Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Recipes

Phoenix520
Verified:

Re: Recipes

Post by Phoenix520 »

I wasn’t sure about this recipe, but now its one of my faves. Today I made a double batch because mr520 thinks it will make an interesting pot pie.

Turkey Chili
Olive oil or butter
1 lb ground turkey
1 can white beans
1 med onion
2-yr choice cloves of garlic
4 oz can diced green chiles
1 1/2 cup corn (frozen tastes best)
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/4 tsp cayenne
1 tsp salt
4 cups chicken broth
1/2 brick cream cheese
Lime juice

Brown turkey, remove from pan
Add a little butter, melt, add corn to pan, cook for a few minutes on high-med high, to char the kernels, remove. Scrape the bottom to get the brown bits loose
Sauté onions, then garlic and green chiles, add spices. Sauté, Stir until soft
Slowly add broth, bring to boil, reduce to simmer
Put 1/2 of the beans in a bowl and mash
Add corn, turkey, cream cheese, beans whole and mashed, to broth mixture stir
Bring to boil, reduce, simmer until cream cheese is melted. Stir often
You can serve now or let the flavors marry a little more.
Just before serving, squeeze some lime juice in and stir.

There’s a Stroganoff taste to this chili. :biggrin:
busterbunker

Post by busterbunker »

One trick for dishes like that is using Mexican oregano rather than regular oregano, It's a whole different taste and plant. Random link: https://www.mexicanplease.com/what-is-mexican-oregano/

If your grocery store has a little Mexican section where they sell the dried chilis, you can usually find it there, labeled simply Oregano. Like a dollar for a little bag. Apologies if you already knew this.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

I live in LA. ;) The $.99 spice rack everywhere is massive.

No need to apologize for that general FYI. :kiss:
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Attachments
CCBB's2.png
CCBB's2.png (282.3 KiB) Viewed 1002 times
CCBBs.jpg
CCBBs.jpg (99.78 KiB) Viewed 1002 times
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Oh wow. I just LOVE Chocolate Chip Blondies. All that brown sugar! :lovestruck:
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

PSYCHEDELIC BIRTHDAY CAKE

(NO, IT DOESN'T HAVE DRUGS.) (unless you add your own, for which I assume no responsibility)

Make a white cake according to the instructions until you have finished making the batter.

Divide the batter into six bowls (or however many) and use food coloring to give each bowl a different color. Then layer the colors in the pan ... ooh, that's trippy, man!

No photos, I'm a lot older than I was when I made these. :blackeye:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Foggy wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:47 am PSYCHEDELIC BIRTHDAY CAKE
Updated for current decade -

Betty Crocker Rainbow Cake
Rainbow Cake.jpg
Rainbow Cake.jpg (76.85 KiB) Viewed 790 times
humblescribe
Verified:

Post by humblescribe »

Phoenix520 wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:32 am :rotflmao:
Never fail to crack me up, bf.

Did you know mangos are related to poison oak?
A little late to the party:

Too also cashews and pistachios.

http://regenerag.org/anacardiaceae

One of the tragedies with fighting brush fires out here in California is that the poison oak goes up in flames. The urushiol vaporizes and can be inhaled by firefighters. Those who have violent contact dermatitis outbreaks do not want to inhale these vapors.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

I didn’t know that about cashews and pistachios
Off Topic
Our first home together was a 1919 owner-built cottage in the foothills. Through serendipity and probably karma and maybe also synchronicity, we met Raydia, the daughter of the builder.

Raydia’s hostess gift (she’s from New Zealand and stayed with us while in the States) was an epistolary history of our house and her family.

After coming from Ireland to America on a spiritualist tour Sophie and Guy settled in the San Gabriel foothills and started their family. At 8.5 months pregnant, Sophie somehow contracted systemic poison oak. She was very sick.

One week before Raydia was born it vanished *POOF* no more poison oak. BUT one week after the birth it came roaring back and she died within days. Guy returned , broken hearted, to Ireland but since Sophie was a literal Princess and he her footman, her family wanted him to give Raydia up to be raised like Sophie. He fled to NZ with 6 month old Raydia instead.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Back when I was 30 and could eat pretty much anything without gaining weight, I used to make this potato dish that was really decadent. Fried potato cubes, parmesan, garlic, cheddar, bacon, sour cream (I know - it’s a heart attack on a plate). Even back then it was one of those things I could only eat about once a year, though, and I haven’t made it at all in the last 20.

I was thinking about it today and how much I’d really love to have some, but now I’m allergic to most of the ingredients and I’m really trying to stay away from things like potatoes. So I found a substitute for every single ingredient, and it is every bit as delicious (and not nearly as unhealthy) as the original.

So here goes:

The original called for diced potatoes, fried golden brown. Substitute: Diced cooked chicken breast.

