John Eastman disbarment hearing

Abandon reality, all ye who enter here. *Democracy*Under*Threat*
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Could it be because your "work" is bogus and biased? Mebbe?
https://x.com/Rach_IC/status/1720571069688664193?s=20
Rachel Alexander @Rach_IC wrote: I find it incredulous how I've covered all 33 days of the disbarment trial of John Eastman, writing 33 articles about it, and am the only reporter fully live tweeting the entire trial, and if you do a search on Google News for my name, not one single reporter or publication has cited any of my work. There is a complete blackout. So Orwellian - as if any non-MSM reporting, no matter how thorough and qualified (given my background), doesn't even exist.
Alexander had her law license suspended a ways back. Not sure if she ever renewed it after the suspension was up.
:bwahaha:
Rachel Alexander @Rach_IC wrote: Heheh love this ending of the disbarment trial of John Eastman. The California bar's attorney is asking him about stating that he believes "the bar's complaint is so full of errors, I think the people who filed it should be disbarred for making false statements to a tribunal."

Eastman said he stands by the statement, granted the bar counsel has immunity. He then gave an example of why he believes it. The California bar's attorney claimed that Eastman made false statements when he said there were votes from deceased voters, then proceeded to agree that there were a few. BOOM!
https://x.com/Rach_IC/status/1720582817158189295?s=20
BOOM! indeed! :lol:
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

THANK YOU!!!

It was so unexpected Foggy, "Marcia" and Frater, you overwhelmed me. I'm still heavily mourning the loss of my Mom and Dad and your kindness made me cry, it meant more than you know. And hell yeah on your position in LukeCrew, Foggy! 💙

What an adventure this has been. I've covered about 20 days at 7 hours a day, gotta say it's a relief that bastard Eastman is well on his way to disbarment.

Another three part day to make sure ThreadReaderApp worked:

⚖️ Nov 3 2023: FINAL Day 33, the end of the 10-week #EastmanTrial, CA Bar's Disbarment Trial of John Eastman. Eastman already found PRELIMINARILY CULPABLE. Final 75 page or less written Closing Arguments due 11/22 & matter will be submitted. 🚀

PART I: https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1720 ... 27285.html
PART II: https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1720 ... 64012.html
PART III: https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1720 ... 71444.html

All ThreadReaderApp unrolls: https://threadreaderapp.com/user/Orly_licious

Luke Johnson 🇺🇸 @Orly_licious 1h
Eric Hirschmann was Prophetic for John Eastman. John send Eric a basket of fruit. Eric was spot on for #EastmanTrial & upcoming criminal RICO trial in Georgia: "The best free legal advice you are ever going to get. Get yourself a good effing criminal defense attorney..." :towel:

Looking for the next Trial to cover -- after a break!
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

:bighug:
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

raison de arizona wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 7:06 pm
Alexander had her law license suspended a ways back. Not sure if she ever renewed it after the suspension was up.
Oh man, I'd forgotten the saga of the reign of terror presided over by Andrew Thomas as the County Attorney of Maricopa County. And the hapless Rachel "RICO" Alexander.
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

Orly did an absolutely AMAZING job live tweeting Eastman hearing. Kept up with the testimony when after a while it sounded like Charlie Brown's teacher to me. AND organized. AND recaps.

I honestly don't understand why it had to be so lengthy. I'm not sure all the technical stuff was important to the case; it was so in the weeds. All the people running the elections said things were ok. Eastman didn't believe them and found his own "experts" who know nothing about election data or procedures utb who confirmed his own beliefs. So the question is did he push disinformation in a way that violated CA bar rules. Seems pretty clear to me that his work caused havoc, deaths, and jail time for a lot of people - all for lies.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
roadscholar

Post by roadscholar »

I hope someone added on the record that practically all instances of “dead people voting” have been not fraud, but clerical errors… Like J. Doe Jr. showing up to vote and the election folks mistakenly record him as J. Doe Sr. who is an ex-parrot. In which case no vote was recorded for Jr., so: no double-voting.
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

chancery wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 5:48 pm
raison de arizona wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 7:06 pm
Oh man, I'd forgotten the saga of the reign of terror presided over by Andrew Thomas as the County Attorney of Maricopa County. And the hapless Rachel "RICO" Alexander.
And yes, Alexander is still an ex-lawyer; she has run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir obnoxious.

https://prescottenews.com/index.php/202 ... -republic/
Ms. Alexander describes herself as a “recovering attorney”, who has served as an Assistant Attorney General for the State of Arizona, a corporate attorney for Go Daddy Software, and a Deputy County Attorney for the Maricopa County Attorney’s Office, under Andrew Thomas, where she worked in the area of elections law and served as a Special Assistant to Mr. Thomas.

