- Fani Willis

Post by realist »

Not the Court's determination (which should be issued any day IMO) but the correct one from the GA Fulton County Board of Ethics re Fani Willis.
"A Fulton County Board of Ethics discussion concerning two complaints against the county’s district attorney, Fani Willis, was canceled on Thursday.

The complaints were on the agenda when the special meeting was scheduled for March 7 at 10 a.m. But as of Thursday morning, they had been removed. Before the meeting, Chairman Daraka Satcher said the board doesn’t have the authority to hear the complaints because Willis and all other district attorneys are state, not county, officers.
“The Fulton County code of ethics, our code of ethics, only applies to county officers and employees,” Satcher said. “The Fulton County district attorney does not fall within the definition of a county officer.”

The two complaints against Willis were filed by Gregory Mantell, founder of the Substack blog Investigative News Service, and Fulton County resident Steven Kramer."
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... r-BB1juObv
Image X 4
Image X 32
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

Judge McAffee dismissed 6 of the counts. He's allowing the state to refile the 6 counts. Something like this would make me inclined to believe he's not going to remove willis from the case.

ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

If I understood the decision (if!!), the judge is saying "the prosecution described the relevant [bad!] acts in detail, but they didn't mention clearly enough in what specific ways these acts were illegal". My non-lawyer reading is that the judge is being cautious, possibly anticipating and avoiding pernickety grounds for appeal.

The judge wants the relevant charges tidied up and resubmitted. He doesn't actually say he wants them resubmitted, just says it's ok to do so, and it's difficult to imagine that not happening.

So a nothingburger?
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

Sam the Centipede wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:55 pm If I understood the decision (if!!), the judge is saying "the prosecution described the relevant [bad!] acts in detail, but they didn't mention clearly enough in what specific ways these acts were illegal". My non-lawyer reading is that the judge is being cautious, possibly anticipating and avoiding pernickety grounds for appeal.

The judge wants the relevant charges tidied up and resubmitted. He doesn't actually say he wants them resubmitted, just says it's ok to do so, and it's difficult to imagine that not happening.

So a nothingburger?
I would imagine if he's asking for this then why would he even be inclined to dismiss Willis like the right wants?
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Dr. Ken wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:01 pm
Sam the Centipede wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:55 pm If I understood the decision (if!!), the judge is saying "the prosecution described the relevant [bad!] acts in detail, but they didn't mention clearly enough in what specific ways these acts were illegal". My non-lawyer reading is that the judge is being cautious, possibly anticipating and avoiding pernickety grounds for appeal.

So a nothingburger?
I would imagine if he's asking for this then why would he even be inclined to dismiss Willis like the right wants?
I have no take, but report ftr that Lisa Rubin, who has been leading coverage on MSNBC thinks this is a bad sign for Willis. I guess I only report it to vent my frustration, because she did not explain why that I could follow. She also opined yesterday that Willis had lied on the stand--but again, did not specify what she was talking about (although I assume all the legal reports have convinced themselves that the affair started early than either one is saying, and that McAfee will conclude thus, despite the absence of proof).
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

So much for this boondoggle

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:mbounce:

Yes!!! Bye, bye, Wade!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Horrible ruling for Willis. McAfee invites various agencies to investigate Willis/Wade, and makes it clear he thinks she's a liar with (to me) prejudicial language (cf "odor of mendacity").

Given that there was no reason to actually buy into the Let's Make Money! scheme, I don't think this could be much worse.

Weissmann thinks that after Wade is gone, Willis should recuse herself. (Because there are so many other prosecutors of her status ready to jump in after the head and shoulders of the case have been chopped off. /sarcasm)
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

One thing I’ve never understood about this supposed actual conflict of interest and Willis supposedly having a financial stake: The State AG’s office, that is, Willis, hired Wade. Wade did the work, and earned the money he got from the State. Why shouldn’t he get to do what he wants with the money if he actually earned it? I just don’t see how his voluntarily using money he earned to pay for things for her amounts to a financial stake for her. As near as I can tell, no one really talked about that and the judge doesn’t discuss it in the ruling.

