Fire!

Volkonski
Verified:

Re: Fire!

Post by Volkonski »

Bears! Everywhere! Lookout! Lookout!
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

I can see the air traffic control towers of O'Hare from my office at my day job (well, when I was there and not working 10 feet away from my couch). When their fire department would practice putting out fires, or some other fire happened in some neighborhood between our place and O'hare, I was got a little worried, at least at first.
101010 :towel:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://apnews.com/article/fires-enviro ... 65a9f73c4c

CASTIAC, Calif. (AP) — A wildfire near Castaic Saturday has led to the closure of a part of a major freeway in Southern California, officials told local media.

The fire, known as the Route Fire, reached 392 acres, or a little more than half a square mile, as of 6:28 p.m. and forced the shutdown of a section of Interstate 5, an Angeles National Forest spokesperson told KTLA-TV.

KTLA reported that the Route Fire is threatening structures, according to the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department Santa Clarita Valley station.

The fire was uncontained as of 6:30 p.m., authorities said.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:crying:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

AndyinPA wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:46 pm:crying:
+1000
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
northland10

Post by northland10 »

While the official cause of the fire remains under investigation, it is believed to have been started by a pressure washing machine in the gutter system of the Superdome’s roof.
https://theathletic.com/news/portion-of ... =twitterhq

Um.. my water pump caught fire.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

I hate this topic.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Fire danger continues.

Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Our 45mph wind last night didn’t help.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

pipistrelle wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:53 am I hate this topic.
Me too. The valley we face has had a layer of smoky haze all summer long from the fires 2,000 miles away. It’s a daily reminder to me to send positive vibes to the folks out west for the crap they’re having to deal with.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-58887760
At least 46 people have been killed and dozens more seriously injured in a fire at a 13-storey tower block in southern Taiwan, officials say.

A residential and commercial building in the city of Kaohsiung caught fire in the early hours of Thursday morning, the local fire department said.

It took firefighters more than four hours to extinguish the blaze.

The fire department told the BBC that 79 people had been taken to hospital, including 14 in a serious condition.

The cause of the fire is unclear and investigators are at the scene.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

USNI News -

Long Chain of Failures Left Sailors Unprepared to Fight USS Bonhomme Richard Fire, Investigation Finds
A cascade of failures – from a junior enlisted sailor not recognizing a fire at the end of their duty watch to fundamental problems with how the U.S. Navy trains sailors to fight fires in shipyards – are responsible for the five-day blaze that cost the service an amphibious warship, according to an investigation into the July 2020 USS Bonhomme Richard (LHD-6) fire reviewed by USNI News.

The investigation into the fire aboard Bonhomme Richard, overseen by former U.S. 3rd Fleet commander Vice Adm. Scott Conn, found that the two-year-long $249 million maintenance period rendered the ship’s crew unprepared to fight the fire the service says was set by a crew member.

“Although the fire was started by an act of arson, the ship was lost due to an inability to extinguish the fire,” Conn wrote in his investigation, which was completed in April and reviewed by USNI News this week. “In the 19 months executing the ship’s maintenance availability, repeated failures allowed for the accumulation of significant risk and an inadequately prepared crew, which led to an ineffective fire response.”

Beyond the ship, Conn concluded that training and oversight failures throughout the fleet – from Naval Sea Systems Command, U.S. Pacific Fleet, Naval Surface Force Pacific Fleet and several other commands – contributed to the loss of the $2 billion warship. Conn singled out 36 individuals, including five admirals, who were responsible for the loss of the ship due to either their actions on July 12 or lack of oversight leading up to the alleged arson.
A lot of detail about the fire at the above article.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:(
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Wildfire prompts evacuations near Rocky Mountain National Park
The Kruger Rock Fire is burning near Hermit Park southeast of downtown Estes Park, about 90 minutes outside Denver.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/wi ... d_nn_tw_ma
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

First they got flooded now comes a fire. :(

northland10

Post by northland10 »

Somebody replied that the elk would end up in a residential area and probably die. Somebody else replied that elk and their elk, hang out in Estes Park all of the time (I have seen this myself). They're safe there.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

northland10 wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:51 am

Somebody replied that the elk would end up in a residential area and probably die. Somebody else replied that elk and their elk, hang out in Estes Park all of the time (I have seen this myself). They're safe there.
There’s an elk herd of about 700 in north central Pennsylvania that hang out in towns and people’s yards. They seem to be okay.

Return to “Whatever Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”