Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Racism back in fashion, did it ever fade?

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Re: Racism back in fashion, did it ever fade?

Post by Frater I*I »

sugar magnolia wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:53 pm
raison de arizona wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:50 am
they have people going door to door in Alabama selling white supremacy 😳
"Do you think we can leave these flyers for you?"

"I think you can get the fuck off my porch, asshole."
I would add "Before I pistol whip you...."
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Dan Gelber @MayorDanGelber wrote: This morning hundreds of homes in our community found plastic bags outside their homes filled with a hateful anti-Semitic flyer and small pebbles. @MiamiBeachPD is actively investigating to determine their origin. As a precaution we’ve increased patrols in our neighborhoods and…

And at religious institutions. If you received a flyer, call @MiamiBeachPD @ 305.673.7901. If you have a video camera that might have captured relevant images, please save the images. There is no place for this in our community & we will do all we can to make that point clear.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

raison de arizona wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:06 pm
Dan Gelber @MayorDanGelber wrote: This morning hundreds of homes in our community found plastic bags outside their homes filled with a hateful anti-Semitic flyer and small pebbles. @MiamiBeachPD is actively investigating to determine their origin. As a precaution we’ve increased patrols in our neighborhoods and…

And at religious institutions. If you received a flyer, call @MiamiBeachPD @ 305.673.7901. If you have a video camera that might have captured relevant images, please save the images. There is no place for this in our community & we will do all we can to make that point clear.
One presumes the pebbles because that is what we of The Tribe leave on gravestones in lieu of flowers? I admit with some chagrin as a SoFla resident for most of my life (from age 7 to 17, then from 25 until 48, and technically still a legal resident of Broward County now as I round the last 2 weeks to my 52nd birthday), that I haven't been tracking this story. I've been more fascinated by the stuff going on in the UK and in Burkina Faso (my best friend in the Foreign Service is stationed there, and he's okay right now, but worrying about my dear chum has taken up a good chunk of my headspace), so I've missed a lot of domestic news items.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Ben-Prime wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:00 pmOne presumes the pebbles because that is what we of The Tribe leave on gravestones in lieu of flowers?
Nah, the pebbles are standard whether the flyer is offering yard services, window washing, dog walking, or nazi ideology. It makes it easier to toss the flyer on your driveway, and keeps it there if it's breezy.
Image Image Image Image
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

Estiveo wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:22 pm
Ben-Prime wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:00 pmOne presumes the pebbles because that is what we of The Tribe leave on gravestones in lieu of flowers?
Nah, the pebbles are standard whether the flyer is offering yard services, window washing, dog walking, or nazi ideology. It makes it easier to toss the flyer on your driveway, and keeps it there if it's breezy.
Ah-ha. Well, let it never be said that racists can't be practical. :?
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
raison de arizona

Ben-Prime wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:39 pm
Estiveo wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:22 pm
Ah-ha. Well, let it never be said that racists can't be practical. :?
Your explanation has much better imagery.

In other news...
But who will stand up for the white boys?
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

She’s so inner city!
raison de arizona

Joe Rogan wrote:Unless you are talking to someone that is like 100% African from the darkest place where they are not wearing any clothes all day and they've developed all that melanin to protect them from the sun, even the term Black is weird.
https://www.mediamatters.org/joe-rogan- ... dyson-isnt
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Daniel Walters
@danielwinlander
On alt-right-infested Gab, the wife of Spokane County's elected prosecutor declares she's a "white nationalist" and calls Joy Reid the N-word.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
raison de arizona

Wow, she's really a piece of work. And if you read some of the stories about him, he is as well. Poor Spokane.

Also-
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

An interesting recap of the birth of Jim Crow and the on-going war on some humans in America:

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

A 12-year-old Black swimmer was nearly disqualified from a meet in Superior, Wisconsin, for wearing a Black Lives Matter swimsuit.

"An independent volunteer official inappropriately barred a student athlete from taking part in the meet, due to their 'Black Lives Matter' swimsuit, stating that it 'went against USA Swimming's policy of no political language,'" according to the Duluth Area Family YMCA, which sponsored the event Sunday at Superior High School.

:snippity:

The official who threatened to disqualify Leidy was overruled by YMCA officials, and she was allowed to continue participating in the swim meet, the Duluth YMCA said. The official has been banned from future swim meets hosted by the Duluth YMCA, the organization said.

Let's hear it for the :ymca:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/09/us/wisco ... HOfm3v6zDU
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

Perhaps not the appropriate topic.

“The last known ship of the US slave trade”:
https://www.bbc.com/travel/article/2022 ... lave-trade
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
raison de arizona

This is one of Trump's greatest crimes. Not turning people into racists, they already were. But making them think it is acceptable to publicly display their racism.

Virginia, this is the deputy director of the Virginia Poverty Law Center. Just more casual racism.
Salaam Bhatti @salaam wrote: My pregnant wife (nearly full term) was w/ our 3 year old at the park, enjoying a lovely day.

