Great Lakes Shipping History

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Michigan researchers find 1914 shipwrecks in Lake Superior

KATHLEEN FOODY
Wed, April 12, 2023 at 7:26 PM GMT+2

CHICAGO (AP) — Michigan researchers have found the wreckage of two ships that disappeared into Lake Superior in 1914 and hope the discovery will lead them to a third that sank at the same time, killing nearly 30 people aboard the trio of lumber-shipping vessels.

The Great Lakes Shipwreck Historical Society announced the discoveries this month after confirming details with other researchers. Ric Mixter, a board member of the society and a maritime historian, called witnessing the discoveries “a career highlight.”

“It not only solved a chapter in the nation’s darkest day in lumber history, but also showcased a team of historians who have dedicated their lives towards making sure these stories aren’t forgotten,” Mixter said.

The vessels owned by the Edward Hines Lumber Company sank into the ice-cold lake on Nov. 18, 1914, when a storm swept through as they moved lumber from Baraga, Michigan, to Tonawanda, New York. The steamship C.F. Curtis was towing the schooner barges Selden E. Marvin and Annie M. Peterson; all 28 people aboard were killed.

The society's team found the wreck of the Curtis during the summer of 2021 and the Marvin a year later within a few miles of the first discovery. The organization operates a museum in Whitefish Point and regularly runs searches for shipwrecks, aiming to tell “the lost history of all the Great Lakes” with a focus on Lake Superior, said Corey Adkins, the society's content and communications director.

“One of the things that makes us proud when we discover these things is helping piece the puzzle together of what happened to these 28 people,” Adkins said. “It’s been 109 years, but maybe there are still some family members that want to know what happened. We’re able to start answering those questions.”

Both wrecks were discovered about 20 miles (32 kilometers) north of Grand Marais, Michigan, farther into the lake than the 1914 accounts suggested the ships sank, Adkins said. There was also damage to the Marvin's bow and the Curtis' stern, making researchers wonder whether a collision contributed, he said.

“Those are all questions we want to consider when we go back out this summer,” Adkins said.

Video footage from the Curtis wreckage showed the maintained hull of the steamship, its wheel, anchor, boiler and still shining gauges — all preserved by Lake Superior’s cold waters, along with other artifacts.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/michigan-res ... 16365.html
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

RTH10260 wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:56 pm

KATHLEEN FOODY

CHICAGO (AP) — Michigan researchers have found the wreckage of two ships that disappeared into Lake Superior in 1914 and hope the discovery will lead them to a third that sank at the same time, killing nearly 30 people aboard the trio of lumber-shipping vessels.

:snippity:

My first reaction was... that's a lot of shipwrecks. :o :lol:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Of the estimated 10,000 shipwrecks in the Great Lakes region, only about 350 of them are located in Lake Superior. Of those, about 50 wrecks are presumed to be within Minnesota waters. Most of Minnesota's shipwreck history can be found in Lake Superior.
https://www.mnhs.org/splitrock/learn/sh ... 20Superior.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

18. Lake Erie has experienced more shipwrecks and sinkings than any other Great Lake. It has recorded more sinkings than the Bermuda Triangle.
https://www.goerie.com/story/lifestyle/columns/2022/06/03/great-lakes-facts-erie-huron-michigan-ontario-superior-shipwrecks-shoreline/65356053007/
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Eerie. :batting:
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

**insert song, The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald (Gordon Lightfoot)
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

neonzx wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:46 pm **insert song, The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald (Gordon Lightfoot)
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

We attended a lecture on this ship and shipwrecks on the Great Lakes on the Great Lakes cruise last fall. It was fascinating.

I would guess there are so many wrecks on Erie because it's so shallow.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

I've been to the museum on Whitefish point. Beutiful location, great museum, nice lighthouse site and an important bird sanctuary all wrapped up in one.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Volkonski wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:04 pm
Of the estimated 10,000 shipwrecks in the Great Lakes region, only about 350 of them are located in Lake Superior. Of those, about 50 wrecks are presumed to be within Minnesota waters. Most of Minnesota's shipwreck history can be found in Lake Superior.
So how did they find 1914 wrecks in Lake Superior if there's only 350 of them there?
Has everybody heard about the bird?
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Volkonski wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:04 pm
So where is the 'rest' of Minnesota's shipwreck history?
Has everybody heard about the bird?
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:01 pm
RTH10260 wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:56 pm

KATHLEEN FOODY

:snippity:

My first reaction was... that's a lot of shipwrecks. :o :lol:
Ok folks. Read the headline. Read the first paragraph. My point was that this was a poorly written headline. TWO shipwrecks from the year 1914 were discovered.

Edited - Or maybe you did understand my post and so I apologize for this rant.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

AndyinPA wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:51 pm We attended a lecture on this ship and shipwrecks on the Great Lakes on the Great Lakes cruise last fall. It was fascinating.

My understanding is the shallow waters make the waves more intense and break more. I think there were sometimes issues with boats getting too near the shore or a river outlet and scraping the bottom. They would keep going while taking on water.

It is also a matter of traffic. Along you Erie you had Detroit, Toledo, Cleveland, and Buffalo. You also had ore ports like Ashtabula and Conneaut where boats would drop MI/WI/MN iron ore for steel plants in Warren, Youngstown, and the Pittsburgh area. Lorain also had heavy steal works along with the shipbuilding.

Lake Michigan had Milwaukee down to Chicago and Northern Indiana, along with lumber ships lumbering up and down but not nearly the concentration of Erie.
101010 :towel:
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

northland10 wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:34 am
AndyinPA wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:51 pm We attended a lecture on this ship and shipwrecks on the Great Lakes on the Great Lakes cruise last fall. It was fascinating.

My understanding is the shallow waters make the waves more intense and break more. I think there were sometimes issues with boats getting too near the shore or a river outlet and scraping the bottom. They would keep going while taking on water. :snippity:
Yes, Erie is the shallowest of the Great Lakes. I lived in the Cleveland area for more than 20 years. I had a relative with a boat (sailboat 24ft, nothing big). Storm comes up?, we all returned to the marina and had beers dock side.
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

This channel has many GL stories:

https://www.youtube.com/@BigOldBoats
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Great Lakes liner fails the floating task:

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Thanks, I watched most of the video. The presenter peddles the line that the SOLAS rules for more lifeboats developed after the Titanic sinking contributed to the Eastland capsizing.

I call that nonsense. As he says, the Eastland was unstable because it had too high a center of gravity, and that was the situation when it was built and was exacerbated by later changes. Yes, adding more lifeboats was one of the later contributing factors to its instability but no, the critical problem was not the extra lifeboats, it was all the other misplaced weight before then.

It's to do with metacentric heights … but probably most people aren't interested, so it's under a spoiler tag.
► Show Spoiler
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I was interested. Thanks.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Another year, no answers. Hearts out to the families of the 29.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Watch until the end.

John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

I was fortunate enough to see Gordon play this live back 2018. It still got to him, you could see it that he still cared deeply about those 29 men.
qbawl

Post by qbawl »

pipistrelle wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:51 pm Watch until the end.

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.

Return to “General Stuff”