Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Pushing Back Against Republican Overreach

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
Phoenix520
Verified:

Pushing Back Against Republican Overreach

Post by Phoenix520 »

This era will be in the history books one day. Among the topics historians will focus on will be the Information Age, propaganda, and the firehouse of falsehoods fired by the Fat Guy and his cult, without much effective pushback. Fact-checking became, to them, just another way Libs lie.

Every now and again in the states a brave legislator (usually a woman) will push back on her Republican colleagues’ overreach. I’d like to collect these stories. I hope, as 2023 rolls on, to gather a lot more.

I’ll start in Nebraska:
Legislature debate slows to a crawl as senator promises to filibuster every bill this session
:snippity:

Cavanaugh’s disjointed conversations are part of a well-known political tool, the filibuster, sometimes referred to as talking a bill to death.
:snippity:

“I want to annoy you. I want you to genuinely be frustrated to all get out with me,” said Cavanaugh.

Cavanaugh’s filibuster is one of the last strategies that liberal senators have in an overwhelmingly conservative body to slow the progress on controversial bills such as LB 626, which would ban any abortions after cardiac activity is detected in a fetus, or LB574, which would ban gender-affirming care for minors.

Cavanaugh said her fellow senators forced her hand with their lack of collegiality and promised they would be hearing from her on every bill being debated this session.
https://www.3newsnow.com/news/political ... ?_amp=true

The woman who started this: Mallory McMorrow of Michigan.

Whatcha got to share?

Return to “Current Politics”