US v. Trump - Espionage Act - (9:23-cr-80101) District Court, S.D. Florida

Abandon reality, all ye who enter here. *Democracy*Under*Threat*

Will this case go to trial before the primary elections?

Yes, and it will be a wonderful circus
24%
No, Judge Cannon will dismiss the case on a motion to dismiss
5%
No, Trump’s attorneys will work out a plea bargain
2%
No, the case will be in the appeals court through the 2024 election
20%
No, Judge Cannon will grant numerous motions to delay the case
28%
No, this case will NEVER go to trial, but I don't know what will happen
8%
Some other option, which I will describe in a post.
3%
Debilitating brain aneurysm
11%

Total votes: 123

New Turtle

Post by New Turtle »

Page 9: "The Judicial Watch president, who was not an attorney"

:thumbsup:
much ado

Post by much ado »

Ben Meiselas goes through the filing in detail. I thought it was pretty good.

Jack Smith TORCHES Judge Cannon in LATE NIGHT Filing
► Show Spoiler
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Good. :boxing:
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

tfg's motion to dismiss based on the PRA? Dennied.
https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap ... .431.0.pdf
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

She also won't rule on the jury instructions and will drag that out
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
bob

Post by bob »

"For completeness," S.D.Fla's order denying defendant's motion to dismiss.
Image ImageImage
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

What the hell kind of game is Cannon playing? No, the PRA doesn't apply, but maybe I am going to keep that idea on hold until after a jury is selected. She is a real piece of work.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

RVInit wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:18 pm What the hell kind of game is Cannon playing? No, the PRA doesn't apply, but maybe I am going to keep that idea on hold until after a jury is selected. She is a real piece of work.
It’s a NEW GAME from CANNON TOYS!
INCOMPETENCE!!!

Watch your opponent ignore the rules! Change her mind! Give inconsistent statements! Show bias towards other players!
As we always say here at Cannon Toys: Cannon Toys with your mind!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

IANAL, so I'll just put this here as an opinion I saw on Twitter. It's from Roger Parloff of Lawfare. Down below I've posted the link to the rolled up Twitter thread -

From the first two tweets -
Roger Parloff
@rparloff

Regretfully, I think Judge Cannon made the correct chess move yesterday, and I join those saying that Jack can’t seek mandamus just yet. Still, I think it’s unlikely Cannon can avoid a 11th Circuit showdown on *something* soon...
1/9

... There are too many frivolous Trump motions pending, and given her extreme aversion to ruling against Trump (for whatever reason), she can’t dodge them all indefinitely. Each may give Jack a chance to seek reassignment, which some 11th Cir. judges may already favor.
/2
Rolled up thread - https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1776 ... =topunroll
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

She's clearly in over her head and incompetent, but I've wondered if she's getting help from someone on the other side. IIRC, she was classified as unqualified when she was nominated. She's not very good at hiding her prejudices.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
raison de arizona

AndyinPA wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:20 pm She's clearly in over her head and incompetent, but I've wondered if she's getting help from someone on the other side. IIRC, she was classified as unqualified when she was nominated. She's not very good at hiding her prejudices.
ABA rated her qualified fwiw, but just barely. She is woefully inexperienced as a judge, however.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

She was confirmed 56 to 21. The American Bar Association rated Cannon qualified by a substantial majority and well qualified by a minority for the position.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

raison de arizona wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:41 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:20 pm She's clearly in over her head and incompetent, but I've wondered if she's getting help from someone on the other side. IIRC, she was classified as unqualified when she was nominated. She's not very good at hiding her prejudices.
ABA rated her qualified fwiw, but just barely. She is woefully inexperienced as a judge, however.
Thanks.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

It's too bad Smith can't mandamus her ass for absolute failure to make any decisions or to move the case forward in any meaningful way. How many of her "decisions" so far have been the same as this one.... "for the time being, pretrial this is my decision, blah blah blah". She is so obviously deliberately destroying this case, the one that should be an open and shut guilty verdict. She is disgusting.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
bob

Post by bob »

RVInit wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:18 pm It's too bad Smith can't mandamus her ass for absolute failure to make any decisions or to move the case forward in any meaningful way.
FWIW, an appellate court can issue a mandamus writ for a district court's failure to act.

But it is rarely asked for, and even more rarely granted.

I think, if the prosecutor makes a motion in limine for clarifying ruling, and the district court is coy, the appellate court may be receptive to the argument the prosecutor is entitled to answer before jeopardy attaches.
Image ImageImage
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

bob wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:37 pm
RVInit wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:18 pm It's too bad Smith can't mandamus her ass for absolute failure to make any decisions or to move the case forward in any meaningful way.
FWIW, an appellate court can issue a mandamus writ for a district court's failure to act.

I think, if the prosecutor makes a motion in limine for clarifying ruling, and the district court is coy, the appellate court may be receptive to the argument the prosecutor is entitled to answer before jeopardy attaches.
Last night on Lawrence O'Donnell's show, he interviewed Lawrence Tribe and Katyal Nadar about this very subject. IIRC (and if I understood correctly) they seemed to be saying that Smith may be trying to lay a trap for her. If he files a motion in limine, asking her to state definitively whether or not Trump can use the PRA as a defense, she is caught between a rock and a hard place. If she says he can use the PRA, Smith can appeal on that basis. If she tries to kick the can down the road by not ruling either way, then Smith can ask the 11th for a writ of mandamus, ordering her to make a ruling. If she rules that TFG can not use the PRA, then she will incur the wrath of Trump, her master.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

bob wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:37 pm

:prettyplease: :prettyplease: :prettyplease: :pray: :pray: :pray:
--Colin Kaepernick
raison de arizona

Alan Feuer @alanfeuer wrote: Just in: Judge Cannon grants Jack Smith's request to redact the names of nearly two dozen govt witnesses that Trump wanted to reveal in public versions of one of his big filings in the classified docs case.

But Cannon has ruled against Smith in his efforts to stop Trump from making public statements these witnesses made.
Recall: Trump attached to a motion to compel discovery sensitive material like excerpts of grand jury testimony and FBI 302s.
Some of that stuff may now come out.
raison de arizona

Hugo Lowell @hugolowell wrote: NEW: Judge Cannon is giving Trump until May 9 to file his CIPA Section 5 notice, where Trump has to disclose the specific classified docs he wants to use at trial. Sec 5 is a key step because it protects against surprise disclosure of classified material
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

May 8, 9:00 pm, he files a request to delay it, sternly reminding her she owes her job to him.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
raison de arizona

Naughty Nauta's FBI interview incoming. Maybe.
Alan Feuer @alanfeuer wrote: Just in: Looks like we'll be getting a transcript of Walt Nauta's FBI interview at some point tomorrow, minus the names of any potential govt witnesses, according to Judge Cannon's most recent order.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

raison de arizona

Delay!
https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap ... .458.0.pdf
President Trump respectfully requests an adjournment of the May 9, 2024, deadlines
until three weeks after the conclusion of the People v. Trump trial.
raison de arizona

Kyle Cheney @kyledcheney wrote: There's some wild stuff in this newly unsealed (but heavily redacted) FBI interview from a high-level Trump-world person related to the classified docs investigation.

For example: the witness was afraid to have the interview recorded for fear of reprisal https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap ... .470.4.pdf
https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap ... .470.4.pdf
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

That's a crazy thread. Wonder how long it'll take the sleuths to figure out who each "Pers" is.

Turns out National Archives were trying to find Obama's letter to trump as well as the Sharpie-enhanced map of Hurricane Dorian.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain

Return to “The Big Lie & Aftermath of The Former Guy”