No chairs, though.
IMG_9913.jpeg
IMG_9913.jpeg (298.58 KiB) Viewed 2719 times
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Thrifting

Post by keith »

Cheap. Mid century stuff like that is really popular right now. Especially in good shape like that one, and a fairly rare color. It would probably go for 400 in Oz and would not be in a thrift shop, but an interiors shop in a newly gentrified suburb full of young hipsters.
If they tell you I fell off the bed and hung myself, I didn't.
Chilidog

Thrifting

Post by Chilidog »

I know that a pair of there recently sold at auction for twice what they are asking.
IMG_9903.jpeg
IMG_9903.jpeg (289.02 KiB) Viewed 2708 times
I don't know why that posted twice
Attachments
IMG_9903.jpeg
IMG_9903.jpeg (289.01 KiB) Viewed 2708 times
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Thrifting

Post by Slim Cognito »

Oh man! I love that stuff. I have a great collection of vintage tiki mugs...and a few reproductions.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Patagoniagirl

Thrifting

Post by Patagoniagirl »

Wow! I'm gonna be rich!
sugar magnolia

Thrifting

Post by sugar magnolia »

I had one of those tables (round) with 4 chairs. Turquoise, original. in perfect condition. I paid $25 for it at a Habitat ReStore in NOLA. Had to take the legs off the table and Tetris the chairs in the truck to get it back to Jackson, but I used and loved it at the studio for several years before selling it for $200.
John Thomas8

Thrifting

Post by John Thomas8 »

There's some good thrift stores around here (Central North Carolina), and the Mrs enjoys going to estate sales, another excellent source of reasonable finds.
johnpcapitalist
Verified: ✅ Totally legit!

Thrifting

Post by johnpcapitalist »

My #1 thrifting story:

Goodwill sold me a curly maple genuine Stickley slatted Prairie chair (not vintage, made 1992) with aniline-tanned leather cushions for $50. Don't know how much it cost new, but it is well into the four digits.

SWMBO was out shopping one day and called me from Goodwill. She said "I just texted you a picture of a chair that you might be interested in." I looked at it, and it was obviously a genuine Stickley. I told her, "I'm on my way. Sit in that chair and do not get out of it for any reason unless the building is on fire." When I got there, I verified that it was indeed a genuine Stickley, and snagged it. My better half reported that there were several people looking at it intently in the 10 minutes it took me to get there, but she scared them away. Score!
20230505_132241.jpg
20230505_132241.jpg (450.17 KiB) Viewed 2558 times
Yes, I did post this a few months ago at: viewtopic.php?p=191459
johnpcapitalist

Thrifting

Too, also, there are good web sites to find higher-quality estate sales, including:
  • Estatesales.net: Seems to be a listing service for both yard/garage sales and estate auction sites. More or less nationwide coverage focused on urban areas.
  • Auctionninja.com: Auction site mostly with sales in the Northeast but also some in Colorado, Texas and West Coast. Some real deals can be found here, but there is also a lot of junk.
  • LiveAuctioneers.com: high end stuff that can be extremely expensive but there are plenty of vendors with stuff below $100. I have been buying lots of decorative items for my house on this site.
This is something of a sport. My recent scores from the above sites include:
  • A Burdick Group desk (by Herman Miller) for $300. Typical price in this configuration is $6,000 to $7,500, and the full wraparounds often go for $15,000 and up. That's a conceptually important piece of modern office furniture design that I've wanted for decades. I think it went cheap because it is hard to move and was located in a small town, which wouldn't justify a trip for a dealer to come all the way out to the sticks to pick it up.
  • Weber Genesis GS4 grill with side burner, 3 years old, with side burner, tools, cover and three propane tanks: $400. New with accessories today, ~$1,700.
  • Hobie two-seater sit-on-top kayak with paddles and life jacket, 20 years old, $200.
  • New Pakistani Bokhara rug, 8 x 11, $50.
  • Gorgeous new Kazakh rug for the office, 10 x 14, $150. The plastic chair mats to prevent my desk chairs from chewing it up cost more (my last rug got trashed in a year but fortunately it was machine made so I'm not crying).
Key thing I've discovered with these auction sites is to be patient and understand the state of the local market. If you buy the first thing you see that looks like it meets your needs, you'll probably overpay significantly. I bought a crappy old Weber for cheap off of Facebook Marketplace and it never worked right, so I sold it for what I paid for it and bought the new BBQ last week.

