A General thread for 2024 Presidential Elections

Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

There is a homeowner here with an extra large yard, enclosed by a 6 foot plastic privacy fence. In the past, we noticed that he had several Trump flags, but also a couple of DeSantis flags. Considering Trump was already ripping on DeSantis, we were wondering how the fellow consolidated his feelings for the two.

We noticed last week that the two DeSantis flags are gone.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
much ado

Post by much ado »

Slim Cognito wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 4:24 pm There is a homeowner here with an extra large yard, enclosed by a 6 foot plastic privacy fence. In the past, we noticed that he had several Trump flags, but also a couple of DeSantis flags. Considering Trump was already ripping on DeSantis, we were wondering how the fellow consolidated his feelings for the two.

We noticed last week that the two DeSantis flags are gone.
Good data point.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

‘Four-time loser’ Trump may not be nominee for 2024, Republican insists
New Hampshire governor Chris Sununu says ‘we need a candidate that can win’ even as Trump dominates national primary polls

Martin Pengelly in New York
Sun 23 Apr 2023 17.17 BST

Donald Trump is a “four-time loser” who will not necessarily be the Republican presidential nominee despite dominating primary polling, the New Hampshire governor said on Sunday.

“Donald Trump is positioning himself to be a four-time loser in 2024,” Chris Sununu said. “We need candidates that can win.”

A Republican governor in a Democratic part of the country – and of a key early voting state – Sununu is seen as a potential candidate in the moderate lane, should such a lane still exist in a party dominated by Trump.

Speaking to NBC’s Meet the Press, Sununu was confronted by comments to the same network just two months ago, when he said Trump was “not going to be the nominee”.

“We’re just moving on as a party, as a country,” Sununu said in February. “He’s not going to be the nominee. That’s just not going to happen. Here’s the good news … Ready? … You’re dead wrong. He’s not going to be the nominee.”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... imary-2024
Resume18

Post by Resume18 »

RTH10260 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:52 am
‘Four-time loser’ Trump may not be nominee for 2024, Republican insists
New Hampshire governor Chris Sununu says ‘we need a candidate that can win’ even as Trump dominates national primary polls

Martin Pengelly in New York
Sun 23 Apr 2023 17.17 BST

Donald Trump is a “four-time loser” who will not necessarily be the Republican presidential nominee despite dominating primary polling, the New Hampshire governor said on Sunday.

“Donald Trump is positioning himself to be a four-time loser in 2024,” Chris Sununu said. “We need candidates that can win.”

A Republican governor in a Democratic part of the country – and of a key early voting state – Sununu is seen as a potential candidate in the moderate lane, should such a lane still exist in a party dominated by Trump.

Speaking to NBC’s Meet the Press, Sununu was confronted by comments to the same network just two months ago, when he said Trump was “not going to be the nominee”.

“We’re just moving on as a party, as a country,” Sununu said in February. “He’s not going to be the nominee. That’s just not going to happen. Here’s the good news … Ready? … You’re dead wrong. He’s not going to be the nominee.”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... imary-2024
I really look forward to Trump's response. I'm sure his head is spinning.
Like as the waves make towards the pebbled shore,
So do our minutes hasten to their end . . .
pjhimself

Post by pjhimself »

Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

View from down here:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-04-25/ ... /101951834

Who's running for US president in 2024? From Joe Biden and Donald Trump to Nikki Haley and Ron DeSantis, here are the confirmed and potential candidates
Lani

Post by Lani »

Dave from down under wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:11 am View from down here:

Who's running for US president in 2024? From Joe Biden and Donald Trump to Nikki Haley and Ron DeSantis, here are the confirmed and potential candidates
I'm ok with Biden. I have lawyer relatives who worked into their early 90's, including county attorneys. Another was a university professor until 85.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Lani

Post by Lani »

Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Lani wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:45 am
Dave from down under wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:11 am View from down here:

I'm ok with Biden. I have lawyer relatives who worked into their early 90's, including county attorneys. Another was a university professor until 85.

Me too. And at the risk of sounding catty, I love Kamala.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Marianne Williamson will never be a viable candidate. As much as you may love her message, she is not a good campaigner and her message is a couple of decades old. She just doesn’t appeal to enough people. Maybe that’s why she’s not taken seriously as a challenger?

Many of us in LA got tired of Williamson overload. I remain unimpressed.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Well Kamala is not running this cycle. How do you rate her for 2028? Personally, I wasn't that impressed by her. If she is going for 2028, then the Administration needs her to take a much more public role in Biden's administration than she has been doing, siminar to when Bush the greater basically ran the government in the latter part of Reagan's second term.
Hic sunt dracones
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Id say she's running as Vice Presidential candidate.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Dave from down under

Kennedy is just nuts!

His anti-vax campaigns have killed and maimed - he deserves to be charged for crimes against humanity.

That he is even considered a possibility is boggling... but then I said that about Trump and....
Lani

Post by Lani »

Suranis wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:50 pm Well Kamala is not running this cycle. How do you rate her for 2028? Personally, I wasn't that impressed by her. If she is going for 2028, then the Administration needs her to take a much more public role in Biden's administration than she has been doing, siminar to when Bush the greater basically ran the government in the latter part of Reagan's second term.
Here's what she's being doing.
On August 11, 2020, Vice President Harris accepted President Joe Biden’s invitation to become his running mate and help unite the nation. She is the first woman, the first Black American, and the first South Asian American to be elected Vice President, as was the case with other offices she has held. She is, however, determined not to be the last.

