Sleep an hour, live two hours longer.

busterbunker

Post by busterbunker »

I've been telling people this for years. For every extra hour you sleep, you live two hours longer. That's a no-brainer. Straight out of Bukowski. I made enough noise to get them to conduct a study. Yesterday it hit the mainstream airwaves. Finally! Thank you!

Getting Good Sleep Could Add Years to Your Life
https://www.acc.org/About-ACC/Press-Rel ... -Your-Life
Researchers assessed five different factors of quality sleep using a low-risk sleep score they created based on answers collected as part of the survey. Factors included: 1) ideal sleep duration of seven to eight hours a night; 2) difficulty falling asleep no more than two times a week; 3) trouble staying asleep no more than two times a week; 4) not using any sleep medication; and 5) feeling well rested after waking up at least five days a week. Each factor was assigned zero or one point for each, for a maximum of five points, which indicated the highest quality sleep.

“If people have all these ideal sleep behaviors, they are more likely to live longer,” Qian said. “So, if we can improve sleep overall, and identifying sleep disorders is especially important, we may be able to prevent some of this premature mortality.”

For the analysis, researchers controlled for other factors that may have heightened the risk of dying, including lower socioeconomic status, smoking and alcohol consumption and other medical conditions. Compared to individuals who had zero to one favorable sleep factors, those who had all five were 30% less likely to die for any reason, 21% less likely to die from cardiovascular disease, 19% less likely to die from cancer, and 40% less likely to die of causes other than heart disease or cancer. Qian said these other deaths are likely due to accidents, infections or neurodegenerative diseases, such as dementia and Parkinson’s disease, but more research is needed.

Among men and women who reported having all five quality sleep measures (a score of five), life expectancy was 4.7 years greater for men and 2.4 years greater for women compared with those who had none or only one of the five favorable elements of low-risk sleep. More research is needed to determine why men with all five low-risk sleep factors had double the increase in life expectancy compared with women who had the same quality sleep.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

If that's accurate, I'll live to be 400. Even a year out from chemo, I'm still sleeping a minimum of 12 hours a day. They tell me that can last as long as 5 years. If I'm out and about for more than a few hours in a day I sleep even more. A full day of out and about knocks me out for a couple of days.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

"I slept a lot and lived five extra years!"

"Yeah, and what did you do with the extra time you were alive?"

"I just told you. I slept through it and missed anything that happened." :?
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Well, I'm doomed.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
jemcanada2

Post by jemcanada2 »

sugar magnolia wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:35 am If that's accurate, I'll live to be 400. Even a year out from chemo, I'm still sleeping a minimum of 12 hours a day. They tell me that can last as long as 5 years. If I'm out and about for more than a few hours in a day I sleep even more. A full day of out and about knocks me out for a couple of days.
It’s been 14 years since I had the chemo and radiation and I still sleep a lot. It could have something to do with being an insulin dependent diabetic too though. :shrug:

I should live to be 110 then :lol: :lol:

ETA which reminds me that Thelma will turn 13 tomorrow and become a terrible teen. :lol:

Thelma is my left implant that I got 13 years ago when I had a double mastectomy due to the breast cancer. Her twin, Louise, turns 13 in August. :lol: :lol:
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Slim Cognito wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:30 am Well, I'm doomed.
Same. 4-5 hours is all I get. Been that way for years. Fitbit says my sleep score ranges from low 70's to high 80's with occasional no-score days because of restlessness. The day's activities don't have a direct correlation to how much sleep I get. OTOH, since I've "retired", I get a daily afternoon nap right after lunch that ranges from thirty to ninty minutes. Those are generally refreshing if I'm allowed to wake naturally. If something like a phone call wakes me up, I'm dopey for a long while.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I'm a lifelong insomniac. My poor mother struggled with my sleep pattern from the day they brought me home from the "baby store.". If I got 4 broken hours in, I had a good night, and that was before hubs' cancer dx.

Also have lifelong restless legs syndrome. As a child I was considered precocious. Now they recognize it as a neurological condition.

If it wasn't for my medical MJ card, I wouldn't have made it this far.

ImageImageImage x4
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

With occasional exceptions, I've always slept long and well. And I feel physically ill if I am overly tired. If I get out of whack, I'll use over-the-counter or prescription sleeping pills for a few nights to get myself back on schedule, then I'm good again. When there was a cancer diagnosis of a family member that was tough to deal with, my doctor offered me tranquilizers. I said, give me some sleeping pills to take so that I can keep my act together for everybody during the day.

