Bragg Manhattan DA charges tfg? Hush money. tfg “INDICATED!”

Abandon reality, all ye who enter here. *Democracy*Under*Threat*
sterngard friegen

Post by sterngard friegen »

If Trump's lawyers don't mind being sanctioned, they have one move left - removal to Federal court. (Theory - Trump was a Federal officer and was immune from prosecution.) They can keep the ball in the air for several more months.
Neither disbarred nor disciplined after representing President Barack Obama. :oldman:
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

Mene Mene Tekel Upharsin,

or in other words,

Removed, Denied, Remanded.

People of the State of New York v. Donald Trump, 23 Civ. 3773 (AKH), July 19, 2023 (Hellerstein, J.).

https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap ... 43.0_1.pdf

Trump appealed the ruling, but later voluntarily dismissed his appeal.

Edit: Jinx; also fixed a thing.
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Post by Reality Check »

SuzieC wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:49 pm Already tried.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/judge-reje ... ral-court/
Yep, he has played that card.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Reality Check wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:19 am
SuzieC wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:49 pm Already tried.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/judge-reje ... ral-court/
Yep, he has played that card.
But maybe they will try again because reasons (which is pronounced, "delay").

What is the prosecutor's misconduct? It's very simple. They're prosecuting him. That's misconduct.

The Commission (i.e., the Mafia Commission) should sue everybody for calling him a mob boss. To the Mafia, that's a serious bit of defamation.
101010 :towel:
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Trump puts a target not only Judge Merchan in the criminal case in Manhattan but on his daughter. This is a rank effort at intimidating the judge by threatening his family. It merits a gag order but also serious pushback from GOP leadership--which we know won't come.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Hush money judge warns Trump’s lawyers to abide by rulings

https://thehill.com/regulation/court-ba ... press.coop
Judge Juan Merchan on Tuesday warned former President Trump’s lawyers in his hush money case to abide by the court’s rulings.

“The Court advises counsel that it expects and welcome zealous advocacy and creative lawyering,” Merchan wrote.

“However, the Court also expects those advocates to demonstrate the proper respect and decorum that is owed to the courts and its judicial officers and to never forget that they are officers of the court. As such, counsel is expected to follow this Court’s orders,” he continued, also referencing his power to issue criminal contempt punishments.

The stern warning came at the end of the judge’s four-page ruling denying Trump’s request to lift a requirement that the parties seek permission before filing any new motions prior to trial.

Merchan had implemented the requirement on March 8, portraying it as a move to manage the case more efficiently as Trump mounts various attempts to delay his trial at the last-minute.

On Tuesday, the judge accused Trump’s lawyers of attempting to “circumvent” the new requirement by filing one of their proposed motions as an exhibit to their letter seeking permission before Merchan signed off.

“This Court emphasizes that it hopes for and fully expects zealous advocacy from counsel as well as spirited contribution from witnesses and parties alike,” Merchan wrote. “Nonetheless, the Court expects that the line between zealous advocacy and willful disregard of its orders will not be crossed.”
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

That would explain the sudden rise in Kraft Heinz stock this morning.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Kyle Cheney
@kyledcheney

BREAKING: NY judge issues a gag order restricting Trump's ability to attack witnesses, prosecutors, their families or jurors.

https://www.nycourts.gov/LegacyPDFS/pre ... dicial.pdf
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Judge Imposes Gag Order on Trump in Manhattan Criminal Trial
The order limiting the former president’s speech came the day after Justice Juan M. Merchan set an April 15 trial date for the hush-money case.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/26/nyre ... 595e2e6e66
The New York judge presiding over one of Donald J. Trump’s criminal trials imposed a gag order on Tuesday that prohibits him from attacking witnesses, prosecutors and jurors, the latest effort to rein in the former president’s wrathful rhetoric about his legal opponents.

The judge, Juan M. Merchan, imposed the order at the request of the Manhattan district attorney’s office, which brought the case against Mr. Trump. The district attorney, Alvin L. Bragg, has accused Mr. Trump of covering up a potential sex scandal during and after his 2016 campaign.

The ruling comes on the heels of Justice Merchan’s setting an April 15 trial date, rejecting Mr. Trump’s latest effort to delay the proceeding. It will mark the first criminal prosecution of a former American president.

Mr. Trump recently clinched the Republican presidential nomination for the third time, and with three other criminal cases against him mired in delay, the Manhattan case could be the only one to go to trial before voters head to the polls in November.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

northland10 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:59 pm
But maybe they will try again because reasons (which is pronounced, "delay").

What is the prosecutor's misconduct? It's very simple. They're prosecuting him. That's misconduct.
:fingerwag: Federal officer removal does not, in fact, delay an underlying state court prosecution.

