Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

A General thread for 2024 Presidential Elections

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Trump absent as Iowa 2024 GOP caucus train begins to roll

THOMAS BEAUMONT
Mon, February 20, 2023 at 6:04 AM GMT+1

CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa (AP) — Nikki Haley is swinging through Iowa this week fresh off announcing her presidential campaign. Her fellow South Carolinian Republican, Sen. Tim Scott, will also be here as he decides his political future. And former Vice President Mike Pence was just in the state courting influential evangelical Christian activists.

After a slow start, Republican presidential prospects are streaming into the leadoff presidential caucus state. Notably absent from the lineup, at least for now, is former President Donald Trump.

Few of the White House hopefuls face the lofty expectations in Iowa that Trump does. He finished a competitive second to devout social conservative Ted Cruz in 2016, and went on to carry the state twice, by healthy margins, as the Republican presidential nominee in the 2016 and 2020 elections.

“It is genuinely impossible for this guy to try to manage these expectations. They are enormous. They are self-made,” said Luke Martz, a veteran Iowa Republican strategist who helped lead Mitt Romney's 2012 Iowa caucus campaign. “I don't see how anyone who is saying ‘I’m the guy' can come in and even get even a second-place finish.”

Yet, in the three months since he announced his bid for a comeback, Trump has not set foot in Iowa, the first place his claim of party dominance will be tested early next year.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-absent ... 34110.html
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

A New Hampshire GOP national committeewoman says 'there are people' in the party who 'want to put women back into the 1960s'

John L. Dorman
Mon, February 20, 2023 at 2:11 AM GMT+1
  • Nikki Haley is embarking on a trailblazing bid as she seeks the 2024 GOP presidential nomination.
    However, GOP voters might not be receptive to accusations of sexism in political attacks.
    A New Hampshire GOP committeewoman said some in the party wanted "to put women back into the 1960s."
On the same day that South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley launched her campaign for the 2024 Republican presidential nomination, she rejected the idea of "identity politics" and embarked on a historic path to potentially serve as her party's standard-bearer.

"I don't believe in that," Haley said of the aforementioned term while campaigning in Charleston, SC, on Wednesday. "And I don't believe in glass ceilings, either. I believe in creating a country where anyone can do anything."

Haley joins former President Donald Trump as the two major candidates currently in the GOP field, with the ex-president already attacking her record, despite her serving in his administration as ambassador to the United Nations.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/hampshire-go ... 47745.html
(original: INSIDER)
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

'Woke, Inc.' author Vivek Ramaswamy enters White House race

Wed, February 22, 2023 at 3:40 AM GMT+1·1 min read

WASHINGTON (AP) — Vivek Ramaswamy, a wealthy biotech entrepreneur and investor and the author of “Woke, Inc.,” has entered the Republican race for president.

In a video released Tuesday night, Ramaswamy, 37, formally launched his longshot bid by decrying what he called a “national identity crisis” that he claims is driven by a left-wing ideology that has replaced “faith, patriotism and hard work” with “new secular religions like COVID-ism, climate-ism and gender ideology."

“We have obsessed so much over our diversity and our difference that we forgot all the ways we’re really just the same as Americans," he says.

In a Wall Street Journal editorial published at the same time, he pledged to repeal civil service protections for federal workers if he wins, as well as work to eliminate affirmative action, including directing the Justice Department to prosecute “illegal race-based preferences."

Born in Ohio, Ramaswamy, the son of Indian immigrants, founded a biotechnology company before becoming the partner of a hedge fund. He is the author of the books “Woke, Inc.” and “Nation of Victims" and gained stature in conservative circles for his criticism of the environmental, social and corporate governance movement that aims to promote socially responsible investing.

Ramaswamy enters what is expected to be a crowded Republican field that already includes former President Donald Trump and his former ambassador to the United Nations, Nikki Haley.

https://news.yahoo.com/woke-inc-author- ... 04297.html
tek

Post by tek »

Vivek Ramaswamy, a wealthy biotech entrepreneur
All I need to know right there.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Ramaswamy, 37
All I need to know right there.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

The latest: Fledgling GOP presidential contender stumped by question on nuclear triad

Vivek Ramaswamy, a tech entrepreneur who announced last week that he is seeking the Republican presidential nomination, acknowledged during a radio interview Monday that he is not familiar with the nuclear triad.

Ramaswamy was queried about the triad (which refers to the ability of the United States to launch nuclear weapons from land, sea and air) during an appearance on Hugh Hewitt’s syndicated show.