In 2012 Ms. Alexander along with then Maricopa County Attorney Andrew Thomas were ensnared in what their defenders believe to be one of the most dishonorable chapters in the history of the Arizona Bar Association, when she and Mr. Thomas were subject to politically inspired disciplinary proceedings by the office of Bar Counsel. Ms. Alexander’s talk will review the circumstances surrounding these events and their continuing relevance to the abuses in our political and judicial systems going on today.
:point: :rotflmao:
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

roadscholar wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 8:02 pm I hope someone added on the record that practically all instances of “dead people voting” have been not fraud, but clerical errors… Like J. Doe Jr. showing up to vote and the election folks mistakenly record him as J. Doe Sr. who is an ex-parrot. In which case no vote was recorded for Jr., so: no double-voting.
Several times--and it would have been more had the State Bar had even a tenth of the time it needed to rebut the crap thrown out by Eastman's witnesses.

Fortunately, there is an extensive written record debunking this and every other damned chimera Eastman pointed to as fraud or irregularity. Meaning, there was zero new evidence introduced--it was all the same stuff the election deniers pushed at the time. (Leading to the sense that this was an incredible waste of time--Eastman wanted to present his case on the elusive merits--and he did--to the expected result).

Carling asked Eastman why he said in an interview that the State Bar attorneys should be disbarred for lying. Eastman replied that they had lied in their charging document when they said that "Eastman claimed that dead people voted, but in fact no dead people voted" when, in fact, Eastman had proved that at least four or five dead people had voted (meaning, four or five people voted for their dead spouses--the thousands that Eastman's experts( originally pointed to were all people who had died after early voting or sending in an absentee ballot). This was what the great legal brain was reduced to.
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

roadscholar wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 8:02 pm I hope someone added on the record that practically all instances of “dead people voting” have been not fraud, but clerical errors… Like J. Doe Jr. showing up to vote and the election folks mistakenly record him as J. Doe Sr. who is an ex-parrot. In which case no vote was recorded for Jr., so: no double-voting.
Too, also, in the handful of cases (and I do mean handful. You can probably count them on one hand) in which it was proven that someone voted twice, using a dead parent's registration, they were exclusively cases in which the perpetrator voted for Trump twice.

AFAIK, every single case of "voter fraud" in the 2020 election was perpetrated by Republicans. And, there were fewer than ten such cases, nationwide.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

60 Minutes
@60Minutes

Conservative former law professor John Eastman was among the architects of President Trump's bid to stay in power. Eastman, facing criminal charges in Georgia’s election conspiracy case, has pleaded not guilty. Scott Pelley speaks with John Eastman, Sunday.
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

Indeed; I have nearly "committed" voter fraud at least five times in this manner (including twice after my father ex-parroted). We don't even have the same middle name! (so I'm not a Jr. or III or whatever). The first time, we didn't even have the same address, after that he moved to England and changed his stateside address to mine. It took several years to get his dead ass off the rolls.
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

I did not watch the Eastman 60 minutes video and haven't really seen any chatter about it. A brief clip with Pence's attorney came across my feed, with him talking about his belief that Eastman was a nut; they showed the email he sent Eastman during the insurrection saying his "bullshit caused this" and that he was a "serpent whispering in Trump's ear." I had not heard about that second email.

This is from April and is kinda lengthy, but SUPER interesting article called "The Dangerous Journey of John Eastman." It looks at how he got where he is now. Reading this, it seems inevitable that he'd be where he is now. A far right true believer who got a little bit of fame, which went to his head and confirmed his own brilliance to himself. And then...he writes to Rudy to ask to get on the pardon list.

https://washingtonmonthly.com/2023/04/0 ... n-eastman/
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Post by Flatpoint High »

looks like Eastman is ahead on being disbarred - hew as found culpalable
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Transcript of the 60 Minutes segment on Eastman, for those of us who don't like to watch.

