Senator Patsy Mink

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
Lani

Senator Patsy Mink

Post by Lani »

‘A trailblazer’: Late Hawaii Congresswoman Patsy Mink to be featured on US quarter
The late Hawaii Congresswoman Patsy Mink will be honored in a very special way.

Mink — the first woman to represent Hawaii in Congress and the first woman of color to serve in Congress — will soon be featured on the U.S. quarter.

The U.S. Mint made the announcement on Wednesday as part of its 2024 American Women Quarters collection.

“Patsy Mink was a champion for social justice, equality, and civil rights — she was a trailblazer in every sense of the word,” said U.S. Sen. Mazie Hirono, in a statement. “As the first woman of color to serve in Congress and a lead author of Title IX, Congresswoman Mink worked to ensure that all women in our country have every opportunity men have."

Mink advocated for women’s rights and social justice issues. She was the driving force behind the landmark Title IX legislation that opened opportunities to women in education and athletics.

Mink was also honored with an official portrait, which was unveiled at the U.S. Capitol last year — the 50th anniversary of Title IX being signed into law.
She first became a Congresswoman in 1965. I was a teenager & so excited when I saw her on the news! She was a hero to me. Every time I had to write essay about what I would do "when I grow up", the teachers would explain that I can't be a doctor, an astronaut, a veterinarian, etc. And I'd say I can be Congresswoman. (Not that I wanted to, but I knew I didn't have to be a housewife.)

When she died, Bill Clinton, Senator Mazie Hirono, the Governor, and other politicians came to Kauai to honor her passing. It was a crowded place, and almost all of us had to stand. I asked if the people in seats if my son could sit there so he could see the stage, too. Nope. Then one of the politicians came off the stage to get him and sat him right in front of the stage. :thumbsup: And when it ended, the politicians all came to chat with him first. (He made me take a photo of his right hand because Clinton shook it.) So in a way, Mink changed his life as well - he become interested in politics.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Senator Patsy Mink

Post by Slim Cognito »

What a lovely story.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Senator Patsy Mink

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:lovestruck:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.

Return to “Current Politics”