Cinema Paradiso - a celebration of movies

bob

Post by bob »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 2:58 pm Cillian Murphy who portrays Oppenheimer has been one of my favorite actors since I saw him in "Intermission" twenty years ago. I have enjoyed watching his career path.
Murphy is fun in Peaky Blinders, but my favorite of his is The Wind that Shakes the Barley, which is about the Irish War of Independence and the following civil war.
Image ImageImage
Grumpy Git
Verified:

Post by Grumpy Git »

bob wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 3:07 pm Murphy is fun in Peaky Blinders, but my favorite of his is The Wind that Shakes the Barley, which is about the Irish War of Independence and the following civil war.

The Wind That Shakes the Barley is a very good film, as you'd expect from the brilliant Ken Loach. :thumbsup:
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Oh man. I've been looking forward to Oppy for quite a while. I haven't seen it yet.

But there was a review in the paper today that absolutely trashed it from top to bottom. They liked Nolan's direction, but not his writing.

I hope I don't regret reading that hit job.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Grumpy Git
Verified:

Post by Grumpy Git »

keith wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 1:07 am Oh man. I've been looking forward to Oppy for quite a while. I haven't seen it yet.

But there was a review in the paper today that absolutely trashed it from top to bottom. They liked Nolan's direction, but not his writing.

I hope I don't regret reading that hit job.
Ignore the reviews, some just can't handle films that treat their audience with some intelligence, and which take their time setting up the stall. Nolan's done it brilliantly. Plus some of them give away some of the familiar faces that turn up in cameos, spoils the fun surprises! :thumbsup:

Best to read the reviews after you've seen it. :biggrin:
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

I plan to get out to see it this sometime this weekend. I read the book and thought it was really well written.

Last night I finally saw Sisu. Felt a little Tarantino like even though it wasn't him. Very violent and action packed. Main character doesn't talk most of the movie
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
Grumpy Git
Verified:

Post by Grumpy Git »

Revisited Fred Schepisi's excellent The Chant of Jimmie Blacksmith (1978, BFI Player), still a shocking tale of colonial racism and its consequences. Tommy Lewis is excellent as Jimmie & always good to see Australian greats such as Jack Thompson, Ray Barrett and Bryan Brown.
Grumpy Git
Verified:

Post by Grumpy Git »

Thought I'd check out one of William Castle's early films, Voice of the Whistler (1945). It's a curio, only 60 mins long, swerves erratically between feelgood drama & film noir, with Welsh actor Rhys Williams offering the worst Cockney accent since Brion James in Tango & Cash. 🤣
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

"The Whistler" was a series of movies that were very loosely connected by the presence of a shadowy figure called The Whistler, who narrated parts of the story. In a sense they were Film Noir Stage plays on screen. Very good stuff if you are into that kind of thing.

According to Wiki this was the 4th of 8 movies. WIki also says it was based on a series of radio plays that ran from 1942 to 1955.
Hic sunt dracones
Grumpy Git
Verified:

Post by Grumpy Git »

Suranis wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 10:28 am "The Whistler" was a series of movies that were very loosely connected by the presence of a shadowy figure called The Whistler, who narrated parts of the story. In a sense they were Film Noir Stage plays on screen. Very good stuff if you are into that kind of thing.

According to Wiki this was the 4th of 8 movies. WIki also says it was based on a series of radio plays that ran from 1942 to 1955.
Yeah I read up about it afterwards. I could have sworn The Whistler's voiceover was Vincent Price, but it's credited to Otto Forrest.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Suranis wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 10:28 am "The Whistler" was a series of movies that were very loosely connected by the presence of a shadowy figure called The Whistler, who narrated parts of the story. In a sense they were Film Noir Stage plays on screen. Very good stuff if you are into that kind of thing.

I've heard most of the radio plays. Didn't know there were movies. The radio opening is somewhat eerie.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Off Topic
This has become a really interesting thread, Grumpy Git. I'm so glad you joined us. :bighug:
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

pipistrelle wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 10:56 am I've heard most of the radio plays. Didn't know there were movies. The radio opening is somewhat eerie.
I'm the opposite. I've seen all the movies but had no idea there were Radio plays.
Hic sunt dracones
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Someone compiled the radio programs, with the old ads. The first 40 seconds are their intro, then it gets into the programs.
realist

Post by realist »

I love old radio shows. Growing up, we had no TV (until I was 14-ish)so we listened to radio for news and entertainment. I've always thought it was a great thing that with shows like these (and even like the Fibber McGee & Molly-like ones that you had to use your imagination and picture in your head what people and scenery looked like.

