Coronavirus: Vaccines

We have ALL your misinformation, plus some TRUE FACTS and SCIENCE.
Volkonski
Verified:

Re: Coronavirus: Vaccines

Post by Volkonski »

:thumbsup:
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Anthony Fauci was on Chris Hays' program last night. There is concern that we should not be giving boosters when so many other countries don't have enough. Facci told him that for every one jab here, the US is giving four to other countries.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

I got my Moderna booster shot yesterday and the girl did give a good shot at the time, but holy shit! I’ve been awake most of the night. Every time I moved it woke me up. My MrDaisy gave me the first 2 and they were sore too, but nothing like this! Advil liquid gels are a very good friend at times like this… It's been my drug of choice for many years. :thumbsup:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Merriam-Webster's 2021 word of the year is, of course, 'vaccine'

https://www.npr.org/2021/11/29/10597951 ... mpaign=npr
The publishing company noted that the word holds particular significance both as a medical term and a vehicle for ideological conflict.

"For many, the word symbolized a possible return to the lives we led before the pandemic," it said in Monday's announcement. "But it was also at the center of debates about personal choice, political affiliation, professional regulations, school safety, healthcare inequality, and so much more."

The word of the year is determined by data, as Merriam-Webster has explained in the past. It must have been a top lookup at Merriam-Webster.com in the past 12 months, and it must have seen a significant increase in lookups over the previous year.

That was certainly the case with "vaccine" this year. Lookups for the word increased 601% year-over-year from 2020, and were up 1,048% from 2019, the dictionary said.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Lani

Post by Lani »

I was at my clinic for the B12 shot today when a local man came in with 4 beautiful young daughters. They were so cute in their school uniforms, I wanted to hug them.

He brought them in for the covid vaccine, no need for an appointment. They were so adorable, we all chatted with them. (By "we" I mean the limited number of people allowed in the waiting area and the staff.) They said they were happy because they would keep their tutu (grandmother) safe.

Kids. :lovestruck: (I should say keikis)
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... tudy-finds
Three shots of the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine are likely to provide effective protection against the Omicron variant, laboratory tests suggest.

The vaccine makers said they were keeping the option of an updated Omicron-based vaccine on the table, however, and could produce it by March 2022 if needed.

In the first official statement from vaccine manufacturers on the likely efficacy of their shot against Omicron, BioNTech/Pfizer said that two vaccine doses resulted in significantly lower neutralising antibodies but that a third dose of their vaccine appeared to bring antibody protection up to a level equivalent to two vaccine doses against the original strain.

The findings are broadly in line with a preliminary study published by researchers at the Africa Health Research Institute in South Africa on Tuesday, showing that Omicron can partially evade protection from two doses of the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine.
Cross-posting in the Variant thread.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Three shots of the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine are likely to provide effective protection against the Omicron variant, laboratory tests suggest.
:biggrin:
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
She wanted to dance ... 🎶
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

I told Dr. Vicklund last night that I was become increasingly convinced that the mRNA vaccines should be considered three shot primary series, rather than two plus booster.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2 ... -year-old/
Federal regulators Thursday authorized booster shots of Pfizer-BioNTech’s coronavirus vaccine for 16- and 17-year-olds, a step that could bolster protection against delta, the dominant variant in the United States, and the emerging omicron version.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

W. Kevin Vicklund wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:30 pm I told Dr. Vicklund last night that I was become increasingly convinced that the mRNA vaccines should be considered three shot primary series, rather than two plus booster.
That’s how I’ve always seen them.

I got the third Pfizer 5 months after the second, vs. 6.

Wouldn’t mind a 4th.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

pipistrelle wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:58 pm I got the third Pfizer 5 months after the second, vs. 6.

