Bragg Manhattan DA charges tfg? Hush money. tfg “INDICATED!”

Abandon reality, all ye who enter here. *Democracy*Under*Threat*
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Post by Flatpoint High »

couldn't happen to a nicer person
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

From the decision on Trump's motions in limine:
     Defendant moves to preclude the testimony of [Michael Cohen] on the alleged grounds that "Michael Cohen is a liar. He recently committed perjury, on the stand and under oath, at a civil trial involving President Trump." ... Defendant submits that Cohen should be precluded from testifiying "in order to protect the integrity of this Court and the process of justice." ... Put differently, Cohen should not be allowed to testify because his past actions suggest that he will commit perjury.

This Court has been unable to locate any treatise, statute, or holding from courts in this jurisdiction. or others, that supports Defendant's rationale that a prosecution witness should be kept off the witness stand because his credibility has been previously called into question.
:snippity:
     The Court appreciates Defendant's interest in protecting the process of justice and the integrity of this Court, but his motion is DENIED.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

chancery wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:12 pm From the decision on Trump's motions in limine:
     Defendant moves to preclude the testimony of [Michael Cohen] on the alleged grounds that "Michael Cohen is a liar. He recently committed perjury, on the stand and under oath, at a civil trial involving President Trump." ... Defendant submits that Cohen should be precluded from testifiying "in order to protect the integrity of this Court and the process of justice." ... Put differently, Cohen should not be allowed to testify because his past actions suggest that he will commit perjury.

This Court has been unable to locate any treatise, statute, or holding from courts in this jurisdiction. or others, that supports Defendant's rationale that a prosecution witness should be kept off the witness stand because his credibility has been previously called into question.
:snippity:
     The Court appreciates Defendant's interest in protecting the process of justice and the integrity of this Court, but his motion is DENIED.
But also this other highlight, that proves the attoneys just made a fishing expedition to trick the court, and for the sole interested party, to delay.
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

The subtext is amusing, yes?

There's the missing inference: "This Court has been unable to locate any treatise, statute, or holding from courts in this jurisdiction. or others, that supports Defendant's rationale … and you know that because if there were any you would have cited it.

And surely "The Court appreciates Defendant's interest in protecting the process of justice and the integrity of this Court …" means "You really are a bunch of timewasting wankers, but it won't work here."
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Looks like the judge was not happy, attorney quoted from a ruling by Judge Kaplan, but did quote selectively
Judge INSTANTLY SHUTS DOWN Trump’s Defense before Trial

MeidasTouch
20 Mar 2024

Trump made up a fake “presence of counsel” defense to try to convince the jury not to convict him of business record fraud in NY next month, and the judge just shot it down in spectacular fashion. Michael Popok reports on the judge catching Trump’s lawyers in misleading him about the case law they said supported the defense when it didn’t, and his not allowing Trump to confuse the jury with an imaginary defense.
bob

Post by bob »

"For completeness":
Image ImageImage
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I get their point. Hopefully, someone can back up Cohen. It's the same with Weisselberg. What good is he to testify against trump if he's already pleaded guilty to perjury, unless someone can back up his testimony?
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

I think this case has documents, so there'll be a paper trail. They seized Cohen's devices so there may be emails or texts. Although we know turnip is famous for saying things by not saying them. I''m hoping the things Cohen talks about are things that are documented. And the Pecker "catch and kill" guy is a witness, too, right?
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

If his testimony is corroborated by a paper trail and other witnesses its still good. If he was providing totally unsupported evidence then ya, they would have a point.
Hic sunt dracones
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

All of the transactions Cohen talks about are documented, and there is even that recording in which Cohen explains how the pay-off will be made, mentioning Weisselberg. I don't even think this is in dispute.

The issue doesn't have anything to do with the Bragg case, I don't think. It's that Cohen committed perjury in the Engoron case, and thus should not be allowed to testify.

The point of contention is that Cohen "committed perjury" when he said that fuckhead gave instructions to Cohen and Weisselberg to inflate the value of his properties, and to "make the numbers higher." Fuckhead says that Cohen told one prosecutor "fuckhead never directly told us to inflate the numbers" and another prosecutor that "fuckhead told us to inflate the numbers." Cohen has explained that the directions were mafia style insinuations and remarks, IOW though the meaning was clear, the language used, direct or indirect, creates a grey area, but fuckhead's crew ignores that.

