Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Spreadnecks: COVIDIOTS, Anti-Maskers, Anti-Vaxxers, Etc.

We have ALL your misinformation, plus some TRUE FACTS and SCIENCE.
Sam the Centipede

Re: Spreadnecks: COVIDIOTS, Anti-Maskers, Anti-Vaxxers, Etc.

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Lani wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:30 pm Getting omicron doesn't mean the person has immunity. WIth all the variants, immunity wanes a few months out.
What the health community refers to as “herd immunity” generally occurs when a large portion of the population is immune, and the virus or bacteria can't find a host within which it can reproduce. Herd immunity can be achieved by having enough people contract an infection and then build up a natural immunity, or with strong vaccination coverage. Approximately 94% of people must be immune in order to successfully halt transmission, according to the Mayo Clinic.

But the problem with herd immunity, and particularly with the COVID-19 virus, is that it is likely time sensitive, Ostrosky says. “We always start seeing declining antibodies a few months out,” he says. Not only is the immunity conferred time-limited, it may also not protect against other mutations of the coronavirus. “An infection with this particular variant doesn't guarantee protection against future variants,” Ostrosky says.
https://fortune.com/2022/01/05/experts- ... ible-cost/
The highlighted part is incorrect. Herd immunity does NOT mean that the infectious agent cannot find a host, it means that the number of addpeople that on average each infected person infects less than one additional person. That low attack rate means an outbreak becomes self-limiting and hence no more than one or more clusters. Susceptible people within a cluster are at risk, but those further away are protected by the ring of immune people around them.

You can calculate the fraction of the population that needs to be immune from the base reproduction number R0: it's necessary for 1/R0 of the population to be susceptible (think about it!), meaning 1–1/R0 must be immune. So for R0=3 that's 67% of the population, but if the newer variants have, say, R0=7 that climbs to a more onerous 85%.

The part after the highlight is misleading: herd immunity to a novel disease is unlikely to be achieved through infection - I'm not aware of any examples, and it would mean many deaths.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

LM K wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:51 pm
Uninformed wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:02 pm Serbian government attempts to put space between them and Djokovic.

“Up to Novak to explain PCR grey area - Serbia PM“:
https:// www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-59957779
Djokovic presented awards on Dec 17. He tested positive for covid on Dec 16.

The Serbian Prime Minister, Ana Brnabić makes a good point; was the 16th the day Djokovic was tested or the day he received his results?

But does it matter? No. You're supposed to quarantine after being tested, until you know the results of the test.
Doesn't really matter, it takes a few hours for the swab to reach the lab and get processed. Results are generally available within 8 hours of taking the swab, technically "the same day" (24 hours).
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

LM K wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:57 pm
W. Kevin Vicklund wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:17 pm Just as an exercise in Devil's Advocate, what if he actually had intended to observe the quarantine, and all the other appearances were planned? That would mean he appeared on Dec 25, and if he were to travel to Aus the 26th, that would get him out of ten-day quarantine on Jan 5, the day he actually arrived. But then he gets Covid, which regardless of how he tries to circumvent the rules means he can't get a flight until the 30th. That gets him out of quarantine on the 9th at earliest, leaving almost no time to prep for the tournament. So why not try to take advantage of the exemption?

Even if all the above is true, he's still a flaming douche.
It's a 14 day quarantine in Australia.

And he traveled to Spain before his Serbian quarantine was over.

He lied on his entry form because he knew he was required to quarantine because he traveled.

I'm fine with him applying for exemptions. I'm not fine with everything he's done in the past 6 weeks.
My apologies, I thought I saw it was 10-day quarantine. In that case, he'd have to be in quarantine for 28-29 days following his test, meaning he wouldn't be able to participate in the tournament until at least the 13th. I think that would have eliminated him from the tournament.
scirreeve

Post by scirreeve »

This is the best drinking pee thread.
Lani

Post by Lani »

Sam the Centipede wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:02 pm
Lani wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:30 pm Getting omicron doesn't mean the person has immunity. WIth all the variants, immunity wanes a few months out.

:snippity:

The part after the highlight is misleading: herd immunity to a novel disease is unlikely to be achieved through infection - I'm not aware of any examples, and it would mean many deaths.
And that's what is being said. Mayo & John Hopkins (and other sources) are warning about immunity being short term. As mutations occur, it may get worse.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

scirreeve wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:33 pm Christoper Key - pee drinking, deer antler peddling, Screwie Lewie affiliate doing OK at grifting. Still has creepy pics though. He got booted from twitter today. Capture.JPG
Oh, Key has definitely pigeon holed himself as a nutter when he equates mask mandates and vaccination with child trafficking.
scirreeve

Post by scirreeve »

Hoping Oz will deport this lying liar. More at the link.
Novak Djokovic has admitted breaching isolation rules after testing positive for Covid-19 last month, describing it as an "error of judgement".