A lady walks by & says "You're having another one? Lord help us. Go back to your country."

She's never experienced this hatred. And for our son to see it so early in life is upsetting.
Lani

Post by Lani »

I've been coping with new information about my heritage. It's true that VA peninsula did not have large numbers of slaves, but it's not true that my ancestors did not have slaves. I found a will that gave one slave to a daughter and gave the "first baby gotten of her" to the other child.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
poplove
Verified: ✅💚💙💜☮️💐🌈⚽️✅

Post by poplove »

Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Post by Reality Check »

:thumbsup:
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Viral video of a Black teen being pinned down and arrested at a New Jersey mall while white teen seen fighting with him sits on couch sparks investigation
Cheryl Teh
Wed, February 16, 2022, 5:24 AM·3 min read

A viral video of a New Jersey mall fight between two teens has sparked outrage.

Police were filmed pinning down the Black teenager, while the white teen sat on a nearby couch.

An investigation has been launched into the police officers' actions.

A video of police officers breaking up a fight at a New Jersey mall has sparked anger over accusations that law enforcement treated the two teenagers involved in the scuffle — one Black and one white — differently.

In a video documenting the fight at the Bridgewater Commons mall in Bridgewater Township, New Jersey, the teens can be seen getting into a verbal argument.

"Get your hand out of my face," the Black teen said.

They then begin shoving each other, and a physical fight breaks out. The Black teen is thrown on the floor by the white teen during the fight. Two police officers — one male and one female — arrive.

The female officer pushes the white teen onto a nearby couch and motions for him to stay there. At the same time, the male officer tackles the Black teen to the floor, sitting on him and handcuffing him, while the female officer quickly kneels on his back to keep him down on the ground.

"It's cause he's Black. Racially motivated," someone can be heard saying in the video's background.

The white teen is then seen standing over the Black teen while the officers handcuff the Black teen. As the video ends, the Black teen is hauled to his feet while the white teen sits on the couch.

Local ABC affiliate ABC 7 reported that the fight involved a Black eighth grader, identified as Kye, and a white high schooler whose name has not been released.

"They basically tackled me to the ground, and then the male officer put his knee in my back, and then he started putting me in cuffs," Kye told ABC 7. "Then the female officer came over and put her knee on my upper back too, and started helping him put cuffs on me while he was just sitting down on the couch watching the whole thing."

Kye's mother, Eboné, told ABC 7 that she was grateful that her son was OK but wanted the two police officers fired.

"I had to watch it on mute. I still haven't watched it and listened to the sound, I'm baby-stepping my way into watching it, but it's just crazy," she said.

"It doesn't take two cops to hold a 14-year-old boy down who is not resisting, while the other boy is just going free and still going off on my son. It just doesn't make sense," Eboné told NBC in an interview on Tuesday.

On Wednesday, a letter from Bridgewater Township Mayor Matthew Moench said an investigation had been launched over the incident.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/viral-video- ... 18989.html
raison de arizona

The video.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

‘An Excuse to Start Suing’: Non-Black City Council Members Object to Paying $1.6M Settlement to Black Woman and Family Despite Violent Arrest by Chicago Officers Leaving One Partially Blind
Nicole Duncan-Smith
Tue, February 22, 2022, 5:18 PM·4 min read

An Illinois woman who became partially blinded after a violent arrest by Chicago police during the uprisings in the days immediately following George Floyd’s murder is one step closer to participating in a seven-figure settlement.

A Chicago City Council committee voted last week to pay damages to resolve lawsuits brought by those involved in her case and in two other ones brought by citizens claiming harm from police wrongdoing.

On Thursday, Feb. 17, the Chicago City Council Committee on Finance voted 13-7 to settle for $1.675 million with Mia Wright and four other people with her when she was pulled from a car by at least seven officers in a mall parking lot on May 31, 2020.

The officers had been staking out the mall on that day of looting across Chicago, and the five were targeted as suspects.

The committee vote fell along color lines, with only the 13 Black committee members participating in the meeting voting for the settlement to the group of five African-Americans. The next step is a vote on the settlement by the full council this week.

Alderman Raymond Lopez said in opposing the settlement that the city would be opening a “Pandora’s box” by settling the lawsuit and would give “everyone an excuse to start suing.” By early last December the city of Chicago had already paid out more than $67 million in 2021 alone to resolve police misconduct claims.

Wright, who would receive the largest payout if approved by the Council, says her violent confrontation with the police on that May afternoon left her blind in one eye and impeded her dream of becoming a paramedic.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/excuse-start ... 00831.html
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

raison de arizona wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:10 pm The video.
:snippity:
White guy starts the fight, clearly. One police officer "takes down" the Black kid while the other coddles the white kid, appearing to make sure he's OK before joining the other police in the take down of the guy who essentially was defending himself after being physically assaulted leaving the guy who started the altercation sitting on the couch not even handcuffed.

