Tupperware

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Tupperware

Post by RTH10260 »

Tupperware warns it could go bust without emergency funding
Shares in US firm have fallen almost 50% this week and stock exchange says it is in danger of being delisted

Rupert Neate
Tue 11 Apr 2023 19.18 BST

Tupperware, the American plastic food container business founded by the chemist Earl Tupper 77 years ago, has predicted it will go bust unless it can raise emergency funds.

Shares in the Massachusetts firm, which became famous in the 1950s and 1960s when mostly women held “Tupperware parties” to sell its plastic containers with patented “burping” seal, crashed almost 50% this week after it told investors there was “substantial doubt about the company’s ability to continue as a going concern”.

The company, which benefited from a boom in demand during the pandemic as people stayed at home, has seen its shares drop by 95% over the past 12 months as it struggles to match more innovative storage competitors who promote their products to younger people on TikTok and Instagram.

Tupperware said it would not have enough cash to fund its operations unless it could secure additional funding in the coming days. The company said it was considering making jobs redundant and selling some of its real-estate portfolio to try to save money.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... cy-funding
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Tupperware

Post by neonzx »

Funny. I remember my step-momster hosting one of those parties. I was kinda little.

I thought Tupperware was already long gone by now.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Tupperware

Post by Foggy »

Never went to a Tupperware party. Lingerie party, yes. :biggrin:
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
neonzx

Tupperware

Post by neonzx »

Foggy wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:19 am Never went to a Tupperware party. Lingerie party, yes. :biggrin:
Okay, Donald. :mrgreen:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Tupperware

Post by Foggy »

Off Topic
Oh man, when I worked for the small SoCal branch of the big national law firm, we had a secretary who drove the nicest car of anybody in the shop: a brand new gold Mercedes Benz. Her husband and her boyfriend couldn't buy her enough stuff, she was so drop-dead gorgeous and sexy. They also wouldn't let her get any work done, and we eventually had to let her go. Great beauty like that can be a handicap as much as a blessing. She made Kim Basinger look rather plain, and her voice was the sexiest voice I ever heard. :shock:

So, umm ... yeah. Her lingerie party is still a treasured memory. :biggrin:
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
Dr. Ken

Tupperware

Post by Dr. Ken »

Tupperware parties isn't that where you leave your keys in a bowl? :biggrin:
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Tupperware

Post by bill_g »

The Tupperware sales model was another get-rich-quick scheme that didn't work as advertised. Mrs tried it. We spent months paying down the debt. I am not heartbroken the company is faltering.
neonzx

Tupperware

Post by neonzx »

bill_g wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:48 am The Tupperware sales model was another get-rich-quick scheme that didn't work as advertised. Mrs tried it. We spent months paying down the debt. I am not heartbroken the company is faltering.
Yeah, wasn't it essentially a MLM scam? I was only 10yo then but it seemed messed up. Like Amway? :lol:
MsDaisy
Verified:

Tupperware

Post by MsDaisy »

I still have Tupperware in my cupboards and I still use it :thumbsup:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Tupperware

Post by AndyinPA »

Maybe Betsy can buy the company. My mother never had any Tupperware, by my MIL had a ton of it. I had some, but it’s long gone.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Tupperware

Post by Shizzle Popped »

I think my dad still has a couple of Tupperware containers in his cabinets. That stuff has to be over 40 years old, which is impressive. We don't spend a ton of money on storage containers as ours have a tendency to grow legs and walk away, never to be seen again. We're mostly using IKEA 365 containers which are reasonably inexpensive and seal well.
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
Dr. Ken

Tupperware

Post by Dr. Ken »

You guys ever figure out how to wash them after having spaghetti sauce in them?
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
MN-Skeptic

Tupperware

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Tupperware's headquarters aren't that far from Orlando, Florida, so both times my husband and I visited Disney World, we also traveled to Kissimmee and did the Tupperware tour. I don't remember a whole lot about the tour except for the demo kitchen whose cupboards were filled with Tupperware products. The tour guide would give you some small Tupperware item at the end of the tour. I only remember the travel salt & pepper shakers we got. I ended up giving them to my sister to use in her camper.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Tupperware

Post by Foggy »

Dr. Ken wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:18 am You guys ever figure out how to wash them after having spaghetti sauce in them?
No, I never did. I think the trick is to let the spaghetti sauce cool all the way down before you put it in the Tupperware. I think what causes it is the sauce melts the plastic and then the container cools with sauce mixed with the plastic.