I don’t know. Maybe I’m missing something.

I’m glad Wade’s gone, though. This is an unnecessary distraction.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Maybenaut wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:13 am One thing I’ve never understood about this supposed actual conflict of interest and Willis supposedly having a financial stake: The State AG’s office, that is, Willis, hired Wade. Wade did the work, and earned the money he got from the State. Why shouldn’t he get to do what he wants with the money if he actually earned it? I just don’t see how his voluntarily using money he earned to pay for things for her amounts to a financial stake for her. As near as I can tell, no one really talked about that and the judge doesn’t discuss it in the ruling.

:snippity:
Part of their idiot theory was that the black guy was an unqualified ... black guy. They maligned his record by ignoring what he actually had done in favor of saying that, gasp, he (like most lawyers on the planet), had no experience, gasp, with RICO!!!! And then there was All The Money He Made. Clearly not worth the $250 per hour (low, they say, even for GA). And THEN he got his hours cap RAISED, gasp, so that he could actually be paid for MOST of the hours he actually worked.

Side note: I recently heard that the salary cap for, I _think_ hiring a special prosecutor to replace Willis (???) was $90 per hour in GA. So no one would ever do it. Plus the bonus death threats, racial slurs, and idiot attacks on character.
sterngard friegen

Post by sterngard friegen »

Willis did not help herself with her outrageous performance in the witness box.

I was reminded of Queen Gertrude's comment when Willis took the stand and failed to answer the fecking questions: "The Lady doth protest too much, methinks."

Judge McAfee thought so, too (at p. 9):
Without sufficient evidence that the District Attorney acquired a personal stake in the prosecution, or that her financial arrangements had any impact on the case, the Defendants’ claims of an actual conflict must be denied. This finding is by no means an indication that the Court condones this tremendous lapse in judgment or the unprofessional manner of the District Attorney’s testimony during the evidentiary hearing.
Neither disbarred nor disciplined after representing President Barack Obama. :oldman:
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Maybenaut wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:13 am One thing I’ve never understood about this supposed actual conflict of interest and Willis supposedly having a financial stake: The State AG’s office, that is, Willis, hired Wade. Wade did the work, and earned the money he got from the State. Why shouldn’t he get to do what he wants with the money if he actually earned it? I just don’t see how his voluntarily using money he earned to pay for things for her amounts to a financial stake for her. As near as I can tell, no one really talked about that and the judge doesn’t discuss it in the ruling.

I’m glad Wade’s gone, though. This is an unnecessary distraction.
She had made a comment for a book, and they tried to use the comment in that book as a basis for "she needed money". However, the writers of said book explained that the comment in the book has nothing to do with her current financial status. She was asked by the authors of the book if she ever "considered not running for AG". In her response she mentioned that when she first ran for a judge position years ago she was an unknown and largely had to use her own money. She continued to say that she then spent the next couple of years having to work hard to save every penny she could to replace her savings account which got diminished during that judges' race. So, the Trump lawyers jumped all over that quote and opined that forevermore she must be in financial tatters so she must have had to have had a boyfriend making money that he could spend on her. And since his income came from the State of GA she they were abusing State funds.

This whole thing was absurd. But, just like Ken Starr was able to put Clinton into a precarious position, they were able to see if she would take the bait and lie about the affair or when it started. They took a complete nothingburger and turned it into a circus sideshow.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Post by Reality Check »

The bottom line is that Wade will be off the case, Willis will stay and the case will go forward. Willis needs to act quickly on a replacement for Wade. I am sure there are competent and willing prosecutors from which she can choose.
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

Reality Check wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:54 am The bottom line is that Wade will be off the case, Willis will stay and the case will go forward. Willis needs to act quickly on a replacement for Wade. I am sure there are competent and willing prosecutors from which she can choose.
I would laugh if she found someone crazy good at their job and removing wade would bite the trump team in the ass.
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Post by Reality Check »

