Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Crazy Trumpers

Abandon reality, all ye who enter here. *Democracy*Under*Threat*
pipistrelle

Crazy Trumpers

Post by pipistrelle »

https://counter.social/@jjmacnab/109286503165128305

JJ MacNab
@jjmacnab
A Miami jury on Thursday convicted a Donald Trump supporter who was accused of shooting at two men in a dust-up that started over one of them flying a “Ridin’ with Biden” flag on his Jet Ski on Election Day 2020.

The six-person jury convicted Eduardo Acosta, 39, on charges of attempted murder, aggravated assault with a firearm and armed robbery. He faces up to life in prison, with a mandatory minimum of at least 20 years, when he is sentenced on Dec. 16.

Miami Herald article at the link.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Crazy Trumpers

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

That gives some hope for Elmer being convicted with a DC jury.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
pipistrelle

Crazy Trumpers

Post by pipistrelle »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 12:22 pm That gives some hope for Elmer being convicted with a DC jury.
Maybe. Apparently the jury didn't buy, "oopsie, the gun went off accidentally" defense. Will see what the grounds for appeal are going to be. Otherwise, he gets prison time because he couldn't stand to see someone with a Biden flag.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Crazy Trumpers

Post by raison de arizona »

pipistrelle wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 12:35 pm
Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 12:22 pm That gives some hope for Elmer being convicted with a DC jury.
Maybe. Apparently the jury didn't buy, "oopsie, the gun went off accidentally" defense. Will see what the grounds for appeal are going to be. Otherwise, he gets prison time because he couldn't stand to see someone with a Biden flag.
Ah, the answer to the question of why you don’t see Biden flags. #1 is of course that we are not a cult, but #2 is because Trumpers are crazy and stuff like this happens.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

Crazy Trumpers

Ron Filipkowski 🇺🇦 @RonFilipkowski wrote: At the Trump rally today, they talked about his work ethic as president: “He worked his butt off for years, averaging 6:00 AM mornings and 10:00 PM bedtime. He was up all day working crazy hours .. working on policy.”
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Phoenix520
Verified:

Crazy Trumpers

Post by Phoenix520 »

Policy? That’s not how you spell paybacks. Or shady shit. Which is all he ever did in office. Many Republicans have told us many times, they don’t do policy.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Crazy Trumpers

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://freedomofmind.com/the-definitiv ... -of-trump/
The Definitive Guide to Helping People in the Cult of Trump

Under the right circumstances, even sane, rational, well-adjusted people can be deceived and persuaded to believe the most outrageous ideas and leader. President Trump uses the same deceptive psychological techniques that cult leaders do (cult leader’s playbook) that influence his devoted followers’ behavior, information, thoughts, and emotions. Some people are also unwilling to entertain the idea that Trump displays the characteristics of a cult leader (malignant narcissism). Very concerning is that some are so fervently devoted, they have cut off relationships with any that do not believe the same way as them, including close friends and even family.

Do you have friends or family members who are believers in the Cult of Trump? If you are concerned about their well-being, stop arguing, calling them names or cutting them off. Respectful, warm, regular communication will be the bridge for them to start thinking rationally. The “bubble” will burst and reality will dawn. (This happened to me when I was a Moonie.)

As a mental health counselor and former cult member with over forty years of experience helping people leave and recover from destructive cults, I have developed some strategic and helpful techniques that I wish to share below. It is essentially the same advice I give to families of people in Scientology, the Moonies, white power groups and other mind-control cults.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Crazy Trumpers

Post by Phoenix520 »

Unfortunately, with some people, after 6 years of this nasty cultish behavior, their friends and families might not care anymore. I only had 1 in my in-law family ( he’s since seen the light) but after just 1 year I never wanted to see him again. It took over his whole being.
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Crazy Trumpers

Post by Ben-Prime »

Phoenix520 wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 11:13 am Unfortunately, with some people, after 6 years of this nasty cultish behavior, their friends and families might not care anymore. I only had 1 in my in-law family ( he’s since seen the light) but after just 1 year I never wanted to see him again. It took over his whole being.
Concur. For some people, this is who they are now. It's no longer about saving them.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Crazy Trumpers

Post by Frater I*I »

Ben-Prime wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 12:24 pm :snippity:
Concur. For some people, this is who they are now have always been. It's no longer about saving them.
That's better... ;)
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Suranis

Crazy Trumpers

Post by Suranis »

No. Sorry. That's the easy answer. Anyone can be swept up in cults like this.
Hic sunt dracones
June bug

Crazy Trumpers

Post by June bug »

Suranis wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 6:13 pm No. Sorry. That's the easy answer. Anyone can be swept up in cults like this.
I agree, Suranis. How many stories have we heard about relatives who’ve gotten sucked into the right wing media machine and changed completely?