Nothing new.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/john-eastm ... ranscript/

I've been mulling over the hectic last couple of days of the disbarment hearing (no references in the above transcript; I'm just mulling). Carling (state bar) finally had the chance to deal with some of the idiot theories Eastman had been presenting--all well known, all debunked (though not debunked enough for Eastman's liking).

One item that always irritated me was a bunch of in-house election data from some state (GA? WI? AZ? I can't remember) that summarized in a table the flow of mail-in ballots through the system. One column was labeled something like "Mailing Date." The stats guys hired by MAGA to review the data were shocked to discover that for some category of mail-in ballots, the Mailing Date was the same as the "Date Received" or some such.

A red flag went up. Finally, clear evidence of error, irregularity, or fraud! Publish this far and wide and demand investigation! Use it, and a hundred other similarly discovered red flags to accuse anyone you like of suppression, criminality, and rigging!

Now me, I am not a stats dude, but I am an editor and I've edited perhaps a gazillion tables in my day. And even if you never saw a table before, if you saw something that made no sense, the first thing you would think to do would be to ask whoever made the table what's the what?

It took Carling about three minutes to establish that none of the famous stats guys Eastman had pointed to had ever worked on an election, nor had they bothered to drop a dime to call the BOE of whatever state it was, and ask the obvious question about the meaning of the column headers.

Which, if they had done so, would have turned up the answer that "Mailing Date" did not mean "Date that a mail-in ballot was sent out to a voter," but rather some other step in the highly detailed tracking process. I'll the skip the details, which I don't remember anyway.

My point being: Yes, this is one simple example of exactly how un-serious the stop the steal effort was, for all it's arrogant experts and ninjas. But it is also convincing evidence to me that Eastman is a blatant charlatan whose claims of "just wanting to be confident in our voting system" and "I believe to this day that irregularities occurred" are self-consciously bogus.

A dude of Eastman's academic credentials, faced with a couple of column headers in a table that don't make sense to him, and he skips past the part of the analysis where you ask for clarification? He said repeatedly, deviously, that he "listened to the experts." BS. He sat in that courtroom and listened the to his stats expert claiming the table was evidence of malfeasance, and he sat right in that courtroom and listened to Carling eviscerate his expert. He heard the election officials themselves explain the table.Then he got back on the stand and said that everything he'd heard in that courtroom made him more convinced than ever that the election was rigged.

I suppose it's possible that this is the first time in his life he ever ignored all of his training and experience in an effort to convince others that he was "right." But I doubt it.
NewMexGirl

Post by NewMexGirl »

p0rtia wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 11:42 am Transcript of the 60 Minutes segment on Eastman, for those of us who don't like to watch.

Nothing new.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/john-eastm ... transcript.
:snippity:
Then he got back on the stand and said that everything he'd heard in that courtroom made him more convinced than ever that the election was rigged.

I suppose it's possible that this is the first time in his life he ever ignored all of his training and experience in an effort to convince others that he was "right." But I doubt it.
Nothing state bar associations like better than an attorney who arrogantly demonstrates a total lack of contrition for his/her established transgressions. :sarcastic:

So it’s all good, so far as I am concerned. Keep it up, Eastman.
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

p0rtia wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 11:42 am One item that always irritated me was a bunch of in-house election data from some state (GA? WI? AZ? I can't remember) that summarized in a table the flow of mail-in ballots through the system. One column was labeled something like "Mailing Date." The stats guys hired by MAGA to review the data were shocked to discover that for some category of mail-in ballots, the Mailing Date was the same as the "Date Received" or some such.

A red flag went up. Finally, clear evidence of error, irregularity, or fraud! Publish this far and wide and demand investigation! Use it, and a hundred other similarly discovered red flags to accuse anyone you like of suppression, criminality, and rigging!

