Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Florida Man

Volkonski
Verified:

Florida Man

Post by Volkonski »

Billy Corben
@BillyCorben
Florida man points loaded shotgun at neighbor for flying Biden flag, commands his collie mix dog to “kill” deputies #BecauseFlorida: https://nbc-2.com/news/crime/2021/02/23 ... uties/amp/ h/t
@craigtimes
Edward Lacourse, 75, was arrested on Monday night and faces an aggravated assault with a weapon charge, deputies with the Lee County Sheriff’s Office said.

Neighbors told deputies that Lacourse was upset about a “Biden Flag” on their property and started verbally assaulting them. The victims said they had never had a conversation with Lacourse in the 18 years that they have lived there.

When one of the victims went inside to call 911, Lacourse pointed a long gun at the other victim, deputies said.

After the dispute, deputies arrived to 13505 Marquette Boulevard in Fort Myers and knocked on Lacourse’s door. He opened his door and commanded his collie mix dog to “kill,” deputies said.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Re: Florida Man

Post by Volkonski »

Miami Beach officials announce 8 p.m. curfew, causeway closures to control spring break crowd

https://www.local10.com/news/local/2021 ... eak-crowd/
The city of Miami Beach will impose a curfew starting Saturday night for its entertainment district and also close three causeways leading into the city, officials announced at a press conference outside Miami Beach City Hall.

The measures are being put into place as an effort to control large crowds that have gathered during spring break.

The curfew in the city’s entertainment district will begin at 8 p.m. Saturday. Julia Tuttle and Venetian causeways eastbound as well as Macarthur Causeway eastbound will also be closing starting Saturday night from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. As of now, both measures will be in place for 72 hours, according to Miami Beach Mayor Dan Gelber.

:snippity:

Included in the curfew will be all restaurants and bars that must also close no later than 8 p.m. in the entertainment district, according to Interim City Manager Raul J. Aguila. Restaurants with outdoor dining should be closed by 7 p.m., Aguila said.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Miami Beach declares state of emergency over spring break crowds

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/mi ... s-n1261673

Unruly Spring Breakers Force Popular Clevelander Hotel Restaurant To Temporarily Close

https://miami.cbslocal.com/2021/03/19/u ... ily-close/
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

I have not spent time in South Beach since right after hurricane Andrew in '92 and even then it was just one big party zone. (And I wasn't there to party, but to assist in recovery efforts)
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

SWAT Breaks Up Massive Crowds Defying Curfew in Miami Beach

https://www.thedailybeast.com/miami-bea ... ce=Weekend
SWAT teams moved in to disperse massive crowds of spring breakers who stayed out past an 8 p.m. curfew in Miami Beach on Saturday night, firing pepper balls and sparking a stampede as people fled.

Sirens and shouting filled the air as police sought to force party-goers to leave the area. On Ocean Drive in South Beach, police rolled in about a half hour after curfew to find one huge street party.

:snippity:

The crowds would respond to the interruption by simply moving to the next block before resuming partying. At one point, a man began making it rain dollar bills, sending party goers scrambling for the cash. Then came the pop, pop, pop of the pepper balls being deployed, creating a panic and sending people scattering. Several people could be seen getting knocked over amid the mayhem. One young man fell to the ground, gripping a Hennessy bottle that he deftly kept from breaking.

It wasn’t immediately clear if anyone was injured in the chaotic scene. The crowd had thinned out significantly by around midnight. Police did not immediately disclose the number of arrests made throughout the evening, if any.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Volkonski wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:46 am
One young man fell to the ground, gripping a Hennessy bottle that he deftly kept from breaking.
A true professional there... :bar:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Frater I*I wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:59 am
Volkonski wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:46 am
One young man fell to the ground, gripping a Hennessy bottle that he deftly kept from breaking.
A true professional there... :bar:
You know how much a bottle of Hennessy costs? Bro had to protect that.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

direct descendant of Hunter Thompson.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Police chief says Miami Beach partying “couldn’t go on any longer”

https://www.kxii.com/2021/03/21/miami-s ... ntent=kxii
Pointing to over 1,000 arrests in one of the nation’s top party spots, Miami Beach officials warned Sunday that the unruly spring break crowd gathering by the thousands, fighting in the streets, destroying restaurant property and refusing to wear masks has become a serious threat to public safety.

During a last-minute meeting Sunday, city officials voted to extend a highly unusual 8 p.m. curfew for another week along famed South Beach, with the possibility of extending it well into April if needed, and stressed this isn’t the typical spring break crowd. They said it’s not college students, but adults looking to let loose in one of the few states fully open during the pandemic.

Law enforcement officers from at least four other agencies, along with SWAT teams, were added to help contain the raucous crowds, but it wasn’t enough. After days of partying, including several confrontations with police, Miami Beach officials enacted a highly unorthodox curfew Saturday from 8 p.m. until 6 a.m., forcing restaurants to stop outdoor seating entirely during the three-day emergency period, and encouraging local businesses to voluntarily shut down.

