Madison Cawthorn RWNJ in the House

These people suck. They are bad people.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Re: Madison Cawthorn RWNJ in the House

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, who runs MAGA, some Disgraced Loser Twice Impeached, or the white supremacists who put him there, huh? :confuzzled:
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Madison Cawthorn Lawyer Cites Confederate Amnesty Act To Defend Rep’s Job

By Matt Shuham
January 26, 2022 3:44 p.m.

A lawyer for Rep. Madison Cawthorn (R-NC) cited an 1872 congressional action granting amnesty to Confederate soldiers to defend his own client’s eligibility for office.

The argument from Cawthorn lawyer James Bopp Jr. came in response to a legal effort to have Cawthorn declared ineligible for office because he allegedly “encouraged, and upon reasonable suspicion helped aid, the insurrection” on Jan. 6.

The legal challenge, from a group of North Carolina voters backed by the organization Free Speech For People, alleges that Cawthorn violated the third section of the 14th Amendment, which states, “No Person shall be a […] Representative in Congress […] who, having previously taken an oath, as a member of Congress […] to support the Constitution of the United States, shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same.”

On the phone with TPM Wednesday, Bopp said “there are substantial constitutional defenses, which include the fact that Congress passed the 1872 Amnesty Act, which removed all persons whatsoever from the disability under Section 3 as a result of engaging in an insurrection or rebellion.”

Though the Amnesty Act applied at the time to Confederate soldiers who fought in the Civil War, nothing in the law prevented it from being applied in the future, Bopp argued.

“There’s nothing in the Amnesty Act that says it’s only applicable to the Civil War, and it was very broad in its terms,” he said.

Ron Fein, legal director for Free Speech For People, told TPM in a statement that “Mr. Bopp’s argument is contradicted by history and common sense.”

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/madi ... surrection
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

IANAL, but if what Cawthorn's lawyer says is true, then what is the point of Constitutional Amendments? Does is really make sense that Congress can simply overrule them? I thought that was the whole deal, Congress wasn't allowed to overrule the Constitution, and if they did then the Supreme Court would slap them down.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

raison de arizona wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:43 pm IANAL, but if what Cawthorn's lawyer says is true, then what is the point of Constitutional Amendments? Does is really make sense that Congress can simply overrule them? I thought that was the whole deal, Congress wasn't allowed to overrule the Constitution, and if they did then the Supreme Court would slap them down.
Yes, I have seen the rationale elsewhere that Congress in 1872 passed a law that cannot over rule the 14th Amendment and therefore at most could only apply to the the intended Civil War veterans it was passed for.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
raison de arizona

In a new interview, Madison Cawthorn says Marc Elias is behind the efforts to disqualify him from office: “He’s got a real Napoleon complex .. he’s a real troubled man. He is trying to lash out and make his mark somehow.”
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

raison de arizona wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:43 pm IANAL, but if what Cawthorn's lawyer says is true, then what is the point of Constitutional Amendments? Does is really make sense that Congress can simply overrule them? I thought that was the whole deal, Congress wasn't allowed to overrule the Constitution, and if they did then the Supreme Court would slap them down.
I asked the all knowing ever accurate wiki..

The Amnesty Act of 1872 was a United States federal law passed on May 22, 1872, which reversed most of the penalties imposed on former Confederates by the Fourteenth Amendment, adopted on July 9, 1868. Section 3 of the Fourteenth Amendment prohibited the election or appointment to any federal or state office of any person who had held any of certain offices and then engaged in insurrection, rebellion, or treason. However, the section provided that a two-thirds vote by each House of the Congress could override this limitation in the case of specific individuals or groups of people. The 1872 act was an instance of this use and was passed by the 42nd United States Congress. The original restrictive Act was passed by the United States Congress in May 1866.[1]

Specifically, the 1872 Act removed office-holding disqualifications against most of the secessionists who rebelled in the American Civil War, except for "Senators and Representatives of the thirty-sixth and thirty-seventh Congresses, officers in the judicial, military, and naval service of the United States, heads of departments, and foreign ministers of the United States."[2]

In the spirit of the act, then United States President Ulysses S. Grant, by proclamation dated June 1, 1872, directed all district attorneys having charge of proceedings and prosecutions against those who had been disqualified by the Fourteenth Amendment to dismiss and discontinue them, except as to persons who fall within the exceptions named in the act.[2] President Grant also pardoned all but 500 former top Confederate leaders.

