Spreadnecks: COVIDIOTS, Anti-Maskers, Anti-Vaxxers, Etc.

We have ALL your misinformation, plus some TRUE FACTS and SCIENCE.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Re: Coronavirus Anti-Maskers, Anti-Vaccers, Etc.

Post by keith »

One myth that turned out to be almost close to the truth was that the Australian vaccine would give you HIV.

In fact it did not, but it did use HIV remnants as a transport mechanism (or summat). And while the initial testing showed enormous potential, some of the proteins incorporated from the HIV were precisely what HIV tests are looking for. This would result in thousand or millions of false positive HIV tests,

Since it would be nigh on impossible to reengineer the worlds HIV tests, and an education program to gain public acceptance for the vaccine would have been pushing poop uphill, the government pulled the plug before stage 2 trials (I think it was).

I get the impression the the Aussie vax would have been a lot less troublesome to transport and deliver.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Rep. Joseph Chaplik (R-AZ) has objected to wearing masks because no one wore masks during the Aids crisis. I have nothing to add. I will let the stupidity of this comment stand alone.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

covfefe wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:43 pm
Rep. Joseph Chaplik (R-AZ) has objected to wearing masks because no one wore masks during the Aids crisis. I have nothing to add. I will let the stupidity of this comment stand alone.

Sure they did.

They just wore them on a part of the body that you can't normally see.

And, they were made of latex, rather than cloth or paper.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

I had to check to make sure he really said that.

He really said that.

A good measure of 100 percent ignorance for future reference.

#wearamask
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

The woman who cuts my wife's hair said she is not going to get a vaccine because she believes Covid-19 is not a real threat. I'm not sure if she believes it is an out-and-out hoax or "merely" that its seriousness is being overblown. Anyway, she's a moron.

I can sort of, almost, but not quite understand someone who is reluctant to get a vaccine that is so new and relatively untested in real life. Even though, between just the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines, they probably tested them on tens of thousands of people, it is still possible that there might be serious side effects. It was developed and produced in record time.

To me, that is not an entirely meritless argument. I don't believe it is true, but I can sort of understand someone's reluctance.

I'm getting my first shot on Saturday.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Tens of millions of shots have been given now just in the USA. Unless the side effects are very slow in coming it seems that the vaccines are safe.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
tek

Post by tek »

Interesting article in CACM (software engineering professional society magazine):
Science Is Not Another Opinion
https://cacm.acm.org/magazines/2021/3/2 ... n/fulltext
There is a paradox in science that you might not have much thought about. On the one hand, the historical accounts of settled science are familiar, reasoned, and methodical. On the other hand, the actual work of investigating and verifying hypotheses is fraught and often chaotic. How can science be methodical and chaotic at the same time? How does science resolve chaos into order?

This paradox has serious implications during times when science is searching for answers that have yet to be found, as in the COVID crisis. To outsiders, it may seem the chaos indicates that the scientific process has collapsed and is not working, and that the claims of scientists cannot be trusted. In fact, the chaos is an integral part of the workings of science and dealing with it is necessary to achieve settled science.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Science is the only religion that really works. - Asimov
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

My understanding is that absolutely no one has become seriously ill or died from receiving the vaccine. You can't say that about Covid-19 itself.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

noblepa wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:57 pm The woman who cuts my wife's hair said she is not going to get a vaccine because she believes Covid-19 is not a real threat. I'm not sure if she believes it is an out-and-out hoax or "merely" that its seriousness is being overblown. Anyway, she's a moron.

I can sort of, almost, but not quite understand someone who is reluctant to get a vaccine that is so new and relatively untested in real life. Even though, between just the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines, they probably tested them on tens of thousands of people, it is still possible that there might be serious side effects. It was developed and produced in record time.

To me, that is not an entirely meritless argument. I don't believe it is true, but I can sort of understand someone's reluctance.

I'm getting my first shot on Saturday.
if it were me, I would find a new haircutter
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Video shows crowded, maskless party at South Padre Island for spring break

https://abc13.com/10403575/?ex_cid=TA_K ... ce=twitter
The lifting of COVID-19 restrictions and the statewide mask mandate comes right in time for spring break.

Video from South Padre Island shows some beach parties already underway, with many of the participants opting to go maskless.

Critics of Gov. Greg Abbott's decision to end the mandate point to the parties as examples of the post-restriction COVID-19 risks.

One video shows a party outside Clayton's Beach Bar and Grill.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/03/10 ... k-mandate/
Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton is threatening to sue Travis County and the City of Austin if officials don't back down on local orders that continue to require masks despite Gov. Greg Abbott ending the statewide mask mandate on Wednesday.

Austin and Travis County public health leaders recently announced they would continue to require masks, even though Abbott forbade local authorities from superseding his order. Only county judges can order COVID-19 restrictions if hospitalizations from the virus rise above 15% of the bed capacity in that hospital region for seven straight days.