But then the first time I actually saw Jack Benny he looked nothing like I had pictured and I can remember being aback at Captain Kangaroo's appearance. :biggrin:

And still love these. My favs. :biggrin:
"Come in... Welcome..."
CBS Radio Mystery Theater
https://www.cbsrmt.com/
Image X 4
Image X 32
Grumpy Git
Verified:

Post by Grumpy Git »

Foggy wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 11:01 am
Off Topic
This has become a really interesting thread, Grumpy Git. I'm so glad you joined us. :bighug:
How very kind of you Foggy! What can I say? Love watching and chatting about films! :biggrin:

Watched another one last night, Ring of Spies (1964), a pretty decent British spy story based on a real case, starring Bernard Lee, who played M in the early James Bond films.
F1wcBCJWcAA9aAe.jpg
F1wcBCJWcAA9aAe.jpg (109.17 KiB) Viewed 721 times
F1wcGikWAAEUD1p.jpg
F1wcGikWAAEUD1p.jpg (320.96 KiB) Viewed 721 times
F1v8lSvXwAEfbhw.jpg
F1v8lSvXwAEfbhw.jpg (162.96 KiB) Viewed 721 times
bob

Post by bob »

Image ImageImage
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

At lunch today (very upscale oyster bar) at the table to our left, 4 golfers in town for a charity tournament who appeared to range from 40s to 80s were discussing how much they enjoyed seeing Barbie last night. An older father and son were at the table to our right, also discussing how much they enjoyed it. The son mentioned Oppenheimer and said he'd get around to seeing before summer was over.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

A 'young' friend from our croquet club is doing the 'Full Barbieheimer' tonight. Barbie AND Oppenheimer on the same night. 6 hours worth.

Ahhh, the stamina of youth.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
bob

Post by bob »

keith wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:36 am A 'young' friend from our croquet club is doing the 'Full Barbieheimer' tonight. Barbie AND Oppenheimer on the same night. 6 hours worth. .
I have several friends doing that.

The already filthy rich studios must be loving this free viral marketing.

At least it is pissing off the "Sound of Freedom" touters.
Image ImageImage
Grumpy Git
Verified:

Post by Grumpy Git »

Latest films watched.

A 2nd look at Bill Forsyth's Comfort & Joy (1984), I adore Gregory's Girl (1980) & Local Hero (1983) and here Bill Paterson's great (as always), with fun support from Patrick Malahide & Clare Grogan + music from Mark Knopfler, but halfway through, the script sags badly. A pity.

First watch of Good Vibrations (2013), a thoroughly enjoyable true story, featuring a superb lead performance from Richard Dormer, as record-store owner Terri Hooley who launched Belfast's punk rock scene in the 70s. Jodie Whittaker is delightful too + a terrific soundtrack.

Revisited the comedy western Support Your Local Sheriff (1969), not seen since my youth. It's a good chuckle, thanks to William Bowers pun-filled script, with the cast inc James Garner, Joan Hackett, Jack Elam, Henry Morgan & Bruce Dern, all delivering plenty of laughs.
Grumpy Git
Verified:

Post by Grumpy Git »

One new film and a couple of revisits over the last few days.

Nomadland (2020) moved me greatly. I've been through some nomadic periods & still disconnected from 'the family unit', so I completely related with the main character's preference for solitude mixed with the company of strangers. Superb performances, cinematography & music.

Revisited an old favourite last night, Lifeforce (1985), a sci-fi/horror film full of laughable dialogue, ludicrous scenes, and a daft plot involving space vampires - I still bloody love it! The ultimate drinks & popcorn experience, just switch off your brain & enjoy the ride!

Enjoyed a rewatch of Fire In The Sky (1993), one of the better 'alien abduction' films out there. Always nice to see James Garner again, even if it's in a minor role, but I'd forgotten how good Robert Patrick is in this + the terrifying finale on board the alien spaceship.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

“Support Your Local Sheriff “ is one of our favorites. Hubby was just quoting from it this morning. It was the first film produced by James Garner’s Cherokee Productions. He was an Oklahoma resident with Cherokee heritage.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Grumpy Git
Verified:

Post by Grumpy Git »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 6:39 pm “Support Your Local Sheriff “ is one of our favorites. Hubby was just quoting from it this morning. It was the first film produced by James Garner’s Cherokee Productions. He was an Oklahoma resident with Cherokee heritage.
I need to track down Support Your Local Gunfighter (1971), I see it has a different writer, so is it as funny?

I know it's different characters, but with some of the same actors, so worth a punt I reckon. :biggrin:
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

It was a total disappointment. Great actors. Lousy, slow script.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Grumpy Git
Verified:

Post by Grumpy Git »

Always a delight to revisit a Marx Brothers film, so had a good laugh watching A Night In Casablanca (1946) @TPTVEncore. Some great one liners & inspired lunacy, including a brilliant scene with the villain trying to pack away his swag, but the lads keep moving it around.

Return to “Arts, Music, Photography, and stuff like that”