“Are you familiar with the triad?” Hewitt asked.

“The triad?” Ramaswamy replied.

“You don’t know what the triad is? … The nuclear triad?” Hewitt said.

After some hesitation, Ramaswamy asked Hewitt whether he was “talking about our new axis of sort of evil here.”

“No, I’m talking about the air, the land, and the sea nuclear deterrent that we won the Cold War with,” Hewitt explained.

“I have to admit, I’m not familiar with that,” Ramaswamy said.

There’s a reason this might sound familiar. During a Republican debate in the 2016 presidential cycle, Hewitt, as one of the moderators, asked then-candidate Donald Trump about the nuclear triad. Trump talked around the issue. Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.), the next candidate to speak, explained to the audience what Hewitt was talking about.

The misstep did not prove fatal to Trump’s presidential ambitions.

During Monday’s interview, Ramaswamy downplayed his lack of knowledge, referring to himself as a “fast study.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... I2D4J6GDXI
bob

Post by bob »

AP: Williamson becomes Democratic primary’s 1st Biden challenger:
Bestselling self-help author Marianne Williamson, who brought quirky spiritualism to the 2020 presidential race, has announced she’s running for president again, becoming the first major Democrat to challenge President Joe Biden for his party’s nomination in 2024.

Williamson, 70, is formally kicking off her campaign with an event in Washington on Saturday. Without mentioning former President Donald Trump, she noted in a weekend Facebook post that his unconventional White House win makes it “odd for anyone to think they can know who can win the presidency.”

I’m not putting myself through this again just to add to the conversation,” Williamson wrote.
:bored:
Image ImageImage
bob

Post by bob »

FOX: Robert F. Kennedy Jr 'thinking about' launching Democratic challenge to Biden for 2024 White House nomination:
'My wife has greenlighted it,' RFK Jr. said of his potential 2024 run for president

Robert F. Kennedy Jr. is considering running for president in 2024, challenging President Biden for the Democratic nomination, and he says his wife approves.

"I am thinking about it yes. I have passed the biggest hurdle, that my wife has greenlighted it," Kennedy told a crowd in New Hampshire on Friday, according to reports.

Kennedy's wife, actress Cheryl Hines,* was reportedly attending the speech at the New Hampshire Institute of Politics, which for nearly a quarter-century has been a must stop in the Granite State for potential or actual White House contenders.
Image ImageImage
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:splat:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Trump’s Threat of a Third-Party Run Is Undercut by ‘Sore Loser’ Laws

Ryan Teague Beckwith
Mon, March 6, 2023 at 2:00 PM GMT+1

(Bloomberg) -- Donald Trump hates losing so much that he has suggested he will mount a third-party campaign if he doesn’t win the Republican presidential nomination.

But he can’t win that way either, thanks to “sore loser” laws in six states he would need to return to the White House.

Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Texas, as well as Arkansas and Alabama, have laws that bar a candidate defeated in a major-party primary from running as an independent or on a third-party ticket in the general election. That would put Trump at the general-election starting gate with a deficit of 91 electoral votes of the 270 required to capture the White House.

Trump has flirted since 2016 with running for president on a third-party ticket or as an independent if he loses the GOP nomination. Republican National Committee Chair Ronna McDaniel said she hopes to require candidates to sign a pledge to support the GOP nominee as a requirement to participate in primary debates, a similar tactic the RNC used to try to box in Trump in 2016.

But any pledge would not be binding. Sore-loser laws would keep Trump’s name from even appearing on the ballot, although voters could still write him in.

A third major candidate on a presidential ballot poses problems for the Republican or Democratic parties, which dominate US politics, by splitting the votes of similarly minded candidates and handing victory to the opposite candidate, something that has happened a handful of times since the 19th century.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-threat ... 00407.html
(original: Bloomberg)
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Bring it on! :boxing:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Jim

Post by Jim »

AndyinPA wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:24 pm Bring it on! :boxing:
I can't see Trump having the courage to lose twice in the same election...he can't even handle losing once. But wouldn't it be entertaining to watch the last Republican president trashing the the current Republican candidate for 3-4 months non-stop?
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

from earlier this month
Pence declines to support Trump if he’s 2024 nominee: ‘I’m confident we’ll have better choices’
Former vice-president, expected to run for Republican nominee for president, says ‘different times call for different leadership’

Martin Pengelly in New York
Thu 2 Mar 2023 14.44 GMT

Twice given a chance to say he would support Donald Trump if he was the Republican nominee for president in 2024, Mike Pence, Trump’s former vice-president, declined to do so.