Unless it is something highly specific and likely to be unique, I'll wait for several more common items of a given type (freezers, snow blowers, etc.) to cross so I know what the price levels are going to be. There is a staggering amount of Lladro figurines, Waterford crystal, silver plate, sofas and artwork.

My partner and I have both accomplished major upgrades to our houses in the last year via auction sites -- she completely redid her family room and office, and I furnished a living room, dining room, library and upgraded most of my office (which is much larger in my new house) for pennies on the dollar. It's been a lot of fun and we're both pretty happy with the result.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Thrifting

Post by Phoenix520 »

My favorite auction site was EBTH.COM (Everything But The House). They used to operate in several major metropolitan areas but they flew too high too fast. They’ve pulled their tentacles in and now only have a physical presence in OH and maybe Illinois.

Also like the franchise Caring Transitions (CTBids.com). They’re growing, have people all over. Downsizing and estate.

For jewelry I like Catawiki. Most of the items are from Europe or the Near East. Lots of antiques and Amber, among other things.
sugar magnolia

Thrifting

Post by sugar magnolia »

My 2 best scores were probably the pair of green chairs that are worth about $800 each. I paid $10 at the Habitat ReStore, and the dozen Italian salad plates that I bought because I loved the whimsical little people on them. $5 for the lot. Depending on which picture is on it, they go for anywhere between $75-$150 each.

My husband sits in one of the green chairs to watch tv and the grandbaby eats scrambled eggs off the plates.
keith

Thrifting

Post by keith »

I think my best discovery at an opshop (as they are called in Oz) was a Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs pressing of Earl Kluggs "Night Moves".

When I found it it was a lonely disc in with no inner protective jackets. But both disc and cover were in excellent condition. I bought a throwaway record to use its inner sleeve to protect the Klugh till I got home. I have lots of MFSL inner sleeves, and a spare MFSL cardboard extra cover. So most of the Genuine MFSL packaging is there but I can't claim near mint for the package, though I feel justified in claiming near mint for the disk media.

So media = VG+ maybe NM
Package = VG (some advertising may be missing)

Cost me 5 dollars, and people are asking $200 or more for VG copies.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Thrifting

Post by Slim Cognito »

Here's one of my most treasured possessions, a little piggy butter dish. How adorable is this guy?
little piggy.jpg
little piggy.jpg (134.15 KiB) Viewed 2456 times
(No, nobody gets to use him for butter. He's a star.)

ImageImageImage x4
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Thrifting

Post by Slim Cognito »

I also started collecting breweriana for our tiki bar and ended up addicted. I first ran across the Scotsman utensil holder*, then found the liquor decanter somewhere else and then, about a year ago, ran across the matching lamp at an antique store. The two Scotsman themed ashtrays (?) were found at antique shops, not thrift stores. :(

If you look above the Scotsman, you'll see three of my tiki mugs, the piranha and skull are contemporary but the lavender guy is vintage, from a thrift store in Lees Summit MO. They had a set of six in different styles and colors. I miss that place so much. They had the best stuff, lots of mid century modern. I also have a ship captain lamp made from a liquor decanter bought from that same shop and I paid a whopping $2. (They apparently thought it was too tacky for anyone to buy).

The LS thrift shop benefited the local Social Services office. I spent so much time thrifting there, I eventually started volunteering at the office, packing bags of food for those in need. They usually used people working off community service so when I was done for the day (my decision) they always asked for my card for them to sign off. I just came and went as I pleased, worked great for everybody.

*Those are vintage swizzle sticks courtesy of my late father-in-law.
Attachments
bar stuff.jpg
bar stuff.jpg (99.73 KiB) Viewed 2451 times

ImageImageImage x4
johnpcapitalist

Thrifting

Slim Cognito wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:02 am I also started collecting breweriana for our tiki bar and ended up addicted.
:snippity:
If you look above the Scotsman, you'll see three of my tiki mugs [...]
Very cool. I particularly like the piranha, which I haven't seen before.