And that’s not the only culprit. I have a family member whose troubled life was saved by joining a religious group. Sadly, that conversion also turned into a conversion to very right wing beliefs. While I’m grateful for the former, I weep for the latter.
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Crazy Trumpers

Post by Ben-Prime »

For me, the problem is scale. Scale changes everything.

There's an old joke, which I'm sure will offend at least one participant in this thread, that the only difference between a cult and a religion is the number of adherents it has. This joke works because it's true. Catholicism would be considered a cult if it consisted of a Pope, a Bishop, a couple of priests, and a few hundred followers; it's huge, so it lacks this issue.

We speak of Trumpism as a cult. But when Trumpism is even 20% of a party that is almost 50% of the United States -- and when you count the sympathizers, it's far more -- that literally means that 1 in 10 people in the United States are Trumpist. Then it's no longer a cult. It's larger than Judaism in the United States. It's a genuine religion.

The scale of dealing with it changes because it becomes far more difficult to isolate. Six years ago, five years ago, four years ago? I could see treating it like a cult -- the true believers were the same size or fewer, but the *sympathizers* were less fewer and less rigid. This is not the case anymore.

I no longer believe in 'saving' Trumpists because the scale has changed. Now, maybe the social realities of a global pandemic have also taught me that it's easier to isolate myself and bubble with a few trusted souls than be a social butterfly, but I no longer have the mental or emotional resources to bring myself to fight the larger scale and more difficult logistics of saving people against their will.

That's me, though. Other people can make that assessment of their own resources and inclinations.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
sugar magnolia

Crazy Trumpers

Post by sugar magnolia »

Ben-Prime wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 1:02 am For me, the problem is scale. Scale changes everything.

There's an old joke, which I'm sure will offend at least one participant in this thread, that the only difference between a cult and a religion is the number of adherents it has. This joke works because it's true. Catholicism would be considered a cult if it consisted of a Pope, a Bishop, a couple of priests, and a few hundred followers; it's huge, so it lacks this issue.

We speak of Trumpism as a cult. But when Trumpism is even 20% of a party that is almost 50% of the United States -- and when you count the sympathizers, it's far more -- that literally means that 1 in 10 people in the United States are Trumpist. Then it's no longer a cult. It's larger than Judaism in the United States. It's a genuine religion.

The scale of dealing with it changes because it becomes far more difficult to isolate. Six years ago, five years ago, four years ago? I could see treating it like a cult -- the true believers were the same size or fewer, but the *sympathizers* were less fewer and less rigid. This is not the case anymore.

I no longer believe in 'saving' Trumpists because the scale has changed. Now, maybe the social realities of a global pandemic have also taught me that it's easier to isolate myself and bubble with a few trusted souls than be a social butterfly, but I no longer have the mental or emotional resources to bring myself to fight the larger scale and more difficult logistics of saving people against their will.

That's me, though. Other people can make that assessment of their own resources and inclinations.
No argument from this quarter. When they truly go off the deep end into trumpism, there is no rational communication left with them. When there is no connection between reality and their beliefs and they simply spout lies with no logic behind them, where do you go from there other than just move on and leave them behind? I have no more use for those people in my life and have neither the time nor energy to spend dealing with them. Any group (I'm looking at you, anti-abortionists) who equates "right" with "volume" has already lost the battle as far as I'm concerned. I am too fucking old to spend one second on the willfully ignorant.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Crazy Trumpers

Post by Foggy »

I think it's a lot more than 1 in 10. I think more like 3 in 10.

The birther movement was like that, too also.

But both movements are fading now, I suspect. The Trump cult, religion, whatever you call it, is shrinking now. People know he stole national secrets and hid them from the government. People know that he lost the 2020 election.

Is he really gonna have a national campaign for president for 2024, and his campaign platform is "Reality is whatever I say it is" and you have to insist he won in 2020 to even be part of the campaign?

A lot of people are fucking crazy loons, but hopefully not that many.

Whether you call it a cult or a religion, it's based on white supremacy and Christian nationalism, and I will not tolerate either of those.

Birtherism doesn't explain 2020. Cult thinking doesn't explain it. White supremacy explains it. The fucking racists knew that if they voted for the racist turd, they'd be better off, and they are.
Out from under. :thumbsup:
jemcanada2

Crazy Trumpers

Post by jemcanada2 »

Frater I*I wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 2:53 pm
Ben-Prime wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 12:24 pm :snippity:
Concur. For some people, this is who they are now have always been. It's no longer about saving them.
That's better... ;)
They’re just saying the quiet part out loud now.
pipistrelle

Crazy Trumpers

Post by pipistrelle »

Foggy wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:10 am I think it's a lot more than 1 in 10. I think more like 3 in 10.