But once your plastic container has tomato sauce baked in, there's no way to get it out, because your pitiful sad excuse for dish soap isn't gonna melt the plastic again and then run some sorta sophisticated chemical separation process to get the sauce out.

Ask me a hard one next. 8-)
tek

Tupperware

Post by tek »

You can buy Tupperware of the shelf at Target.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Tupperware

Post by Phoenix520 »

Ive been to a Tupperware Party. It was a blast!!

When Sprout was in pre-school we did all kinds of things to raise money for the school. One of the moms found out that Phranc, a local musician, was selling Tupperware on the side and threw a party. I can tell you now, the secret to selling lots of Tupperware is wine and a funny lady.
The 2001 documentary film, Lifetime Guarantee, directed by Lisa Udelson, chronicled Phranc's side job as a Tupperware demonstrator and manager. The documentary showed that despite Phranc's high sales and high-profile,[12] her enthusiastic and sincere approach to the job, and her engaging manner and popularity among the sales force, Phranc was disappointed to find that the Tupperware corporation itself did not celebrate or even acknowledge her genuine achievements in sales and marketing for the company. Phranc was still selling Tupperware in 2008,[13] but as of 2013 her online store was closed.[14]
She sold - get this -$3000 worth just on that night. Phranc was the momdad of the queer punk scene in LA and the highest grosser for Tupperware in the county.

It was a really fun night. I’d do it again.
neonzx

Tupperware

Post by neonzx »

Phoenix520 wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:45 pm Ive been to a Tupperware Party. It was a blast!!
:snippity:

She sounds interesting, I guess. But it was the wine and her personality that was focus. Not the plastic containers.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Tupperware

Post by Maybenaut »

The only tupperware item I still have left is a little egg separator. I use it fairly frequently.
AB3BE83E-BFE3-4DA0-956F-FEDCA34765B2.jpeg
AB3BE83E-BFE3-4DA0-956F-FEDCA34765B2.jpeg (131.42 KiB) Viewed 1936 times
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Tupperware

Post by bill_g »

neonzx wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:00 pm
Phoenix520 wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:45 pm Ive been to a Tupperware Party. It was a blast!!

She sounds interesting, I guess. But it was the wine and her personality that was focus. Not the plastic containers.
All sales is. You either have the gift, or you don't, and most people don't.
jez
Verified: ✅ Medicated

Tupperware

Post by jez »

I loved teh orange peelers. I would go to a party if I could just get one of those. :)

And yes, I briefly sold tupperware, mostly online parties. And yes, it's a pyramid scheme. They try to get you to recruit so you can "move up" in the ranks. You get a cut of their sales, or something.

Didn't care. Did it mostly for the pieces I got, which weren't as well made as the one my Mom had. Still great, but not as good.
“What is better ? to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort ?”

~Paarthurnax
neonzx

Tupperware

Post by neonzx »

jez wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:30 pm I loved teh orange peelers. I would go to a party if I could just get one of those. :)
I amagonna let you in on a secret. An orange can be peeled without a tool from a pyramid scheme marketing company. Totally true.. I can teach you for free. :mrgreen:
somerset

Tupperware

Post by somerset »

neonzx wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:16 pm
jez wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:30 pm I loved teh orange peelers. I would go to a party if I could just get one of those. :)
I amagonna let you in on a secret. An orange can be peeled without a tool from a pyramid scheme marketing company. Totally true.. I can teach you for free. :mrgreen:
Eggs can be separated in your hand too, but that's a chef's sekrit ;)
neonzx

Tupperware

Post by neonzx »

somerset wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:28 pm
neonzx wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:16 pm
Eggs can be separated in your hand too, but that's a chef's sekrit ;)
That is doable, but there is a better way.

On oranges, I keep them whole and bite into the rind --like an apple. Am I weird? :?
Phoenix520
Verified:

Tupperware

Post by Phoenix520 »

Yes :P
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Tupperware

Post by northland10 »

bill_g wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:58 pm
neonzx wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:00 pm

All sales is. You either have the gift, or you don't, and most people don't.
I sold Cutco knives for a month. I decided at that time that I really hated direct sales and am not well motivated by "see how rich I got." I did not have the gift.

I still have my demo set 30+ years later and I still love them. I think I may pick up one or two more pieces (including the shears I lost in a move). They are expensive as these things go, but they last, unless you lose them in a move.

I wonder if Neonzx was had a bad experience with Tupperware as a child.
101010 :towel:

Return to “Economy”