Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Best on Youtube

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Re: Best on Youtube

Post by RTH10260 »

bill_g wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:53 am
RTH10260 wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:36 pm https: //youtu.be/g83Fu0R2GGM
Wow. Good job by these women making something usable from the water hyacinths. The enormity of the problem suggests someone needs to make a boat that can harvest vast amounts quickly like a giant lawnmower.
I seem to remember that in Bangkok they clear the shippable canals with a harvester. As the water hyacinths have no roots its just about picking them up (from 2016 using backhoes to pick from the shore https://www.bangkokpost.com/learning/ad ... hao-phraya) . The stuff has also potential to be converted to biogas (https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1 ... 012019/pdf)
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

:cantlook:

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

:cantlook: :cantlook: :cantlook:
Markus Eder's The Ultimate Run - The Most Insane Ski Run Ever Imagined

3 Nov 2021

Watch the exclusive behind the scenes on Red Bull TV 👉 https://www.redbull.com/int-en/episod...

“Sometimes my mind goes kind of crazy about skiing and I ask myself, what if...?” - Markus Eder

What if you could link every powder turn, every rail, every cliff drop, every comp run and every kicker nailed into one ultimate run? Well, Markus Eder did just that in ‘The Ultimate Run’!

This is Markus’ Opus Magnum, a medley of face shots, massive tricks and even bigger drops, which was documented by Innsbruck based production company Legs of Steel over the past two years.

Markus has been visualizing the ultimate run since 2015. It may look like a simple undertaking in the final edit, but for arguably the most versatile skier on the planet, it meant taking his skill levels in every form and style of contemporary freeskiing to the next level.

“All aspects of freeskiing have fascinated me since the beginning”, states Markus.

The Ultimate Run kicks off on the lofty extremities of Zermatt as Markus drops into a sheer expanse of powder, before shredding his way through glacial blocks the size of buses, jumping off ice cliffs and then slips into the belly of the glacier, only to reappear above his home resort of Klausberg. Carving fields of fresh powder he joins a session with his buddies at his local snowpark, before boosting back off into the backcountry for some more face shots. The firecrackers keep on popping as he enters the snow covered architecture of Taufer castle and a mining museum. As the sun sets over the mountains Markus slides out onto the valley floor, six years of dream skiing condensed into ten minutes of pure joy and adrenaline.

This edit took over 90 days to film, entirely in the Alps in Markus’ home region. “The Ultimate Run is Markus’ dream project,” says Tobi Reindl from Legs of Steel, “and it also became one of the biggest and most thrilling projects we have done so far.”

With the first snow falling in the Alps, ‘The Ultimate Run’ is a must watch for all winter sports enthusiasts. It will reignite the passion for winter in even the most laid back snow fans for the coming season.

Find out more about The Ultimate Run: www.redbull.com/ultimaterun
pjhimself

Post by pjhimself »

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia wrote:1946 Aleutian Islands earthquake

The 1946 Aleutian Islands earthquake occurred near the Aleutian Islands, Alaska on April 1. The shock had a moment magnitude of 8.6 and a maximum Mercalli intensity of VI (Strong). It resulted in 165–173 casualties and over $26 million in damage. The seafloor along the fault was elevated, triggering a Pacific-wide tsunami with multiple destructive waves at heights ranging from 45–130 ft. The tsunami obliterated the Scotch Cap Lighthouse on Unimak Island, Alaska among others, and killed all five lighthouse keepers. Despite the destruction to the Aleutian Island Unimak, the tsunami had almost an imperceptible effect on the Alaskan mainland.[3]