Dr. Ken wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:18 am :snippity:
I would laugh if she found someone crazy good at their job and removing wade would bite the trump team in the ass.
That's what I proposed would be the best outcome when this all started.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Reality Check wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:54 am The bottom line is that Wade will be off the case, Willis will stay and the case will go forward. Willis needs to act quickly on a replacement for Wade. I am sure there are competent and willing prosecutors from which she can choose.
I didn’t win a prize cuz I didn’t post on the Fogbow BUT I did tell Hubby the judge wouldn’t remove her. AND the jury will not have seen her testimony. So I agree with RC that this was all a distraction that didn’t work unless it was Wade Defendants wanted to get rid of.

I too hope the replacement kicks ass!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

So now the horse race begins for a replacement. This is completely racist/misogyist but I hope they get a white man - takes away all their other nonsense (the defendants) and they'll have only their weak defense of criminal behavior (esp if that person does a lot in court). The flamboyant ones I can think of are all the teevee defense lawyers. I liked the former governor who initially turned it down because he's too busy. Who's the twitter RICO guy...Ken White (@popehat)?

When it comes to the actual trial, will Willis be the lead in the courtroom?
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

Rolodex wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:45 pm So now the horse race begins for a replacement. This is completely racist/misogyist but I hope they get a white man - takes away all their other nonsense (the defendants) and they'll have only their weak defense of criminal behavior (esp if that person does a lot in court). The flamboyant ones I can think of are all the teevee defense lawyers. I liked the former governor who initially turned it down because he's too busy. Who's the twitter RICO guy...Ken White (@popehat)?

Time to stop being nice and hire an absolute pitbull
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

Pitbull = exactly my thought. Surely there's someone in Georgia who's up to the job.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Dr. Ken wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:59 pm
Rolodex wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:45 pm So now the horse race begins for a replacement. This is completely racist/misogyist but I hope they get a white man - takes away all their other nonsense (the defendants) and they'll have only their weak defense of criminal behavior (esp if that person does a lot in court). The flamboyant ones I can think of are all the teevee defense lawyers. I liked the former governor who initially turned it down because he's too busy. Who's the twitter RICO guy...Ken White (@popehat)?

Which would be fantastic. But who will take the job and who will pay them a tenth what the job is worth?
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

p0rtia wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:18 pm
Dr. Ken wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:59 pm

Which would be fantastic. But who will take the job and who will pay them a tenth what the job is worth?
Maybe someone who is willing to do it for the exposure? I really do hope she finds someone who is a killer in the courtroom. I want her to choose someone that will not only make Trump crap his pants, but cause his lawyers to wish they'd put on an adult diaper prior to the announcement of the new prosecutor on her team.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

What kind of practice did Wade have prior to being a special prosecutor? Did he have specialized knowledge in this area of law?
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Rolodex wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:07 pm What kind of practice did Wade have prior to being a special prosecutor? Did he have specialized knowledge in this area of law?
Nathan J. Wade
A Former Prosecutor and natural born trial Attorney, Nathan J. Wade is a seasoned attorney licensed to practice in all of Georgia’s courts. He is a skilled negotiator who knows when to take a case to trial.

He serves the citizens of Cobb County as Associate Municipal Court Judge and as a Pro Has State Court Judge.

Whether you are in need of representation after a major car accident or are going through a change in your personal life that requires representation with a family law issue; whether you have a contract dispute, or whether you are involved in any type of civil litigation, Nathan J. Wade will be a zealous advocate for you.

As a private practitioner for many years and a recently appointed Special Assistant Attorney General for the State of Georgia, Nathan J. Wade has been recognized by his peers with numerous awards for his excellence as an attorney and for his service to his community, to include Georgia’s Top Lawyer/Legal Elite award and the Justice Robert Benham Award for Community Service.
https://wadeandcampbell.com/nathan-j-wade/
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Too bad Jack Smith is not available.

Return to “The Big Lie & Aftermath of The Former Guy”