Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

John Durham's Investigation & Hannity's Delusional Operation Boomerang

Abandon reality, all ye who enter here. *Democracy*Under*Threat*
Volkonski
Verified:

Re: John Durham's Investigation & Hannity's Delusional Operation Boomerang

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Post by Reality Check »

FBI Investigation of the Alfa Bank matter in a nutshell:

FBI: "Dear Alfa Bank, may we see your server logs?"
Alfa Bank: "We don't need no stinkin' server logs!"
FBI: "Thank you. Investigation closed."
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

when the meatheads claim that the jury was tainted, i just ask them, “you never pulled jury duty, have you?”

these idiots are always the ones with the fake doctor’s notes.
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

Reality Check wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 4:26 pm FBI Investigation of the Alfa Bank matter in a nutshell:

FBI: "Dear Alfa Bank, may we see your server logs?"
Alfa Bank: "We don't need no stinkin' server logs!"
FBI: "Thank you. Investigation closed."
which kinda makes you wonder if this wasn’t actually a US intel operation.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Is it just me, or does Barr seem to have aged 10 years in the last year?

Barr: I’m a little tired of voices saying these people belong in jail
Barr: I’m very proud of Durham and I do take responsibility for his appointment.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Bongino claims you can determine the outcome of a federal trial by looking at who appointed the judge. Also, he claims the Durham failure was due to jury nullification, since they had Sussmann dead to rights.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

The judge in Manafort's case was nominated by Reagan. Sirica (from Watergate days) was an Ike appointee.

Just another case of the right showing how much they despise America and the Constitution.
101010 :towel:
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

raison de arizona wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:07 pm Bongino claims you can determine the outcome of a federal trial by looking at who appointed the judge. Also, he claims the Durham failure was due to jury nullification, since they had Sussmann dead to rights.
I thought that the right wing nutjobs believe that jury nullification is a GOOD thing.
raison de arizona

noblepa wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:50 am
raison de arizona wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:07 pm Bongino claims you can determine the outcome of a federal trial by looking at who appointed the judge. Also, he claims the Durham failure was due to jury nullification, since they had Sussmann dead to rights.
I thought that the right wing nutjobs believe that jury nullification is a GOOD thing.
Michael Sussmann acquitted by a jury of Hillary Clinton's peers
Sussmann trial defense hinged on a biased jury of Washington, DC, liberals
By Gregg Jarrett | Fox News

In Washington, D.C. there is no such thing as a jury of peers. There is only a jury of Hillary Clinton supporters. On Tuesday, the twelve people who acquitted Hillary’s consigliere, Michael Sussmann, proved it.

The evidence of the defendant’s guilt was obvious and overwhelming. Special counsel John Durham’s prosecutors presented incontrovertible evidence that Clinton’s campaign lawyer knowingly peddled phony Trump-Russia collusion information to the FBI and lied about whom he was representing.
:snippity:
Sussmann offered no real or credible defense to the charge against him. How could he? It’s impossible to explain the inexplicable or to defend the indefensible. That’s why he did not take the witness stand. He would have been eviscerated on cross-examination or might have otherwise exposed himself to another charge of perjury if he lied.
If the defendant were tried in a neutral and fair venue, he’d be toast. Slap on the cuffs and send him off to the hoosegow already. That’s how strong the evidence was against him. But as I stated on air at the outset of the trial, Sussmann was relying on the concept of "jury nullification" where the triers of fact perversely ignore the evidence and repudiate the rule of law to acquit a plainly guilty man. Indeed, that’s what happened. No surprise.
https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/michael ... ump-russia

Off to the hoosegow but for those meddling kids! But yeah, that’s what they are feeding the rubes over at FoxNews.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Notable that the former attorney general says revealing information about Hillary Clinton's campaign was "far m ore important" for the special counsel he appointed than obtaining a conviction.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Does he want a participation trophy?

Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
tek

Post by tek »

Notable that the former attorney general says revealing information about Hillary Clinton's campaign was "far m ore important" for the special counsel he appointed than obtaining a conviction.
So he's saying Durham used the court and the proceedings as a way to get his message out?
IIRC courts don't like that.
northland10

Post by northland10 »

My thinking is the best he would have gotten even in Virginia would have been a hung jury. Good thing this was just a show for their right-wing base.
raison de arizona

northland10 wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:33 pm My thinking is the best he would have gotten even in Virginia would have been a hung jury. Good thing this was just a show for their right-wing base.
The usual suspects are reporting that soon RWNJ juries will be employing jury nullification to imprison liberals. Not sure how that is going to work exactly, but openly saying that the plan is to convict without evidence via jury nullification is...disturbing.
northland10

Post by northland10 »

That does not even make sense because jury nullification only works on acquittals, or at least hung juries, because a conviction must be unanimous. However, with these folks, they will make it work by removing anybody from the jury who won't vote to convict. The courts are for vengeance, not justice, in their mind.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Here in my redneck spot in SWFL, I've seen two bumper stickers that read, "Trump 2024 - The Revenge Tour."