Wouldn’t mind a 4th.
I initially got the J&J one because that was all the Health Department had at the time (they come out to give me the shots here - which is really nice!). I chose to go with Moderna for my booster - the news had been talking about how the FDA had approved that particular combination (but not J&J with Pfizer at the time - dunno if that's changed or not.) I figured having the 2 different types of technology might make it work at bit better. Now, I kinda wish I could get the Pfizer-BioNTech one as well
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:06 pm
pipistrelle wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:58 pm I got the third Pfizer 5 months after the second, vs. 6.

Wouldn’t mind a 4th.
I initially got the J&J one because that was all the Health Department had at the time (they come out to give me the shots here - which is really nice!). I chose to go with Moderna for my booster - the news had been talking about how the FDA had approved that particular combination (but not J&J with Pfizer at the time - dunno if that's changed or not.) I figured having the 2 different types of technology might make it work at bit better. Now, I kinda wish I could get the Pfizer-BioNTech one as well
Yep. As my kin would say, I got what they give me.
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Afaik, the two mRNA vaccines are similar in their targeting of spike protein epitopes that mixing them will yield little benefit, but equally it won't hurt. The body's immune response naturally diversifies as it strengthens, so one vaccine doesn't fill gaps left by the other; that happens anyway

One major benefit of mRNA vaccines is that the body cannot develop immunity to the vaccine itself, so they can be administered many times. Whereas vaccines that use a harmless virus as a vector to carry the immunity-inducing payload into cells (Johnson & Johnson, AstraZeneca, and others) can diminish in potency if the body identifies the vector as an intruder after multiple doses, causing it to eliminate the vector before it has had time to delivere its payload. That's the immune system's job!

Whether a third dose is part of a primary course or a booster seems to me to be uninteresting semantics. The distinction is that a primary course should have enough doses to build up the desired level of immunity, whereas a booster aims to restore the level of immunity induced by the primary course after the passage of time and the absence of provocation by live virus has led the body to reduce its production of antibodies. So a third dose might still be building things up for a person with a sluggish immune system but only boosting in a young healthy person. But without expensive assays, who knows? – it's cheaper, easier and has no downside to keep jabbing those arms!
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

The C.D.C. recommends that other vaccines be preferred over J.&J.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on Thursday recommended that Covid vaccines other than Johnson & Johnson’s should be preferred, after its advisers cited increasing evidence that the company’s shots can trigger a rare blood clot disorder now linked to dozens of cases and at least nine deaths in the United States in the last year.

The decision adopted a recommendation by an expert panel that effectively discouraged vaccine providers and adults from using Johnson & Johnson’s shot. New data showed that there was a higher risk for the blood clotting condition than previously known. The risk was greatest among women aged 30 to 49, estimated at 1 in 100,000 who had received the company’s shot.

Johnson & Johnson’s vaccine is not being removed from the market. It will remain an option for people who are “unable or unwilling” to receive the more popular shots from Moderna or Pfizer-BioNTech, the agency said.

The recommendationis the latest setback for a vaccine which has largely fallen out of favor in the United States. The company’s vaccine has not fulfilled its early promise as a traditional, one-and-done format that would be easy to deploy in more isolated or rural communities, and among people skittish about receiving two doses.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/12/16 ... blood-clot
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/ng-in ... -19-divide
The emergence of the Omicron variant has made it clear the pandemic won’t be over until it is beaten everywhere.

But there has been a vast and continuing inequality in the global Covid vaccine rollout.

This mirrors other rollouts, such as the vaccine for diphtheria, pertussis (whooping cough), and tetanus, which has a vaccination rate as low as 41% in some countries.

In the case of Covid, inequality has been compounded by wealthy nations buying up doses, and the need to ramp up adult vaccination programs in countries that hadn’t had them before.

This map shows how the Covid vaccine rollout has progressed globally, showing the number of doses administered per 100 people over time.
Lots more at the link.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Notaperson

Post by Notaperson »

Very little data so far, but the Moderna vaccine may be very similar to the Pfizer one with respect to Omicron.
There's more mixed news about the power of vaccines to protect people against the omicron variant — this time about the Moderna vaccine.