The original fried diced potatoes were then coated in a mixture of parmesan cheese and garlic powder (fresh garlic is probably better, but I never have it on hand). Substitute: Fake vegan parmesan cheese crumbs made from cashews and nutritional yeast (couple of handfuls in a food processor, then added nutritional yeast - maybe a teaspoon or two - and a little salt — I just eyeballed it). Spray the chicken with pam or add a little vegetable or olive oil, and toss it in a bowl with the fake parm and garlic.

Then stir in shredded vegan cheese. I use Daiya brand because that’s the only kind I can get in this backwater town, but there are better vegan cheeses on the market. I used fake mozz because that’s what I had, but I would have used fake cheddar.

I can eat turkey bacon so I fried up some of that in my air fryer and crumbled it in.

Since the chicken is already cooked (I *always* have cooked chicken breast on hand - I get it already cooked at Costco), I just nuked it til the cheese melted (about three minutes).

Served it with Kite Hill vegan sour cream. This is THE BEST vegan product on the market - I *cannot* tell the difference.

Mmmmm… cheesy garlicky baconey… I don’t miss the potatoes at all, and chicken tastes like whatever you cook it in.

I didn’t add up the macronutrients because I didn’t measure anything. But even though there are carbs in the vegan substitutes, it’s nowhere near what’s in a potato. And I get between 20 and 30 grams of protein in the chicken, which I didn’t get in the original.

And it was SO delicious.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Whoa, that sounds awesome, Maybenaut.
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Volkonski
Verified:

Recipes

Post by Volkonski »

When the Days Grew Shorter, Samp Was on the Menu for Colonial East Enders

https://www.cutchoguenewsuffolkhistory. ... qtK3DWso4g
Many of us remember learning that the Indians taught the Pilgrims how to grow corn, by burying fish to fertilize it, and planting seeds over the fish. We were also taught that this was a big part of why those first settlers were able to make it through their early winters. It’s likely when the first 40 families landed on Founders Landing in Southold, not much corn was being grown on the North Fork at that time, but it was readily available through trade with New England. The local Indians kept large stores of this traded corn.

So the North Fork settlers more than likely came with the knowledge of how to grow corn, but the local Indians are said to have shown them a way to process it, creating a more palatable corn product: samp.

In olden times, Samp was often pounded in a primitive and picturesque Indian mortar made of a hollowed block of wood or a stump of a tree, which had been cut off about three feet from the ground. The pestle was a heavy block of wood shaped like the inside of the mortar and fitted with a handle attached to one side. This block was fastened to the top of a young and slender tree, a growing sapling, which was bent over and thus gave a sort of spring that pulled the pestle up after being pounded down on the corn. This was called a sweep and mortar mill. As samp is a dried food, it can be stored indefinitely, providing a staple winter food for early residents. Samp cooked alone is called samp. It is called samp porridge when it is cooked as a main dish with meat and vegetable. Early colonists would keep a stew of samp cooking for several days on the fire since refrigeration wasn’t an option, and the heat would keep any meat in the stew from spoiling. In time, the samp porridge would develop a crust around the pot that would taste like popped corn. This crust would be broken off and given to children as a treat.
For the purpose of this article I cooked a samp porridge. My family’s custom was to have ham on New Year’s day, which meant there was always a hambone in the dead of winter to use for samp. I didn’t have a ham bone, so I used what was on hand, a ham steak. On this cold November night, my recipe for Samp Porridge looked like this:

• 1 cup of dried samp (soaked overnight)
• 1 large sweet potato
• 2 medium potatoes
• 1 medium turnip
• 2 Rutabagas
• 1 onion
• 5 medium carrots
• 1 large parsnip
• 2 Knorrs ham bullion cubes
• Ground pepper to taste
• fresh parsley
• 1 teaspoon Bell seasoning
• 2 ham steaks
• 8 cups of water
Dice onions and sautee in the bottom of a soup pan until translucent or caramelized. Cut up all root vegetables. (although I cut mine smaller, most people cut them up the size they would for stew.) Add water, root vegetable and all other ingredients to pan. Simmer for at least an hour. Broth will become thick and glossy, as if you had added cornstarch.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
humblescribe
Verified:

Recipes

Post by humblescribe »

As an aside to the neat story about samp:

Our digestive systems cannot absorb the B vitamin niacin in unprocessed corn. (See the horrible outbreaks of pellagra in Spain and other parts of Europe after the conquistadores took maize back to Spain after their New World conquests.)

You see, the natives in Mexico, Central America, and South America would boil the kernels in a pot of ashes. This basic (as opposed to acidic) solution broke down the protection in the kernels that prevented our bodies from absorbing the niacin. Hence, the native people never suffered from pellagra.

This process is called nixtamalization. Nixtamalization continues to this day with commercial corn mills for masa, grits, and hominy--corn that we wind up consuming directly. Only they use sodium hydroxide or another base instead of ashes.