I have long been fascinated by tiki culture of the 1950s. I've eaten at the Tonga Room in the Fairmont Hotel in San Francisco several times. I've gotten several books on 50's tiki artifacts and sometimes dream of having a restored 1950s Palm Springs weekend home where I would have a tiki bar and serve my guests cocktails while wearing a brocade smoking jacket. Collecting even one tiki mug could open the floodgates for me to yet another obsession, so I have avoided it studiously.

Of course, there wouldn't be much point because a) I don't have a restored 1950s Palm Springs modern house, and b) I don't drink, so I don't know how to make any cocktails. Reality obtrudes on the fantasy... Sigh...
Volkonski
Verified:

Thrifting

Post by Volkonski »

Mrs.V and her cousin from the DC area who has a cottage on the Circle are off hitting thrift stores today.

First stop is the Eastern Long Island Hospital Thrift Store in Greenport. That choice probably has a lot to do with their desire to get lunch at one of Greenport's many fine restaurants. ;)

Will not be surprised if they also get to the East End Hospice Thrift Shop in West Hampton.

Meanwhile I wait for our handyman who stained most of our deck yesterday and is coming today to finish the job.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Thrifting

Post by northland10 »

johnpcapitalist wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:45 am
Slim Cognito wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:02 am I also started collecting breweriana for our tiki bar and ended up addicted.

I have long been fascinated by tiki culture of the 1950s. I've eaten at the Tonga Room in the Fairmont Hotel in San Francisco several times.
Where I grew up we had a restaurant called Tur Mai Kai. I only ate there once as the Tiki place and I was only 9 or 10ish so I don't remember much. I remember it more as a Chinese place called Peking Palace in the 80s.

The whole Tiki thing must be of interest to folks. There is a bbs with 3 pages of posts on Tur Mai Kai. It is interesting to me as I grew up seeing that place on the main drag.

https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic_id=22069
101010 :towel:
Phoenix520
Verified:

Thrifting

Post by Phoenix520 »

I grew up in Sacramento. My dad travelled a lot for work and it was as a family affair to get him to the plane on time. My favorite days were when we stopped at a little strip mall near the airport called The Lanai. There was a fountain in the tropical courtyard and tiki decor everywhere. We ate at the
Mexican restaurant and visited the little branch library.

My little brother, 5 at the time, was terrified of the tiki gods. 😁
keith

Thrifting

Post by keith »

northland10 wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 2:24 pm
johnpcapitalist wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:45 am

I have long been fascinated by tiki culture of the 1950s. I've eaten at the Tonga Room in the Fairmont Hotel in San Francisco several times.
Where I grew up we had a restaurant called Tur Mai Kai. I only ate there once as the Tiki place and I was only 9 or 10ish so I don't remember much. I remember it more as a Chinese place called Peking Palace in the 80s.

The whole Tiki thing must be of interest to folks. There is a bbs with 3 pages of posts on Tur Mai Kai. It is interesting to me as I grew up seeing that place on the main drag.

https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic_id=22069
The are several faceache pages dedicates to the Tiki aesthetic, and exotica music in general.
Volkonski
Verified:

Thrifting

Post by Volkonski »

Mrs.V and her cousin spent the morning at the local library's Yellow Barn which is where they sell excess books at give away prices. The barn building was the carriage house of the mansion that once occupied the library site before the owners donated it for use as a library.

Mrs. V found a copy of a book she once paid $50 for for $1. So now she has two copies.

Mrs. V and cousin are back now and having lunch before they head out for another afternoon of thrift store shopping. After all, it is rainy today so what else would they do? ;)
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Thrifting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

When The Kid was in college about 10 years ago, he was on the college’s disc (Frisbee) team. On various occasions the teams would dress up, like for Halloween. They also had cross dressing events. (Don’t tell Ron De Santis.) They shopped in the Goodwill and Salvation Army Thrift stores.

I came home one day and noticed a cute dress hanging in the breakfast area. My sister was there visiting my mom who was living with us at the time. I felt like I was in Three Bears Bizarro. The dress wasn’t mine because it was too big. The dress wasn’t my sister’s because it was too small. It wasn’t my mother’s because it was too young looking.