Now me, I am not a stats dude, but I am an editor and I've edited perhaps a gazillion tables in my day. And even if you never saw a table before, if you saw something that made no sense, the first thing you would think to do would be to ask whoever made the table what's the what?
Speaking purely from the point of view of a professional data analyst -- that was my bread and butter for 15 total years before I invested that IT-adjacent experience and my broader hands-on hardware and administration experience into my current employment with the Foreign Service -- the *first* thing I do when I am looking at a batch of data that I ain't never seen before is ask for its data dictionary, the list of every field, what that field's data type is (text vs numbers only vs dates vs whatever), and what that data in that field is meant to represent.

I spent 10 of those 15 years working in a job where I was required to hit a 'cleaned' version of a state government database to which all the regional sub-agencies 'subscribed', and that database's available data dictionary was at least 5 years old and out of date the very first day of my job. It made life miserable and I constantly had to check with the experts in the state-level office and ask "Gang, does this field indicate what I think it indicates?" Over the years, the braindrain was such that sometimes even they didn't know anymore. But it was always important to check.

Otherwise, you end up filing lawsuits and looking like an idiot. Or something.

But that's just this professional's opinion.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/12/1 ... s-00131823

Jack Smith is still scrutinizing John Eastman

Federal prosecutors don’t appear to be done with John Eastman just yet.
On Monday, a paralegal for special counsel Jack Smith’s office ordered transcripts from the recent disbarment trial of the former Donald Trump attorney. The move signals that prosecutors are still keeping tabs on Eastman, who helped orchestrate Trump’s last-ditch bid to remain in power despite his defeat in the 2020 election.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Or, could be they want the transcripts in anticipation of an I-was-just-following-my-attorney’s-advice defense. They’ll likely need these transcripts for the DC trial.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Was doing my weekly check for news on the Eastman disbarment hearing, and found this. A nice presentation of why Eastman should be disbarred. Also, the calendar:

https://statesuniteddemocracy.org/resou ... inal-case/
The court has up to 90 days after the post-trial briefs are submitted to make a final ruling on the case, which means a written decision will be issued by Feb. 29, 2024. In the written decision, the court will rule on Eastman’s culpability and make a recommendation on the appropriate sanction. If the court recommends disbarment, it must also: (1) order Eastman to be placed on what’s known as inactive enrollment, making him ineligible to practice law in California, and (2) immediately file with the California Supreme Court a certified copy of its decision, together with the transcript and findings.
Etc.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

https://www.ocregister.com/2024/02/21/f ... hreatened/
Former Chapman Law dean John Eastman appeals for more money as license is threatened
Column: The former president's former lawyer has been watching the Georgia soap opera closely

As the soap opera in Georgia rivets the nation, the deadline for a California Bar judge to rule on John Eastman’s law license — can he keep it and earn money to fight those criminal charges in Georgia, or will he be disbarred for trying to overthrow democracy? — was supposed to be February’s end.

But decision day has been pushed back a month or so.

Turns out the State Bar’s prosecutor incorrectly cited a court case in a filing and asked to fix it. Attorneys for Eastman, the former dean of Chapman Law School, responded with a long list of other things they consider to be factually incorrect in the prosecutor’s filings. So now Judge Yvette Roland’s decision will be due by March 27, a State Bar spokesperson said by email.

Eastman has been charged with 11 counts by the State Bar, the most colorful of which are “dishonesty and moral turpitude.” He’s accused of prodding state electors to send fake electoral votes for Trump to the Capitol, of filing false information with courts, of spreading incendiary lies that fed the rage that consumed the Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021, and cost several people their lives.

Meantime, the former dean is keeping an eagle eye on the drama in the Peach State — seeing, perhaps, a way out — and pushing for more contributions to cover millions in legal bills.

“The sixty four dollar question many people are asking is whether Fulton County (Georgia) District Attorney Fani Willis and her (apparently former) boyfriend will be removed from prosecuting President Trump, me and some 17 other defendants on ridiculous, politically-motivated charges,” Eastman wrote in an essay published Wednesday, Feb. 21, on City News OKC’s website.

“The answer, according to numerous legal experts is: they sure should be. Judge Scott McAfee’s hearing last week turned into a must-watch TV drama. It reminded me of watching O.J. Simpson driving his white Bronco on a Los Angeles freeway back in the day with TV helicopters hovering above and police cars behind. You just couldn’t turn away, wondering how things would end….