As Vice President, Kamala Harris has worked in partnership with President Joe Biden to get America vaccinated, rebuild our economy, reduce child poverty, and pass an infrastructure law that will lift up communities that have been left behind. She has led the Administration’s efforts in rallying broad coalitions to protect the freedom to vote, expand workers’ rights to organize and collectively bargain, and stand up for women’s rights — supporting women in our workforce, addressing the maternal health crisis, and defending reproductive rights. The Vice President has also played a key role in engaging world leaders and strengthening our nation’s alliances and partnerships. In everything she does, she remains focused on the people of our nation—and our collective future.
https://www.whitehouse.gov/administrati ... nt-harris/

If you read the full article, you'll learn about her as a Senator.
Dave from down under

Dave from down under wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:46 am Kennedy is just nuts!

His anti-vax campaigns have killed and maimed - he deserves to be charged for crimes against humanity.

That he is even considered a possibility is boggling... but then I said that about Trump and....
Oh look - where Kennedy spread his lies -

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-04-26/ ... /102268988

American Samoa has declared a public health emergency amid fears of a deadly measles outbreak.

Key points:

Epidemiologist Scott Anesi says the aim is to fully vaccinate all children from grade 1 and above before reopening schools
He says all active cases are currently in a stable condition and "doing well"
Samoa has introduced vaccine requirements for all travellers from American Samoa
It follows a young girl testing positive to the viral infection, and a further 31 probable cases being investigated.

The announcement prompted its nearest neighbour, Samoa, to impose travel restrictions on Wednesday.

From Monday, people arriving from American Samoa must show proof of a measles vaccination, while accompanying children under two years of age must have had at least a single vaccine dose.

Suspected cases include children who had been hospitalised, but were under six months old and ineligible for the vaccine.

"We are closing all of our schools," American Samoa's chief epidemiologist, Scott Anesi, said.

"We started the first round of closing the childhood education centres, as well as the child daycare centres.

"We are now moving into all the elementary schools and wrapping up our mass vaccination campaign."

The US territory has a 91 per cent vaccination rate, and health officials are visiting communities to track the spread of the disease.
Dave from down under

For Australia

To achieve herd immunity for infectious diseases, coverage needs to be high. For example, measles is highly infectious so it needs a coverage rate of about 92% to 94%.
Australia’s national aspirational coverage target is 95%.
:snippity:
We are close to meeting our aspirational target of 95% for all age groups, having almost achieved 95% coverage for five year olds.
Our successes so far:
96.09% of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander five year olds are covered.
Coverage rates for all one year olds are at 93.75%.
We have almost reached the aspirational 95% for all 5 year olds.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/peter- ... 023-04-26/
SAN FRANCISCO, April 26 (Reuters) - Tech billionaire and Republican megadonor Peter Thiel, an early backer of former President Donald Trump who later broke with him, has told associates he is not planning to donate to any political candidates in 2024, according to two people close to the businessman.

Thiel is unhappy with the Republican Party's focus on hot-button U.S. cultural issues, said one of the sources, a business associate, citing abortion and restrictions on which bathrooms transgender students can use in schools as two examples.

Thiel came to this conclusion by late 2022, the sources said. He believes Republicans are making a mistake in focusing on cultural flashpoints and should be more concerned with spurring U.S. innovation - a major issue for him - and competing with China, the business associate said.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
bob

Post by bob »

Dave from down under wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:46 amThat he is even considered a possibility is boggling...
Literally anybody can run for president; hundreds of people do it every cycle.

Kennedy is just running a vanity candidate fueled by his excess wealth.

The DNC has made clear Biden is its preferred candidate, and will act accordingly.
Image ImageImage
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Dave from down under wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:46 am That he is even considered a possibility is boggling... but then I said that about Trump and....
He's not.

Your media want a horse race for ratings. So they will act like there is one. But in reality no-one takes these vanity candidates seriously.
Hic sunt dracones
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

It's a good thing for RFK Jr that his nephew, Joe Kennedy III, is now probably prevented by Hatch Act concerns from talking about Uncle Rob's campaign. I believe he and a couple of other family have made public pronouncements in the past urging him to get his head screwed back on the right way again.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Hubby asked me to share this. He looks forward to your comments! :biggrin:

"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Dave from down under

I appreciate the overview on how the US picks it's presidential candidates.

I would have like some more examples of the foreign etc policies that Biden is putting in that are attributable to Donnie.

Queenstown and especially Arrowtown at this time of the year is pretty damn nice!
(so having some of NZ as a back ground might be nice eye candy ;) )
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Dave from down under wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 10:22 pm I appreciate the overview on how the US picks it's presidential candidates.

I would have like some more examples of the foreign etc policies that Biden is putting in that are attributable to Donnie.

Queenstown and especially Arrowtown at this time of the year is pretty damn nice!
(so having some of NZ as a back ground might be nice eye candy ;) )
Don't take that video opinion as gospel regarding American politics. He brought up Bernie Sanders. Bernie stated weeks ago that he was not going to run and was supporting Biden. The old old saying, opinions are like a*sholes-- everyone has one.
Dave from down under

yeah - I had noted that the Bernie bit was outdated - I had assumed the vid was pre then..
but yeah.. opinion..
busterbunker

Post by busterbunker »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 10:56 am Hubby asked me to share this. He looks forward to your comments!
Every time I click on a video and some white guy is mansplaining shit to me, I click off in three seconds. I do the same thing on TV, I'm not biased, just takes me a little longer to find my remote. Go away! Hope your hubby enjoys my comments.

Return to “US President”