In an Instagram post on Wednesday, the Serbian admitted meeting a journalist for an interview two days after he tested positive on 16 December.

"I accept that I should have rescheduled," he wrote.

His activity has been scrutinised as the Australian government considers whether to deport him.

In the post, he also blamed his agent for making a mistake on the travel form he used to enter Australia. His comments have prompted a new investigation from officials.

Djokovic, who is unvaccinated, is hoping to defend his Australian Open title next week. He had his visa revoked on 6 January shortly after he arrived in the country amid questions over the vaccine exemption that would have permitted him to enter. :snippity:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-59935127
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

IMG_11012022_220046_(500_x_800_pixel).png
IMG_11012022_220046_(500_x_800_pixel).png (234.51 KiB) Viewed 744 times
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
Lani

Post by Lani »

Diaper rash!
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

scirreeve wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:27 pm This is the best drinking pee thread.
https:// twitter.com/RyanEGraney/status/1480634298520776708
:eek: Previously believed that was for those into real kinky stuff, or a vital survival skill in dry places (includes prisoners forgotten in their cell).
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

scirreeve wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:27 pm This is the best drinking pee thread.
OMG, so much stupidity! That thread is hilarious! \
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

scirreeve wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:39 am Hoping Oz will deport this lying liar. More at the link.
Novak Djokovic has admitted breaching isolation rules after testing positive for Covid-19 last month, describing it as an "error of judgement".

In an Instagram post on Wednesday, the Serbian admitted meeting a journalist for an interview two days after he tested positive on 16 December.

"I accept that I should have rescheduled," he wrote.

His activity has been scrutinised as the Australian government considers whether to deport him.

In the post, he also blamed his agent for making a mistake on the travel form he used to enter Australia. His comments have prompted a new investigation from officials.

Djokovic, who is unvaccinated, is hoping to defend his Australian Open title next week. He had his visa revoked on 6 January shortly after he arrived in the country amid questions over the vaccine exemption that would have permitted him to enter. :snippity:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-59935127
Still not enough to rule him out. No way.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

I have several friends in Australia who are merch/contract/temp event workers who are refusing to work the Open if he plays. They say enough of the workers have signed on to not take the job that the Open is scrambling madly to even have enough people to run the damn thing. Money may talk louder than anything else if that's the case.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, we had an extended discussion about the "drink your own urine" thingy on the Virtual Meetup last night, and I also watched the part of the vid where the guy says "I saw the research and it BLEW ME AWAY, IT WAS SO AWESOME.

Which raises a question: If I watch a YouTube where the guy says he read the research, is that what they mean when they tell me to do my own research? I mean, I didn't personally read the research, but I saw a guy who says he did, doesn't that qualify? :think:

Anyway, we decided, after much examination and analysis, that we are absolutely not ready for whatever comes next after drinking your own piss.

We don't want to know what's worse than drinking your own piss, but we agreed that there will be something after drinking your own piss, and it will be worser than drinking your own piss, and we aren't going to do that, either.

Gaah. :sick:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Yeah, there’s a reason piss is designed to exit, not enter.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

The House Ethics Committee has fined four Republicans for not complying with the House mask mandate:

The Georgia conspiracy theorist was fined twice. The Colorado conspiracy theorist was fined once. Andrew Clyde was fined 7 times. Mariannette Miller-Meeks was fined once.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Mariannette Jane Miller-Meeks is an American physician
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Her parents named her Marianette?
Doubly disturbing if she’s in one of those Christianist cults where the wifey must obey her master’s every command.
Greatgrey
Verified: 💲8️⃣

Post by Greatgrey »

I dunno, but seems better than eating horse paste & washing it down with urine.

https://trib.al/x41ALhq
F257019C-9B0F-47DD-BB7D-13F6EF15F3A4.jpeg
F257019C-9B0F-47DD-BB7D-13F6EF15F3A4.jpeg (183.24 KiB) Viewed 551 times
What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
bob

Post by bob »

Foggy wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:36 amWe don't want to know what's worse than drinking your own piss
Bud Light.*

You're welcome.

* Warm, of course; chilling it kills the medicinal qualities.
Image ImageImage
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

:notlistening:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

The saga continues ...

There are now questions about whether or not Djokovic's covid test results are accurate. Did Djokovic ever have covid?
Meanwhile Australian Border Force (ABF) officials are investigating possible inconsistencies in documents related to Djokovic's December PCR result as well as the tennis player's movements in the days after he tested positive for Covid-19 in Serbia, a source with knowledge of the investigation told CNN Wednesday.