Violating the city's public health order would be a Class C misdemeanor, but the city planned to continue to only enforce "the most egregious cases," Austin Mayor Steve Adler said in a video message posted late Tuesday before Paxton's announcement. An Austin spokesperson said they would soon respond to Paxton's threat.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Baidn

Post by Baidn »

Suranis wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:01 am
Oh and American Evangelicals were sowing distrust in the Covid Vaccine before the evil Catholics were, odd you weren't inspired to rage against that with equal zeal. Now, if you don't mind, I'm off to eat my morning Kitten.
I bet you don't even use salt you absolute monster ;) In total fairness there's a bit of an issue here in the states with evangelical "christians" giving everyone a bad name and causing all branches of the faith to be lumped together with the hateful, backwards, fear mongering opportunist that comprise the modern american evangelical movement. So I don't think it was meant as a direct attack on catholics at large. If you feel somewhat attacked I can understand that being another reasonable person of faith who frequents areas where most members consider those terms to be mutually exclusive, however I've found it works out better to point out that the church is aiming to prevent harm in these situations by providing guidance and assurance to people who make decisions based primarily on faith. A goal that I'm sure everyone would agree is admirable and to the greater good.
"...don't teach a man to fish. He's a grown man and fishings not that hard." Ron Swanson the worlds only good libertarian
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Covid's devastation on Black community used as 'marketing' in new anti-vaxxer film
A new video from anti-vaccination activists adds to what experts have called an effort to "weaponize" the outsize damage Covid-19 has done in communities of color

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/cov ... r-n1260724
A new video from anti-vaccination activists released online Thursday adds to what experts have called an effort to "weaponize" the outsize damage Covid-19 has done in communities of color.

The video was released by anti-vaccination activist Robert F. Kennedy Jr., who was recently banned from Instagram for spreading Covid-19 vaccine conspiracy theories, and Republican megadonor David Centner. The hourlong film relies heavily on the U.S. Public Health Service Syphilis Study at Tuskegee and promotes false claims that Covid-19 vaccination efforts are part of a larger, sinister experiment on Black communities.

A trailer for the video posted to Instagram has already received more than 160,000 views as of Thursday morning.

Brandi Collins-Dexter, a misinformation researcher and fellow at Harvard Kennedy School’s Shorenstein Center on Media, Politics and Public Policy, said the notorious figures and false narratives in the documentary were recognizable. She noted the film’s incompatible narratives sought to take advantage of the pain felt by Black communities.
scirreeve

Post by scirreeve »

I went skiing today. That is what I do frequently cuz I love it (and am pretty damn good at it). My home ski area says if you don't wear a mask in the loading or unloading areas or on the lift they will pull your pass and kick you off the mountain. Can request a single chair but otherwise if skiing single only 2 peeps on a 4 person chair. Normal looking dude hopped on with me then pulled off his mask the second we left the loading area. I politely asked him to put it back on. He did but then I got to hear a rant about COVID being a hoax, Bill Gates nanochips, anti vaaxxer nonsense etc. etc. for several minutes while on the lift. I just looked forward and didn't say a word to him - at least he had his fucking mask on. I requested single chairs the rest of the day. My legs are tired now.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Maybe I mentioned it, but when I told my crazy 5g crazy neighbor lady that I have a viral infection (still active) but I was cleared of COVID by a double-swab test at the hospital, she said "You know they put nanoprobes on those swabs to invade and control your brain." :?

This is my life. LOL. :popcorn:
Lani

Post by Lani »

One thing I've learned during the past year - there are a lot more whackos in the US than I previously thought.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Lani wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:23 am One thing I've learned during the past year - there are a lot more whackos in the US than I previously thought.
I don't debate some things with certain people ... I don't even express with an eye-roll.
I do an "Oh, really?" with a poker-face and concern nod.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Time to note that there is a church in Vermont (just over the border from my place in upstate NY) with a MAGA pastor. He and his MAGA wife have grifted it into the ground over the past five years with their calls to jail Hillary, sell lotsa guns, and preach about how them Dems are Satanists on the road to hell.

Their latest is claiming COVID vaccines are "sorcery:. A word I never thought I would hear, y''know, in the real world. So don't you dare get one.

One of those lovely old New England stone churches, now a decrepit shell of conspiracy. Less than ten members left. Pfff.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Lani wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:23 am One thing I've learned during the past year - there are a lot more whackos in the US than I previously thought.
Amen to that.
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.
Verified: ✅Of course

Post by zekeb »

bill_g wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:02 am
Amen to that.
Like roaches in the dark, the whackos have come out and have been emboldened by social media.
Largo al factotum.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

zekeb wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:16 am
bill_g wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:02 am
Amen to that.
Like roaches in the dark, the whackos have come out and have been emboldened by social media.
...and the former guy.
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

A real-life Karen (her name really is Karen).

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/te ... -ntp-feeds
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Kaitlan Collins
@kaitlancollins
Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp said today his state is seeing vaccine hesitancy among white Republicans and talked about the importance of having partnerships between pharmacies and churches or civic clubs "to build up the confidence and convince people this is the right thing to do."
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Volkonski wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:57 pm

Kaitlan Collins
@kaitlancollins
Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp said today his state is seeing vaccine hesitancy among white Republicans and talked about the importance of having partnerships between pharmacies and churches or civic clubs "to build up the confidence and convince people this is the right thing to do."
Well KOVID Kemp, had you treated this as a serious public health crisis instead of doing everything in your power to win Zee Furher's approval, this might not be so much an issue.

:fuckyou: :mad2: :cussing:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor

Return to “COVID-19 and its several variants”