Dave from down under

A General thread for 2024 Presidential Elections

Post by Dave from down under »

Fascist Terrorists in uniforms…
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

What happens if a US presidential candidate dies?
Joe Biden and Donald Trump are the two oldest candidates in US history. If either needs to be replaced, what next?

Lauren Gambino
Sun 5 May 2024 18.00 CEST

Americans are bracing for a rare presidential rematch between the two oldest candidates in US history: the 81-year-old president Joe Biden and the 77-year-old former president Donald Trump.

Concerns about their age, mental fitness and the possibility that Trump could be convicted of a felony and sentenced to jail time have raised questions about what would happen in the extraordinary event one of them dies, becomes incapacitated or abruptly withdraws.

If Biden, as the sitting president, were suddenly unable to serve, either through incapacity or death, the vice-president, Kamala Harris, would immediately assume the powers of the presidency under the 25th amendment. But replacing Biden or Trump as their party’s presumptive nominees for president – a prospect that is entirely hypothetical – is more complicated. In the event of an unforeseen vacancy, party rules, state and federal election laws and the US constitution would guide what would undoubtedly be a messy process.

What happens if Biden or Trump needs to be replaced?

The answer, experts say, depends largely on when the vacancy arises. Is it after the party’s nominating convention? Before election day? What if the winning candidate is no longer able to take the oath of office? The timing matters.

If the unexpected occurs, the job of replacing the presidential candidate would fall to “10,000 people who no one has ever heard of”, according to Elaine Kamarck, a member of the Democratic National Committee rules committee and a senior fellow at the Brookings Institution. Collectively they represent convention delegates, members of the parties’ national committees, the 535 members of the electoral college and the 435 members of the House of Representatives.

Each plays a relevant role at different stages of the election process.

What if it happens before a party’s convention?

Biden and Trump have secured enough delegates to be their parties’ nominee in mid-March, but neither will be formally selected until the conventions this summer. The Republican national convention will take place in Milwaukee in mid-July. The Democratic convention will take place a month later in Chicago.

Before then, state parties will continue to hold primaries, caucuses and conventions, electing delegates to send to conventions.

If Biden or Trump were to withdraw or die before being formally nominated, their delegates would arrive at the convention in Milwaukee or Chicago largely uncommitted. A replacement nominee would then likely be chosen at the convention in a messy floor fight. Imagine frantic horse-trading, back-room dealing and public speech-making.

Democrats also have a system of “superdelegates” – unpledged senior party officials and elected leaders whose support is limited on the first ballot but who could play a decisive role in subsequent rounds.

more at the link for Rikker https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/art ... biden-dies
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Thanks for posting. I've wondered about that.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Just listened to Lara fuckhead fascisting that votes had to be counted on the day of the election. Not counted by 11:59, never counted.

Not gonna go into the many ways that is...stupid-wrong...but....

It got me wondering: maybe the plan is to just destroy the election from the front end; call on the armed maggoteers to cry foul before the election. Not as an excuse for a possible loss, but as a way to break the presidential election altogether.

Though since fuckhead is not in in the seat of power, not sure how that would work for him.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

He has the House. Don't know how bad that could be, but certainly not hesitant to cause trouble.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

AndyinPA wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 8:06 pm He has the House. Don't know how bad that could be, but certainly not hesitant to cause trouble.
Good point. Though I think I heard that it will be the new house that does the voting--of course, if block the new congressfolk....
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

How the hell can anyone say he has the house. The Republicans cant get themselves together to elect a speaker, let alone a deeply unpopular Guy who cant even crack 85% in Republican primaries where he has no opposition. (Biden is getting 94%)
Hic sunt dracones
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Suranis wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 8:24 pm How the hell can anyone say he has the house. The Republicans cant get themselves together to elect a speaker, let alone a deeply unpopular Guy who cant even crack 85% in Republican primaries where he has no opposition. (Biden is getting 94%)
Because you fail to see the basic fundamental of the R party...power above all else. Some of the primary voters don't like Zee Orange Furher because he is too incompetent to give them the fascist utopia they want, but he can get them closer...and that's what counts, more Reich wingers on SCOTUS, more partisan hacks in the lower courts who will uphold the gerrymandering and vote suppression laws in the southeast and midwest. If the R's hold the House after Nov and gain control of the Senate they will throw out the vote of D states, and either give Zee Orange Furher the major, or throw it to the House where they will put him back in power, power above all.

The Reich Wing in this country don't car about freedom other than their to do as they wish, other must suffer, democracy, it was a nice experiment but the wrong type of people were allowed to participate, so that needs to be corrected.

And I have read The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich, and I do see a lot of the same situations happening here, I know, I live amongst them.
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor

Return to “US President”