Keep this in your back pocket for when you appear on Jeopardy!
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
MN-Skeptic

Recipes

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Since my sweetie passed away four years ago, I've mostly microwaved my meals. That gets boring though. When I visited my sister-in-law this fall, she said how much she loved her air fryer, so I decided to buy one. It just came today, but I'm not sure what to cook in it. Can any of you suggest a good website for air fryer recipes? Or any good cookbooks for air fryer recipes? The less complicated, the better.
Volkonski
Verified:

Recipes

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
AndyinPA
Verified:

Recipes

Post by AndyinPA »

I've just ordered my third air fryer, although this new NInja does a lot of other things,too. An air fryer is actually pretty easy to use. Here are a few websites I've used, but I pretty quickly got used to winging it.

https://www.everydayfamilycooking.com/a ... beginners/

https://www.allrecipes.com/gallery/begi ... r-recipes/

All Recipes is a go-to for me for a lot of recipes.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/best-easy ... rs-5212612

Spruce almost anything is another site I like.

Baked potatoes are awesome in an air fryer.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Patagoniagirl

Recipes

Post by Patagoniagirl »

My mom got me a micro/convection/air fryer and as an old cook and baker....I am in LOVE. We did scratch fries, wings, and bread. Absolutely fabulous! Now, I'm an idiot who skims instructions. This was easy.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Recipes

Post by Kriselda Gray »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:00 pm Since my sweetie passed away four years ago, I've mostly microwaved my meals. That gets boring though. When I visited my sister-in-law this fall, she said how much she loved her air fryer, so I decided to buy one. It just came today, but I'm not sure what to cook in it. Can any of you suggest a good website for air fryer recipes? Or any good cookbooks for air fryer recipes? The less complicated, the better.
Air fryers are essentially convection ovens. When our standard oven broke down last year, we couldn't afford a new range, so we got an air fryer instead. We use it to cook pretty much anything we'd cook in the regular oven like baked chicken, pizza, fries, small roasts and casseroles. Because of they way they work, air fryers cook things faster, so when following recipes or cooking instructions on packaged foods, we either cut the cooking time *or* the temperature by about 15%. It will likely take some fiddling around and experimenting with cooking times and temps to get a good feel for it.
MN-Skeptic

Recipes

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Thanks! Those are enticing recipes to look through.

I think I'll buy a couple of chicken thighs first and try cooking them. I bought a smaller air fryer - 7" square basket - but that should be fine for the quantities I want to cook.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Recipes

Post by AndyinPA »

Good luck! Enjoy.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Phoenix520
Verified:

Recipes

Post by Phoenix520 »

I made taquitos tonight in the Ninja air fryer. I used up the turkey, then the mashed potatoes, then some barbacoa. Served with guacamole and a salad. So easy, so good, not greasy.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Recipes

Post by neonzx »

Phoenix520 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:22 am I made taquitos tonight in the Ninja air fryer. convection countertop oven. I used up the turkey, then the mashed potatoes, then some barbacoa. Served with guacamole and a salad. So easy, so good, not greasy.
FIFY
Sorry, pet peeve.You are not frying anything in these things. You are baking. :P

p.s. Where the recipe for this meal? I need instructions. :biggrin:
tek

Recipes

Post by tek »

Air fryers are slightly different from a 'convection countertop oven' in that the air velocity is much higher in an air fryer.

But yes, they are still a convection oven.

My daughter bought my 92-year-old newly-widowered dad an air fryer to make it easier for him to cook for one.
He's only had it a week, and he loves it.

His favorite thing so far is potatoes: "I slice them 1/4 inch thick and use the 'french fry' setting"
It has become his go-to for reheating things like pizza, meatloaf, etc.

Funny side note: the first time my dad ever went to a Mexican restaurant was after my mom died in september; we took him to a new and very good place nearby. He decided that quesadillas are "pretty tasty!" .. Daughter is going to go over and teach him how to make them in the air fryer, "the easiest thing on the planet to make"
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Recipes

Post by Kriselda Gray »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:08 pm Thanks! Those are enticing recipes to look through.

I think I'll buy a couple of chicken thighs first and try cooking them. I bought a smaller air fryer - 7" square basket - but that should be fine for the quantities I want to cook.
When we cook meat in the air fryer/convection oven, we always use a thermometer in the meat and cook to the desired internal temperature, rather than cooking by time. For chicken, it has to be cooked to a minimum of 170 degrees to make sure it's safe. We usually don't cook it much beyond that and it has been the tenderest, juiciest, most flavorful chicken I've ever had! And it works great on beef, too. (Beef temps depend on how well-done you want it)

Have fun with your fryer. Once you get more used to it, I think you'll find it's really handy for a lot of things!
sugar magnolia

Recipes

Post by sugar magnolia »

I just decide what I want to cook then plug 'what I want to cook air fryer' into the google. You'll get a million recipes and you can just pick the one that looks best to you. I also plug in a list of ingredients on google if I have stuff I'm trying to use up. I've stumbled across some fantastic recipes by just searching for ingredients with no specific dish in mind.

Return to “General Stuff”