The 1872 Act affected over 150,000 former Confederate troops who had taken part in the American Civil War.

Importantly, the 1872 Act did not invalidate or remove Section 3 of the amendment, as Congress cannot change the Constitution with a simple statute like the 1872 Act.
raison de arizona

Got it. So all he needs is 2/3rds of the House and Senate to vote for him. :thumbsup:

Not that anything will come of this. Just...not a great defense.

Cawthorn takes his foreign policy advice from tfg.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Mr Cawthorn, you will forever remember the day when a former doubly impotus will say he hardly knew the Madison guy... :blackeye:
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

RTH10260 wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:27 pm Mr Cawthorn, you will forever remember the day when a former doubly impotus will say he hardly knew the Madison guy... :blackeye:
If we are to start the Underbussing pole again... I'd vote Madison then Jnr...
raison de arizona

.@CawthornforNC thinks members of Congress should settle their differences with fights instead of debates:

“In Brazil…there were two representatives who had a disagreement, so they got in an octagon and had a UFC fight.”

“I would sign up right away.”
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

raison de arizona wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:53 pm
.@CawthornforNC thinks members of Congress should settle their differences with fights instead of debates:

“In Brazil…there were two representatives who had a disagreement, so they got in an octagon and had a UFC fight.”

In single combat, he who is challenged is given choice of combat. I choose a foot race.

:blissy:

tek

Post by tek »

Hell, I'd choose a spelling bee.
Jim

Post by Jim »

tek wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 4:45 pm Hell, I'd choose a spelling bee.
American History.

Either he'll show his ignorance, or he'll show he's been lying all these years.
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

The only physical confrontation type skill he's ever exhibited is tree slapping, and that was one single bout that ended in a draw only because the tree was rotting and he wore reinforced tree-slappin' gloves; otherwise the tree woulda won it on points.
Image Image Image Image
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Estiveo wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:46 pm The only physical confrontation type skill he's ever exhibited is tree slapping, and that was one single bout that ended in a draw only because the tree was rotting and he wore reinforced tree-slappin' gloves; otherwise the tree woulda won it on points.
I dunno, he beat the shit out of a Dodge Charger once.

Resume18

Post by Resume18 »

raison de arizona wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:53 pm

What happens when his opponent tips him out of his wheelchair, cuz that's the first thing they're gonna do. Or am I missing something?
Like as the waves make towards the pebbled shore,
So do our minutes hasten to their end . . .
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Resume18 wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:25 pm :snippity:
What happens when his opponent tips him out of his wheelchair, cuz that's the first thing they're gonna do. Or am I missing something?
He'll form up Crippletron....

"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
raison de arizona

Cawthorn has been caught at least four times carrying a "combat knife" illegally into a school, he'll cut you if you try to tip him!
Right-wing Congressman Madison Cawthorn has been accused of bringing a weapon to another education facility — the fourth in a month — despite outcry from political opponents and a warning from law enforcement.
https://www.citizen-times.com/story/new ... 437874002/
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Overcompensating on a bigly scale.
raison de arizona

He really is a bum.
tek

Post by tek »

misspelled "Trump"
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

They say brain injuries can go unnoticed after a serious accident, especially by the recipient.
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

A bully by any other name....
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

In the actual House. :mad:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
raison de arizona

AndyinPA wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:06 am In the actual House. :mad:
That's what really got me. :mad:

Return to “Worst of the Right-Wing Pieholes”