Waves reportedly traveled across the ocean at 500 miles an hour and measured 55 feet high, crest to trough, according to the USGS. The wave reached Kauai, Hawaii 4.5 hours after the quake, and Hilo, Hawaii 4.9 hours later. In Hilo, the death toll was high: 173 were killed, 163 injured, 488 buildings were demolished and 936 more were damaged. Witnesses told of waves inundating streets, homes, and storefronts. Many victims were swept out to sea by receding water. The tsunami caused much damage in Maui as well. Waves there demolished 77 homes and many other buildings.[4] The residents of these islands were caught off-guard by the onset of the tsunami due to the inability to transmit warnings from the destroyed posts at Scotch Cap, and the tsunami is known as the April Fools' Day Tsunami in Hawaii because it happened on April 1. The effects of the tsunami also reached Washington, Oregon, and California.[3]

The tsunami was unusually powerful for the size of the earthquake. The event was classified as a tsunami earthquake due to the discrepancy between the size of the tsunami and the relatively low surface wave magnitude.[5] The large-scale destruction prompted the creation of the Seismic Sea Wave Warning System, which became the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center in 1949.[6]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1946_Aleu ... earthquake
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I did find that interesting. And I remember learning about that tsunami when we were in Hilo.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

much ado

Post by much ado »

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Cool!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

:think:

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

The genetic history of Aboriginal Australians

2016 22 Sept

It remains debated how Australia was initially populated and how changes in language and culture in the continent happened. Australia contains some of the oldest archaeological evidence of modern humans outside Africa dating back to about 50,000 years. Still about 90% of Aboriginal Australians speak languages belonging to a single linguistic family that dates back no more than a few thousand years. The first population genomic studies on Aboriginal Australians published in this week’s Nature provide some of the answers.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

posted a few years earlier
Newly discovered Aboriginal genome study rewrites history | Research breakthroughs at Murdoch Uni
2011 23 Sept

An international team of scientists have just published findings that re-interpret the history of our species. The study, published in journal Science, details how a lock of hair donated by a West Australian Aboriginal man around a hundred years ago was used to sequence a full genome, revealing a new twist in the tale of humankind's dispersal across the world.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

RTH10260

Re: Hijack This Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Coool!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, my dad taught me to sail when I was a boy. Can't wait for him to wake up so I can show him that. 8-)
Out from under. :thumbsup:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Really neat!
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Abandoned 17th Century Hogwarts Castle ~ Everything Left Behind!

24 Apr 2022

Exploring abandoned places is my hobby and finance it all out of my own pocket and the donations I get from the people who love watching the documentaries we make... A small donation would be greatly appreciated! ► https://www.patreon.com/brosofdecay

Today we will explore a derelict castle that found its origins in the 17th century, a time when France was still ruled by kings and queens, that said this used to be a residence of the former king of France. He used it as a holiday home until the township got furious at him and invaded his place, after which he never returned to this imminent beauty. Decades went by without anyone stepping foot inside, this was until the Family La Roch decided to secure the place and save it from its forthcoming death, the castle had survived its first abandonment. The family lived here for centuries and left their fingerprints all over the place, countless precious antiques and artifacts, endless memories, and history to write books about being left behind. The last resident was the entitled Madeleine, she passed away around the year 1990 and there was no one left after her to protect this beauty from its second round of abandonment, the castle has deteriorated fast and is most likely not savable anymore, let us go inside and show you the remains of what used to be a place of greatness…
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

That villa was awfully clean and tidy for having been abandoned for decades. Plaster falling off walls? Where did it go? The bedroom looked like it was ready to receive guests. Where is the evidence of vermin?

I call complete shenanigans.

Yes, I'm sure it hasn't been used for years, but somebody most definitely looking after the place and staging it for filming. Should we expect it will show up on one of those 'escape to the country' derelict building makeover programs?
Has everybody heard about the bird?
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

I also think the filming was staged and scripted. This was not the first visit the guy made, a "urban explorer" video looks different.About clean and tidy, the place was used into the 1990s, and after the death of the last owner there might still have been a short period of maintenance. As long as roofs and window remain intact decay will be slow. The French country side is not where youths go for vandalism and spraying.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

pjhimself

Post by pjhimself »

I’ll cross that bridge when I come to it:

Return to “General Stuff”