More than half of the more than 1,000 arrests were from out of state, said City Manager Raul Aguila, adding many are coming “to engage in lawlessness and an anything goes party attitude.” He also noted that the crowds weren’t eating at restaurants or patronizing businesses generating badly needed tourism dollars, but merely congregating by the thousands in the street.
filly

Post by filly »

That's right. Those partiers aren't buying $20 cocktails in South Beach. I suspect they are keeping the paying customers far away. More destruction spurred on by Ron DeSantis.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

filly wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:25 pm That's right. Those partiers aren't buying $20 cocktails in South Beach. I suspect they are keeping the paying customers far away. More destruction spurred on by Ron DeSantis.
The Wild One comes to mind.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

The next episode of Florida Man involves beer, a high speed chase, a pit move, and five wrecked cruisers. Carry on.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

The mug shot is a PSA against meth use.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

And Chins.
Hic sunt dracones
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Well, I don't need another cup of coffee.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

bill_g wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:41 am The next episode of Florida Man involves beer, a high speed chase, a pit move, and five wrecked cruisers. Carry on.
I love it at the end, the cops were tired of fooling around. They didn't just box him in, so he could not do a rabbit again, one rammed him from the rear, another from the front and one from the side.

If the guy ever gets out of jail, his car, which was pretty nice to begin with, probably has in excess of $20,000 in damage to fix. Plus, if he financed it, he still has to make the payments. I wonder if his insurance (assuming he has any) will pay for damage incurred while running from the police. Although at the end it said one of the charges was driving with an expired license. I don't know about FL, but here in OH, my insurance won't cover me if I'm driving without a valid license.

He would have been so much better off had he just stopped and accepted the ticket for having an open container of alcohol in the car. Even a DUI charge would probably have been less costly.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

bill_g wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:41 am The next episode of Florida Man involves beer, a high speed chase, a pit move, and five wrecked cruisers. Carry on.

https://youtu.be/9KO7IaGOnWQ
Woah, that's crazy. In my FL county, that high speed pursuit would have ended once they entered the residential neighborhood. His primary charges were VOP and DUI. Not worth the risk to other civilians while doing that pursuit. They'd already tagged the vehicle -- where was he going to go?
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

neonzx wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:37 pmThey'd already tagged the vehicle -- where was he going to go?
Yeah, you may outrun Ford or Dodge, but you can't outrun Motorola.
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.

Post by zekeb »

Every time a cruiser bumped into the SUV someone's cash register went ka ching at taxpayer expense. Box the SUV In and if it strikes a cruiser the repairs are at the perp's insurance company's expense.
Il factotum
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

zekeb wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:18 pm Every time a cruiser bumped into the SUV someone's cash register went ka ching at taxpayer expense. Box the SUV In and if it strikes a cruiser the repairs are at the perp's insurance company's expense.
I have a hunch there is no perp's insurance company.
101010 :towel:
northland10

Post by northland10 »

For completeness, he was also cited for:

1. Littering (tossing the beer out the window).
2. Open container (probably the same beer, or maybe he cracked open a new one after tossing his former one).
3. Failure to stop at a stop sign
4. Speeding in a construction zone.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

noblepa wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:13 pm
neonzx wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:37 pmThey'd already tagged the vehicle -- where was he going to go?
Yeah, you may outrun Ford or Dodge, but you can't outrun Motorola.
Or a fully equipped LE helicopter, which is what we use and can track suspects anywhere.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

zekeb wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:18 pm Every time a cruiser bumped into the SUV someone's cash register went ka ching at taxpayer expense. Box the SUV In and if it strikes a cruiser the repairs are at the perp's insurance company's expense.
Unlikely. Read how the policies are written.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

neonzx wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:27 pm
Unlikely. Read how the policies are written.
Most every LE agency is self-insured so the cars are just hauled off to the garage to be repaired. To get any money out of anyone usually requires someone to sue. Based on my knowledge. YMMV.
northland10

Post by northland10 »

I did some checking as a probation violation was mentioned. In 2019, he was arrested for DUI over .15 first offense, Felony fleeing and alluding, and resisting law enforcement, no violence (note, he did have dui alcohol or drugs first offense in 2009). For the 2019 case, he was given time served and 3 year probation along with a list of conditions including (ignoring the standard drug testing, no alcohol, etc).

- Community Service 50 hours
- DUI Advanced school
- 6 months interlock (after the time passes for vehicle impound)
- License suspended one year
- Court does not object to the issuance of the business only license
- May apply for early termination.

So, probation started in December 2019. He completed his community service and advanced school. In January, he made a pro se motion for early termination. The probation officer attested that he has complete the mentioned requirements and has done well, but since he has not completed half of his probation period yet, he would leave it up to the court's judgment.

In March, the court scheduled a hearing on the motion for April 20, 2021. Um... that hearing may not go as well as the offender had hoped.

Almost home free and tossed it all out the window, along with his beer.
Screenshot 2021-04-08 183200.jpg
Screenshot 2021-04-08 183200.jpg (198.44 KiB) Viewed 5848 times

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”