Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Recipes

Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Recipes

Post by Kriselda Gray »

I just came across an article le about healthy cooking in an air fryer that has some suggestions and mentions some cookbooks. I couldn't see the gift link, so this is the regular link. If you can't read it let me know and I'll go look again for the gift link.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wellness ... fast-food/
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Recipes

Post by neonzx »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:56 am I just came across an article le about healthy cooking in an air fryer that has some suggestions and mentions some cookbooks. I couldn't see the gift link, so this is the regular link. If you can't read it let me know and I'll go look again for the gift link.
Not air fryer. Oven. Ovens cook healthy by default. Baking, not frying.

So wild some marketing genius scammed the masses with the air fryer label. Don't buy the hype (yes, I have counter-top convection oven -- convenient vs heating up the big oven -- but it's not frying anything).
sugar magnolia

Recipes

Post by sugar magnolia »

Is there a point to arguing semantics about what some small appliance company chooses to call their product?
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Recipes

Post by Kriselda Gray »

neonzx wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:01 am
Kriselda Gray wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:56 am I just came across an article le about healthy cooking in an air fryer that has some suggestions and mentions some cookbooks. I couldn't see the gift link, so this is the regular link. If you can't read it let me know and I'll go look again for the gift link.
Not air fryer. Oven. Ovens cook healthy by default. Baking, not frying.

So wild some marketing genius scammed the masses with the air fryer label. Don't buy the hype (yes, I have counter-top convection oven -- convenient vs heating up the big oven -- but it's not frying anything).
Yeah, I know they don't fry - and I refer to them more often as ovens than fryers. I used fryer here because that's what the article used and how the person I was mainly aiming the post at has been referring to hers.
neonzx

Recipes

Post by neonzx »

sugar magnolia wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:00 am Is there a point to arguing semantics about what some small appliance company chooses to call their product?
Absolutely. :biggrin:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Recipes

Post by AndyinPA »

My microwave is also a convection oven, but I don't use it that way. It's installed above the cook top. I'm short, so very afraid of getting burned taking anything out of it when it's used this way. I wish I could, but I think it's dangerous to me. But I really appreciate an air fryer, or whatever anyone wants to call it. I'm looking forward to my new one, the Ninja Flip.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
neonzx

Recipes

Post by neonzx »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:56 am
Yeah, I know they don't fry - and I refer to them more often as ovens than fryers. I used fryer here because that's what the article used and how the person I was mainly aiming the post at has been referring to hers.
Back before that terrible mislabel happened and it exploded everywhere on TV, there was a TV product called the NuWave oven. It's a domed convection oven with the plus of an "infrared" heating element -- this product goes back decades.

Now I never tested one of these units out on the "infrared" cooking claim/ability... but it also had a fan meaning it was convection, too -- so "Air Fryer" by todays language.

NuWave is still in business and I believe their domed oven are called Fryers now, too.
neonzx

Recipes

Post by neonzx »

AndyinPA wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:53 pm My microwave is also a convection oven, but I don't use it that way. It's installed above the cook top. I'm short, so very afraid of getting burned taking anything out of it when it's used this way. I wish I could, but I think it's dangerous to me. But I really appreciate an air fryer, or whatever anyone wants to call it. I'm looking forward to my new one, the Ninja Flip.
A relative of mine about 15 or so years ago had a new newfangled microwave that was like that. I think he paid $1,000 for it. You were even allowed to put metal in it. How bizarre. And the instruction manual was thick-- needed a degree to work this thing. LOL

Me: Where is the popcorn button? -- Oh, okay, I'm good.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Recipes

Post by AndyinPA »

neonzx wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:59 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:53 pm My microwave is also a convection oven, but I don't use it that way. It's installed above the cook top. I'm short, so very afraid of getting burned taking anything out of it when it's used this way. I wish I could, but I think it's dangerous to me. But I really appreciate an air fryer, or whatever anyone wants to call it. I'm looking forward to my new one, the Ninja Flip.
A relative of mine about 15 or so years ago had a new newfangled microwave that was like that. I think he paid $1,000 for it. You were even allowed to put metal in it. How bizarre. And the instruction manual was thick-- needed a degree to work this thing. LOL

Me: Where is the popcorn button? -- Oh, okay, I'm good.
Yep. There's even a metal shelf to put in it when using as a convection oven.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
MN-Skeptic

Recipes

Post by MN-Skeptic »

The more upscale toaster ovens have had the convection capability for years. When air fryers became popular, they started adding "air fryer" to their names, i.e. Air Fryer Toaster Oven. I looked at the details of one of the ovens and they've gone so far as to have two speeds available for the convection oven air circulation, which does make them closer to the action of a dedicated air fryer.
neonzx

Recipes

Post by neonzx »

Here is how you can adapt any conventional oven recipes. No special "AF" recipes needed. (but they will gladly sell you cookbooks)
How to convert recipes from the conventional oven to the air fryer

When converting a recipe from the conventional oven to the air fryer, follow these steps:

Note the oven temperature and cooking time in the recipe you’re following

Reduce the temperature by 25 degrees F and set your air fryer to that temperature

Reduce the cooking time by 20% and set the timer on your air fryer

Start checking your food at the halfway mark to check for doneness. If your food is getting too dark, reduce the temperature by another 25 degrees. 