28 U.S.C. § 1455(b)(3) provides:
The filing of a notice of removal of a criminal prosecution shall not prevent the State court in which such prosecution is pending from proceeding further, except that a judgment of conviction shall not be entered unless the prosecution is first remanded.
So even if Trump's lawyers had the kamikaze notion of attempting a second notice of removal, they would not succeed in delaying the New York trial. :nope:

Plus, since this would be the second bite at the apple, it would be assigned to Judge Hellerstein, who would give it a very early flusheroo.*

_______
* Credit Woodworker, whose posts I miss.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

chancery wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:17 pm :fingerwag: Federal officer removal does not, in fact, delay an underlying state court prosecution.
:oopsy:

I could blame my error on IANAL, but instead, I will blame it on this week (holy week/easter for a church musician) like I do everything I don't get right this week. Why mess with a winning formula?
101010 :towel:
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

Volkonski wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:58 pm Judge Imposes Gag Order on Trump in Manhattan Criminal Trial
The order limiting the former president’s speech came the day after Justice Juan M. Merchan set an April 15 trial date for the hush-money case.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/26/nyre ... 595e2e6e66
The article's first graf reads:
The New York judge presiding over one of Donald J. Trump’s criminal trials imposed a gag order on Tuesday that prohibits him from attacking witnesses, prosecutors and jurors, the latest effort to rein in the former president’s wrathful rhetoric about his legal opponents.
From commentator Jeffro on the Balloon Juice blog (in this thread: https://balloon-juice.com/2024/03/26/the-bridge/):
Oh, and a note to the so-called liberal New York Times: Witnesses, jurors, and prosecutors are not trump’s “legal opponents”. They are a) our fellow American citizens and b) integral parts of our legal system, worthy of protection from Mr. B-Movie Mob Boss’s thugs (both in person and online.
They are NO ONE’s “opponents”)
:torches:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Trump rips hush money gag order as ‘illegal, un-American, unconstitutional’

https://thehill.com/regulation/court-ba ... press.coop
Trump called the order, the third of its kind in his multiple legal cases, “illegal, un-American,” and “unconstitutional,” and characterized Judge Juan Merchan himself as politically biased.

“This Judge, by issuing a vicious ‘Gag Order,’ is wrongfully attempting to deprive me of my First Amendment Right to speak out against the Weaponization of Law Enforcement,” Trump wrote in a Truth Social post, “Including the fact that Crooked Joe Biden, Merrick Garland, and their Hacks and Thugs are tracking and following me all across the Country, obsessively trying to persecute me, while everyone knows I have done nothing wrong!”

Prosecutors allege in the case that Trump illegally covered up hush money payments made to hide a past affair during his 2016 presidential election campaign. He pleaded not guilty to charges that he falsified business records.

The case is set to go to trial April 15, Merchan determined Monday, denying repeated attempts by Trump’s attorneys to further delay a trial.

The gag order specifically prevents Trump from publicly attacking witnesses, jurors and others during the trial, the first ever criminal trial of a former president. The order did not say anything about public statements regarding the judge or Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg (D).

Trump has faced two previous gag orders, one in his New York civil fraud trial and a second in his ongoing Washington-based election interference case. He derided and challenged both previous orders, though both were upheld.
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

Please donald go even further and attack the judge, lawyers, etc.

nevermind I spoke too soon

ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I'd like to buy the judge's daughter a drink.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

Slim Cognito wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:22 pm I'd like to buy the judge's daughter a drink.
I don't think you have to. It's not even her account. Loomer is pulling the same scam she pulled with Engoron's wife by creating a fake twitter account and posting stuff to get trump riled up and attack the judge's family.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I should’ve seen that one coming.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

Slim Cognito wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:35 am I should’ve seen that one coming.
It feels like loomer is going to do this with every single judge in the trump trials to rile his supporters up.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Does Loomer have a protected 1A right to continue this behavior, or can she be sanctioned / prosecuted?
bob

Post by bob »

bill_g wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:41 am Does Loomer have a protected 1A right to continue this behavior, or can she be sanctioned / prosecuted?
I doubt it is a crime. Somebody could sue, but I doubt anyone would.
Image ImageImage
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

bob wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:36 pm
bill_g wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:41 am Does Loomer have a protected 1A right to continue this behavior, or can she be sanctioned / prosecuted?
Well God Bless America. (sigh)
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

bob wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:36 pm
Are these "family member" accounts new?
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Dr. Ken wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:31 am
Slim Cognito wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:35 am I should’ve seen that one coming.
It feels like loomer is going to do this with every single judge in the trump trials to rile his supporters up.
Except Cannon.

She's busy, what with these accounts and finding unpaid but not yet due tickets.
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

https://twitter.com/lawofruby/status/17 ... 1618801763
Lisa Rubin
@lawofruby
NEW: Earlier this afternoon, I was on
@msnbc
to explain the newest battle between the Manhattan DA’s office and Team Trump over whether the gag order in the NY hush money case does or should cover Judge Juan Merchan’s daughter. But I missed a detail worth flagging. 1/

Lisa Rubin
@lawofruby
In their letter, the DA argues that after Merchan makes “abundantly clear” that his gag order covers the family members of the Court and the DA themselves, he should also warn Trump to “immediately desist” from future violations of the gag order—and if he doesn’t? 2/

Lisa Rubin
@lawofruby
Then, the DA’s office argues, he should be sanctioned under NY Judiciary Law Sections 750(A)(3) and 751. Both pertain to *criminal* contempt. 3/

Lisa Rubin
@lawofruby
750 defines what counts as criminal contempt and at subsection (A)(3), includes “willful disobedience to [a court’s] lawful mandate.” 751 lists the penalties for such criminal contempt, including imprisonment not exceeding 30 days. 4/

Lisa Rubin
@lawofruby
What Judge Merchan does next — which could range from entering an expanded gag order to ordering full briefing to simply denying further motion practice — remains to be seen. But the DA’s office? They are not playing. FIN.

The letter is here:

https://twitter.com/lawofruby/status/17 ... 27/photo/1

Return to “The Big Lie & Aftermath of The Former Guy”