John Karl Fetterman - US Senator PA - Stroke, Depression, Recovery

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I think we could wear pants to school in kindergarten, but at some point girls had to wear dresses. If I remember right, that finally changed in 1970 as I was going into my senior year of high school. The principal stated that we were there to learn. What we wore was just not that important. If you remember the fashions at that time, very short skirts were in fashion. So all the NE Iowa farm girls stood out in the freezing cold, waiting for their bus, just because of some stupid dress code.

I elected my Senator to represent my interests and to be an effective advocate for these policies in Congress. I couldn't care less what she (Minnesota senators are female) wears! Moreover, I would be upset if she used valuable time in Congress chiding other senators for clothing choices.

Good grief.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Annnnnd scene!

:clap: :clap: :clap:
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

What repeatedly comes to my mind vis a vis the Fetterman dress code:

"Cleanliness, Cap'n Keller, is next to nothin!."

Virtual roses to the first person who identifies the quote!
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:36 pm I think we could wear pants to school in kindergarten, but at some point girls had to wear dresses. If I remember right, that finally changed in 1970 as I was going into my senior year of high school. The principal stated that we were there to learn. What we wore was just not that important. If you remember the fashions at that time, very short skirts were in fashion. So all the NE Iowa farm girls stood out in the freezing cold, waiting for their bus, just because of some stupid dress code.

I elected my Senator to represent my interests and to be an effective advocate for these policies in Congress. I couldn't care less what she (Minnesota senators are female) wears! Moreover, I would be upset if she used valuable time in Congress chiding other senators for clothing choices.

Good grief.
I understand your pain, in Catholic school, even in my era, girls had to wear skirts, and back then GA had an actutal winter...
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

In my school the School Uniform was girls wearing skirts too. But they came with Tights so warm that a Canadian blizzard wouldn't get through.
Hic sunt dracones
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

AndyinPA wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:52 pm
raison de arizona wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:32 pm https://twitter.com/SenFettermanPA/stat ... 22038?s=20
Senator John Fetterman @SenFettermanPA wrote: If those jagoffs in the House stop trying to shut our government down, and fully support Ukraine, then I will save democracy by wearing a suit on the Senate floor next week.
Jagoff = true Pittsburghese insult, roughly translating to jerk.
Is that where I got it from? I had completely forgotten my introduction to that lovely insult.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://wapo.st/3ZrMcS6

Gifted

Flexibility, day by day by day — they had always been easy concepts for Gisele. She was 7 years old when she moved from Brazil to New York with her mother, Ester. They were undocumented and uninsured. Ester was a nutritionist in Brazil. In New York, she was a house cleaner. She learned English in four months by watching television. Then she learned to clip coupons, searching the trash outside newsstands each night, so her family would have coupons for tomorrow. She applied for citizenship in Portugal, the country where her husband at the time was born, so her family would have a Plan B, in case they were deported. Adaptation was a necessity. Ester could jump to Plan B in a second.
We know her pretty well here, but this is a pretty good introduction, if a little long.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

What’s good for the goose…
IMG_5829.png
IMG_5829.png (339.29 KiB) Viewed 704 times
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
tek

Post by tek »

I'm sure Rand Paul is equally effective no matter how he dresses.
W. Kevin Vicklund

Honestly, not a bad look for him.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

It reminds me of when Our Parliament started getting Televised. People joked that they had never seen some people wearing a suit in their oves but they suddenly turned up. Before they had apparently been in Teeshirts and Jeans.

Honestly, men are too restricted in their fashions. As long as you are neat and tidy there is nothing wrong with turning up in something other than a suit.

If I was in the Senate I would turn up in a tan bathrobe and say hi to Rand, "Hi! Remember when Obama wore this colour!"
Hic sunt dracones
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

raison de arizona wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 4:50 pm What’s good for the goose…
IMG_5829.png
Is the similarity to the "Handmaid's Tale" intentional?
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Are going to do what he wants, and be "triggered?" I'd be more horrified if he was mocking real women who are forced to wear Burkas and be Circumcised, rather than fictional ones.
Hic sunt dracones
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

IMG_5829.png
I think the difference is that the other side cares about how he introduces legislation, votes, etc., rather than how he dresses.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
W. Kevin Vicklund

sugar magnolia wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:14 pm
IMG_5829.png
Honestly, I thought the red was because he's Republican, but that could be a bonus reference.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

W. Kevin Vicklund wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:19 pm
IMG_5829.png
Honestly, I thought the red was because he's Republican, but that could be a bonus reference.
I thought it’s because how Republicans see women.

(Haven’t read book.)
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

I was thinking he was going for the Buddhist monk look and just couldn't find the right color.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Yikes, I meant cartoon, not Rand Paul.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

IMG_5829.png
I doubt it. Rand Paul doesn't strike me as that perceptive
raison de arizona

Sen. John Fetterman, others, introduce bill to cancel all school lunch debt
Author: Leah Hall
Published: 3:38 PM EDT September 25, 2023

WASHINGTON D.C., DC — Three U.S. Senators have introduced a bill that would cancel student lunch debt across the nation.

Senator John Fetterman, alongside Sens. Sheldon Whitehouse (D-RI) and Peter Welch (D-VT), introduced the "School Lunch Debt Cancellation Act" last week.

“‘School lunch debt’ is a term so absurd that it shouldn’t even exist," Sen. John Fetterman said in a press release. "That’s why I’m proud to introduce this bill to cancel the nation’s student meal debt and stop humiliating kids and penalizing hunger."

“It’s time to come together and stop playing political games with American’s access to food. September is Hunger Action Month and I’m proud to be introducing this bill to help working families now, while we work to move our other priorities to combat food insecurity in our nation," he continued.
:snippity:
https://www.fox43.com/article/life/food ... 937a073625
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

:bighug:
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

The USA used to be generous in helping raise the next generation perhaps on the idea that a well fed educated population was good for everyone.

During the 12 years I was in public school in the 50s and 60s a school lunch cost 25 cents. Or you could bring your lunch and buy a half pint bottle of milk for 2 cents.

Yes, there has been a lot of inflation since then but $1.25 for a week's school lunches was something most everybody could afford. Even the poorest might manage 10 cents a week for milk.

These meals were heavily subsidized by the Federal government.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
raison de arizona

Volkonski wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:56 am The USA used to be generous in helping raise the next generation perhaps on the idea that a well fed educated population was good for everyone.

During the 12 years I was in public school in the 50s and 60s a school lunch cost 25 cents. Or you could bring your lunch and buy a half pint bottle of milk for 2 cents.

Yes, there has been a lot of inflation since then but $1.25 for a week's school lunches was something most everybody could afford. Even the poorest might manage 10 cents a week for milk.

These meals were heavily subsidized by the Federal government.
According to CBSNews, the average price now is $2.75-$3 per lunch meal, $1.80ish for breakfast. FWIW.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... steel-sale
Senator John Fetterman vows to block ‘outrageous’ $14.9bn US Steel sale

The US senator John Fetterman has vowed to block the multibillion-dollar sale of US Steel to the Japanese company Nippon Steel, calling the potential deal “outrageous”.

The former mayor of the south-west Pennsylvania town of Braddock, which is home to a major US Steel plant, Fetterman has long advocated for the rights of American steel workers and positioned himself as a pro-union Democrat.

In the video posted to X and taken from the roof of his house in Braddock, which overlooks the plant, Fetterman criticized the proposed $14.9bn sale, decrying US Steel for selling themselves “to a foreign nation and company”.

“Steel is always about security,” Fetterman said. “And I am committed to anything I can do, from using my platform or my position, in order to block this.

Return to “Current Politics”