A preliminary study made public Wednesday studied blood samples in the lab from 30 people who had gotten two Moderna shots, and it found that the antibodies in their blood are at least about 50 times less effective at neutralizing the omicron variant of the coronavirus.

Previous research had indicated the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine is also less protective against omicron.
:snippity:
But there was good news too. An additional 17 people in the study had received a Moderna booster. And the antibodies in their blood were highly effective at blocking the omicron variant — essentially about as effective as they are at blocking the delta variant....
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-sho ... sters-help

Note: Released on a preprint server but has not yet been reviewed by other scientists
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/12/17 ... -year-olds
A low dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech coronavirus vaccine did not produce a potent immune response in children 2 through 5 years of age, the companies announced on Friday, a discouraging setback that threatens to keep the vaccine from younger children for longer than many parents had hoped. In ongoing clinical trials, the companies tested 3 micrograms of the vaccine — one-tenth of the adult dose — in children 6 months to less than 5 years of age.

After two doses, children between 6 months and 2 years produced an immune response that was comparable to that of people aged 16 to 25 years, the companies said. But children between 2- and 5-years-old did not. The companies said they now would test a third low dose of the coronavirus vaccine in children 6 months to under 5 years of age. But they do not plan to test a higher dose of the vaccine in children between 2 and 5 years of age.

“The goal here is to understand the potential of protection of the third dose,” said Jerica Pitts, a spokeswoman for Pfizer. “We are studying 3 micrograms at this time.” In a conference call with investors and analysts on Friday, Kathrin Jansen, Pfizer’s head of vaccine research, said the company planned to seek authorization for a “three-dose series” in children, instead of the originally planned two doses. If the revised strategy works, “we would have a consistent three-dose vaccine approach for all ages,” she said.

The announcement underscores the emerging idea among many experts that people should be considered “fully vaccinated” only after receiving what are now viewed as booster shots: three doses of the mRNA vaccines made by Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna, or after receiving at least one additional shot following a single dose of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine. Early studies indicate that three doses of the mRNA vaccines may provide a stronger bulwark against the Omicron variant than two doses.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

AndyinPA wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:07 am https://www.theguardian.com/world/ng-in ... -19-divide
The emergence of the Omicron variant has made it clear the pandemic won’t be over until it is beaten everywhere.

But there has been a vast and continuing inequality in the global Covid vaccine rollout.

This mirrors other rollouts, such as the vaccine for diphtheria, pertussis (whooping cough), and tetanus, which has a vaccination rate as low as 41% in some countries.

In the case of Covid, inequality has been compounded by wealthy nations buying up doses, and the need to ramp up adult vaccination programs in countries that hadn’t had them before.

This map shows how the Covid vaccine rollout has progressed globally, showing the number of doses administered per 100 people over time.
Lots more at the link.
That's a statement where I tend to grumble over the take of the author. It assumes that the production capabilities had already been in place. But we have a fresh pandemic where "the wealthy nations" first had to invest huge amounts of money into R&D to get to a viable vaccine. Of course they first batches will be for themselves. Production resources have to be built up. It's not just like mixing a handful of chemicals, it's a biological reaction that turns out the final product, it takes a certain time. With a world wide demand some will have to wait. I understand that currently vaccine production is sold out for around four months. Also too the author ignores that "the wealthy nations" have been donating large quantities. The author also ignores the fact that the current vaccines have a short shelf life, they need special handling like freezing and cooling up to the point of delivery, just in time for the shots to be given. Not all potential recipients have the required infrastructure to handle these needs.