Nothing like broadcasting it, amirite?
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

northland10 wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:45 pm That does not even make sense because jury nullification only works on acquittals, or at least hung juries, because a conviction must be unanimous. However, with these folks, they will make it work by removing anybody from the jury who won't vote to convict. The courts are for vengeance, not justice, in their mind.
Acquittals are what we tend to talk about, but convicting someone you know is innocent is another form of jury nullification... it was quite popular in the jim crow south.
northland10

Post by northland10 »

Which is what some of them hope will return.
bob

Post by bob »

neeneko wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:21 pm
northland10 wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:45 pm That does not even make sense because jury nullification only works on acquittals, or at least hung juries, because a conviction must be unanimous. However, with these folks, they will make it work by removing anybody from the jury who won't vote to convict. The courts are for vengeance, not justice, in their mind.
Acquittals are what we tend to talk about, but convicting someone you know is innocent is another form of jury nullification... it was quite popular in the jim crow south.
I would quibble calling a wrongful conviction a form of "nullification," but, yes, convictions (and civil verdicts) without sufficient evidence sometimes occur. Fortunately courts these days are more open to reversing jury verdicts that relied on insufficient evidence.

Over at the P&E, they're whining about the jury pool and the jurors. Some jerk* suggested people like Flynn and Papadopoulos, if they were a-scared of the jury pool, should have crimed elsewhere. (We'll see if Rondeau allows that.)

* :whistle:
Image ImageImage
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

After John Durham wasted 3 years and $40 million to end up with a huge defeat in the Sussman trial last week, one man is not giving up hope that someday, somehow, Durham will prosecute Hillary.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Why would Durham get that task over a proven failure in his career path? The more I think Durham has a chance for a safe position at The Truth platform.

as long as the platform does not follow the dire ends of T businesses...
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

RTH10260 wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:59 pm Why would Durham get that task over a proven failure in his career path? The more I think Durham has a chance for a safe position at The Truth platform.

as long as the platform does not follow the dire ends of T businesses...
Which would be a fitting end to his illustrious career.
raison de arizona

This is from last week, but I just noticed it so here you go.
Durham requests 30 subpoenas for testimony in trial against Steele source Igor Danchenko

Special counsel John Durham requested a federal court to issue 30 subpoenas for testimony in the trial against Igor Danchenko, British ex-spy Christopher Steele’s alleged main source for his discredited dossier.

Danchenko was charged with five counts of making false statements to the FBI, which Durham says he made about the information he provided to Steele for the dossier. His trial is scheduled for October. The DOJ’s watchdog said FBI interviews with Danchenko “raised significant questions about the reliability of the Steele election reporting” and concluded Danchenko “contradicted the allegations of a ‘well-developed conspiracy’ in” Steele’s dossier. He has pleaded not guilty.

Durham’s brief court filing on Wednesday requested the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia to issue “thirty subpoenas” for an “appearance before said Court at Alexandria, Virginia,” starting on Oct. 11 “to testify on behalf of the United States.” The potential witnesses are not named, but a copy of the blank subpoena reads that “YOU ARE COMMANDED to appear.”
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news ... le-dossier
:roll:
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Igor Danchenko, British ex-spy Christopher Steele’s alleged main source for his discredited dossier.
Typical Washington Examiner. The dossier was never really discredited, and who exactly alleged that Danchenko was Steele's main source?

Just off the top of my head I remember that Steele was a longtime agent who specialized in Russia for thirty years or more. He's likely to have dozens of sources for his dossier. Danchenko doesn't become the primary source of everything in the dossier just because he's the only one who lied to the FBI (if he did, in fact, lie to the FBI).

And 30 subpoenas seems excessive at first glance, but maybe Durham has an actual strategy or sumpin' this time around.

(Narrator: His strategy is to make Hillary look bad and nobody cares if he gets a conviction.)
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

this is from a month ago,
As a reminder, the Danchenko indictment charges the former Christopher Steele source with telling five lies to the FBI in interviews in which they tried to vet the Steele dossier:

One alleged lie on June 15, 2017 about whether he had spoken with Chuck Dolan “about any material contained in the” dossier.
Four alleged lies, told in interviews on March 16, May 18, October 24, and November 16, 2017, that he spoke to Sergei Millian in late July 2016 when Danchenko knew (variably in 2016 or in the interviews in 2017) that he had never spoken with him; one charged lie accuses Danchenko of wittingly lying about speaking to Millian more than once.
Durham will have to prove that these five statements were intentional lies and that they were material to the FBI’s operations.

https://www.emptywheel.net/2022/06/06/j ... mann-case/

Return to “The Big Lie & Aftermath of The Former Guy”