Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

More Cute Fur Baby stuff

pjhimself

More Cute Fur Baby stuff

Post by pjhimself »

AndyinPA wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:19 pm Gives me a headache.
I’ve always wondered why these peckers kept at the metal pecking when there doesn’t seem to be any reward.
Maybe the mating/territorial thing but………noisy, you’re right……
Phoenix520
Verified:

More Cute Fur Baby stuff

Post by Phoenix520 »

We renovated a house in Monrovia. When we got to the dining room, which was 5 sided and built like the wheelhouse on a ship, we discovered perfect holes on the outside of every facet of the room, from woodpeckers. They’d drop their acorns in, and they’d fall to the bottom of the wall. They just kept shoving acorns in… until the bees moved in and built their hives in the walls.

Then came some kind of wasp. It destroyed the hives. Then humans came along and put pesticide into the walls and everything died.

When we bought the house and opened the walls, we were just amazed at the volume of POISONED HONEY we removed. We had to call the trash company to take it away the very next day after we removed it. We were afraid the local bears would eat it and die.
RVInit

More Cute Fur Baby stuff

Post by RVInit »

:bighug: That was so considerate and thoughtful of the bears and other critters that could have been poisoned by the tainted honey.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Azastan
Verified:

More Cute Fur Baby stuff

Post by Azastan »

pjhimself wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:37 pm Bringing down the Chinese balloon (not a political commentary):

Is that a black-rumped flame-back?
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

More Cute Fur Baby stuff

Post by northland10 »

pjhimself wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:25 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:19 pm Gives me a headache.
I’ve always wondered why these peckers kept at the metal pecking when there doesn’t seem to be any reward.
Maybe the mating/territorial thing but………noisy, you’re right……
Yeah, it is territorial and mating, at least with some. I was sitting at my desk working one day and wondered what that noise was. So, I went to the other side of the house and went outside. A downy woodpecker had found a nice hard and hollow piece of tree and was drumming it away. It was much like this guy.

101010 :towel:
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

More Cute Fur Baby stuff

Post by northland10 »

This flicker likes the loud metal. It's like a sledgehammer.

101010 :towel:
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

More Cute Fur Baby stuff

Post by neonzx »

I occasionally have a woodpecker going at it on the rain gutters. Always found it strange as there is no payoff banging on aluminum. :lol:
pjhimself

More Cute Fur Baby stuff

Post by pjhimself »

neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

More Cute Fur Baby stuff

Post by neonzx »

Looks like the big "cats" don't know how to deal with boxes like a house cat. They seem very corfuddled.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

More Cute Fur Baby stuff

Post by Foggy »

Phoenix520 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:42 pm We renovated a house in Monrovia.

:snippity: POISONED HONEY :snippity:
That's a great story, but I wonder about the previous owners. Like, they didn't notice the woodpeckers drilling holes and dropping acorns in the wall while they were eating dinner? Maybe they noticed, but said, "Oh, we'll just sell the place." Maybe they just didn't use the dining room much?

Weird. :shrug:

In California, there are all kinds of requirements that you disclose any known problems when you sell a house. I'd like to see the disclosure regarding the dining room walls. :lol:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
pjhimself

More Cute Fur Baby stuff

Post by pjhimself »

So we’ll behaved ! “Nervous dog” made me laugh; bear spray made me wonder.

AndyinPA
Verified:

More Cute Fur Baby stuff

Post by AndyinPA »

:thumbsup:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Phoenix520
Verified:

More Cute Fur Baby stuff

Post by Phoenix520 »

:snippity:
I wonder about the previous owners. Like, they didn't notice the woodpeckers drilling holes and dropping acorns in the wall while they were eating dinner?
:snippity:

The house was owned by an REIT that fell apart when the members fell to quarreling amongst themselves. They had a caretaker who didn’t much care. He basically came there to sleep and throw dog food cans into a big pile.

There were all kinds of problems which we attempted to address with the county tax office. The file, over 11” thick, was passed around the office for over a year and a half because it was such a tangled mess. They had tried to divide the property into lots but I think they were drunk when they filed the paperwork, because nothing made sense. It looked like a Republican neighborhood after reapportionment.

We got the last person to be passed the paperwork to tell us this cuz he was so frustrated that he ended up with it - again! He’s the one who started out with it. We came up with a plan and he got his bosses to approve it, nearly three years after we presented it.

This was by far my favorite place we lived, though, even with the mountain lions, rattlesnakes and bears. Oh my.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

I didn't know smoking dog food was a soporific.

Post by Foggy »

Well, that explains it, alright. The caretaker slept through the racket after smoking up all the dog food. Makes perfect sense, really. :?

Ol' Wifehorn thinks it's very suspicious - there's apparently a story in the Washington Post TODAY about woodpeckers, acorns, and walls in California. Not gonna look for it, my arm hurts. But still. She's like, did you start there?

No, we started with pjhimself's woodpecker video.
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Slim Cognito
Verified:

More Cute Fur Baby stuff

Post by Slim Cognito »

Ned.jpeg
Ned.jpeg (104.29 KiB) Viewed 1476 times
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
pjhimself

More Cute Fur Baby stuff

Post by pjhimself »

The previous post (which no longer exists) was intended as a joke and is now withdrawn…….

The previous post I had intended to post referred to another member by name in jest.

While others do, I refuse to refer to other members in any context as a personal rule, thus this edit exists because I can’t delete the original (or don’t know how).
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

More Cute Fur Baby stuff

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Ned is needed
after kittehs have feeded. :biggrin:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
pjhimself

More Cute Fur Baby stuff

Post by pjhimself »

RVInit

More Cute Fur Baby stuff

Post by RVInit »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:06 pm Ned is needed
after kittehs have feeded. :biggrin:
:lol:
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
RVInit

More Cute Fur Baby stuff

Post by RVInit »

Aw...

--Colin Kaepernick
RVInit

More Cute Fur Baby stuff

Post by RVInit »

:rotflmao:

--Colin Kaepernick
AndyinPA
Verified:

More Cute Fur Baby stuff

Post by AndyinPA »

:lol:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
pjhimself

More Cute Fur Baby stuff

Post by pjhimself »

Just taking a test drive:

RVInit

More Cute Fur Baby stuff

Post by RVInit »

:lol: :lovestruck:
--Colin Kaepernick
AndyinPA
Verified:

More Cute Fur Baby stuff

Post by AndyinPA »

:biggrin:

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”