Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

More Cute Fur Baby stuff

Slim Cognito
Verified:

Re: More Cute Fur Baby stuff

Post by Slim Cognito »

John Thomas8 wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:26 am
Thanks! I needed that.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
pjhimself

Post by pjhimself »

AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:lol:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Hic sunt dracones
pjhimself

Post by pjhimself »

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Pipi, this is for you.

https://apnews.com/article/vampire-bats ... 9f8ce2c39d
Scientists figure out how vampire bats got a taste for blood

They compared the genome of common vampire bats to 26 other bat species and identified 13 genes that are missing or no longer work in vampire bats. Over the years, those gene tweaks helped them adapt to a blood diet rich in iron and protein but with minimal fats or carbohydrates, the researchers reported Friday in the journal Science Advances.

The bats live in South and Central America and are basically “living Draculas,” said co-author Michael Hiller of Germany’s Max Planck Institute. About 3 inches (8 centimeters) long with a wingspan of 7 inches (18 centimeters), the bats bite and than lap up blood from livestock or other animals at night.

Most mammals couldn’t survive on a low-calorie liquid diet of blood. Only three vampire species of the 1,400 kinds of bats can do that — the others eat mostly insects, fruit, nectar, pollen or meat, such as small frogs and fish.

The latest work expands upon research by another team that pinpointed three of the 13 gene losses.

“The new paper shows how different vampire bats are from even other closely related bats, which eat nectar and fruit,” said Kate Langwig, a bat researcher at Virginia Tech, who had no role in the study.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/30/us/f ... ticleShare
Flamingo No. 492 Is Still on the Run 17 Years Later
A fisherman’s sighting in March confirmed that a flamingo that fled a Kansas zoo in 2005 has defied the odds to live a Pixar-worthy life in the wilds of Texas.
flamingo on the run.jpg
flamingo on the run.jpg (244.55 KiB) Viewed 1148 times
video at this link
► Show Spoiler
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

We had a peacock that lived around here for quite a few years. He hung out with the turkeys.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Not the right thread, but a joke my sister-in-law shared today -

A farmer pulls a prank on Easter Sunday. After the egg hunt he sneaks into the chicken coop and replaces every egg with a brightly colored one.

Minutes later, the rooster walks in. He spots the colored eggs, then storms out and beats up the peacock.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Fun times! :lol:
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

The panda cubs at the Smithsonian were the highlight of our DC trip several years back. The cubs were inside and the keepers had drizzled honey over plastic milk crates. Oh the photos we got...!!!
pjhimself

Post by pjhimself »

pjhimself

Post by pjhimself »

John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

They just want someone to care, this made me cry:

sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

I love this story.
https://www.wjtv.com/news/state/homeles ... l-shelter/
SENATOBIA, Miss. (WREG)— A homeless teen who surrendered his dog to a Mississippi animal shelter because he couldn’t care for her has been reunited with his dog.

WREG is not identifying the 17-year-old, who was reunited with his puppy Jada, Friday morning.

Kris Robinson, Interim Shelter Director at the Senatobia-Tate County Animal Shelter, says the teen came to the shelter earlier in the week and asked if he could leave Jada there.

Robinson says he told her he couldn’t take care of Jada anymore and that he was living under a bridge. The 17-year-old said he’d left Jada in a tent while he looked for work, but she had broken out.

The teen told Robinson he didn’t even have a tent anymore and couldn’t feed the dog.
pjhimself

Post by pjhimself »

Playtime:

AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:rotflmao:
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:lol:
Lani

Post by Lani »

I love his dancing, hopping, tail wagging as he moves down the street. I hope he has a happy home. :bighug:
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Tiredretiredlawyer

For pipi!

https://nationaldaycalendar.com/interna ... -april-17/
INTERNATIONAL BAT APPRECIATION DAY

Each year on April 17th, International Bat Appreciation Day reminds us of the roles bats play in our daily lives. April is also the best time of the year to observe bats, as they are now beginning to emerge from hibernation. The observance is an excellent time to learn about the role bats play in nature. Since bats are considered “insectivorous” creatures, they rid our world of many annoying insects. In one hour, a bat can eat up to 1,000 mosquitoes.

Bat FAQ
Q. Do bats live on every continent?
A. No. Bats do not live in Antarctica.

Q. What is the world’s largest bat?
A. The flying fox is the world’s largest bat and lives in the tropical forests and swamps of Madagascar, Australia, Asia, and Indonesia. The species is threatened by hunting, with some populations considered endangered.

Q. What is the world’s smallest bat?
A. Kitti’s hog-nosed bat is the world’s smallest species of bat. It is also known as the bumblebee bat. They live in limestone caves in Thailand and Myanmar.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Batster.jpg
Batster.jpg (26.4 KiB) Viewed 720 times
Tiredretiredlawyer

:lovestruck:

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”