Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Florida Man

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Re: Florida Man

Post by raison de arizona »

“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Florida Man

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... ief-scheme
Florida pastor and son arrested in alleged $8m Covid relief fraud scheme
Christian missionaries who ran a faith-based organization allegedly used federal funds to buy a multi-million-dollar home

Evan and Joshua Edwards of Orlando were arrested on Wednesday, alleged to have used such funds for luxury expenses including a multi-million-dollar house near Walt Disney World.

The father and son, both from Canada, face charges including conspiracy to commit bank fraud, the Daytona Beach News-Journal reported.

The Edwards are Christian missionaries who ran a faith-based organization, Aslan International Ministry, with the expressed purpose of communicating “Christian love in doctrine and service to the poor”.

Federal prosecutors now allege that beginning in April 2020, the Edwards family committed fraud by submitting a fraudulent loan application to the Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) which said the family ministry had 486 employees and a monthly payroll of $2.7m.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Florida Man

Post by RTH10260 »

on the lighter side

neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Florida Man

Post by neonzx »

RTH10260 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:15 pm on the lighter side

https://youtu.be/VOxCU3wY3kA
It is not exactly "lighter side" -- if someone is a resident living in Florida, the open records laws are there. For me, as a landlord, it is very convenient for screening. I can be an asshole if I see a threat.
raison de arizona

Florida Man

92585853-B7EC-465F-8A69-43E890B00C76.png
92585853-B7EC-465F-8A69-43E890B00C76.png (209.42 KiB) Viewed 1089 times
0227E4B0-85A1-41E7-B7CA-FD8CEC41D780.png
0227E4B0-85A1-41E7-B7CA-FD8CEC41D780.png (355.65 KiB) Viewed 1089 times
ED8FA796-3F84-4EFD-A366-D3B2B5F5473B.png
ED8FA796-3F84-4EFD-A366-D3B2B5F5473B.png (292.78 KiB) Viewed 1089 times
3F1046F8-27B3-492D-B83F-3233020DCFE5.png
3F1046F8-27B3-492D-B83F-3233020DCFE5.png (463.89 KiB) Viewed 1089 times
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

Florida Man

The Daily Show's take on the controversy.
Dr. Ken

Florida Man

Post by Dr. Ken »

ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Florida Man

Post by RTH10260 »

Did not read the law text, but did they remember to define "drag" dressing style?
sugar magnolia

Florida Man

Post by sugar magnolia »

Are women dressed as men covered under the law just as men dressed as women are? Do I have to get rid of all my flannels with the buttons on the wrong side?
Sam the Centipede

Florida Man

Post by Sam the Centipede »

sugar magnolia wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:51 am Are women dressed as men covered under the law just as men dressed as women are? Do I have to get rid of all my flannels with the buttons on the wrong side?
You're probably ok if you are walking two paces behind your male guardian/partner/owner.
pipistrelle

Florida Man

Post by pipistrelle »

Sam the Centipede wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:17 am
sugar magnolia wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:51 am Are women dressed as men covered under the law just as men dressed as women are? Do I have to get rid of all my flannels with the buttons on the wrong side?
You're probably ok if you are walking two paces behind your male guardian/partner/owner.
FIFY-that would imply equality.
neonzx

Florida Man

Post by neonzx »

Gosh, I don't know. Would that be a dykish look or drag? And why are women's buttons on the wrong side? :? These are questions I need answered.
Azastan
Verified:

Florida Man

Post by Azastan »

neonzx wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:11 am And why are women's buttons on the wrong side? These are questions I need answered.
it comes from a time when women who had buttons, hooks, and stays on their outfits were dressed by maids. It was easier for maids (who were mostly righthanded) to fasten.
noblepa

Florida Man

Post by noblepa »

What about the restaurants where the female wait staff wear men's style white dress shirts and long neckties? Is that considered drag?
Dr. Ken

Florida Man

Post by Dr. Ken »

It is so broad that this would include performances of Rocky Horror, Twelfth Night, As You like it, Hairspray, Chicago, Rent, Peter Pan, etc
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Florida Man

Post by Slim Cognito »

What if I attend Pride events dressed as a 90s hipster dude? Cuz I think I will.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
neonzx

Florida Man

Post by neonzx »

Dr. Ken wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:34 am It is so broad that this would include performances of Rocky Horror, Twelfth Night, As You like it, Hairspray, Chicago, Rent, Peter Pan, etc
Yeah- but this is Floriduh. They don't like that artsie stuff -- too cultured. Keep that stuff over in the So. California country.
Gregg

Florida Man

Post by Gregg »

neonzx wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:11 am
Gosh, I don't know. Would that be a dykish look or drag? And why are women's buttons on the wrong side? :? These are questions I need answered.
Women's buttons are on the wrong side because when buttons first came into use, Ladies who could afford clothes with buttons could also afford a peasant to help dress them, so the buttons were made to be easy for said peasant to fix you up.