Also, I'm a night owl, always have been. Mornings (and the rest of the day) are pure torture when my grandson stays. He's up at 5 AM. My husband has started getting up with him, and as far as I'm concerned, he's got the job for the duration. I've done it between granddaughter and grandson for 13 years.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

I've been saying for years when I am in my cycle (there is probably a word for it), my body wants to shut down at 10:30pm and I can sleep through the night. And awake at 6:30 with no alarm feeling refreshed. I break that cycle (you won't see me posting at off hours if I did not). But, if you can get into that routine of sleep, you will be better for it.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

I forget what year, but a guy went down a tunnel with no sunrise or sunset for months, and he fell into a rhythm of 20 hours awake and 10 hours of sleep. He claimed that was the "natural" rhythm.

But we live on the surface of the planet, so the Sun does indeed control our sleep patterns. Think what life was like before Edison invented his little bulb.
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

Just turn on a TV in the evening and I’m gone in minutes. I’ve always been that way and that was a real pain in the ass when I was still running rescue squad thanks to some of my dearly beloved running partners. I’d be dead to the world and when the alarms went off for a call I’d wake up covered in chicken feathers or something obnoxious. Of course I was known to retaliate at times by tightly saran wrapping a car or two… :whistle:
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Falling asleep in front of the TV is a norm for me. It is for my father as well. If the time is right, I will even fall asleep during shows I actually want to watch. I've assumed it has something to do with turning off the brain a bit so you are not lying around thinking about 20 other things.

During some especially stressful times (around concerts and such), I have tossed around and then just turned on a TV, which often helped me sleep.
101010 :towel:
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I do have one hack, Alexa's white noise. I usually play thunderstorm or rain. It not only drowns out D's oxygen machine, i find myself listening to it instead of the 20 other things in my head. I guess it does the work of the tv but without words. If the tv is on, I find myself concentrating on the words.

ImageImageImage x4
northland10

Post by northland10 »

Some folks may put on light classical music, but that is one thing I cannot do. I tend to concentrate on the music. I listen deeper than most folks. This is one of the hazards of my vocation.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Funny some mention TVs. A medical professional years ago recommended I remove my bedroom TV. ( and all other electronics distraction) from my bed area. Those changes along with blackout curtains helped tremendously. Oh, too, also, these newer LED bulbs which can be scheduled to change color temp after dark much like our computers and handheld devices do. (the blue light spectrum does not foster sleep)
northland10

Post by northland10 »

For me, light is not an impact on my sleep. I have fallen asleep for an extended time with all the lights still on. What I have to quiet is the brain. The TV is the blackout curtain for my brain.
jez
Verified: ✅ Medicated

Post by jez »

I have difficulty falling asleep. Once I manage to fall asleep, you could run a drumline through the house and I wouldn't twitch. That said, I'm typically up by 7 am at the latest regardless of what time I fell asleep.

I have an appointment for a consult on a sleep study next month. This should be fun.
“What is better ? to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort ?”

~Paarthurnax
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

northland10 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:54 pm For me, light is not an impact on my sleep. I have fallen asleep for an extended time with all the lights still on. What I have to quiet is the brain. The TV is the blackout curtain for my brain.
Hey, results may vary. Whatever works for you.

I have an elder relative and when I was younger version of me would stay at his home. The TV would be blaring away in the living room and he is asleep. Numerous times I tried to lower the volume to a soft level and he would wake up startled. That all occurred decades ago. Now he tells us youngins he only needs 4 hours of sleep at night, but he doesn't mention that he is crashed out on his couch during the day with Newsmax on. :?
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

northland10 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:54 pm For me, light is not an impact on my sleep. I have fallen asleep for an extended time with all the lights still on. What I have to quiet is the brain. The TV is the blackout curtain for my brain.
That works for me, too.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

I had sleep issues growing up, but as an adult I've found a six pack of Guinness and a half shot of Nyquil gets me right where I need to be... :shrug:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Frater I*I wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:27 pm I had sleep issues growing up, but as an adult I've found a six pack of Guinness and a half shot of Nyquil gets me right where I need to be... :shrug:
I think that is called "pass-out drunk", not "sleep". :biggrin:
qbawl

Post by qbawl »

neonzx wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:44 pm
Frater I*I wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:27 pm I had sleep issues growing up, but as an adult I've found a six pack of Guinness and a half shot of Nyquil gets me right where I need to be... :shrug:
I think that is called "pass-out drunk", not "sleep". :biggrin:
Tomato Tomahto.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Does this mean I loose two hours of my life tonight cause Europe moves the clock forward by one hour to Central European Summer time :?: :confuzzled:

Return to “General Stuff”