Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Fire!

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Re: Fire!

Post by RTH10260 »

news reporter

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Dixie Fire makes history. :(
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Easy to forget the fires in the west what with so much other news.
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

Volkonski wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:26 pm

Easy to forget the fires in the west what with so much other news.
One of my friends lived in that area growing up. She reported this morning that her old farm had been burned to the ground.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

johnpcapitalist
Verified: ✅ Totally legit!

Post by johnpcapitalist »

Volkonski wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:50 pm The Caldor Fire, which ignited Saturday near Sacramento, exploded from 6,500 acres to 53,772 acres in less than 24 hours, Cal Fire says.
This one is particularly concerning. It's in the Sierra foothills east of Sacramento. It's in a relatively sparsely inhabited area, but it is only a few miles east of more populous places like Shingle Springs and Placerville. My uncle and aunt moved up there 40 years ago from Los Angeles when it was still quite rural (only a handful of visible houses in their little valley), but the area where they live is now completely built up and is essentially a suburb of Sacramento. A high percentage of the land west of there is now dense surburban development going all the way in to Sacramento.

According to the most recent CalFire maps, the western edge of the Caldor fire is about 6 miles from Placerville (pop. ~10,000) and about 10 miles from Shingle Springs (pop. ~10,000+). If the fire continues to grow quickly and head west, we're looking at it starting to get into the suburbs. Economic damages could be extraordinary if they can't stop it. But they may very well not have enough fire fighters to get the job done even if they pull resources off of other fires in more rural areas. We could be headed for a Hurricane Sandy-like disaster if the fire crews don't catch a break.
FiveAcres

Post by FiveAcres »

I have a relative in El Dorado Hills. :crying: :crying: :crying:
Avatar was a photo I took by Killary Fjord in 2005. Killary Fjord is in Northern Connemara, Ireland.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Wildfires still raging in the west.
FiveAcres

Post by FiveAcres »

I was talking to my relative in El Dorado Hills this morning and she mentioned that the Caldor fire was the top firefighting priority right now. I was like "Yeah. I remember when Waldo Canyon was the top priority." (Big fire on the west side of the Springs in 2012.) I was at a friend's house watching when the Waldo Canyon fire come down into the Mountain Shadows subdivision, which was due south of where I lived but quite a distance from my friend's place. My friend looked at me and said "I think we should start bringing your horses here now." The Air Force Academy was between the fire and our property, but I wasn't sure they would be able to hold it if it made a run north. (AFA actually does a great job of mitigation, but the Waldo Canyon fire was behaving unpredictably.)

Next year, the Black Forest fire, on the northeast side, said "Hold my beer." I watched that one from my deck and my friend's horses stayed in my south pasture for the duration.

I think those two fires still hold the record for property loss in Colorado.
Avatar was a photo I took by Killary Fjord in 2005. Killary Fjord is in Northern Connemara, Ireland.
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Image Image Image Image
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

This isn't good. A good part of the Tahoe basin now under evacuation order or warning.

Image Image Image Image
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

FiveAcres

Post by FiveAcres »

Since this is the top fire-fighting priority in the US, it has very experienced, senior people in charge. "More aggressive than anticipated" is bad.

ETA: Red flag conditions are forecast on Monday and Tuesday.
FiveAcres

Post by FiveAcres »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... vacuations

Photo credits in article:

Triple-digit temperatures were possible and the extreme heat was expected to last several days. A red flag warning for critical fire conditions was issued for Monday and Tuesday across the Northern Sierra.

The blaze that broke out on 14 August was 19% contained after burning nearly 245 square miles (635 sq km), an area larger than Chicago. More than 600 structures had been destroyed and at least 18,000 more were under threat.

The Caldor fire has proved so difficult to fight that fire managers pushed back the projected date for full containment from early this week to 8 September. Even that estimate was tenuous.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

FiveAcres

Post by FiveAcres »

Volkonski wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:51 pm
Apparently the fire made quite a run eastward yesterday and possibly continued even overnight. I was looking at a map this morning of the closest part of the fire to South Tahoe Lake residential areas and it is only about eight miles. On a red flag day that is no distance at all. The residential areas look heavily timbered.
FiveAcres

Post by FiveAcres »

Red Flag Warning has been extended through 11pm Wednesday, Sep 1.

Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

The fire reached the Sierra at Tahoe ski resort, and they turned their snow machines on to try to slow it down.
Estiveoshot_20210830_174358.jpg
Image Image Image Image
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Ok, give them an "A" for originality but they really should have been getting the heck out of there.
somerset

Post by somerset »

South Lake Tahoe this afternoon from the north shore
Attachments
3772E91C-88FA-4B44-AE61-21846963D078.jpeg
3772E91C-88FA-4B44-AE61-21846963D078.jpeg (241.61 KiB) Viewed 2584 times
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Some good news.
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

But piss poor writing.
Image Image Image Image
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Return to “Whatever Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”