Keeper of Useless Trivia for the win!
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Gregg

Florida Man

Post by Gregg »

Dr. Ken wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:34 am It is so broad that this would include performances of Rocky Horror, Twelfth Night, As You like it, Hairspray, Chicago, Rent, Peter Pan, etc
I think the only safe thing to do for anyone who was born with a uterus is to dress like Casey, including the elbow length gloves, al all time.

Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
neonzx

Florida Man

Post by neonzx »

What century did Ron teleport Casey in from? Did someone leave the keys to our Tardis laying around again.....?
jemcanada2

Florida Man

Post by jemcanada2 »

And no Kinky Boots! I just saw a production of Kinky Boots and had my photo taken with the drag queen after.

Maybe next time tfg does a speech at Mar-a-Lago, he’ll get arrested. Does all that hair, make up, girdle, and heels count as drag? :lol: :lol:
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Florida Man

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

This could explain a lot!

https://apnews.com/article/epa-lead-pip ... 5143166e8e
In a first, EPA survey puts a number on lead pipes around US

Some 9.2 million lead pipes carry water into homes across the U.S., with more in Florida than any other state, according to a new Environmental Protection Agency survey that will dictate how billions of dollars to find and replace those pipes are spent.

The survey released Tuesday was the first time the agency asked about lead pipes and gave the best count yet of how many are underground. Florida, with an estimated 1.16 million pipes, was a surprise to one expert. Industrial states like Ohio, Michigan and Pennsylvania are more typically associated with extensive lead pipe issues.

Illinois ranked second in Tuesday’s survey, with 1.04 million lead pipes, followed by Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas and New York.

The agency’s drinking water infrastructure survey will be used to steer billions of dollars from the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law to water infrastructure upgrades like finding and removing lead pipes in states that need it most. Previously, a state’s share of lead pipe funds was based on its general infrastructure need and didn’t consider how many lead pipes the state had.

Olson said the Florida number is puzzling because lead pipes were most frequently installed in the decades before Florida’s population rapidly grew.

“We look forward to hearing an explanation,” Olson said.

The EPA said it extrapolated from water providers’ responses to come up with the state-level estimates. The location of many lead pipes are still unknown and the EPA said states like Florida had a lot of water lines that were either made of an unknown material or lead.

A representative from the Florida Department of Environmental Protection did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Azastan
Verified:

Florida Man

Post by Azastan »

Gregg wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:44 pm
neonzx wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:11 am
Women's buttons are on the wrong side because when buttons first came into use, Ladies who could afford clothes with buttons could also afford a peasant to help dress them, so the buttons were made to be easy for said peasant to fix you up.

Keeper of Useless Trivia for the win!
Slowpoke.

Check post at 5.29 am.
raison de arizona

Florida Man

The whole FL GOP are Florida Mans.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Florida Man

Post by Slim Cognito »

Too late, too stoned, not linking, but I've read so many local articles lately about people who recently moved here turning around and getting the heck outta Dodge, errrrr, Floriduh. The water is disgusting, the prices are outrageous and DuhSantis is a freakin' nightmare. Apparently, home prices are starting to drop as the real estate market is slowing way down. Maybe that's the case all over, but it's definitely happening here. (Bestie is a realtor and she's had open houses recently where not one person showed.)

One idiot talked up the 2.5% ish unemployment rate here as proof that DuhSantis is superman. It just seems to me that when unemployment is that low, that means you have a big labor shortage, meaning stuff is harder to obtain and what you can get your mitts on is priced to refect that whole supply/demand thing. Am I wrong?

And I am so sick of comfortably retired white people telling me, "Nobody wants to work anymore." So get a fucking job, deadbeat! Even better, get two!!! I haven't seen a shop window without a Help Wanted sign in I don't know how long.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”