The Australian Border Force (ABF) has not yet determined whether these issues may impact the validity of Djokovic's current Australian visa, the source said.

On Tuesday, German news outlet Der Spiegel reported possible discrepancies in the digital data attached to Djokovic's PCR tests. The PCR test documents were filed in court by Djokovic's lawyers and published online.

Positive and negative results for the same PCR test appeared when Der Spiegel retroactively accessed the results using an attached QR code, the outlet reported.

A CNN contributor and various internet users also reported seeing the same issue. There was no indication what might have caused a discrepancy.

Tests done by CNN Wednesday showed only a positive result, consistent with the documents filed to court.

'I want to address the continuing misinformation'

But questions have lingered over Djokovic's behavior -- specifically, his positive Covid diagnosis last month before he arrived in Melbourne, and the public events he attended at the time.

"This is misinformation which needs to be corrected, particularly in the interest of alleviating broader concern in the community about my presence in Australia, and to address matters which are very hurtful and concerning to my family.

"I want to emphasize that I have tried very hard to ensure the safety of everyone and my compliance with testing obligations."

L'Equipe interview Dec 18

According to L'Equipe's story on Wednesday, journalist Franck Ramella and photographer Etienne Garnier reported Djokovic seemed "well," despite it later emerging the tennis star had been diagnosed with Covid-19 on December 16.

The L'Equipe article states Ramella has since tested negative for Covid-19 -- it does not mention Garnier's health.

Ramella told CNN he is en route to Melbourne to cover the Australian Open.

"For 33 minutes, according to the timer on the recorder, Djokovic answered the questions with confidence," a CNN translation of the French language article reads.

"We were being safe, facing each other at a distance of nearly one meter, sitting on opposite sides of a long rectangular table. When Etienne asked him to remove his mask for five minutes during the interview, Djokovic refused.

"Then the photo session took place. Obviously, the Serbian champion removed his mask. We did not want him to pose with his face half-covered.

The article was published just hours before Djokovic apologized for keeping the interview appointment despite being aware of his positive PCR diagnosis from a test done two days earlier.

Simon Cambers, who is co-president of the International Tennis Writers Association (ITWA), said it was "deeply concerning" that Djokovic hadn't told one of the organization's members -- and the rest of the L'Equipe team on the day -- that he had tested positive for Covid-19.

After news of his positive result emerged, Djokovic received widespread criticism for photographs showing him at these various events -- often unmasked and around children.
His statement Wednesday that he did not know his positive Covid status until December 17 also contradicts comments from his brother, who told a news conference Tuesday that the player tested positive on December 16 and knew his result.

In an interview with Australian broadcaster and CNN affiliate Seven Network on Wednesday, Djokovic's mother said he "probably" didn't know that he had tested positive before attending the events.

Even Serbian authorities, who have strongly defended Djokovic and decried his temporary detention throughout the ordeal, acknowledged the controversy.

"It would be a clear breach of rules because if you know you're positive you would have to be in isolation," Serbian Prime Minister Ana Brnabić told the BBC, but added "there is some gray area" as it was unclear when Djokovic received his results.

Travel declaration

Djokovic also addressed the controversy over an apparently false travel declaration.

Though he said he had not traveled in the 14 days prior to his arrival in Australia, photos taken during that period appear to show him in both Spain and Serbia.

In the statement, he apologized for the false declaration, saying it had been submitted "by my support team on my behalf," calling it "a human error and certainly not deliberate." :liar: He declined to make any further comment, only adding that he hoped to play in the Australian Open and "compete against the best players in the world."

"Mr. Djokovic's lawyers have recently provided lengthy further submissions and supporting documentation said to be relevant to the possible cancellation of Mr. Djokovic's visa. Naturally, this will affect the timeframe for a decision."
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

sugar magnolia wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:24 am I have several friends in Australia who are merch/contract/temp event workers who are refusing to work the Open if he plays. They say enough of the workers have signed on to not take the job that the Open is scrambling madly to even have enough people to run the damn thing. Money may talk louder than anything else if that's the case.
It seems there may be a movement to boycott his matches. How will the TV look from an empty Rod Laver Stadium?
Has everybody heard about the bird?
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

bob wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:37 pm
Foggy wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:36 amWe don't want to know what's worse than drinking your own piss
Bud Light.*

You're welcome.

* Warm, of course; chilling it kills the medicinal qualities.
:yeahthat:
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Kendra wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:18 am
The Georgia conspiracy theorist was fined twice. The Colorado conspiracy theorist was fined once. Andrew Clyde was fined 7 times. Mariannette Miller-Meeks was fined once.
[/quote]

For reference, Andrew "They were just tourists" Clyde's district is next door to Tinfoil-Greed's...
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor

Return to “COVID-19 and its several variants”