Like I said in a previous thread, 1/2 step forward, 2 steps back.

I think I will go for a short hike. I need to clear my head today. Way too much toxic stuff going on.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.treehugger.com/what-is-envi ... sm-5185776
What Is Environmental Racism? Injustices Throughout History and Today
Plus, learn how to get involved in the environmental justice movement.

Environmental racism is defined as the disproportionate impact of environmental hazards on people of color. Environmental justice is the movement against environmental racism—one focused on minimizing environmental impacts on all people, advocating for fairer environmental policies and lawmaking, and installing greater protections for BIPOC communities.

Environmental racism has encompassed many types of environmental issues and discriminations that still persist today. Incidents of environmental racism might be widely publicized, such as the water crisis in Flint, Michigan. On the other hand, many cases are not as well-known and sometimes framed outside of the scope of racism, such as disproportionate heat deaths.

Early Recognition of Environmental Racism
Most research looks to the 1960s as the period in which the phrase “environmental racism” began to be used in the United States. Later in the 1980s, its definition became more widely used and known.1 However, we know based on the country’s long history of normalizing racist concepts and beliefs that environmental racism dates back much further, before it was ever officially defined.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
raison de arizona

Speaking of environmental racism, I recall seeing maps back when I lived in NYC showing the number of trees in white neighborhoods vs. minority neighborhoods. You can guess how that went. :(

Trevor Noah, breaking down racism in Ukraine reporting.
raison de arizona

James Baldwin and Nikki Giovanni. Depressing how relevant this video still is.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://aublr.org/2021/03/the-role-of-r ... n-payouts/
The Role of Racial Bias in NFL Concussion Payouts

Former National Football League (“NFL”) players filed suit[1] against the NFL for using discriminatory practices to determine whether players qualify for NFL concussion settlement payouts.[2] In 2020, Kevin Henry and Najeh Davenport, two retired Black NFL players, filed suit “accusing the league of ‘explicitly and deliberately’ discriminating against Black players filing dementia-related claims.’”[3] The NFL characterizes the accusation as “entirely misguided” and shifts all potential blame to the clinicians administering the examinations.[4] Three ABC News journalists investigated the allegations and uncovered the role race plays in determining payout eligibility.[5] In the wake of 2020, a year filled with racial turmoil, American society collectively pledged to examine traditional practices in all fields to root out both implicit and explicit racism and bias.[6] Henry and Davenport’s suit against the NFL illustrates what appears to be an ongoing racial bias both within the NFL and the scientific community.

The ABC News investigation found that the clinicians administering the neurocognitive assessments relied on the NFL manual, which called for the use of “race-norming.”[7] Several clinicians spoke with regret while voicing concerns about the NFL’s protocols, characterizing the protocols as superseding their professional judgment and not allowing flexibility in administering the neurological assessments.[8] One clinician stated, “[m]y experience is that when clinicians deviate from the algorithm, there are multiple inquiries levied at them.”[9]

Through race-norming, the assessments place Black players at a lower cognitive function than white players.[10]By utilizing demographic correction, clinicians base their analysis of data on “norms” which places “the average Black [player’s initial base] at a lower level of cognitive functioning than the average white player at the outset of their careers, [which then requires] Black players to show larger cognitive declines than white players to qualify for compensation.”[11]In response to race norming, several Harvard-affiliated doctors wrote a paper concluding that “[w]hen clinicians insert race into their tools, they risk interpreting racial disparities as immutable facts rather than as injustices that require intervention.”[12] The paper further recommended that “[r]esearchers and clinicians [] distinguish between the use of race in descriptive statistics, where it plays a vital role in epidemiologic analyses, and in prescriptive clinical guidelines, where it can exacerbate inequities.”[13] Some clinicians administering the assessments are seemingly frustrated by their role and complicity in perpetuating “racial inequity in payouts,” acknowledging they should have “been better advocates.”[14]One clinician stated, “(b)ottom line is that the norms do discriminate against Black players”; “(s)o now what?”[15]

Decades of research and advocacy regarding the long-term impact of repeated brain trauma experienced by NFL players led to the 2014 NFL concussion settlement.[16] More than 4,500 former NFL players filed a class-action lawsuit against the NFL for “concealing the dangers of concussions and rushing injured players back onto the field.”[17] The settlement provided that “individual awards [] be capped at $5 million for men with Alzheimer’s disease; $4 million for those diagnosed after their deaths with a brain condition called chronic traumatic encephalopathy; and $3 million for players with dementia.”[18] Several controversies linger over the settlement, but Henry and Davenport’s accusations highlight how the NFL financially benefits from the use of racial bias in determining payout eligibility.[19]

Henry and Davenport are attempting to hold the NFL accountable and demonstrate the racial bias’s monetary consequences.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.

Return to “Current Politics”