“I’m very confident we’ll have better choices come 2024,” Pence told CBS on Wednesday. “And I’m confident our standard-bearer will win the day in November of that year.”

Pence also said “different times call for different leadership”.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... minee-2024
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Former Arkansas Gov. Asa Hutchinson announces 2024 presidential run

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/abc-new ... d=98238115
Former Arkansas Gov. Asa Hutchinson made his 2024 White House bid official on Sunday in an exclusive sit-down interview with ABC "This Week" co-anchor Jonathan Karl.

Ahead of his presidential announcement, Hutchinson, a Republican, spent several days in the first-in-the nation caucus state of Iowa, stirring speculation that he intended to enter into what he acknowledged is a tense national political landscape.

"I have made a decision, and my decision is I'm going to run for president of the United States," Hutchinson told Karl. "While the formal announcement will be later in April, in Bentonville [Arkansas], I want to make it clear to you, Jonathan, I am going to be running. And the reason is, I've traveled the country for six months, I hear people talk about the leadership of our country. I'm convinced that people want leaders that appeal to the best of America, and not simply appeal to our worst instincts."

The former governor told Karl he is inspired by his travels around the country over the last six months and acknowledged it would take "a lot of hard work and good messaging" to raise his national profile and break through a crowded primary field.

"It’s still about retail politics in many of these states, and also, this is one of the most unpredictable political environments that I've seen in my lifetime. So my message of experience, of consistent conservatism and hope for our future in solving problems that face Americans, I think that that resonates," Hutchinson said.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

AndyinPA wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:19 pm:splat:
Ditto
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

:roll:

Robert F Kennedy Jr to challenge Biden for White House

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-65197673
The 69-year-old is the son of assassinated Senator Robert F Kennedy and nephew of President John F Kennedy.

The environmental lawyer's campaign treasurer, John E Sullivan, confirmed the filing on Wednesday.

Mr Kennedy is an outspoken anti-vaccine campaigner. Instagram removed his account in 2021 for "repeatedly sharing debunked claims", the company said.

US President Joe Biden has indicated he will run for re-election, though he has not yet formally declared his candidacy.

He was previously expected to launch his campaign in early April, but top aides say his timeline has shifted.

CBS News, the BBC's US partner, has reported that he is expected to formally announce a run in early summer now.

Last month, another Democrat, Marianne Williamson, jumped into the presidential race.

In March, Mr Kennedy shared on Twitter that he was considering a run for president.

At the time, he said: "If I run, my top priority will be to end the corrupt merger between state and corporate power that has ruined our economy, shattered the middle class, polluted our landscapes and waters, poisoned our children, and robbed us of our values and freedoms."
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2023/3 ... oliticians
Red State paradox: Why voters overwhelmingly favor liberal policies but not politicians

In 2010 Florida had a red wave banner year. Back then, the tea party wing took over Tallahassee, and a right-wing Medicare fraudster known as Rick Scott took the governor’s chair. The GOP immediately set to work on consolidating power and has dominated Florida ever since. Yet something else happened that year. Conservative groups and politicians relentlessly pushed against the “Fair Districts” amendments for congressional and legislative races, which were intended to prevent legislators from drawing lines favoring political parties or incumbents. Nonetheless, both initiatives passed overwhelmingly.

In Ohio, Buckeye voters likewise had no trouble putting Republicans in office in 2015 and 2018, and yet passed significant anti-gerrymandering reforms by large margins those same years. Of course, the right-wing legislature completely ignored them, because eff the voters, but that’s a topic for another time.

But it isn’t just the anti-gerrymandering laws. Even states that are dominated by Republican politicians have a populace that shows strong support for initiatives to legalize medical marijuana, protect the environment, restore voting rights to felons, champion a high-speed rail, secure abortion rights, raise the minimum wage to a living wage, and even vote for recreational marijuana. These initiatives, which have a largely progressive lean, pass by large margins despite Republican officials’ creative ways to block them, such as by requiring an obscene number of signatures, making them cost prohibitive, or raising the threshold to pass at 60%. (In Florida, right-wing legislators are now proposing to raise the threshold to 66.67%.)

Yet liberal policies abound.