To check for doneness, use a meat thermometer. 
Done. You have successfully baked your meal. Enjoy!

https://thefoodiephysician.com/easy-ove ... -air-fryer
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Recipes

Post by keith »

Weve got a countertop toaster oven with an airfryer setting. We use this oven for everything. We use the big oven maybe 1 once a year at most.

Ive never figured out what the airfryer was for, but I do think the wire basket works well on frozen fish, if you put a piece of baking paper under it.

My go to 'special purpose' appliance is a slow cooker. That is something I couldnt live without.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
neonzx

Recipes

Post by neonzx »

keith wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:02 pm My go to 'special purpose' appliance is a slow cooker. That is something I couldnt live without.
Have to go with you there. When it comes to a special cooking appliance, a slow cooker is awesome. It needs no babysitting. And they are incredibly simple in design (yeah, there are appliance manufactures that try to smash in things as other functions, beyond a slow cooker -- but just a standalone slow cooker will do you well -- even if you can't pressure cook -- then air fry -- then dehydrate -- then pulverized your food in one computerized programmed button choice).

And the advanced computer keypad will glitch immediately after the warranty period. And you have to start all over.

:violin:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Recipes

Post by AndyinPA »

neonzx wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:13 pm
keith wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:02 pm My go to 'special purpose' appliance is a slow cooker. That is something I couldnt live without.
Have to go with you there. When it comes to a special cooking appliance, a slow cooker is awesome. It needs no babysitting. And they are incredibly simple in design (yeah, there are appliance manufactures that try to smash in things as other functions, beyond a slow cooker -- but just a standalone slow cooker will do you well -- even if you can't pressure cook -- then air fry -- then dehydrate -- then pulverized your food in one computerized programmed button choice).

And the advanced computer keypad will glitch immediately after the warranty period. And you have to start all over.

:violin:
I agree on the slow-cooker. I just bought a new one as my old one was starting to burn over a lot of the pot. I wanted it before Thanksgiving as that's where I cook my dressing. Last year, I had burned dressing. This year, perfection!
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Recipes

Post by Kriselda Gray »

keith wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:02 pm Ive never figured out what the airfryer was for, but I do think the wire basket works well on frozen fish, if you put a piece of baking paper under it.
The basket lets the air circulate around the whole surface of the piece of food being cooked. If you've got something you want to "fry", having the air get to the whole surface makes it more evenly crispy. Most things about using an air fryer that I've seen recommend spritzing foods you want to "fry" with a bit oil. You don't want to to use much, but most foods fried the traditional way will have a bit of a taste of the oil they're cooked in, and the spritzing can kinda replicate that taste.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Recipes

Post by RTH10260 »

AndyinPA
Verified:

Recipes

Post by AndyinPA »

Wow! Rich and boozy. I can feel my arteries hardening already. But I love eggnog, and that looks great!
RTH10260

Recipes

Post by RTH10260 »

RTH10260

Recipes

Post by RTH10260 »

I will not be held responible for the overcrowding of the Virtual Drunk Tank :boxing:
RTH10260

Recipes

Post by RTH10260 »

More fancy stuffed things ;)

John Thomas8

Recipes

Post by John Thomas8 »

tek

Recipes

Post by tek »

sugar magnolia wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:00 am Is there a point to arguing semantics about what some small appliance company chooses to call their product?
Well, this IS the Internet...
neonzx

Recipes

Post by neonzx »

tek wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:03 am
Well, this IS the Internet...
Well, if I argue anti-semantics, will I be banned from Twitter? :confuzzled:
(asking for a friend)
RTH10260

Recipes

Post by RTH10260 »

Beware when the mighty powers-to-be have phone calls among themselves ;)

:think: Elon! pls take the Red Phone - we have a rooster at the other end :cantlook:
RTH10260

Recipes

Post by RTH10260 »

Lately there was a discussion about air fryers, The Guardian did hear you ...
It’s official – air fryers can save you money. But there are even cheaper ways to cook
They are selling out as soon as they hit the shelves. So can the kitchen appliances really live up to the hype?

Mon 5 Dec 2022 15.38 GMT

Name: Air fryers.

Age: The Airfryer brand was introduced by Philips in 2010, while the term began to be used generically in about 2018.

I’ve been hearing a lot about them recently. Yes, in past year they have become the kitchen appliance, selling out as soon as they are restocked, flying off the shelves like … well, air-fried cakes.

You can’t really make a cake in one, can you? You can. They are small convection ovens, which circulate hot air at high speed. They’re also used to simulate deep frying; making food crisp, without having to submerge it in oil.

So the food’s healthier? Yup, less fat means fewer calories. Healthier on the pocket, too.

more at the link ... https://www.theguardian.com/food/2022/d ... ys-to-cook

Return to “General Stuff”