Post by sad-cafe »

what all is entailed?

lengths of sessions

positions? I have some...........

Pay?
Lani

I want to run for my Ks state representative

Post by Lani »

Lot of work, lot of money, lot of paperwork. Check out your Office of Elections.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
New Turtle

Post by New Turtle »

In general, you want to get all the important dates Iike filing deadlines, etc. Probably you need to get a petition with a few hundred or few thousand signatures from the area you would represent. On your calendar, add dates for public functions like county fairs, etc. where you can meet people and ask for their votes. The rest of the time, plan out routes to go door knocking and make lots of phone calls.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Check out She Should Run.
Here is the starter kit.
https://sheshouldrun.org/starter-kit/

Each state has different filing times. Here is the Progressive Arkansas Women PAC filing info.

https://progressivearwomen.org/run-sister-run/
Believe it or not, the 2024 election cycle is already gearing up. We’re excited to support progressive women candidates across Arkansas who are committed to improving our state.

The Running for Public Office handbook published by the State Board of Election Commissioner provides more in-depth information. Please read it carefully.

IMPORTANT: FILING IS EARLY!
The dates for partisan candidate filing during the 2024 election cycle are from November 7 to November 14, 2023. You are allowed to file your candidacy between noon on Monday, November 7 and noon on Monday, November 14. To obtain more details and candidate filing forms, please visit the Arkansas Secretary of State online.

WHERE TO FILE
Partisan candidates for state and federal office file first with the state political party (in Little Rock) to pay filing fees, and fill out required forms (check with the state party about hours), and then with the Secretary of State at the State Capitol.

Non-partisan Judicial candidates file with the Secretary of State at the State Capitol during the filing period.

Partisan candidates for county offices file first with their political county committee to pay filing fees (check with the county committee about hours), fill out forms, and then with the County Clerk.

GET ENDORSED
Progressive Arkansas Women PAC (PAWPAC) financially supports and endorses progressive women running for office in Arkansas. If you are running for a state or local office in Arkansas in 2024, we can help. Tell us more about yourself and your campaign.

Click here to download the Official PAWPAC Campaign Toolkit.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

You go, girl!
:bighug:
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Tiredretiredlawyer

The PAWPAC motto is "Run, Sister, Run!"
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Tiredretiredlawyer

Emily's List is a nationwide PAC so a good source of campaign money. https://emilyslist.org/

EmergeAmerica trains potential candidates.
https://emergeamerica.org/

The PAWPAC Toolkit has a list of other money supplying organizations.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Thank you for considering it Sad Cafe. We need capable people in these positions. I can say from my experience it's a job for extroverts. In the late 90's through most of W's term I went from the County Parks Board to the City Council to the County Land Use Planning Board to Governor's Prison Liason ex officio.

These were all volunteer unpaid positions that paid twice as much in retirement. However, they came with multiple benefits including threatening phone calls at home, non-stop interruptions at the grocery or diner, and numerous requests for interview by news media who would later mischaracterize our discussions. Other than that, it was a blast.

It's not something for the demure, and you need a narcissistic streak to stay in the game. Self confidence is a must. Be ready to fend off demands by party climbers seeking supporters, and party leaders trying to whip members to step to their beat. You'll be told what to think and what to say. And if you take the indy route, you'll enjoy a purgatory of one with zero support.

But, that's my experience. YMMV. And I wish you the best of luck.
Lani

Post by Lani »

Great information!
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
jez
Verified: ✅ Medicated

Post by jez »

bill_g wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:43 am
It's not something for the demure, and you need a narcissistic streak to stay in the game. Self confidence is a must. Be ready to fend off demands by party climbers seeking supporters, and party leaders trying to whip members to step to their beat. You'll be told what to think and what to say. And if you take the indy route, you'll enjoy a purgatory of one with zero support.
And that there is one of the many many reasons I will not run for any office. I do my support in the background, but I'm generally an introvert that really dislikes humans in general (present company excepted, of course). And with my mental health background? Yeah, total gossip fodder.

But Sad-Cafe, you go for it! If it's something you can do, I will help if I can.
“What is better ? to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort ?”

~Paarthurnax

Return to “Current Politics”