I'm doing the above from memory, so all corrections are welcome!
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

I just realized that if Turnip and Rudy were still an item, they could be Fuckhead and Farthead.
101010 :towel:
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

p0rtia wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:15 am All of the transactions Cohen talks about are documented, and there is even that recording in which Cohen explains how the pay-off will be made, mentioning Weisselberg. I don't even think this is in dispute.

The issue doesn't have anything to do with the Bragg case, I don't think. It's that Cohen committed perjury in the Engoron case, and thus should not be allowed to testify.

The point of contention is that Cohen "committed perjury" when he said that fuckhead gave instructions to Cohen and Weisselberg to inflate the value of his properties, and to "make the numbers higher." Fuckhead says that Cohen told one prosecutor "fuckhead never directly told us to inflate the numbers" and another prosecutor that "fuckhead told us to inflate the numbers." Cohen has explained that the directions were mafia style insinuations and remarks, IOW though the meaning was clear, the language used, direct or indirect, creates a grey area, but fuckhead's crew ignores that.

I'm doing the above from memory, so all corrections are welcome!
Ya. Cohen has been very consistent that the Turnip never directly told people to do stuff. He always hinted at it and people very quickly learned that his hints were commands. He has been saying this since he turned on the Turnip.

Turnip did it because (a) he was too much of a coward to take responsibility for anything (b) if it blew up he could scream and blame everyone else for doing something so incompetent and its not Turnip's fault because Turnip never told him to do it, and (c) that he could scream about perjury in this exact situation.
Hic sunt dracones
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Will no one rid me of this turbulent priest?
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Post by Reality Check »

I am following live Tweets. This hearing not going well for team Trump. Here is the Inner City Press stream so far.
https://t.co/xY3yuzbWSc
Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

Adam Klasfeld Tweets:
https://t.co/8ABBMse8tt
Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

Adam Klasfeld @KlasfeldReports
2m
Justice Merchan kicker before the morning recess:

“The People went so far above and beyond what they were required to do that it’s odd that we’re even here.”
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Adam Klasfeld’s “Hush Money Explainer”.
Visualizing ‘Hush Money’: How Trump’s Complex Payoffs Sparked 34 Election-Related Criminal Charges
IMG_6178.webp
IMG_6178.webp (37.43 KiB) Viewed 435 times
https://www.justsecurity.org/93876/trum ... y-charges/
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

This is so not going well
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
realist

Post by realist »

Trump crim hearing Merchan decision Screenshot 2024-03-25 at 10-22-25 Thread by @innercitypress on Thread Reader App.png
Trump crim hearing Merchan decision Screenshot 2024-03-25 at 10-22-25 Thread by @innercitypress on Thread Reader App.png (18.62 KiB) Viewed 391 times
Image X 4
Image X 32
jemcanada2

Post by jemcanada2 »

realist wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:29 pm Trump crim hearing Merchan decision Screenshot 2024-03-25 at 10-22-25 Thread by @innercitypress on Thread Reader App.png
So Team Turnip isn’t getting a dismissal and a pony? ;) :lol:
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

realist wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:29 pm Trump crim hearing Merchan decision Screenshot 2024-03-25 at 10-22-25 Thread by @innercitypress on Thread Reader App.png
What a waste of a hearing. Trump's tricks did nothing other than delay.
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

I don't think so. The production of large numbers of documents on the eve of trial would be a potential appeal point. Judge Merchan gave Trump's lawyers a little extra time to review the new material, and made a thorough record that supports his ruling rejecting Trump's arguments for dismissal or other sanctions. The Appellate Division isn't likely to overturn that ruling.
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

Ruling from the bench seems pretty bold (IANAL so I have nothing to base that on) - he took 45 minutes to affirm his thoughts? This appears to me that he's convinced of the un-appeal-ability of his ruling. It's a relief that we don't have to wait 10 days or something to get this ruling. turnip whinges about "prosecutorial misconduct" all the time - he finally got his attorney to say that in court only to have it totally batted away like the annoying gnat it is. Maybe his lawyer had to do this so turnip would quit telling him he had to make some kind of filing about that and shut him up already.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

Already whining
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

Dr. Ken wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:09 pm
What a waste of a hearing. Trump's tricks did nothing other than delay.
That was the point.

Return to “The Big Lie & Aftermath of The Former Guy”