The birther movement was like that, too also.

But both movements are fading now, I suspect. The Trump cult, religion, whatever you call it, is shrinking now. People know he stole national secrets and hid them from the government. People know that he lost the 2020 election.
I wonder about this. Not that I pay much attention to the rallies, but I get the impression they're smaller and not as enthusiastic (and who knows how many are paid). I never understood the appeal of spending hours waiting in line, then listening to an unattractive human whine about me me me so unfair.
Suranis

Crazy Trumpers

Post by Suranis »

Ben-Prime wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 1:02 am For me, the problem is scale. Scale changes everything.

I actually agree with you to a certain extent. The other thing I would say is that the Catholic Church is not static. It has changed quite a bit since the start and has had a LOT of thinkers influence its doctrine over the couple of thousand years of its history. It certainly has changed from it's "cultish" origins.

Short rant spoilered.
► Show Spoiler
But anyway you simply cannot see the Catholic Church today without the thousands of years of history behind it, for good or bad. So just setting up a pope and a few hundred bishops and congregation simply wouldn't work.
Hic sunt dracones
AndyinPA
Verified:

Crazy Trumpers

Post by AndyinPA »

I quit trying to talk to them. And I had one (ex-)friend tell me that any discussion was off the table. "I will not talk about this with you." Screw it, and her.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Mr brolin
Verified: ✅ as vaguely humanoid

Crazy Trumpers

Post by Mr brolin »

Religion, Smerigion

I was brought up all high Episcopalian Anglo-Catholic, all the smells, all the bells, all them men in frocks, very little of the guilt. However did a fair bit of comparative religious studies, mostly to twit some of them Jesuit boys of my acquaintance......

I'm afraid to say we have moved well beyond the basic cult of personality here and into a far darker part of humanities belief system.

We've seen this all before I'm afraid this 20th century and before

Germany, twice
Italy at least once
Communist China and Mao
North Korea
Argentina (Peron)
Communist Russia
Vietnam

There is a dissatisfacton and percieved (real or imaginary) grievance or set of grievances which affects a statistically minor but still significant in number proportion of the population.

A demagogue leaps on this to to promote their views of the easy fixes that only THEY can provide.

Find an external or internal foe to demonise.

Cloak it it high minded, loud, repetitive bigot-speak

Push the label of the opposition from people with differing views to the enemy with no redeeming characteristics who are ALL OUT TO GET YOU AND YOUR FAMILY!!!

Wrap it in patriotism and a theology (political or religious) that is internally isolated from external influence

Create heretics and heresies and demonise them

Add a few well managed crises and staged "outrages"

Sprinkle lots and lots of "Think of the Children" and a few "temporary" tweaks to invidual rights...to protect the chilluns of course

Insta dictatorship...... Don't think it can happen here...?
Phoenix520
Verified:

Crazy Trumpers

Post by Phoenix520 »

One reason I have thought we should rejigger the US is it would make a wholesale autocratic takeover of this sort more difficult.

Like minded people will tend to migrate to where there are others of their kind. If the 30% or so who are dedicated to white supremacy gather in, say, the southeast, they have less opportunity to corrupt their neighbors; they’re already crazy. The remaining percentage of us would have a better chance to reject such thinking, with reinforcement.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Crazy Trumpers

Post by northland10 »

Mr brolin wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:52 am I was brought up all high Episopalian Anglo-Catholic, all the smells, all the bells, all them men in frocks, very little of the guilt.
I heard their musicians are a bunch of jerks.
101010 :towel:
Phoenix520
Verified:

Crazy Trumpers

Post by Phoenix520 »

Just the pianists. Their organists are just fine.
raison de arizona

Crazy Trumpers

The Tennessee Holler @TheTNHoller wrote: 😳BUTLER COUNTY, OHIO: “My neighbor just shot my dad… because he thought he was a Democrat.”

The killer, 26, has been charged with murder. Anthony King was 43 years old.
raison de arizona

Crazy Trumpers

Tweets are video of crazy Trumpers at tfg Tower in NYC, stomping on DeSantis and generally being wacky.
Oliya Scootercaster @ScooterCasterNY wrote: #HAPPENINGNOW Trump Supporters chant "USA USA!" and STOMP on Governor Ron DeSantis flag outside of Trump Tower in NYC saying "TRUMP OR DEATH!"

Trump is scheduled to make a "Major Announcement" today at 9pm.

📹 by Kevin RC Wilson @FreedomNTV

"We've been kind of on the downlow since January 6th, but I think that gets all erased tonight" - Dion Cini speaks of what Trump called a "very big announcement" scheduled for today at 9pm.

FULL STORY: https://freedomnews.tv/2022/11/15/prote ... ouncement/

Return to “The Big Lie & Aftermath of The Former Guy”