After Alaska and Missouri voted to legalize recreational marijuana last year, the red state of Ohio will soon vote, and currently, the support is between 76-81% in favor. Meanwhile, voters in Montana, Kansas, and Kentucky turned away initiatives to restrict abortion access, while voters in South Dakota voted to expand Medicaid. Union protections/minimum wage laws were passed in a multitude of red states—even Nebraska.

The GOP base of lower-class white voters love the policies that Democrats are selling, but continually vote for legislators who are dedicated to fighting them. In fact, these voters tend to continually vote for politicians who are antagonistic to their own interests. In 2020, Iowa farmers suffered greatly because of Trump’s ill-conceived trade war with China. He then added insult to injury by using $300 million of taxpayer funds that was earmarked by the Department of Agriculture to help them to give to the Big Oil refineries to pay off the waivers they didn’t receive. (The waivers requested by refineries would have exempted them from the blending requirements of the Renewable Fuel Standard.) Yet Iowa voted for Trump in 2020 by over eight points, with most of his support coming from rural farmland.

LOOKING AT PSYCHOLOGY
When looking at this issue (and always), it helps to view people as, well, people—as opposed to automatons who support policy positions. Psychology is a better predictor of behavior than politics. In life, we buy things we don’t need, make investment decisions based on instinct, and sometimes make detrimental decisions based on fear rather than logic. In the political realm, a variety of bad actors not only understand this, but have made a career out of it. Fox News can’t exist without spinning their viewers into a perpetual rage, leaping from one manufactured scandal to another. Their entire business model is designed to inspire constant fear and anger within the right-wing base.

All of this is exploited for political gain. Biases of racial prejudice, supposed “Christian” values, fear of change, and mistrust of science feed into a narrative of fear amongst the GOP base desperately trying to stop change while looking for scapegoats for their misery.
Much more in the article.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Robert F. Kennedy Jr. Makes His White House Run Official
Announcing his long-shot bid to challenge President Biden, he spoke to a crowd of people who voiced their shared skepticism about vaccines and the pharmaceutical industry.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/04/19/us/p ... &smtyp=cur
More than half a century after his father sought the White House to end a calamitous war in Vietnam and to salve the country’s racial strife, Robert F. Kennedy Jr. announced a presidential campaign on Wednesday built on re-litigating Covid-19 shutdowns and shaking Americans’ faith in science.

Mr. Kennedy, a California resident, traveled to Boston, once the citadel of his family’s power, to declare that he would challenge President Biden for the Democratic nomination in a long-shot bid for the White House.

Appearing at the Park Plaza Hotel — a favorite fund-raising venue of his uncle Ted Kennedy’s — he sought to wrap himself in the Kennedy political luster at an event saturated, in words and images, with reminiscences of his father as well as another uncle, President John F. Kennedy.

In a rambling speech lasting nearly two hours, Mr. Kennedy, 69, evoked his father’s 1968 campaign and death, and spoke at length about his career as an environmental lawyer. He also aimed criticisms at the pharmaceutical industry, big social media companies that he accused of censorship, Mr. Biden’s commitment to the war in Ukraine and former President Donald J. Trump’s “lockdown” of the country early in the pandemic.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Steve Bannon must be so happy. But his family isn't.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Bullshit.
bob

Post by bob »

The birthers may yet win one! :towel:

(Unlike Haley and Ramaswamy, Ayyadurai was born in India.)
Image ImageImage
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/20/politics ... -campaign/
Conservative talk radio host Larry Elder announced Thursday that he’s launching a 2024 presidential campaign, joining a growing list of Republicans vying for the GOP nomination.

“I am announcing I am running for the presidency of the United States,” Elder told Tucker Carlson on Fox News.

Asked for his key reasons for running, Elder pointed to securing the border and suggested Democrats were labeling America “systemically racist.” He also decried what he said is a “lack of fathers in the home.”

Elder will speak at the Iowa Faith and Freedom Coalition this weekend. Other 2024 GOP hopefuls are expected to speak as well, including former President Donald Trump, former Arkansas Gov. Asa Hutchinson and South Carolina Sen. Tim Scott, who recently launched an exploratory committee.

Elder was the top Republican opponent to California Gov. Gavin Newsom, a Democrat, during the unsuccessful recall effort in 2021, which had emerged due to partisan anger over the governor’s pandemic response. Elder opposed most Covid-19 restrictions, minimum wage, cashless bail and defunding the police.
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

CNN fails to note that "nobody" beat Larry Elder by 20 points in California's recall election.
pjhimself

Post by pjhimself »

Return to “US President”