Then The Kid came into the room where were discussing this and I asked him if it was his. It was! He answered calmly and straightforward. We all broke out in laughter! He then explained it was for the disc team events and showed pictures. He looked good in that dress!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Thrifting

Post by AndyinPA »

I like thrifting, but I'm finding myself on the opposite side now. I'm the one getting rid of stuff, and I'm aware of the value of most of it. There's a real assortment of stuff, from things that have only sentimental value to Baccarat. It makes the job harder. No, I'm not getting rid of everything by a long shot, but it's confusing. I have a Paul Gauguin death mask that my husband kept on his dresser. I don't like it. I thought I would give it to Goodwill. In good condition, it's worth $300, I found. Mine's in perfect condition. But I have to find a buyer to get that kind of money. I can see why some really good stuff ends up in thrift shops. Everthing's so overwhelming these days.

I found a designer consignment shop recently. Their things are lovely. I bought a $130 Pacsafe travel bag, unused, for $30. I bought two tops, one DKNY, and another one by a small design shop in LA. The two tops were about $35 together. I don't think it's a true antique thrift shop in the sense of everything has to be newer than three years old in clothing, but such gorgeous stuff. I'm also selling stuff through them.

Earlier today, I had a man out from Jurassic Junk. After we get back from Alaska, they are coming with an empty truck. He expects to fill it. There will also be a Round 2. :roll:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Thrifting

Post by RTH10260 »

AndyinPA wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 2:27 pm I like thrifting, but I'm finding myself on the opposite side now. I'm the one getting rid of stuff, and I'm aware of the value of most of it. There's a real assortment of stuff, from things that have only sentimental value to Baccarat. It makes the job harder. No, I'm not getting rid of everything by a long shot, but it's confusing. I have a Paul Gauguin death mask that my husband kept on his dresser. I don't like it. I thought I would give it to Goodwill. In good condition, it's worth $300, I found. Mine's in perfect condition. But I have to find a buyer to get that kind of money. I can see why some really good stuff ends up in thrift shops. Everthing's so overwhelming these days.

I found a designer consignment shop recently. Their things are lovely. I bought a $130 Pacsafe travel bag, unused, for $30. I bought two tops, one DKNY, and another one by a small design shop in LA. The two tops were about $35 together. I don't think it's a true antique thrift shop in the sense of everything has to be newer than three years old in clothing, but such gorgeous stuff. I'm also selling stuff through them.

Earlier today, I had a man out from Jurassic Junk. After we get back from Alaska, they are coming with an empty truck. He expects to fill it. There will also be a Round 2. :roll:
That's an item that would sell on Ebay, maybe not immediatly cause the potential buyers are rare. For first listing, start with the price it's worth and let the lions into the amphitheater ...
sugar magnolia

Thrifting

Post by sugar magnolia »

Our Goodwill finally wised up and got a couple of employees who research the donations to all the local stores and pull out the good stuff to be sold at the Goodwill Select store in a "nicer" part of town across the highway.They also raised their prices on stuff at the regular store so I don't shop there much anymore.

The best ones around here are the church shops and the shops that support specific ministries. I spent $17 yesterday at the sober living for women charity shop and brought home 2 Ann Taylor Loft linen shirts for me, 2 kid's bathing suits, 8 dresses for the girlbabies, 2 books for my husband, 4 DVDs and a handful of dog toys. All in pristine condition. The silk ties at Goodwill have gone up to $5 each (Jerry Garcia are $10) and the sober living shop is right across the street and I don't even have to make a left turn to get to it!
AndyinPA
Verified:

Thrifting

Post by AndyinPA »

I've heard that most Goodwill stores have upped their prices. My husband had lots of Jerry Garcia ties, but my son took all of them. He had a lovely collection of silk ties (bought by me). ;)

The designer consignment shop is in an upscale area, so even if I don't buy anything, I love just browsing. TBH, I don't need much in new clothes. I tend to buy classic and keep almost forever. I know I have clothes in my closet that are older than 25 years.

And, yeah, I've heard both eBay and Facebook Market Place are good places to sell. Thanks.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler

Return to “General Stuff”