“I obviously am much more than just an interested observer in this legal drama. The two people at its center are seeking to ruin my life, destroy my reputation and put me in prison simply because I lawfully gave President Trump legal advice on questioning the integrity of the 2020 election.”

Willis’ Georgia grand jury indicted Eastman, Trump and others on racketeering and other charges, saying they aimed to disenfranchise Georgia voters.

The former president’s former lawyer has bemoaned the “surreal, exhausting battle to defend my integrity” in fundraising emails, pinning the price tag for his legal defense at some $3 million to $3.5 million. He faces “an onslaught of false charges leveled by radical leftwing lawyers working with lawfare groups. Tragically, many of these false charges were repeated nearly word-for-word by State Bar prosecutors and form the basis of the Bar’s prosecution against me,” he told potential contributors.
Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis testifies during a hearing on the Georgia election interference case, Thursday, Feb. 15, 2024, in Atlanta. The hearing is to determine whether Willis should be removed from the case because of a relationship with Nathan Wade, special prosecutor she hired in the election interference case against former President Donald Trump. (Alyssa Pointer/Pool Photo via AP)
Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis testifies during a hearing on the Georgia election interference case on Feb. 15. (Alyssa Pointer/Pool Photo via AP)

Eastman’s GiveSendGo account has hit $628,000, with more than $10,000 in small donations pouring in over the past month. A donor recently kicked in $1,000, saying, “I remain appalled that the California Bar is persecuting you for zealously representing your client. How could the ethics authorities be so unethical?”

Eastman is categorically innocent of all the charges against him, Eastman has said, and is doing everything in his power to defend himself and expose the truth.

“The unprecedented ferocity and extent of the various lawfare attacks against me have been grueling,” he wrote on CityNewsOKC. “I am fighting this lawfare assault vigorously but I’m going to need to raise over $3 million to contend with the totality of the assault being waged against me.

“Whatever happens in Judge McAfee’s courtroom, or with the California State Bar Judge’s ruling, or a disbarment complaint that was filed with the US Supreme Court, or with Jack Smith’s case in Washington DC, my legal team needs to be ready to act on a moment’s notice. My family and I urgently need help to sustain my defense and to continue our efforts to expose the truth of what really happened in the 2020 election.”

The truth, the State Bar maintains, is that Eastman engaged in multiple acts of wrongdoing to keep Trump in power despite losing the election. His misconduct strikes at the very heart of what it means to be a lawyer, sought to undermine democracy, subvert the peaceful transfer of presidential power and thwart the will of the people in a free and fair election, prosecutors say.

“In doing so, he betrayed the fundamental duties and oaths he swore to uphold,” prosecutors wrote in closing arguments. “(He) remains brazenly remorseless … and has made clear that he would continue to engage in the same misconduct if allowed. The only appropriate outcome is disbarment.”

We’ll know by March 27 which way this goes.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

As a dues-paying member of the California Bar, this is infuriating.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
realist

Post by realist »

Maybenaut wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:19 am As a dues-paying member of the California Bar, this is infuriating.
Indeed.

I suspect he now knows Fani nor Wade were disqualified, so he and Trump can scream all day about it.
Image X 4
Image X 32
sterngard friegen

Post by sterngard friegen »

For those who may be interested, Michael Avenatti has still not been disbarred despite at least two Federal felony convictions now final.

https://apps.calbar.ca.gov/attorney/Lic ... ail/206929
Neither disbarred nor disciplined after representing President Barack Obama. :oldman:
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

I posted in another thread, but Kenneth Chesebro had his license suspended in Massachusetts. I think he became a zillionaire in some other endeavor, so I don't think he even needs to work, esp as a lawyer.
bob

Post by bob »

sterngard friegen wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:33 am For those who may be interested, Michael Avenatti has still not been disbarred despite at least two Federal felony convictions now final.
Per the State Bar Court's site, the review department is sitting on the disbarment proceedings pending submission of evidence that his convictions are now actually final.

And, of course, Avenatti's license remains suspended.
Image ImageImage

Return to “The Big Lie & Aftermath of The Former Guy”