ETA tyops tyops and tyops :doh:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I heard Dr. Fauci say that for every jab given in the US, four are given to other countries.
Sam the Centipede

Re the underperformance of mRNA vaccines in young kids: I wonder if administering half the adult dose is a factor? For drugs with widespread systemic effects, clearly body size can be important in determining dosage

But the mRNA vaccine goes directly into a muscle and acts locally, and dendritic cells migrate from there to start the magic. That very local reaction to the vaccine isn't obviously related to the size of other parts of the body. Maybe the kids just need adult doses?

Of course, immune systems change with after too. And the precautionary principle is especially important with children who are to young to give fully informed consent.
Lani

Post by Lani »

Sam the Centipede wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:46 am Re the underperformance of mRNA vaccines in young kids: I wonder if administering half the adult dose is a factor? For drugs with widespread systemic effects, clearly body size can be important in determining dosage

But the mRNA vaccine goes directly into a muscle and acts locally, and dendritic cells migrate from there to start the magic. That very local reaction to the vaccine isn't obviously related to the size of other parts of the body. Maybe the kids just need adult doses?

Of course, immune systems change with after too. And the precautionary principle is especially important with children who are to young to give fully informed consent.
Children can't consent. The parents have to do it.

Amazing as the vaccines are, we still don't have a lot of covid vaccine data for some, particularly young children. For example, It wasn't known until covid vaccines were available to a larger number of people until some people had anaphylaxis.

For years the DTP vaccine was required for school children, but rare and dangerous reactions piled up. The vaccine was altered and is now the DTaP. Hopefully, that won't happen with the covid vaccines for children. I did learn that Australia has concerns about the J&J due to blood clots, although rare. (Not rare for those who have that reaction.) Countries with healthcare for all have a better data on risks and benefits than the US.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Sam the Centipede

Some information is coming out about the rare blood clotting problems, from The Guardian: Covid: scientists find possible trigger for AstraZeneca jab blood clots. That article says it was published in Science Advances journal (which I haven't looked for) but it seems to build on research published in the New England Journal of Medicine: Pathologic Antibodies to Platelet Factor 4 after ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 Vaccination.

The adenovirus vector in AZ (and probably J&J) can bind to a protein called Platelet Factor 4 in such a way that it causes the body to develop some sort of immune response against PF4 causing blood clotting. For those who don't know: platelets are small minimal blood cells (no nucleus) and they are the main agents of blood clotting (together with some proteins in the blood plasma). Perhaps this is similar to the problems that heparin can induce: heparin is an anticoagulant, often used in the operating theater, but heparin can occasionally combine with other drugs and bind to PF4 causing an undesirable immune response and clotting.

Many modern vaccines are very different from the original "killed" vaccines, which contained lots of bits and pieces of the original virus and possibly culture medium too. The Sinopharm and Sinovac vaccines are both this type, but they're not used in the West. The AstraZeneca and Johnson & Johnson vaccines use a "tame" virus as a vector, but that is still a complex mixture of components with biological activity. In comparison, the mRNA vaccines have very few components other than the mRNA and a liquid medium with some stabilizers, so there are fewer opportunities for them to provoke undesirable reactions.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

:eek:
Most of the World’s Vaccines Likely Won’t Prevent Infection From Omicron
They do seem to offer significant protection against severe illness, but the consequences of rapidly spreading infection worry many public health experts.

By Stephanie Nolen
Dec. 19, 2021

A growing body of preliminary research suggests the Covid vaccines used in most of the world offer almost no defense against becoming infected by the highly contagious Omicron variant.

All vaccines still seem to provide a significant degree of protection against serious illness from Omicron, which is the most crucial goal. But only the Pfizer and Moderna shots, when reinforced by a booster, appear to have initial success at stopping infections, and these vaccines are unavailable in most of the world.

The other shots — including those from AstraZeneca, Johnson & Johnson and vaccines manufactured in China and Russia — do little to nothing to stop the spread of Omicron, early research shows. And because most countries have built their inoculation programs around these vaccines, the gap could have a profound impact on the course of the pandemic.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/19/heal ... icacy.html

Return to “COVID-19 and its several variants”